Monterey, CA - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 582 Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I looked into it a little deeper and it's impossible. See the Terrain Plot I attached. Ignore the red line. The blue line is taking into account the height of Sutro tower and 50' off the ground at your end. Sutro is 86 miles at a heading of exactly 340 degrees. It's at least a 3 edge path if not 4 or 5 edges. The real killer is that you have a 732' hill 1 mile down the path which is the final nail in the coffin.

Chuck

Yowser. Way worse than I first thought..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 582 Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
Hi folks. Is anyone having any trouble with the KSBW ABC channel, 8.2? Its as if the screen freezes for a second during programming, before catching up. The sound is fine, but it's almost unwatchable with the choppiness of the screen freezes. I had Comcast Basic cable while living in Santa Cruz, and it was doing it there. I moved to Watsonville two months ago and I'm using an OTA HD antenna, and the problem presists. I contacted KSBW, but they claim there is no issue on their end. Is it my TV?
post #573 of 582 Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Guess I need to look at this forum more often. smile.gif Is this issue still going on? I don't look at 8.2 that often. I just put it on and it looks fine. I'd be really surprised if it was a KSBW problem because they'd be getting a ton of complaints. It might be your TV although I can't imagine why it would only be 8.2. Do you have another TV you can try?

Chuck
post #574 of 582 Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Hi, I just moved to Pacific Grove, and bought a Mohu Plus Amplified Leaf indoor antenna. Currently the antenna is on the ceiling in the bathroom (not the most eye appealing place). An outdoor antenna is out of the question because I am in an apartment. I am able to receive the most stations here (8.1/8.2, 35.1, and very spotty, but 25.1/25.2/25.3, along with 31.1/31.2/31.3 showing up but with no picture). I have tried almost everywhere in this apartment with no luck on gaining anymore stations.

I have always had cable before joining the army, but this is definitely a cheaper alternative. I have a few questions since I am new to OTA reception:
Is there a better indoor antenna out there for me other than the Amplified Leaf?
Is there a certain direction or way of hanging the antenna that I should be doing?
Would a DTV converter box be able to find more stations than my digital ready tv, thus allowing me to fine tune the antenna when I finally get sound/picture? (currently the tv stops at a few places and scans for a minute before jumping percentage wise).

I have tried tvfool. Without antenna height for my address, it tells me I can get a few more channels. However when I put in how high my antenna will be (I downloaded an app on my iPhone...312 ft above sea level), it says I can receive even more stations, including CBS. Also I've wasted almost an entire box of tin foil hoping that would work.

Thanks!
post #575 of 582 Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleminer View Post

Hi, I just moved to Pacific Grove, and bought a Mohu Plus Amplified Leaf indoor antenna. Currently the antenna is on the ceiling in the bathroom (not the most eye appealing place). An outdoor antenna is out of the question because I am in an apartment. I am able to receive the most stations here (8.1/8.2, 35.1, and very spotty, but 25.1/25.2/25.3, along with 31.1/31.2/31.3 showing up but with no picture). I have tried almost everywhere in this apartment with no luck on gaining anymore stations.

Sounds like you're not receiving any stations from Mt. Toro; 46, 39, 22, etc.
Quote:
I have always had cable before joining the army, but this is definitely a cheaper alternative. I have a few questions since I am new to OTA reception:
Is there a better indoor antenna out there for me other than the Amplified Leaf?

Lots of people like the Winegard SS3000 but I can't guarantee success with any particular antenna.
Quote:
Is there a certain direction or way of hanging the antenna that I should be doing?

No, it's hit and miss. An indoor antenna may require a different position for every station.
Quote:
Would a DTV converter box be able to find more stations than my digital ready tv, thus allowing me to fine tune the antenna when I finally get sound/picture? (currently the tv stops at a few places and scans for a minute before jumping percentage wise).

If anything the TV tuner is likely to be better than a converter box. The scanning situation you describe happens when the TV finds a signal but is unable to decode it. This most likely means that the signal is strong enough but there is too much multipath. Moving the antenna may improve this for that particular station.
Quote:
I have tried tvfool. Without antenna height for my address, it tells me I can get a few more channels. However when I put in how high my antenna will be (I downloaded an app on my iPhone...312 ft above sea level), it says I can receive even more stations, including CBS. Also I've wasted almost an entire box of tin foil hoping that would work.
Thanks!

The problem is likely multipath issues. TVFool cannot account for this, only signal strength. It would be helpful if you have some way to tune to the problem channel and move the antenna until it can be decoded.

Chuck
post #576 of 582 Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
this is for larry kenney, a regular poster on the sf bay thread, he keeps a comprhensive list of stations on his website

today i noticed theres a new subchannel, 67.4 "zuus" showing a mix of music videos in english and spanish
post #577 of 582 Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
KZSC channel 20 is supposedly on the air from Fremont Peak. Can someone confirm this for me and also tell me what programming the station is carrying? I would like to update my DTV Station List.

Thanks.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #578 of 582 Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KSCZ? A friend of mine drove up to the tower (which was not on Fremont Peak as far as I know) and got a digital signal with no PSIP carrying static.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1492830&map=Y

http://www.rabbitears.info/screencaps/ca-sfo/167279-0_0.htm

KSCZ-20 Snapshot 54k .jpg file

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #579 of 582 Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
KSCZ is in the mountains 5 or so miles east of (other side of coyote valley from loma prieta) my house right above motorcycle park and the golf course, but the foothills block reception so i can only get it if i take my portable set up downtown. last time i checked it was still blank.

ill also check up on the kg46ld or whatever it is on the old ksbw tower, im pretty sure that i picked up azteca on it, and not rf 43.
post #580 of 582 Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
May 6, 2014 · Posted By Red Dana · Filed Under KQET

(DT25.1, 25.2, 25.3)

KQET’s Over The Air (OTA) signal will shut down late May 12/early Tues 5/13 shortly after midnight to allow for extensive electrical maintenance work at the transmitter. Engineers will do their best to complete the work by 6am Tuesday morning.

This will affect OTA viewers of the DT25 channels, and signal providers which use DT25.1 as their signal source for KQED/KQET. This will not affect Comcast Cable subscribers.

Most receivers should automatically find our signal again once it’s restored. However, some viewers may need to do a rescan in order to restore their reception.

http://blogs.kqed.org/transmitterstatus/2014/05/06/kqet-planned-overnight-outage-early-tues-513/

__._,_.___

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #581 of 582 Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
K07ZK-D, Monterey has filed a license to cover construction. The transmitter is licensed at the studios of KOTR-LP 2511 Garden Road, Monterey, CA
post #582 of 582 Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Exhibits
Exhibit 1
Description: BASIS FOR STA REQUEST

THE LICENSEE HAS TAKEN KOTR-LP, ANALOG CHANNEL 2, OFF THE AIR WHILE IT WORKS TO COMPLETE CONSTRUCTION OF THE STATION'S DIGITAL FACILITY ON DIGITAL CHANNEL 11.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page