Tri-Cities, TN-VA - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #511 of 531 Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BRPBS has just purchased a new british drama called DCI Banks during their "financial crisis". I have learned that Direct TV and Dish customers will lose BRPBS as well since the transmitters are completely shutting down. Tennessee or North Carolina PBS signals will be used instead of
WBRA/Roanoke on satellite providers. BRPBS could have chosen to operate at reduced power or kept one of the transmitters on. The coverage areas of the Norton and Roanoke transmitters actually adjoin each other near Marion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 531 Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know exactly when Charter is going all digital here? And with that, and its re-branding to Charter Spectrum, will it finally give us the rest of its channels in HD?
post #513 of 531 Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Is anyone seeing WMSY or WSBN? According to FCC filings, they signed back on at the end of March.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #514 of 531 Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So, I see WBRA 15-2 in Roanoke is back on the air. When I was visiting my parents over the Labor Day weekend, it looked like it was airing wall-to-wall pledge drive type programming.

Is this the programming that is airing on WMSY and WSBN?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #515 of 531 Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WSBN is still off the air. I saw it pop on the air one weekend a few months ago for a short period and nothing since.
post #516 of 531 Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
ABC moving from 19 to 11-2 Feb 1st

WJHL article (CBS)
with video
http://wjhl.com/2016/01/04/media-gen...ri-cities-dma/

ABC 19 article
http://abc19.tv/abc-moves-its-affili...nva-tv-market/
post #517 of 531 Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WKPT) – George DeVault, President of Holston Valley Broadcasting, announced today that the ABC Television Network affiliation for the Tri-Cities market is being moved from WKPT-TV.1 in Kingsport to WJHL.2 in Johnson City. The change becomes effective February 1.

According to DeVault, “ABC presented to us a proposal that would have had us paying the network at least 15 million dollars over the next 5 years. Although we ultimately agreed to meet the network’s terms, ABC told us a few days ago that it had decided to explore other options in the market. WKPT-TV had been negotiating in good faith with ABC since October of last year,” DeVault said.
post #518 of 531 Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Kind of sad but not surprised at all.
post #519 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
ABC moving from 19 to 11-2 Feb 1st

WJHL article (CBS)
with video
http://wjhl.com/2016/01/04/media-gen...ri-cities-dma/

ABC 19 article
http://abc19.tv/abc-moves-its-affili...nva-tv-market/
The ABC-19 article more clearly explains the financial factors involved.
post #520 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WKPT) – George DeVault, President of Holston Valley Broadcasting, announced today that the ABC Television Network affiliation for the Tri-Cities market is being moved from WKPT-TV.1 in Kingsport to WJHL.2 in Johnson City. The change becomes effective February 1.

According to DeVault, “ABC presented to us a proposal that would have had us paying the network at least 15 million dollars over the next 5 years. Although we ultimately agreed to meet the network’s terms, ABC told us a few days ago that it had decided to explore other options in the market. WKPT-TV had been negotiating in good faith with ABC since October of last year,” DeVault said.
A few technical issues have not been mentioned. Will Media General convert CBS on 11.1 from 1080i to 720p resolution, and also carry ABC on 11.2 in 720p HD? And I would assume now both CBS and ABC channels will share the same local newscast from WJHL.
post #521 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Will Media General convert CBS on 11.1 from 1080i to 720p resolution, and also carry ABC on 11.2 in 720p HD?
They dont need to downconvert CBS to 720p. You can run a 1080i and a 720p with no issues. Gray is doing that with their markets (now they do downconvert the subchannel to 720p but since ABC is already 720p they are set)

Quote:
And I would assume now both CBS and ABC channels will share the same local newscast from WJHL.
probably

The 2 questions I have are
-what happens to MeTV
-assume the syndicated shows on 19 will stay on 19 so there will be some blank spots (when no ABC programming) on 11-2 to fill
post #522 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In the comments about this on WJHL's Facebook someone says they called the station and was told that MeTV would be "phased out."

WJHL's sister WNCT in Greenville, NC has CW in HD on .2 along with 1080i CBS on the primary. In comparison with WRAL (with a standard def .2) you can tell CBS looks a little softer on WNCT, especially during football.

WKPT would probably do well to pick up MeTV if they drop it.
post #523 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just a forum observation - nothing like a network affiliation shake-up to activate discussion after some 15 months of a dormant Tri-Cities forum As I and another North Carolinian posted on the WKPT FB page, this reminds us Charlotte-area viewers back to when WCCB had Fox yanked away a few years back. Thing is, WCCB has fought back and appears to have done quite well against the odds of survival. With similar creative-thinking and available resources, it would seem WKPT can do the same. However, WCCB has consistently delivered a quality product for MANY years - plus they kept their news department post-Fox.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #524 of 531 Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The news department is what kept WCCB alive. I don't really understand why WKPT is throwing the towel in before they even give it a shot. To be fair though I also didn't know that they do news. is it a real newscast like the other stations? Last time I saw them was on cable in Boone a few years ago, and from what I recall it was just a reporter reading headlines from a news/talk radio station.
post #525 of 531 Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WCCB's news also won some of its time periods and was very well-established. WKPT had no news at all from 2008 to 2013, as I recall, and I'm not sure how many people watch it.

- Trip
eacalhoun likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #526 of 531 Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WCCB's news also won some of its time periods and was very well-established. WKPT had no news at all from 2008 to 2013, as I recall, and I'm not sure how many people watch it.

- Trip
WCCB had the top rated 10pm newscast and has continued to provide strong local news and sports programming, as well as adding the CW affiliation. So they have hung in there and continue to do well. Plus they have MeTV and AntennaTV subchannels. I just wish they could transmit their signal from the Dallas, NC area so I could receive their signal at my location like some of the other Charlotte channels. Or at least go ahead and build their previously planned Crowder's Mtn. translator. But I know with the spectrum repack those such matters are on hold.
post #527 of 531 Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
Well, the morning producer is a friend of mine and I hate to add to their misery as they will be fired when this happens, but I will say I watched one of their Saturday morning newscasts back in October and it was not good. The anchor was obviously running her own teleprompter, unless a reporter was covering something local there was no b-roll video and the weather was basically her reading the forecast off of the local NWS web site. Add to that very few actual ads (your average 2 minute break was one local ad, one PSA and two promos for other shows on WKPT or one of their subchannels) and I can see why they are in such financial trouble.

Plus being on 11.2 pretty much triples the area ABC will reach now. I know people living on a mountain who could see the WKPT tower from their house (and lived 20 miles away) and couldn't get it at all over the air because WKPT is such low power.
post #528 of 531 Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUBill View Post
Plus being on 11.2 pretty much triples the area ABC will reach now. I know people living on a mountain who could see the WKPT tower from their house (and lived 20 miles away) and couldn't get it at all over the air because WKPT is such low power.
What? That makes no sense. If they could see the tower, then that 200 kW signal should be no sweat, unless they were behind the antenna looking into the null. Plus, WKPT has a boatload of translators all over the place.

- Trip
eacalhoun likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #529 of 531 Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
A few technical issues have not been mentioned. Will Media General convert CBS on 11.1 from 1080i to 720p resolution, and also carry ABC on 11.2 in 720p HD? And I would assume now both CBS and ABC channels will share the same local newscast from WJHL.
I receive WCYB out of the tri cities here in western NC and they also similarly carry another one of the broadcast networks on a subchannel. Not sure if it's right or not but my Samsung tv shows that NBC on 5.1 is 1080i and that the CW on 5.2 is also broadcast in 1080i, not sure if this is a mistake or it really is the case. Both seem to have pretty good picture quality still as well as the decades subchannel on 5.3.
post #530 of 531 Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah WCYB changed 5.2 The CW over to 1080i about 2 months ago. They are the only channel that I have seen running 2 1080i channels along with a 480i. I'll have to admit that they all look pretty good too. I hate it for WKPT; I'd like to see them succeed but I'm not sure given the current circumstances that's going to happen. I also hate to lose METV from WHJL11.2. Luckily I can still get METV from Knoxville WBIR 10.2.
post #531 of 531 Old 05-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here's a thread devoted to Charter cable systems in northwestern North Carolina, which also serve Mountain City and nearby portions of Johnson and Carter counties.

WKPT is the only Tri-Cities local channel carried in HD on the Mountain City system; the others are all from Charlotte.

Boone/Hickory, NC - Charter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page