Monterey, CA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 581 Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know what happened to 'the CW'?
For weeks I was watching a test pattern, then weeks of KION on 46.2 and suddenly -- nothing.

DTV is so frustrating. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 581 Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwiebel View Post

For weeks I was watching a test pattern, then weeks of KION on 46.2 and suddenly -- nothing.

DTV is so frustrating. :-)

Your post confused me a little - are you saying you're not receiving KION?

I just checked my TV 2 mins ago it appears to me that KION-DT is on-air.
post #93 of 581 Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwiebel View Post

46.2 The CW is back with streched SD simulcast of 46.1.
post #94 of 581 Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDave View Post

46.2 The CW is back with streched SD simulcast of 46.1.

Interesting - I didn't know this channel existed. Just did a channel scan and there it is!

Why do they call it "the CW"?
post #95 of 581 Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfshark View Post

Interesting - I didn't know this channel existed. Just did a channel scan and there it is!

Why do they call it "the CW"?

Never mind - found it out myself, the CW is the combined UPN/WB network. Guess that Clear Channel (owner of KION) is going to have a CW local affiliate on 46-2, although there is nothing on the CW website (cwtv.com) about it.

Personally I'd rather have them keep broadcasting the streched CBS SD - I hate the black bars on SD content on 46-1.
post #96 of 581 Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know if Comcast in Mty passes the HD local stations in the clear?

I'm interested in knowing if it is possible to receive the HD locals using a clear QAM tuner - without using a Comcast STB.

I get local channels in HD in Scotts Valley. I have Comcast basic cable service and the cable is plugged directly into my Panasonic HDTV with a QAM tuner (no cable box or cable card) and I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS in HD.
post #97 of 581 Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Here's one man's experience with receiving digital OTA in the Monterey area. I hope it will encourage others to give OTA reception a try.

My house is located just off of Hwy 68, between Laguna Seca Golf Course and Laguna Seca Raceway. The house is slightly above the level
of Hwy 68, but is in a bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. I am mainly concerned with reception of:
KSBW8 NBC Digital ch 10, 20 mi to the NE
KCBA35 Fox Digital ch 13, 20 mi to the NE
KION46 CBS Digital ch 32, 9 mi to the SE
KCAH26 PBS Digital ch 58, 20 mi to the NE

I am able to receive a good picture with no dropouts on all but KCAH. KCAH seems to be a lost cause where I am located.

I started with the idea that it was unlikely I would receive anything. This was based on the topography around my home, and the comments of my D* installer and the folks at Radio Shack in Del Monte ctr, who both said that I would only be able to receive digital channels OTA if I was located on a hillside near the ocean. The guy at Radio Shack even refused to sell me an antenna - "Just go with cable if you want HD locals". He threw down the gauntlet, and I accepted the challenge.

Based on posts here on AVS forum, I selected the Channelmaster 4228. My logic was that it was a UHF antenna with excellent gain for the high VHF channels I was trying to receive (10 and 13). I started with the idea that I would mount it outdoors. To test reception I bought a couple of sections of antenna mast from Radio Shack, and used my Ultimate bicycle tripod stand to hold the mast and antenna. I also purchased a Sencore signal meter on ebay to make it easier to peak the antenna signal.

To my surprise, I received a strong signal (anywhere from -14 to -3 db) for KION right off the bat. Anything in the general direction of the tower yielded a strong signal. KSBW and KCBA were another matter. I was able to get an acceptable signal on either one of channel 10 and 13, but no one location worked for both. This was very curious to me since both channels 10 and 13 are broadcast from the same tower, and are on the same band. After much experimentation outdoors, I decided to try mounting the antenna in the attic. To my surprise it did not have a large negative effect on signal strength. My house has a tile roof. But I still was unable to find a location which would work for both channels 10 and 13. For a few weeks I left it mounted in the attic, set up to receive channels 10 and 32 only.

After researching the gain numbers for the CM4228 antenna at http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html, I noticed that the gain for this antenna dropped off between channels 10 and 13. The lost gain was apparently just enough to make the OTA tuner on my D* HR10-250 unable to sync reliably to the digital signal on ch 13. First I purchased the CM7777 preamp to see if that would boost the gain enough that the HR10-250 would sync to the signal for ch 13. Signal strength was higher with the preamp but still not good enough.

So I decided to try a high gain VHF/UHF antenna, reasoning that I had gain to spare on the UHF band but obviously needed more gain on the VHF side. I selected the Antennasdirect v-21 antenna.

I mounted the new antenna in the same attic location as the 4228, tweaking the position until I was able to reliably get the following readings (db readings are without the CM7777 preamp, HR10-250 readings are with the preamp connected):
-16 to -17 db for channels 10 and 13 = 60 on the HR10-250 signal meter
-13 db for channel 32 = 89 on the HR10-250 signal meter
-38 to -40 db for KCAH(58) = 0 on the HR10-250 signal meter

So I would call my quest for digital TV a success. I'm getting a good picture with no dropouts on all channels except KCAH. Luckily I get KCAH in SD via D*, and it doesn't appear that KCAH has much HD content anyway. I get ABC in HD (HD Lite) via D* DNS.

Here's my tips to those who would like to try to receive digital OTA:
1) Don't listen to anyone who tells you that the topography, etc. will prevent you from receiving a signal. Without hooking up an antenna and signal meter, no one can know for sure if you can receive a signal at your location. Even if surrounded by hills and trees, you may be able to receive a reasonable signal. Be prepared to give it a shot, and if you can't receive a signal then at least you know it for sure. Obviously you want to purchase antennas and stuff which you can return in case you can't get a signal.
2) Use antennaweb only as a rough guide. I would recommend stepping up to the next higher gain antenna than the one that antennaweb recommends. In my case antennaweb recommended a medium directional with preamp, I ended up with a long distance directional with preamp.
3) In our area, you probably want to lean toward an antenna which has better VHF gain than UHF gain. Although those of you who are farther away from the KION tower than I am may still need high UHF gain. Both the CM4228 and antennasdirect v-21 will do a good job for both VHF and UHF, the CM4228 doing a little better on UHF, and the antennasdirect v-21 doing a little better on VHF. If your'e closer to the KSBW/KCBA tower you may want to opt for the CM4228 antenna. Those closer to the KION tower may want to opt for the antennasdirect v21 antenna. Make sure you purchase the antenna from a dealer which accepts returns as it is very possible you may need to try several antennas to find the right one.
4) To test your signal I would recommend taking your ATSC tuner to the antenna location and connecting the tuner to the antenna and a small portable TV. Once you have determined you can receive any signal at all, a signal meter or spectrum analyzer will greatly simplify antenna aiming. I would not have been successful in aiming my antenna without one. I have a Sencore SLM1453 meter I purchased on ebay for ~$300. Signal meters such as the Sencore and the Sadelco Displaymax CLI, usually sell on ebay for $300-$700. If you don't want to spend money for a meter the ATSC tuner/portable TV combination should work ok. I would not recommend trying to point the antenna with someone standing downstairs giving you feedback. If your signal is marginal you'll be shocked how a small movement of the antenna will affect your signal strength readings.
5) Attic mounting is not out of the question even in a marginal location. Try the antenna outdoors on a portable tripod, and if you get a good signal, then proceed to the attic (but only if you don't have a metal roof :-)

As a postscript, check out PGDave's earlier post in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6018790 about receiving SF Digital channels OTA in the Monterey area. I tried to receive the SF digitals in my location using the antennasdirect xg-91, but was unable to receive any measurable signal. Luckily antennasdirect accepts returns :-) I have to assume that PGDave's home is located on a hillside near the ocean in order for him to receive any signal from SF.
post #98 of 581 Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 PM

Does anyone get NBC 11 out of San jose? i'm getting it at 80% down in Soledad
post #99 of 581 Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

Does anyone get NBC 11 out of San jose? i'm getting it at 80% down in Soledad

I'm getting no signal for KNTV here at Laguna Seca. PGDave is receiving KNTV, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6018790

I'm surprised you're receiving KNTV - according to www.2150.com/broadcast the KNTV transmitter is at Sutro in SF. That would make it 90-100 miles away from Soledad.

Does KNTV have another tower located closer to us? Do they broadcast digital on ch 12?
post #100 of 581 Old 08-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I'm getting no signal for KNTV here at Laguna Seca. PGDave is receiving KNTV, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6018790

I'm surprised you're receiving KNTV - according to www.2150.com/broadcast the KNTV transmitter is at Sutro in SF. That would make it 90-100 miles away from Soledad.

Does KNTV have another tower located closer to us? Do they broadcast digital on ch 12?

Just rescanned this thread, looks like KNTV has a transmitter at Loma Prieta on ch21. See
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4700732

Since KNTV is now the SF Bay's lone NBC affiliate, I would expect that they might kill this transmitter eventually since they have a transmitter at Sutro. But I suppose that folks in South San Jose might have difficulty receving a signal from Sutro, so perhaps they'll leave the Loma Prieta transmitter up and running.
post #101 of 581 Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM

For those receiving KCAH OTA, a couple of questions:
1) How does the signal strength compare to the other OTA channels you receive?
2) Do they ever broadcast any HD content?

I have an antennasdirect v-21 VHF/UHF antenna with CM7777 preamp, located 20 mi from the transmitter. I get good signals for all of the Mry locals except for KCAH - the signal for KCAH is approx 20db lower than all my other locals and is unusable. Looking at www.2150.com/broadcast KCAH is broadcasting from the same location as KCBA and KSBW, at what appears to be a high power level.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to receive KCAH. I also have not been able to get a decent signal for KCAH with a CM4228 antenna. This antenna will pick up every other local station from my location.
post #102 of 581 Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:

KNTV broadcasts from Mt. San Bruno, in South San Francisco, on digital channels 12.1 and 12.2. They do not have another transmitting location. The Loma Prieta transmitter was shut down when they moved to Mt. San Bruno.

When I wrote my first report, KNTV was still transmitting from Loma Prieta and was my strongest signal. Now, their signal is much weaker and I receive it only when atmospheric conditions are favorable.

In my never-ending quest for better reception, I have turned an old satellite dish into a terrestial antenna. After tilting the dish to an upright position, I removed the feedhorn and replaced it with the back 1/3 of an XG-91 UHF antenna coupled with a Winegard 8275 preamp.

It works like a champ and provides a much better signal than the stand-alone XG-91. However, it is much more directional so its off-axis performance is worse than the XG-91. I use an A-B switch to switch between antennas when I want to watch 36 or 46.

To improve high-vhf performance, I made a dipole for high VHF from a couple of strips of aluminum and wired it into the XG-91 box with twinlead. You can see the dipole attached behind the reflector in the photos below.

KCAH 25 does not broadcast any HD content at this time. My signal strength for 25.1 is 100%.

Please click on the links below to see photos of both antennas.
LL
LL
LL
post #103 of 581 Old 08-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Here's one man's experience with receiving digital OTA in the Monterey area. I hope it will encourage others to give OTA reception a try.

My house is located just off of Hwy 68, between Laguna Seca Golf Course and Laguna Seca Raceway. The house is slightly above the level
of Hwy 68, but is in a bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. I am mainly concerned with reception of:
KSBW8 NBC Digital ch 10, 20 mi to the NE
KCBA35 Fox Digital ch 13, 20 mi to the NE
KION46 CBS Digital ch 32, 9 mi to the SE
KCAH26 PBS Digital ch 58, 20 mi to the NE

I am able to receive a good picture with no dropouts on all but KCAH. KCAH seems to be a lost cause where I am located. .

Snarf,

I would like to add my two cents on Monterey OTA reception. My results are virtually identical to yours, not surprisingly since I think that we live less than a mile apart.

I am located at Hidden Mesa Place off Boots Road, 1 mile South of Highway 68 opposite Laguna Seca Golf Course. For the GPS inclined among you, I am 725 feet above sea level at N 36 degrees 33.833 minutes and W 121 degrees 47.063 minutes. I am located below the surrounding hills in a box canyon below Bay Ridge and am blocked on three sides by local hills. I am guessing from your description that you live in or near Pasadera CC.

Around June of 2004, I was told by a Carmel Valley friend that despite my previous inability to get any OTA analog TV, that I had a good shot at getting the digital OTA signals from the locals from their new tower locations.

Using a set of old rabbit ears initially and a Zenith Silver Sensor later, I was stunned that I was able to consistently get KION 46-1 and KSBW 8-1 with a relatively strong signal using my RCA DTC100 DirecTV receiver.

I have since replaced the DTC100 with an HR10-250 and despite some tuner sensitivity, when the locals are broadcasting, I can get KION 46-1, KCBA 35-1, The CW 46-2, KSBW 8-1 and KSBW Plus 8-2 with no difficulty whatsoever. I am unable to receive KCAH 25-1 no matter what gymnastics I attempt.

I might add that KSBW 8-1 is a hit and miss proposition. I am not certain why but there are many times when it pixelates so badly that I wonder if they have reduced power or if atmospheric conditions are affecting the signal, but suffice it to say it is the weakest of the locals and the one most likely to be off the air on an aperiodic basis.

I recently helped my neighbor capture OTA HD using a Samsung SIR T451 OTA receiver and I am amused to report that at his house we had better success with plain old rabbit ears than with my Silver Sensor. He is located 200-300 feet closer to Hwy 68 and in fact has a better view of the horizon than I, but the signal we got is so directional that the silver sensor will not pick up all five locals at the same time without reorientation, whereas the rabbit ears will. Go figure.

Not being one to crawl around rooftops at my age, I took advantage of some free "stuff" from D* and had them install their "POS" omnidirectional rooftop antenna, for no charge of course, and I can report it is worth exactly what I paid for it. Nothing. I still get a better signal using rabbit ears than the D* bistro table I now have perched atop my chimney.

Bottom line, using the HR10-250 signal meter as a measuring device, I get strong 80's to low 90's on KCBA 35-1 and KION 46-1. My KSBW 8-1 and 8-2 signals peak out at around 65 and they fluctuate a lot. I have not taken a measurement on 46-2 because I have no idea how to locate it using the HR10-250 OTA signal strength screen.

Those of us who are lucky enough to live in the Highway 68 corridor have a great chance to get all the locals (except KCAH 25-1). Our poor bretheren in Carmel Valley are truly out of luck no matter what they attempt. OTA is impossible on the other side of Laurales Grade.

Dave
post #104 of 581 Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post

Snarf,

I would like to add my two cents on Monterey OTA reception. My results are virtually identical to yours, not surprisingly since I think that we live less than a mile apart.

leftcoast,
Thanks for your post - it's good to know that a neighbor is watching this thread!

Quote:
Using a set of old rabbit ears initially and a Zenith Silver Sensor later, I was stunned that I was able to consistently get KION 46-1 and KSBW 8-1 with a relatively strong signal using my RCA DTC100 DirecTV receiver.

I have since replaced the DTC100 with an HR10-250 and despite some tuner sensitivity, when the locals are broadcasting, I can get KION 46-1, KCBA 35-1, The CW 46-2, KSBW 8-1 and KSBW Plus 8-2 with no difficulty whatsoever. I am unable to receive KCAH 25-1 no matter what gymnastics I attempt.

I might add that KSBW 8-1 is a hit and miss proposition. I am not certain why but there are many times when it pixelates so badly that I wonder if they have reduced power or if atmospheric conditions are affecting the signal, but suffice it to say it is the weakest of the locals and the one most likely to be off the air on an aperiodic basis.

This is interesting. My KSBW signal has been solid since I optimized my antenna location. My guess is that the as the signal level fluctuates, the gain on your rabbit ears is sufficiently low that it allows the signal level to the tuner to drop below the threshold sensitivity of the tuner. My signal for KSBW does fluctuate very slightly as viewed on the HR10's signal meter as well as the Sencore meter. This fluctuation is on the order of +- 1db. But even though my signal fluctuates, it never drops off enough for the tuner to lose the digital signal. I'm using a preamp as well which I think helps with signal stability.

But it's also possible that there is enough of a difference in topo between our locations which is contributing to your signal dropout problems. If I move my antenna 1 inch, it has a huge effect on which channels I can receive and their signal strength. I'm also wondering how much my reception is going to vary as the seasons and atmospheric conditions change - I've only had this working for a month or so. So far so good.

Quote:
Not being one to crawl around rooftops at my age, I took advantage of some free "stuff" from D* and had them install their "POS" omnidirectional rooftop antenna, for no charge of course, and I can report it is worth exactly what I paid for it. Nothing. I still get a better signal using rabbit ears than the D* bistro table I now have perched atop my chimney.

Totally understand not wanting to crawl around on the roof - that's why I did an attic install. If I had been forced to install outdoors, I was going to determine the antenna location myself and hire someone to do the install. The attic install was simple for me since my house has structured wiring and the coax to connect the antenna to the TV was already present in the attic.

Don't know if an attic install is an option for you, but I suspect than a higher gain antenna in the attic would give you a more stable signal.

As for the D* "antenna", I suspect that one of the reasons my D* installer told me I would not receive an OTA signal is that he knew the D* antenna was worthless.

Quote:
Bottom line, using the HR10-250 signal meter as a measuring device, I get strong 80's to low 90's on KCBA 35-1 and KION 46-1. My KSBW 8-1 and 8-2 signals peak out at around 65 and they fluctuate a lot. I have not taken a measurement on 46-2 because I have no idea how to locate it using the HR10-250 OTA signal strength screen.

My results are similar, but my lowest signal strength reading is for KCBA. KCBA signal strength fluctuates more than the others, but I never see the signal dropout. I can get better KCBA signal strength by tweaking the antenna direction, but that will degrade the KSBW signal. Since I don't watch Fox very often, I opted to optimize the direction for KSBW reception.

46-1 & 46-2 are broadcast on the same channel frequency, channel 32. The digital broadcasts allow multiple channels to be broadcast on the same frequency. Likewise 8-1 & 8-2 are on ch freq 10.

Quote:
Those of us who are lucky enough to live in the Highway 68 corridor have a great chance to get all the locals (except KCAH 25-1). Our poor bretheren in Carmel Valley are truly out of luck no matter what they attempt. OTA is impossible on the other side of Laurales Grade.

As for KCAH, here's one thing I failed to mention in my post which might be of interest:
When I was attempting to receive SF locals with the Antennasdirect XG-91, I noticed that when I oriented the antenna to the SE, I was receving a KCAH signal of approximately -15db, which is strong enough to receive a picture on the HR10-250. This was with the antenna outdoors. I was able to move the antenna through about a 45 degree range from the SE to due S and get a signal of -15 to -17 db. The antenna direction that received the KCAH signal was actaully about 90 degrees opposite from the actual transmitter location! But I was unable to receive a signal from any of the other channels from this direction, and since KCAH was a low priority, I didn't proceed any further. I assume that the signal is a reflection off of the mountains and that is why it is coming in from the "wrong" direction.

If and when KCAH starts broadcasting HD content I may install another antenna just for KCAH and use a Channelmaster Jointenna to join the signal for the ch 58(KCAH) antenna to my other antenna.
post #105 of 581 Old 08-31-2006, 09:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

If and when KCAH starts broadcasting HD content I may install another antenna just for KCAH and use a Channelmaster Jointenna to join the signal for the ch 58(KCAH) antenna to my other antenna.

I agree that KCAH SD is of little interest today particularly since we get it in the locals package and its network content is a duplicate of D* channel 384 anyway. I will be interested to hear if your results improve once they start HD broadcasting.

PBS HD would be a welcome addition. For a time between Sept 2001 and January 2005 I subbed to BEV Expressvu and enjoyed terrific PBS HD out of Seattle and Boston. I truly wish we could see KQED HD from down here, but that is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Dave
post #106 of 581 Old 09-01-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yesterday, the FCC released the "LPTV AND TV TRANSLATOR DIGITAL COMPANION CHANNEL APPLICATIONS NON-MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE PROPOSALS". That's a mouth full! What it is is a list of all proposals for low power stations received during the filing window that didn't conflict with anyone else's proposals. The stations listed are now eligible to apply for a license.

I've added the stations on the list for the San Francisco-Sacramento-Salinas/Monterey area to my web site listing. You'll find them in the list of "Digital Channels After Analog Shutdown" at the bottom of the page at: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

If you're not familiar with that page, it's a list of all stations now on the air in these markets and a list of the channel assignments after February 17, 2009. Some stations will be changing their digital channel from the one they're using today.

I was surprised to read HDdude24's report about receiving KNTV in Soledad. That's a long haul from Mt. San Bruno! HDdude24... do you get any of the other digital stations from Mt. San Bruno or Sutro Tower?

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #107 of 581 Old 09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I was attempting to receive SF locals with the Antennasdirect XG-91, I noticed that when I oriented the antenna to the SE, I was receving a KCAH signal of approximately -15db, which is strong enough to receive a picture on the HR10-250. This was with the antenna outdoors. I was able to move the antenna through about a 45 degree range from the SE to due S and get a signal of -15 to -17 db. The antenna direction that received the KCAH signal was actaully about 90 degrees opposite from the actual transmitter location!

You can be amazed at the signals you get from a direction that's nowhere near the direction of the transmitters. From my own experience up here in San Francisco, I get better results and more consistant signals from the four stations that transmit from the East Bay hills above Fremont (14, 36, 48 and 54) if I point my antenna South West at 220 degrees instead of South East toward the transmitters.

There's a hill to the South East, so that is probably the reason for the weaker signals in that direction. Sometimes the signals are okay with the antenna pointed that way, but the levels vary a lot. With the antenna pointed South West, the signals - definitely reflections off of some hill or building - are much more consistant. RF is a very interesting phenomenon! Once you lock in a station, don't be afraid to rotate the antenna around and watch the levels. You might find a hot spot where you least expect it!

As for you folks not being able to pick up KCAH as well as the other stations, it's probably due to their lower power. They transmit with only 151 kW, which is low for a UHF station.

Larry
SF

post #108 of 581 Old 09-04-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

I was surprised to read HDdude24's report about receiving KNTV in Soledad. That's a long haul from Mt. San Bruno! HDdude24... do you get any of the other digital stations from Mt. San Bruno or Sutro Tower?

nope I wish I can get KGO! I can still pick up KNTV but it's real weak now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

As for you folks not being able to pick up KCAH as well as the other stations, it's probably due to their lower power. They transmit with only 151 kW, which is low for a UHF station

Larry
SF

ahh that's why I can't pick it up

VHF 10 Element Yagi Ch.7-13 Antennacraft Model Y10-7-13
UHF Channel Master 4228 8-Bay UHF antenna
VHF/UHF Joiner Channel Master Model 0549

Here is a Pic of my setup
LL
post #109 of 581 Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

VHF 10 Element Yagi Ch.7-13 Antennacraft Model Y10-7-13
Here is a Pic of my setup

That VHF antenna is similar to the Winegard 3113 I have for KNTV. I bought mine when they were transmitting from Loma Prieta, 55 miles from here, and I got a signal of 70-75 with it. Now that they're just 4 miles away I get their signal at 99 to 100.

You're getting a signal over an exceptionally long distance. Soledad must be at least 100 miles from Mt. San Bruno.

Larry
SF

post #110 of 581 Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM

As a fellow Monterey resident I felt it my duty to chime in here.

I live near the fairgrounds and I'm receiving all the above mentioned OTA channels quite well without any antenna - basically just a wire attached to the antenna input on my DishHD receiver that hangs out the window.

8-1 KSBW signal 65-75 (depending on cloudcover)
8-2 WX Plu (KSBW's weather channel) 65-75
25-1 KCAH 70-75
35-1 KCBA 70-85
46-1 KION 85-100
46-2 The CW 85-100

Only ever had problems with KSBW dropping out several times over a period of three days a few weeks back - while recording of course.

Has anyone locally been able to get ABC (KGO) ota?
post #111 of 581 Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 AM

That sounds simple enough. What type of 'wire'. Regular cable RG6?

I have dishHD too, I have the VIP-622 reciever hooked up to a Winegard Sensor II and I don't get good reception.

When I have my Wingard hooked directly into my Sony KDF-50A10 it works great.

I get 8.1, 8.2, 25.1, 35.1, 46.1, 46.2, 31.1, 31.2.

What happen to CBS yesterday? Football was in no-def.

Chad...
post #112 of 581 Old 10-02-2006, 01:44 PM

Is that no-def or low-def. CBS only chooses certain games to broadcast in HD. They won't have all games, like Fox, NBC, ESPN, and NFLN (live) till next year.

About the same time as most high school games will be broadcast in HD
post #113 of 581 Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungJury View Post

I have dishHD too, I have the VIP-622 reciever hooked up to a Winegard Sensor II and I don't get good reception.

Chad...

I live at old Fort Ord, and can pick up all 8 digital channels above with an indoor antenna.
post #114 of 581 Old 10-02-2006, 03:24 PM

I am in Fort Ord. - Preston Area.

I have my TV set at 16:9
I use an Accurian ($89 special HD receiver from Radioshack). I can get NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS in HD with a RABBIT EARS. I can get all other when using a terk antenna on top of my dish.

Settings - TV 16:9 STB set at 16:9 + NORMAL (not wide)

Recent problem (Since Sept. 20-24, 2006) .

The NBC 8-1 & 8-2 are both silent (no sound. + the image is square NOT even 4:3. I have not seen any 16:9 view even on primetime HD programs
The CW looks correctly stretched unbder Normal Setting.
Fox looks square (even in HD)
PBS and Spanish satations look correctlystretched

Has anyone run into this?

When I set the OTA box to wide instead of normal, it shows NBC as 4:3 with black side bands + No sound.

BTW 8-1 & 8-2 both sow the same thing. Weather is not on 8-2 anymore?

$1350 - SONY - KP-51WS520
$ 200 - SONY - HT-DDW760
$ 125 - SONY - DVPNC875V
$ 90 - Accuurian HD STB
post #115 of 581 Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungJury View Post

Chad...

The wire is just an ota fm antennae lead with a coax connector on one end - originally meant for my receiver but I don't listen to the radio at home.

I don't receive 31.1 or 31.2 - which stations are those?
post #116 of 581 Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Hey MatintheHat,

31.1 and 31.2 are Univision and Galavision... I think. Great soccer and game shows. Broadcast in 480i.

Jimbo09,

That's low-def.

Question:
Why can't we get all Network stations? Fox and NBC respect us but ABC, sometimes CBS, and PBS don't seem to care about us?! Towns like Fresno get 15 or so stations. Is it a contractual problem? Are we too small of a market?

Chad...
post #117 of 581 Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM

CBS seems to be fine 46.1 is almost always in HD during prime time, and they broadcast the CW in SD.

I get a few SD PBS stations with satellite, so the local station isn't that important to me. I know that in most places the local PBS has 2-4 sub-channel, we have one PBS period.

BTW, 49ers/ Raiders in low-def this weekend, but that'd be a low def game even if they decided to play it right outside my window.
post #118 of 581 Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 PM

I thought all NFL games were filmed in HD? So, I was surprised to see a game in SD.

I have satellite, too. But they don't offer any locals in HD. I'm just frustrated with local offerings in our market.

I'm a huge 49er fan... I like to see the 49ers be 'sharp' and the 'clear' winner even in low-def.
post #119 of 581 Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I've updated the list of San Francisco Bay Area/Sacramento/Monterey "Digital Channels After Analog Shutdown" on our web site and added station ERP (Effective Radiated Power) and HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) to it from the new FCC DTV Table of Allotments.

For those not familiar with this, be aware that it takes less power on VHF than it does on UHF to get the same coverage area, so you can't compare channels 7 to 13 with channels 14 to 51 without taking this into consideration. Also, higher antenna heights require less power for the same coverage area.

I hope you find this new information to be useful. You'll find it at:
http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

As always, accuracy is not guaranteed but it's correct to the best of my knowledge. I converted HAAT in meters on the FCC site to feet for our list, but I used a spreadsheet, so that should all be correct.

If you find any errors on the page, corrections are always welcome.

Larry
SF

post #120 of 581 Old 11-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Does anyone get HD/SD KION near Monterey High School? At the moment I have tried the old standby indoor antennas (one of those flexable T-shaped double wires) and the single wire taken from my stereo (5-6 ft long I think). To my surprise signal strength hovers around 70% for KCAH, KSBW, and KCBA. Occational dropouts but I suspect a better antenna might help that. But there is no signal at all for CBS. Antennaweb org does not even show KION as available except for the usual analog one. I assume they both use the same tower.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page