Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 581 Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A response to my query;
Dear Keith,
Yes, when we start to broadcast KSBW_ABC Central Coast, it will be on Digital Channel 8.2 for free over the air in HD like KSBW_NBC 8.1. Some shows are not in HD and some technical difficulties make it hard to bring continual HD content but we are working on it!
As for the paid providers, this you must contact the service for more details. I can tell you right now that a few of the cable services do carry us in HD and one of the satellite services as well. The other's do promise to rebroadcast us in HD. As a paying customer to those services we ask that this be brought to there attention since the paying customer will have more voice then us as content provider's
Thank you for the note and thanks for watching KSBW!
Have a great day!

Mike DeLaRosa
Assistant to the President
Programming Coordinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
According to the Uplink Report on the Satellite Guys web site, two new local stations are now available on Dish Network in the Monterey/Salinas market:
5274 KQET 25
5278 KSMS 67
They're on the 129W satellite.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #543 of 581 Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Noticed KQET HD last week here in Santa Cruz; very pleased to get PBS in high-def at long last!
post #544 of 581 Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM

According to a notice by Comcast in today's Herald, Comcast is scheduled to drop
KGO on April 18.

I assume this means that is the date KSBW will begin airing ABC on 8-2.
post #545 of 581 Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM

It will be on Dish and cable too, Direct TV in June.
http://www.ksbw.com/video/27241730/detail.html
Keith Trinity
post #546 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM

OTA tuner in the Samsung is fine, the show info is correct. But my Dishnetwork VIP622 has the wrong guide for 8.2 OTA.
(I don't see 8.2 on the Dish yet, and KEYT 3 ABC is still available)

Station ID from the samsung is "CC ABC". On the 622 it shows "CC A" and pulls up some unknown guide info, IE on now is "The Bat" and coming up is "Father Knows Best" instead of "Regis" and "The View" respectively.
I want to get the OTA guide to work so I have that extra tuner available to DVR!
Maybe I can edit the name to get it to pull the right guide???
8.1 is "KSBW-T", short for "KSBW-TV"
Keith Trinity in Soquel
post #547 of 581 Old 04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the uplink reports on Satelliteguys.us, KSBW 8.2 has replaced KEYT on Dish Network channel 5270 today and is listed as KSBWD. It is also shown in the guide as channel 16.

KEYT was moved from channel 5270 to channel 9191, SD only. It is shown as channel 3.

From the looks of this, you now have both ABC stations on Dish, one in HD, one is SD.

Larry
SF

post #548 of 581 Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Hey folks.

I'm up in Santa Cruz with a Comcast basic package. I was getting KSBW in HD on channel RF90-1 but that's gone. I've rescanned and can only get KSBW in standard TV now, not HD.

Anyone know what gives?
post #549 of 581 Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I live in Santa Cruz in the Westside area right by UCSC campus off Nobel Dr. I am currently using a Mohu Leaf antenna as I've read those get pretty good reception. Right now I only want to try to get a few local channels in HD (NBC 8.1, ABC 8.2, FOX 35.1, and KION CBS 46.1) as I only watch these channels.

I can receive 8.1, 8.2 and 46.1 fine, but for some reason I can't get 35.1 clearly. And if I do get 35.1 by moving my antenna, I won't receive 46.1.

Can anyone help? Would I need one of those directional antennas? I'm not terribly far away from the towers (~35 miles) but I do have a lot of tree cover nearby and I am in the middle apartment of my complex, maybe this has to do with it.

Perhaps it has to do with my Mohu Leaf being a UHF antenna. I think 35.1 and 8.1 and 8.2 are VHF right?

Can anyone recommend me a good lower profile, or smaller indoor VHF antenna?
post #550 of 581 Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Yes, 35 (RFch 13) and 8 are VHF. I suggest trying a settop rabbit ears type that has both rod elements for VHF and a loop or something for UHF. That way you can adjust one without changing the other. Of course getting something outside or in the clear would be better yet. There are some low power stations that you could get... Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme1760 View Post

I live in Santa Cruz in the Westside area right by UCSC campus off Nobel Dr. I am currently using a Mohu Leaf antenna as I've read those get pretty good reception. Right now I only want to try to get a few local channels in HD (NBC 8.1, ABC 8.2, FOX 35.1, and KION CBS 46.1) as I only watch these channels.

I can receive 8.1, 8.2 and 46.1 fine, but for some reason I can't get 35.1 clearly. And if I do get 35.1 by moving my antenna, I won't receive 46.1.

Can anyone help? Would I need one of those directional antennas? I'm not terribly far away from the towers (~35 miles) but I do have a lot of tree cover nearby and I am in the middle apartment of my complex, maybe this has to do with it.

Perhaps it has to do with my Mohu Leaf being a UHF antenna. I think 35.1 and 8.1 and 8.2 are VHF right?

Can anyone recommend me a good lower profile, or smaller indoor VHF antenna?

post #551 of 581 Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Can anyone tell me if ch2 KOTR is transmitting in the Monterey Bay area?
Keith WE6R
post #552 of 581 Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes, KOTR is still on analog 2. I just checked.

Chuck

post #553 of 581 Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested in the details of TV station changes, here is a summary of what's happened in recent weeks in the San Francisco, Sacramento and Monterey markets:

RF 11 new station for Monterey dismissed
RF 11 KOTR Santa Cruz 1.85 kW on Loma Prieta Mt. - construction permit approved
RF 25 KOVR 13 Stockton now transmitting at 1000 kW
RF 26 KTFK 64 Stockton now transmitting at 850 kW
RF 32 KFTY 50 Santa Rosa is now KEMO airing Azteca America as of October 1. They have requested a power increase to 50 kW
RF 32 K32KK Stockton 5 kW at 272 feet to transmit from Hughson - construction permit approved
RF 39 K39JM Sacramento power increase to 15 kW - construction permit approved
RF 40 KMMC 40 San Francisco has switched to digital airing MTV-TR3S from Mt. San Bruno. They applied to increase their power from 3.2 to 44 kW. I don't know what they're running now.
RF 42 KPIX 5 translator Napa 1.28 kW on Mt Vaca - construction permit approved
RF 43 KMCE Monterey channel change from 46 to 43 and power increase to 15 kW - construction permit approved
RF 45 KBCW 44 San Francisco now licensed for 1000 kW
RF 49 K49KS Santa Rosa is licensed for digital operation at 1 kW with transmitter at 341 feet northeast of Santa Rosa (Has anyone seen this station on the air?)
RF 50 KTEH 54 San Jose call sign change to KQEH
RF 51 KBTV 8 Sacramento has requested a move from ch 51 to ch 27

Source: AVS Forum, W9WI monthly updates and FCC website

Larry
SF

post #554 of 581 Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Another new low power station has been authorized for Monterey. It's K07ZK-D which will operate on channel 7 from Mt. Toro at 2487 feet HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) with 300 watts.

KDJT has a construction permit for channel 33 from Fremont Peak running 9.2 kW at 2405 feet HAAT. Supposedly they've been operating as channel 67.2 from KSMS's transmitter on channel 31, but they've had a Special Temporary Authority to operate on channel 33 until they get they new transmitter and antenna installed. Are they still operating on KSMS's transmitter and has anyone seen a signal on channel 33? I want to keep my DTV station list up to date, but have to rely on you folks to keep me updated. Thanks.

Larry
SF

post #555 of 581 Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Larry,

KDJT was still on analog 33 the last time I checked about a week ago. I'll let you know if that changes. And yes, they were on KSMS 67.2 the last time I had conditions good enough to receive it. KSMS is surprisingly weak here.

Well great..... a new station channel 7. Just what I don't need. I'm finally getting KGO most of the time and now a potential source of interference might show up. I can always hope they never build it like most of the other LPs that have gone unbuilt. If they build it, there will be times when it completely over powers KGO.

Chuck

post #556 of 581 Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update on KDJT, Chuck.

Larry
SF

post #557 of 581 Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Larry,

I checked KDJT today and there is no signal there. Analog is definitely off. I cannot see any digital signal on 33 pointed in that direction. I'll keep an eye on it to see if a new signal shows up or if the old one comes back on.

Chuck

post #558 of 581 Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Chuck.

To all of you in the Salinas-Monterey area, if you see any new digital stations or any changes in what you find on the air, please let me know so that I can keep my Digital Channel list up to date for your area. (See link below for the list.)

Larry
SF

post #559 of 581 Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested in the details of TV station changes, here is another summary of what's happened in recent weeks in the San Francisco-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton and Salinas-Monterey markets:

RF 7 K07ZK Monterey - new station has been approved for channel 7 running 300 watts from Mt. Toro
RF 21 KMUV Monterey - analog station on channel 23 has been approved to go digital on channel 21 with 1 kW from Fremont Peak. Station has applied for increase in power to 4.5 kW.
RF 27 KBTV 8 Sacramento - has been granted a change of channel from channel 51 to channel 27
RF 27 KTSF 26 San Francisco - has been granted a power increase to 858 kW
RF 33 KDJT 33 Salinas - station has been approved to go digital with 9.2 kW from Fremont Peak
RF 40 KMMC 40 San Francisco - station has requested power increase from 3.2 to 6 kW. Previous request for increase to 44 kW was rejected.
RF 42 KAXT 1 San Jose/San Francisco - station has been granted a power increase to 1.5 kW

Source: AVS Forum, W9WI monthly updates and FCC website

Larry
SF

post #560 of 581 Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm still hoping that someday DirecTV will add the Monterey Salinas channels as HD locals. I'm using an antenna for a couple of them but it sure would nice to get them all in HD rather than the 2 channels I reliably receive OTA.

Any word on 2012?
post #561 of 581 Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Correction:

RF 42 KAXT 1 San Jose/San Francisco - station has been granted a power increase to 15 kW, not 1.5 kW

Larry
SF

post #562 of 581 Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM

KMCE is now transmitting digital on RF 46, Monterey Salinas market.
.1 Azteca
.2 Mega TV (color bars)
.3 PGM3 (color bars)
.4 TV FE (color bars)
Note; they are still on analog 43 too (Azteca).
And 100% signal strength with lots of pixalating.
Keith Trinity
post #563 of 581 Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like on or around January 12 KSMS increased power from 50KW to 1000KW.

Chuck

post #564 of 581 Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There have been quite a few changes in the Monterey-Salinas area in the past couple of months... new channels, analog stations going digital, networks like Universal Sports going off and replaced by another service, etc. Would someone down there be willing to take a look at my DTV Station Lists linked below and compare it to what's actually on the air in your area? I mainly need to know about program changes on the sub-channels so that I can keep my list up to date.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Larry
SF

post #565 of 581 Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi, Just moved to Monterey and I'm looking for some info on getting local HD channels. It appears that they aren't available here through DirectTV and Comcast is really expensive. Using www.antennaweb.org it looks like at the least I could receive Fox (WCBA) and NBC (KSBW) over the air which is good enough for me. Has anyone else living in Monterey/Pacific Grove had success getting this channels over the air and if so, what antenna has been the most successful? Thanks, any info will help.
-scm
post #566 of 581 Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm23 View Post

Hi, Just moved to Monterey and I'm looking for some info on getting local HD channels.
-scm

For the most accurate report on what you should be able to get, go to tvfool.com (weird name, but it works real well), put in your exact address and it'll give you a list of all the stations you should get, shown in order of strength. It also shows the direction of the stations' transmitters from your home.

Anything in the green area you should get with just a small antenna. As you go down the page you'll see stations that are in the yellow area that you can get with a larger antenna. You might even be able to get a station or two in the pink area, but those are usually too weak to receive without a major antenna installation high in the air.

If you go to my Broadcasting page linked below you'll find a section on antennas. Most of companies will indicate the coverage of the antennas they're selling using the codes shown in the TVFool report, so you'll be see what you'll need. Make sure you get an antenna good for both VHF and UHF as there are stations on both bands in your area.

Larry
SF

post #567 of 581 Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 17
Larry,

I have a home theater client struggling with the same thing. He is located in Monterey above the Presidio at 500 ft above sea level with a clear shot at both SF and the Salinas transmitters. Or so we thought.

A rooftop yagi gave us 100% signal strength across all the Salinas Monterey OTA stations, so we ordered a Channel Master monster yagi and pointed it toward SF. We got squat on our first try. TV fool suggests some signal may be possible (he lives on Cuesta Vista, Monterey) but no joy yet.

Are we wasting our time trying for SF which is easily 110 miles North by Northwest. We have not yet tried San Jose and Santa Cruz.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Dave
Monterey
post #568 of 581 Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post

Larry,

I have a home theater client struggling with the same thing. He is located in Monterey above the Presidio at 500 ft above sea level with a clear shot at both SF and the Salinas transmitters. Or so we thought.

A rooftop yagi gave us 100% signal strength across all the Salinas Monterey OTA stations, so we ordered a Channel Master monster yagi and pointed it toward SF. We got squat on our first try. TV fool suggests some signal may be possible (he lives on Cuesta Vista, Monterey) but no joy yet.

Are we wasting our time trying for SF which is easily 110 miles North by Northwest. We have not yet tried San Jose and Santa Cruz.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Dave
Monterey

110 miles is a looooong distance for TV reception. Usually about 65 to 70 miles is the limit unless you have some altitude and a high gain antenna. You apparently have the high gain antenna but I don't think 500 feet above sea level is enough height to get anything from Mt. San Bruno or Sutro Tower.

Looking at the TVFool report for that area of Monterey, way down the list in the extreme fringe signal area, I find the channels listed that transmit from the hills above Fremont (14, 36, 48 and 50), but there are none listed from Mt. San Bruno or Sutro Tower. I think you're just too far away to receive them.

Larry
SF

post #569 of 581 Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 17
Larry,

Thank you.

You have saved us a lot of work. It is time to give up and move on to other agenda items.

Dave
post #570 of 581 Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post

Larry,

Thank you.

You have saved us a lot of work. It is time to give up and move on to other agenda items.

Dave

I looked into it a little deeper and it's impossible. See the Terrain Plot I attached. Ignore the red line. The blue line is taking into account the height of Sutro tower and 50' off the ground at your end. Sutro is 86 miles at a heading of exactly 340 degrees. It's at least a 3 edge path if not 4 or 5 edges. The real killer is that you have a 732' hill 1 mile down the path which is the final nail in the coffin.

Chuck
LL

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page