Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1416 Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Adding Sioux Falls, SD to this Official thread. If the Sioux Falls activity increases, let me know, and I'll use a separate thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1416 Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is everyone around Sioux City still getting KSFY? Seems like it's gone away for me. Also wondering about KSIN. I get max. signal at 28-1 but there's no picture.

P.S. - Dave, thanks for getting KTIV-DT back to 4:3 for SD material.

Mark
post #243 of 1416 Old 10-01-2004, 06:15 AM

Mark

Your not alone... I'm having problems to with KSFY. KSIN... there's been a couple of times I have notice there's no picture
post #244 of 1416 Old 10-01-2004, 08:08 AM

I have a question for any Sioux Falls SD Midcontinet cable HD users.

DO any of you use Cablecard?

Here is a repost from the HDTV equipment thread.

Quote:

Well, its been over a month since my last update so I will refresh everyone. I purchased a Mits 52525 and had a hard time getting my cable company to respond to me about installing a Cablecard. Early in August, I finally got a response and they sent someone out. The install failed after trying 3 hours and they left a STB. The installer said they would research it and call them in a few weeks if I had not heard from them.

A month goes by and I call. Their customer support refused to help me. All he would say is that they do not support cable card. I said that was BS and that I was instructed to call back from the installer. He again said that they dont support cable cards. I said... Isn't it FCC mandatory that they do... and didn't your website say you do all summer? He said someone would call me back. Well, its been a week with no call.

Midcontinent cable in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

I am getting so frustrated with them pretending I don't exist. Anyone know anybody I should be calling?
post #245 of 1416 Old 10-01-2004, 01:57 PM

I received a email back from KSFY chief engineer that they have not done any changes since they went on the air. same power and everything. Hopefully with the trees loosing there leaves and the change in the weather Will help.
I don't get as solid signal as I use to but it's OK.. I've watched Lost and that looked AWESOME... to bad thy don't pass DD5.1

Craig
post #246 of 1416 Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 AM

Hello
Anyone watching the race on KTIV-DT... I called the control room to see if they would flip the switch.. and the person told me it's not in HD... I was told to call back tomorrow when someone was there...sorry guy's

Craig
post #247 of 1416 Old 10-03-2004, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's any comfort, our affiliate in Waterloo isn't HD or widescreen for this race, either.

EDIT: Looks like in the HD Programming forum there's a four-page thread with a roll call of all the places where there's no widescreen on this race. BTW, Des Moines appears to be among the "have nots," as well.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #248 of 1416 Old 10-04-2004, 07:52 PM

I exchanged a few e-mails with Dave Madsen of KTIV and I think we'll see the remaining NASCAR & Busch races in SD widescreen (I hope!!!).

Mark
post #249 of 1416 Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 PM

I was able to tweak my antenna position so that I just get the SF ABC & CBS stations, Vermillion PBS, and KTIV NBC without using a rotor. Took a few visits to the roof with my wrench to slightly move the antenna to find the sweet spot.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #250 of 1416 Old 10-08-2004, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is KTTW (FOX) HD yet in Sioux Falls?
post #251 of 1416 Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
KTTW not HD yet, just digital.
post #252 of 1416 Old 10-09-2004, 08:09 AM

CableOne in Sioux City came out yesterday and installed a cablecard into my new Sony. After an hour of dinking around, they called Phoenix to have their computers authorize my card. It works fine now - the card costs $2.95 per month and allows me to watch anything I subscribe to, including the HBO-HD channel, ESPN2-HD and Iowa Public TV's PBS-HD feed.

Too bad I can't receive KTIV's NBC HD feed via cable. Guess that's too much to expect - that the local cable company and KTIV would find a way to actually serve their shared customer base.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
post #253 of 1416 Old 10-18-2004, 07:29 PM

FOX 44 in Sioux City:

I can now receive KPTH's digital signal very well with my new Sony, but there is NO sound. I called the engineer at the station, she said her STB picked up the signal -- and the sound -- with no problem.

Anybody else have this situation?

post #254 of 1416 Old 10-19-2004, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

For whatever reason I have to change my audio settings to I think it is audio 3 to pick up the sound on 44. I have to do this every time I change the channel to 44-1. Try moving your audio to a different channel.Worked for me. I do not know why the audio will not come on automatically.

Bill
post #255 of 1416 Old 10-19-2004, 12:18 PM

I got a reply from Ed Hoffman at KTTW about a timeframe for HDTV.

"I do not believe it will happen anytime soon. We do not have the equipment to encode HDTV and are not looking at it soon."

So much for salvaging any of the fox NFL games this year. :-(
post #256 of 1416 Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 PM

Does ANYBODY in Siouxland receive the KPTH digital signal? Do you get audio as well?

post #257 of 1416 Old 10-20-2004, 05:12 PM

I do get the KPTH-DT signal in Morningside, but I have to have the rotor set just right to get enough signal for a solid picture. Their power must be very low - I get 5x the signal from Sioux Falls KELO. I do get audio as well.

Mark
post #258 of 1416 Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orlun
I have a question for any Sioux Falls SD Midcontinet cable HD users.

DO any of you use Cablecard?

Here is a repost from the HDTV equipment thread.

I am getting so frustrated with them pretending I don't exist. Anyone know anybody I should be calling?

Midco came out today to install my CableCard but failed. The cable guy said he had the exact same HDTV (Sony 42WE655) and had the same problems...which is why he only stayed for five minutes. I'm suppose to hear from them next week. I'll keep you all posted with what I find out.
post #259 of 1416 Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 PM

A week after the first attempt, and Midco was able to get a CableCard working for my system. They still have a learning curve to master...but I'm pleased they resolved the problems so soon...

-Bryan
post #260 of 1416 Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Thanks KTTW for being another Sioux Falls podunk station that does not plan to go HD anytime soon. Perhaps you should get together with KDLT since you are both Mickey Mouse operations. Gee, national feeds of NBC and FOX will soon be HD on DirecTV, but alas, I can not get any waiver for fear that these stations might lose the 3 people that watch them.
post #261 of 1416 Old 11-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

wxman,

I am waiting until we get locals on DirecTV, then I'm going to ask, "If I sign up for locals (whick I do not need as I get them all OK) why can't we also turn on my network HD feeds?" Maybe lame try, but has logic to it as now I would be paying for network feeds.

I am going to find a way to get FOX HD before Super Bowl.

I may have to "move" one of my HD receivers to my family farm. I have not done this yet as my understanding is that when DTV turns on the local feeds that the national network feeds will no longer be offered to people in white areas so I am not sure how they will be handling the HD feeds to those areas.... or maybe I need to do it before they turn on local feeds to be grandfathered in.
post #262 of 1416 Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 AM

Took a shot at scanning for any more digital channels now that the leaves are off the trees and could pick up KSIN-DT on my box. It comes in as channel 27-1 but I also had 4 subchannels mapped as well: 27-2 - 27-5. For those who receive KSIN-DT, are these channels ever used for any broadcasts? I have never seen anything on any of them yet and want to delete them from my channels if they are useless.

Also to anyone with DirecTV. I receive the DirecTV FOX channels 388 & 389 as part of my monthly package. I also have the DirecTV HD package and was able to receive the MLB LCS & World Series games on channels 89 & 90. Does this mean when FOX HD comes on full time I can receive these channels like I can with 388 & 389? Does anyone know how that works?
post #263 of 1416 Old 11-09-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Husker
Took a shot at scanning for any more digital channels now that the leaves are off the trees and could pick up KSIN-DT on my box. It comes in as channel 27-1 but I also had 4 subchannels mapped as well: 27-2 - 27-5. For those who receive KSIN-DT, are these channels ever used for any broadcasts? I have never seen anything on any of them yet and want to delete them from my channels if they are useless.

Can't speak to KSIN, but KRIN (their Waterloo transmitter) used only subchannel 1 for PBS-HD programming and subchannel 2 to simulcast IPTV analog. 3, 4 and 5 had "No A/V".

However, subchannel 2 hasn't been working since the State Fair ended. When I e-mailed IPTV engineering about this, they told me it was because their encoder was a loaner, but new encoders are on order.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #264 of 1416 Old 11-10-2004, 07:51 AM

On the subject of subchannels, I'm really unhappy with KELO-DT and their "11-2" or "UPN" subchannel they are also broadcasting. It's not that noticeable on network primetime shows, but with the CBS HD football games, both college and NFL, the quality really suffers. The "far away" shots look pretty good yet, but on the close ups and some other replay shots the "blocking" issues are 10x's worse then they were before the second subchannel was added. Has anyone else noticed this? Very disappointing as I can't say I've watched a single show on that channel since they added it.
post #265 of 1416 Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Husker
On the subject of subchannels, I'm really unhappy with KELO-DT and their "11-2" or "UPN" subchannel they are also broadcasting. It's not that noticeable on network primetime shows, but with the CBS HD football games, both college and NFL, the quality really suffers. The "far away" shots look pretty good yet, but on the close ups and some other replay shots the "blocking" issues are 10x's worse then they were before the second subchannel was added. Has anyone else noticed this? Very disappointing as I can't say I've watched a single show on that channel since they added it.

I'm in Watertown and the channels are 3-1 and 3-2, and I notice exactly what you mention. CBS games on NFL Sunday Ticket have very little of this, so the lack of bandwidth plays a huge part in picture quality during action scenes.
post #266 of 1416 Old 11-10-2004, 08:08 AM

One of the folks who posts on this thread, Dave Madsen, has just been promoted to General Manager of KTIV in Sioux City. Dave has generously provided answers and insight to some of our HDTV questions.

Congratulations, Dave. Keep that digital stream flowing -- and please sign an agreement with CableOne to get KTIV-DT on local cable.

post #267 of 1416 Old 11-11-2004, 06:08 PM

Congrats, Dave!!!!!!!!!
post #268 of 1416 Old 11-13-2004, 04:58 AM

BVfan, you have a PM.
post #269 of 1416 Old 11-13-2004, 07:47 AM

BVfan:

Now that the Sioux Falls locals are being marketed by DirecTV, have you tried signing up for them and getting the Network HD feeds with it? I would assume DirecTV will need to get waivers from the local stations. What are the chances?
post #270 of 1416 Old 11-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Now that we have locals I am going to call JoAnn at Alliance (formerly SplitRock Telecommunications) to see what we can do on Mon or Tues.

I may have to "move" to the family farm or to Brookings where my son is for the months of Dec-Feb so I can watch Fox football playoffs and the Super Bowl this year.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page