Tri-Cities, TN-VA - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 515 Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can get WETP PBS from Sneedville fairly consistently. With some effort, I'm sure you could get it from there. WEMT is only occasional for me and requires some tropo enhancement. WJHL has come in strong for me the last hour so I'd say there's some tropo going on between you and me as we speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 515 Old 08-01-2004, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I'm sure you've tried WSBN ch. 32 as a PBS? It's north of you from Norton, VA.
post #33 of 515 Old 08-01-2004, 01:10 PM

The problem I've run into is that my subdivision lies on the slope of a pretty large hill, with my house about halfway up. I have a great shot at Holston Mountain and also at Viking Mountain, so getting the four commercial tv stations isn't too difficult (esxcept for WKPT DT, due to their power). WSBN and WETP both lie on the other side of that hill, which blocks their signals. I have actually had better luck aiming for Asheville; my analog reception of WUNF is better than either WSBN or WETP. My receiver can "see" something on WUNF DT's channel, but it just can't lock on, and thats better than I can say with the other two PBS stations...
post #34 of 515 Old 08-01-2004, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

WUNF-DT is fairly consistent for me. It's only 135kw or so if I remember but the transmitter is at b/w 4-5000 ft ASL so it carries a long way (135 mi for me). I bet you could get it from there if you tried assuming you have good exposure to that direction. What antenna are you using?
post #35 of 515 Old 08-01-2004, 01:29 PM

I am using a Channelmaster 3018 vhf/uhf, mounted in my attic....I have given thought to moving it outside and either up on the roof or on a tower, but haven't done so yet, mainly because I don't do heights very well! Seriously, I probably will do just that this fall, at the same time as I get up on the roof to blow away the leaves...sort of kill two birds with one stone, so to speak....
post #36 of 515 Old 08-01-2004, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Outside you'll see a major difference, I'll bet. I guess you need vhf for analog reception but if you forego that you could go with a nice uhf only antenna like a CM 4228 or even a Yagi. OTOH, once all the stations are at full power you might just need indoor rabbit ears, but who knows how long that will be?
post #37 of 515 Old 08-05-2004, 10:02 AM

cpcat, you asked on the Knoxville thread about WKPT...where did you see that they had gotten a full power DT license? Reason I ask is that I used to work for Holston Valley Broadcasting on the radio side, and knowing George DeVault like I do, I would think he would want to stay on channel 19 when the digital transition occurs...in fact, there is a CP on file with the FCC for 3000 kilowatts for channel 19, which indicates that their intention is to move to 19 from 27. Check out this link, which backs up that thinking: http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6516214824
post #38 of 515 Old 08-05-2004, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops, sorry. I meant WKOP which is the PBS in Knoxville. I guess I have too many letters in my head I edited my post in the Knoxville thread.

I did get WKPT the other day with some major tropo, though. Didn't last long. It's interesting that the main channel remaps to 19-1 but the subchannels stay 27-2 and 27-3.
post #39 of 515 Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone out there confirm that WJHL offers DD 5.1? I can only get them sporadically and all I remember is DD 2.0. Also, is WEMT offering any HD yet? According to the FOX splicer thread they should be but I can only get an SD signal (when I can get them).
post #40 of 515 Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 AM

cpcat,
38.1 hd when availiable 38-2 sd real bad SD. wjhl dd when availiable but signal set continously.
post #41 of 515 Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 AM

eclipse,
I live in Morristown and I get all the channels you are trying to get very well. The lowest signal level here is 69 to 72 range from WKPT 19.1 27.2 27.3. I get Norton in the high 80's. Bristol wcyb in the 90's. wjhl in the mid 70's. I am using a Winegard hd 7084 uhf/vhf combo with about 50 feet RG6 no preamp setting on my roof. If you get your antenna on the roof I think you be suprised and happy with the difference. You loose a lot of DB plus multipath a big problem in the attic.

I got an email from WKPT here's what they said.
We currently operate WKPT-DT at 5.38 kilowatts. Full
power
for this station is 200 kilowatts and we plan to be at that power level
by
7/1/05.
post #42 of 515 Old 11-01-2004, 09:09 PM

jimc705

I did get my antenna outside and up above the roofline....I am now using a Channel Master 4228 with pre amp, and WCYB, WJHL, WKPT, WEMT and WLFG all come in rock solid. Still can't get WSBN or WETP, since there is a huge hill right behind my house, running southwest to northeast...I am able to pick up WUNF out of Asheville about half the time now, though, and, on occasion, get WLOS. It appears that, as far as any other out of market stations, I am pretty much in a hole here and out of luck...
post #43 of 515 Old 11-02-2004, 07:31 PM

Eclipse,

That's great at least you got your networks rock solid. You may try to get WBIR dt31 and WVLT dt26 if that hill doesn't kill you. I have heard some up your way do get those. You know if anyone gets the new DT 7 from Knoxville up your way?
post #44 of 515 Old 11-03-2004, 02:22 PM

To be honest, I would be thrilled to be able to get WBIR just for their newscasts; thats the one I always watched when I lived in Knoxville several years ago...however, I am blocked in that direction, and the transmitters are over 100 miles from where I live, so no luck, although I was able to catch channels 6 and 8 analog whenever there were good weather conditions, when I had my vhf/uhf combo antenna up...I am really in good shape, except I would like to be able to receive a PBS station in HD. Perhaps when WETP goes full power, if they indeed do so...
post #45 of 515 Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 PM

Well the good news is you may have a shot at channel 12 DT Hazard KY when they go full power in July. Vhf will bend a little easier and may get over the mountain.
Do you get any digital signal from DT56 analog 13 from Ashville?
I'm in their coverage area and WUNF coverage area. I get a signal for DT 25 WUNF but can't get a lock. WLOS I get an occasional blip off DT 56 but not even close to locking. I do get analog 13 very well better then Knoxville's analog. I've written to them to see if they are at full power on the digital side but no answer yet. I think they are at reduced power also.
post #46 of 515 Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by jimc705
Well the good news is you may have a shot at channel 12 DT Hazard KY when they go full power in July. Vhf will bend a little easier and may get over the mountain.
I'm in their coverage area and WUNF coverage area. I get a signal for DT 25 WUNF but can't get a lock. WLOS I get an occasional blip off DT 56 but not even close to locking. I do get analog 13 very well better then Knoxville's analog. I've written to them to see if they are at full power on the digital side but no answer yet. I think they are at reduced power also.

WLOS is a Sinclair station like WEMT. Low-power.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #47 of 515 Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimc705

Occasionally I am able to get WLOS DT, and have it mapped on my receiver as 13-1 and 13-2, but they are only running 14.9 kw right now...in fact, they were coming in this morning, and I was able to watch Good Morning America for a little while...WUNF DT comes in about 40-50% of the time, depending on the weather. On the analog side, I can get channel 33 very well, and could get 13 before I replaced my vhf antenna. I have been thinking about upgrading my amp (Spartan, bought at Lowes, with 23 db of gain) to a CM 7775 with 26 db of gain, but I don't know if the extra 3 db gain would make any difference, especially since it is in an amp and not in an antenna...
post #48 of 515 Old 11-07-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the good news is you may have a shot at channel 12 DT Hazard KY when they go full power in July.

WYMT is currently at full power (50kw) and has been for the past several mos. I'm not really sure why they still have the STA for low power with the FCC unless it's just to leave them the option of decreasing power at any time.
post #49 of 515 Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 PM

Well that's not good. I can't get a lock here. In fact their signal level is at a poor 0 to 49. I'm just barely in their coverage area but given the fact they are VHF I'd hope I could get their signal. I guess I have to write them off.
post #50 of 515 Old 11-08-2004, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

For channel 12 you could try this: http://antennacraft-tdp.com/Yagi.htm

Or even this: http://community-2.webtv.net/GregBarker/UltraHighGain/

No guarantees in this business though. I get a strong signal from here with an Antennacraft Y10 7-13 but I'm only 50 miles away.
post #51 of 515 Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 AM

CPCAT,
Thanks for the info but I have a Winegard hd6084p and my gain on channel 12 is almost 11 DB now. I think the clinch mountains to the north pretty much wipes out Kentucky except for Harlan.
post #52 of 515 Old 11-13-2004, 11:05 PM

CPCAT, I like your setup. I was thinking about maybe stacking 2 CM 4228's, would that produce similar results to what you have? If not what do you recommend?

Right now I just have a silver sensor with a little amp that I hafta set outside on the window sill. And I'm tired of doing that!!
post #53 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Banghead11,
See a prior post of mine answering that question at the link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...84#post3905984

Depending on your location, you may not need to go to the lengths I have.
A single 4228 may be all you need. Where are you?
post #54 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 08:08 AM

I read that post shortly after posting my question, I'm in Surgoinsville, TN.

I would like to play around with a new antenna, just to see what I could pick up. But mainly I just want the major networks. I can get Knoxvilles wate,wbir, wtnz, and most of the time wvlt (couldn't yesterday) I want to get wjhl, wkpt, & wcyb. I can get wcyb but not very well. I also can get wemt.

I am on a small ridge, so I think with a better outside antenna, I shouldn't have much problem.

Thanks for the help!
post #55 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Your location should be excellent in that you are in range of many stations in all directions. One option would be a 4228 or DB8 on a rotor with a high-band vhf like the Antennacraft Y10 7-13 mounted about 50-60 inches below combined into a CM 7777 preamp. You should have a good shot at VHF 12 from Hazard Ky (WYMT CBS) and also could rotate it manually for WMAK 7 in Knoxville if you want. You'll also want to have the high vhf band available as I'll bet WJHL will eventually go to 11 digital and WLOS in Asheville will go to 13.

The disadvantage of the 4228 (or any 8-bay for that matter) is wind load and difficulty stacking. It will also be hard on your rotor. The advantage is it has a little better gain on the low uhf, say 40 and below. If you really think you might be interested in stacking eventually, go with a single Yagi/corner reflector initially, then you can upgrade later if you want. Of those I mentioned in my earlier post, the XG91 seems to be equivalent to the Televes and Triax (I don't have personal experience with it) and has the advantage of being readily available through Antennasdirect and even has a 30 day return policy.

You could also go with a combo vhf/uhf like the Winegard 8200p or CM 3671, but IMO a combo will not be able to provide "state of the art" reception for either band. It also means a huge antenna because of inclusion of the low vhf as part of the deal.

I'm curious, can you get WKOP from there? I've never had any luck with it on a consistent basis which makes me believe they're not at full power. You should be able to get WETP 41 from Sneedville I'd think even with your current setup.

WCYB should be a piece of cake once you're outside. I got it consistently even when I used a 4228 from here (110 mi). WKPT and WJHL are both at low power but you're rel. close and in the direction of their directional tranmitters, so I'd say you'd have an exellent chance at those as well.
post #56 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 01:35 PM

WKOP is channel 15? Its no problem at all, but I don't really watch it. it figures the one I don't really want I have no trouble getting also get 41 WETP sneedville (actually its in mooresburg)

I just moved my tv over about 2 or 3 ft (cleaned carpet) now I cant get WVLT or WTNZ is this normal? Like I said earlier, I put the antenna on the window ledge outside.

Channel 12 WYMT is 54 miles away and channel 7 WMAK is 66miles, can you get those easy with your setup?

I think I will order the XG91 and the Y10 7-13 . What else would I need, a CM 7777, a rotor, and some sort of combiner?

One pointing question, in pointing toward the Knoxville towers, if I go up very high I will be shooting through power/phone lines. Will this effect it very much?

THANKS AGAIN
post #57 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 01:49 PM

I live in Morristown just of 25e North before you cross the lake. You will have no problem with WJHL WKPT and WCYB. I get all them here very well the weakest being WKPT signal in the low 70s. WCYB on the other end in low 90's. I'm using the smaller hd6084p winegard combo on my roof with no amp. I get WLOS analog but their digital is at reduced power till July.

As for Sneedville, Norton, Grundy I get all those very well also in the 80's signal level. You should get those fairly easy also.

I got a small hill I have to get over to get Knoxvilles and I use a 91XG antanns direct for them. The 91 XG does have a little bit more gain the the 7084 on the roof for UHF. It's highly directional and handles multipath extremely well. I do not get WVLT DT30 except when it rains for some reason. All the other Knoxville digitals I get fairly well. WMAK is the strongest here around 80 Signal then WATE in the high 70's. I do not get pax digital either. (who cares)

Channel 12 Hazard I also do not get but I am on the extreme edge of the coverage area. You should be in their coverage area as long as you have a clean shot to the north.

If you are getting Knoxville's digitals now of the silver sensor then for sure you will not need to stack any antennas. I'd go with the CM 4228 or the 91XG they seem to be fairly close in gain for UHF. Then you may want a Winegard YA7-13 for VHF DT-7 from Knoxville DT 12 Hazard and analog 13. I do get channel 12 from winston salem analog at times. You may be in a better position then me for them also. I stay away from the combo in your area for my combo has problems with channel 2 Sneedville when I point towards Norton. It may give you a problem trying to get Knoxvilles. Channel 2 actually knocks out the digital signal from Norton so I have to move a little of to the east to get Norton. After 1 AM when 2 goes off air I have no problem at all. The 91 XG has no problem for it doesn't see channel 2 very well.

You may also get WUNF Asheville DT 25 in your area and DT56 for sure when they go full power. I hear some in Kingsport get it now even at low power.

The 91 xg does have the best warranty in the business . You could get it and see how it works for you and return it if your not happy. The CM 4228 will do just a wee bit better on 17 then the 91xg if that station is important to you. With either I do not think you'll need an amp. If you find you do Then the CM 7777 ( CPCAT recommended) is one of the best. I find Sneedville runs the exact same programming as 17 Knoxville. Norton as for PBS is by far the best and runs some different programming on their SD feeds.

Good Luck hope you enjoy your HDTV.
post #58 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 01:55 PM

Power lines should not effect the UHF digitals but may effect VHF DT-7. You will need a rotor the CM 9521a can be had for about $80 on the web. The amp I would hold off on till you see what you have. Unless you just want to be sure. You can find a CM7777 also for around $60 on the web.

I tried an amp here and it had little or no effect on digitals but did help the analogs so I returned it for I have little interest in the analog channels.
post #59 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the help, I think I'll go with the 91XG & the Y10 7-13. My dad said he has a rotor I can use for now, and I think I'll wait on the amp.

Now I need a mast, what do you recommend? I was looking at lowes has a telescoping 30' for $45. What do you think about that?

Thanks again!
post #60 of 515 Old 11-14-2004, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What else would I need, a CM 7777, a rotor, and some sort of combiner?

You won't need a combiner, the 7777 will combine the uhf and vhf antennas for you. Just make sure the internal switches are set properly on the amp (instructions are provided).

You can try it without the preamp first, if you want. In that case, you will need a uhf/vhf diplexer. CM makes a good one, I think it's designated 0549 or maybe 0547. If your cable run is >50 ft. though I think you'll benefit from the preamp esp. for the uhf channels.

There's a dealer for Antennacraft in Johnson City FYI (that's where I got mine).

I wouldn't worry about the power lines, just stay away from them while you're installing everything! You'll probably have to experiment some to find the optimum height. In general, higher is better, but not always.

The CM9521 rotor is available at Lowe's. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page