Monterey, CA - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 580 Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Works well. Go to radio shack it is remote controlled black plastic with a round antenna on top. Theres only one like that on their web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 580 Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfred View Post

Works well. Go to radio shack it is remote controlled black plastic with a round antenna on top. Theres only one like that on their web site

what's the make and model? im having a hard time finding it
post #183 of 580 Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Ok here is one for you guys. My Dad just bought a Phillips 63" Plasma with analog and Digital receivers built in. He has just regular comcast basic with expanded channels, hasn't purchased digital service yet. When first hooked up to comcast the auto scan gave us 300+ digital channels plus the over air of some hdtv signals like KION, KSBW and PBS. On the comcast side it gave channels like 104.2 and other high numbers with point numbers. I can not figure out where these channels are coming from. They are not on any comcast list. Also KTVU, KCBA, KION, KSBW and KGO are coming in on 118.1- like 118.7. Are these HD capable channels. And one last thing is that I seem to get the terrestrial signal of KION- DT on 46.1 but not getting its CW on 46.2, don't get KCBA-DT ON 35.1 BUT get KSBW-DT ON 8.1 AND WEATHER PLUS ON 8.2 This all has me really confused, and to let you in on that I work at a TV station and it has some of the engineers baffled.
post #184 of 580 Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 AM

15-1892 model number.
post #185 of 580 Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 AM

On the Bay Area Comcast thread there is an announcment stating that two more HD channels will be added in Santa Cruz-VS/Golf HD and Universal HD on or about May 16th

YEAH!!!!

I might not have to switch to Dish.
post #186 of 580 Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Hi all,

I'm in downtown Santa Cruz by Louden Nelson. I'm using an ATI HDTV Wonder card (and the included indoor antenna) in an XP Media Center Edition PC. I wonder if any of you know why Media Center can't tune all of the channels that ATI's software can? With MCE, I only get NBC, but with ATI's software I can get a bunch of PBS channels and other stuff as well (don't have the call letters or channel numbers handy).

I've tried adding the channels manually, and MCE seems to know what they are (it gets the call letters right) but it gets no signal at all on any channel besides NBC.

Thanks!
post #187 of 580 Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hello.

I'm not specifically familiar with the two devices you use, though I certainly have heard of them.

Are you saying the Media Edition is a tuner, and compared to the ATI tuner it isn't able to capture the same channels?

If yes, then is the Media Center up to date? There are certainly differences between tuners, but this sounds really dramatic. Like something is misconfigured on the ME? Are there settings on the ME tuner which allow for digital AND analog reception? You'll get very little analog in your location, due to line-of-sight obstruction. Digital may find a way to snake into your area, as evidenced by the ATI.

I speculate you can fix this.

patrick
post #188 of 580 Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. Media Center is Microsoft's home theater PC software, including TV viewing and time-shifting. The ATI HDTV Wonder is the only tuner I have (it's a PCI expansion card installed in my PC).

The HDTV Wonder comes with it's own TV viewing software, but it is not very user-friendly. That's why I prefer the Media Center software -- except of course that it doesn't tune all the same channels as the ugly ATI sotware! Media Center is up to date, as are the ATI drivers. I did have to install a driver hack to get around the fact that Media Center does not recognize the HDTV Wonder's analog tuner.

So, I'm a bit stumped as to how different TV viewing software could have such different results with the same hardware. Besides manually adding the channels (MCE initially tunes only the channels it knows about from it's downloaded program guide) I don't know what else to try!
post #189 of 580 Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper72 View Post

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. Media Center is Microsoft's home theater PC software, including TV viewing and time-shifting. The ATI HDTV Wonder is the only tuner I have (it's a PCI expansion card installed in my PC).

The HDTV Wonder comes with it's own TV viewing software, but it is not very user-friendly. That's why I prefer the Media Center software -- except of course that it doesn't tune all the same channels as the ugly ATI sotware! Media Center is up to date, as are the ATI drivers. I did have to install a driver hack to get around the fact that Media Center does not recognize the HDTV Wonder's analog tuner.

So, I'm a bit stumped as to how different TV viewing software could have such different results with the same hardware. Besides manually adding the channels (MCE initially tunes only the channels it knows about from it's downloaded program guide) I don't know what else to try!

You will probably get a better answer to your question if you post it in the "HDTV Reception Hardware" section and/or the "Home Theater Computer" section of AVSforum.
post #190 of 580 Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 AM

Hi again,

Thanks again for the responses. Just in case any area folks are trying out Windows Media Center, I thought you'd want to know that I solved the mystery of the missing PBS channels. The downloaded guide information had an incorrect physical channel number for KCAH. I found this article explaining how to remedy the problem:

"Troubleshooting ATSC Issues in MCE" (you'll have to Google it -- I can't post URLs cause I'm a noob)

The images are broken for me, but the page is quite interesting and useful to anyone with a computer HDTV tuner. It describes some tools for troubleshooting stream encoding problems, which will be interesting to anybody who likes to know the gruesome details.
post #191 of 580 Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM

I just received a message on my comcast DVR saying that 4 new HD channels will be added tomorrow-Nat Geo, TNT, ESPN-2, and VS/Golf. Originally I was informed that it would be only 2 -VS/Golf and Universal. I hope the message is correct!!!
post #192 of 580 Old 05-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

GBruno....where are you? What city, etc.?

I'm in Santa Cruz city, up on the hill. I thought our 550mHz system was not capable of upgrades at this time. How can they add these channels and not provide a properly mapped ABC HD?

thanks

regards,

patrick
post #193 of 580 Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM

^^^^ Patrick, I thought as much as well. But I am in Aptos and received the message last night. I was expecting VS/golf and Universal HD based on information from the SF thread. Even getting two new HD channels would have surprised me as I thought (and think) that we are 550. I will keep my fingers crossed for all of us and report back with an update tomorrow!
post #194 of 580 Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM

GOOD NEWS...

All four channels-NGCHD on 715; VSGLF on 721; ES2HD on 724 and TNTHD on 726 are up and running. Wonder if a QAM rescan will pull in anything new?? I will try tonight.

Does this mean our headend has been updated?
post #195 of 580 Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

They are there. No program guide, I am making the assumption the Tivo service will latch onto this upgrade/addition.

Sweet.

Thanks for the heads-up.

WHY NO ABC HD with mapped channels????????? Anyone have any insight? It can no longer be argued it is a bandwidth issue.

regards,

patrick
post #196 of 580 Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 AM

Yes I agree.

ABC HD seems the logical (well at least to me) choice to add. In the SF thread a post stated that more (unspecified) channels would be coming by fall. I am willing to wait as a switch to Sat. would be a big hassle for me.
post #197 of 580 Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have no Guide data yet on the new channels. I did file a report with Tivo (I use Series 3 units with cable cards) and it'll get fixed soon.

I am assuming COMCAST made this upgrade secretive, and did not alert their cable card base of users.

Do you folks get the Guide data with your Comcast DVRs?

regards,

patrick
post #198 of 580 Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 AM

I do not use cable cards. My DVR had the updated guide data within 24 hours of the new channels.
post #199 of 580 Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 AM

Bruno, where are you located? Are you getting these new channels with an HDTV Satellite? or QAM tuner?
post #200 of 580 Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 PM

I am in Aptos. I use the Comcast (Motorola ) HD-DVR.
post #201 of 580 Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I am in Santa Cruz city on COMCAST, and use a Series 3 Tivo with Cable Cards. Same channels, far superior HD DVR ;-)

regards,

patrick
post #202 of 580 Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM

Yes, I am waiting for the correct timing to dump my Motto-However, there are rumors that COmcast is working with Tivo to enable us to download the Tivo software onto the motto HD-DVR (Which is annoyingly crappy).
post #203 of 580 Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

COMCAST had a working demo at CES. However, the core hardware used by COMCAST is so limiting the use of the device, regardless of the GUI, will be less than a full experience.

I would vote to hold onto the Moto since you already have it, and then you can judge once the new software is loaded (at a small additional fee per month, I have read).

The S3 is my choice, however. Using the Amazon.com "Unbox" to download movies to the unit replaces the on-demand for our uses. It's not an exact replacement, but it comes close. Seeing what is recording on the two tuners on the front panel, having built in Ethernet, being able to program recordings via the web when not at home, etc, etc.

Hang in there. Meanwhile, the Guide information is now appearing for the four new HD channels. Sweet. Took a little over a week after filling out the form at the Tivo site.

patrick
post #204 of 580 Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 PM

I've got a quick question: Because I'm cheap (and I really don't watch that much television) I only want to get ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS in HD. What package should I order? I currently own two HDTV QAM tuners (an LG HDTV/DVD combo and a Sony HDDVR). If I remember correctly, Comcast must (by law) provide these channels "in the clear" in their basic digital cable package ($16.21) (i.e. they cannot by law scramble them). I'm thinking that I do not need to order their +$5.00 HDTV option.

If anyone can provide their thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Also, I live in Monterey (if that makes a difference).

Justin
post #205 of 580 Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I cannot comment on "the law" but I've not found all of the network on my Tivo Series 3 (QAM tuner) when used without the cable cards. I can find ABC and PBS, and if I recall NBC. But the other networks I've never seen unmapped. I also haven't looked too hard.

$5.00 is too much to make it easy? Can you not get them all over the air in HD for free (or for the cost of an antenna or two)?

regards,

patrick
post #206 of 580 Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 AM

In Santa Cruz (ok Aptos) I currently can get ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS in the clear. OTA I can get all these except for ABC which transmits out of SF.

I should add that I have had a QAM tuner for about 6 months. And in this time Comcast has turned on/off/on (or scrambled) CBS and NBC. Currently they have been on continuously since they added the other HD channels (TNT, National Geo, VS/Golg, and ESPN 2) to their HD package. I suspect the reason why they were unavailbe was because of upgrading the headend but I have no real evidence of this!

Hope this helps
post #207 of 580 Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Patrick & GBruno,
Many Thanks. It does in fact help. I currently have an OTA antenna and watch/record NBC, CBS and Fox. I'd like to add PBS and ABC. I'll start with the Basic Digital and then see if I "need" addition equipment from Comcast in order to get those channels in HD. I'll post back once I figure it all out (at my age, it may take a while!).

Justin
post #208 of 580 Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

weatheryoko...

You'll get ABD HD on 7-1, using the tuners, and you'll also find PBS-HD on 9-1.

Have you tried to receive the (somewhat recently in HD)) PBS HD off of 25-1 (this is remapped KTEH) in Salinas?

Regardless, combined with what you receive for free, the basic digital package will net you the missing HD channels you seek.

Good luck, post what happens.

regards,
patrick
post #209 of 580 Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the post patrick. Well after calling Comcast, I found out that there is no such thing as "Basic Digital Cable". Their Basic Cable is analog. If I wanted to get those HD channels (i.e ABC, CBS, etc), I would have to get their "Digital Starter" package. Seeing that they (Comcast) wanted $53.00 a month for this service and I already get most (not quite all) of the channels I want, I find it hard to justify this expense. I'll just continue to pull NBC, CBS, Fox, and the CW from my OTA antenna. I'd like to get ABC, but it's not worth $53.00 a month. I'm going to re-try PBS again using my OTA antenna. Thanks again to Patrick and GBruno for your help.

Justin
post #210 of 580 Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Hi,
I'm in Santa Cruz yacht harbor area just got into HDTV with Panasonic 700U plasma. I have Tivo-3 with 2 cablecards with Comcast. I noticed a few locals here on this forum also have similar Tivo-3 setup on Comcast.

As you may know, there is no KGO-DT (7.1) that I was able to get on the QAM tuner on the TV or Tivo-3 without cable cards. Are we are out of luck using Tivo on KGO-DT (7.1) until or if Comcast (aka "Costcast") adds KGO-DT?

Also, does anyone have an OTA antenna recommendation for this area in case I decide to try OTA for better quality digital ? Attic mount required?

-Crackers
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page