Tri-Cities, TN-VA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes 52-1 thru 52-5 is pbs out of marion ,va. I live almost behind bufflo mountain, so fox might be a problem. I did get it on analog when i pointed at it last sunday. I hope with a rotor and 10 more feet that it will come in. I am very glad that i found this site. I have two antenna craft 40 inch uhf that i would like to combine, how far apart should i start with? How do i hook the preamp up to this setup? Thanks .

Those who die with the most antennas win!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 AM

You might want to check out the antenna thread pinned to the top of the Local Reception forums. I believe that cpcat has also posted pictures of several incarnations of his rigs, which have been combined antennas, so he has a lot of experience with setting those up. BTW, it appears that there is some major tropo going on this morning, if you have time to play with your antenna setup. I have been receiving WLOS solid as a rock all morning, and, when I scan for additional channels, my set "sees" (but can't lock onto) WSOC and WCCB in Charlotte, and WOLO in Columbia, South Carolina!
post #93 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 AM

I just thought I would drop a quick note to let you guys know that there are others out there monitoring this thread, and appreciating its existence. I also wanted to share one of my learnings w/ you.

Standard disclaimer applies that each site is different, and the guy right next door to you may not be able to duplicate your results.

I live in north Johnson City on top of a small hill. I live in a subdivision that has restrictive covenants against outdoor antennas, though they do allow 18" satellite dishes. (Yes, I am aware of the FCC regs and laws that say property owners cannot be prevented from errecting antennas of property they own or control; I don't want to create an issue w/ HOA unless its a last resort.)

My goal in this was to be able to get HDTV signals from all stations w/o having rotator b/c I eventually want to get HD Tivo.

I purchased the Panasonic PT-50LCX63 (fantastic cousin of the PT-50LC13) which included the internal HD tuner. I was convinced that I would need a very good amplified indoor antenna if I was going to be able to receive HD indoors. I know that indoor was a long shot, but thought I would try before heading outside and into confrontation w/ HOA and neighbors.

I did lots of research and purchased the RadioShack 15-1880 amplified table-top antenna. I was encouraged that I was able to receive 5-1, 5-2, 11-1, and 11-2 without much effort; 19-1 was reachable w/ a lot of fine tuning which caused me to loose 5-1; was once able to tune 15-x PBS channels out of Marion, VA, but I think this was w/ tropo aid; could NEVER pickup Fox out of Greenville, TN w/ the RS 15-1880.

Went back to the research mode to try and find a better solution. Figured that I would need two different antennas to be able to pickup Fox w/ one, and ABC/NBC/CBS with the other (140 degrees opposite coordinates).

Decided to buy the DB-4 from antennas direct since it has a wide angle of reception. I plugged the DB-4 up indoors just to see what I would get. I got an immediate boost in 5-1, 5-2, 11-1, & 11-2 and got 19-1 w/o much trouble (all of these are in the same vector). I decided to rotate 140 degrees and see if I could pickup Fox for the 1st time. I was able to get Fox, but lost all the others.

This lead me to decide I needed 2 seperate antennas & a way to join them. For kicks, I decided to see if the simplest antenna ($1.99 rabit ears w/ UHF bow tie) could pickup Fox out of Greenville.

To my surprise, I was able to pickup Fox w/ the bow tie.

To my utter and complete dismay, I was able to spend 10 minutes positioning the bow tie to pickup Fox/ABC/NBC/CBS all at the same time w/o reorienting the bow-tie antenna!

The only stations that I don't get currently are the 52-x channels out of Marion, VA (used to be 15-x). I could probably get these by repositioning the bow-tie, but I don't want to loose the others. I may splurge and get a second bow-tie to dedicate to 52-x channels.

Lesson learned & shared, don't assume you need the $50-100 or more antenna solution, before you try the cheap simple one.

HD Tivo, I'm coming to get you!
post #94 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 09:03 AM

Its great that you are able to pick up all the commercial networks with a set of rabbit ears without having to change its position all the time. I started out trying that, and managed to find a spot where I could get NBC, CBS, Fox and the religious station out of Grundy about 75% of the time, but never could get a suitable signal for ABC. After trying an attic mount and still not being able to find a spot where I could just leave my antenna alone and pick up everything, I moved outside, bought a CM4228 and pre amp, and was able to find a spot where I could leave it alone and get ABC/UPN, NBC/WB, CBS, Fox and WLFG without moving anything. I would like to get PBS-HD, though, so I am still experimenting.

I will say, though, that all this becomes very addictive if you let it....newer antennas, higher towers, more and better amps, etc.

And an HD Tivo would be VERY nice!!
post #95 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 10:13 AM

I live in southeast johnson city, almost behind bufflo mnt. I did try an indoor amp antenna from circuit city , but after most of one day no luck. I could only get 5-1, Tried a 4 bow tie out side could get 5-1 19-1 27-2 27-3 , no 11-1. Then i switched to antenna craft 40 inch got 11-1 sometimes , upgrade to 60 inch . I will repost after my rotor gets here. The best i can tell is that i need about 48 to 57 inches spacing.

post #96 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you're in the right range. You can calculate spacing via a formula found here: http://www.astronwireless.com/stacking.html

You'll hear all sorts of recommendations, but this formula seems to make the most sense to me and it actually works in practice as well as theory. Use the lowest channel you want to receive in the calculation.
Here's my current setup:
LL
post #97 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Anybody know if WJHL and WKPT increased their power? They are booming in here today at almost 90 % in Morristown the same as WCYB has always been. I was getting a signal level of 68 to 72 WKPT and 72 to 75 WJHL. They both have come up big time to a low 85 high 92 but WCYB is still the same. Wondering if anybody else has the same experience.
post #98 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 04:06 PM

I don't know if they have boosted power, but that would explain the good results I'm having w/ just rabit ears and loop (see my post earlier today).
post #99 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 05:04 PM

I have been able to receive WKPT with 60% signal even though I have been aimed roughly 90 degrees away from Holston Mountain, towards WLOS and WUNF, all day...I had forgotten to turn it back, in fact, because there had been no drop outs....

Right now, without turning back toward Holston, I am showing 95% signal on WCYB (normal...I can turn to just about any direction or even just leave a short length of coax hanging out the back of the tv and get them), 90-95% signal on WJHL (a bit unusual when the antenna is turned this far away from them), and 60% for WKPT (very unusual)...

It was my understanding that WKPT was going to up their power early this year, but I have heard nothing about a specific date, but it could be that they decided to do the work this weekend, what with the good weather and all.
post #100 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 05:35 PM

Just checked direct tv ird and i have fox in high def on channels 88 and 89. But i still am going to try to get it off the air.

post #101 of 515 Old 01-09-2005, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jimc705
Anybody know if WJHL and WKPT increased their power? They are booming in here today at almost 90 % in Morristown the same as WCYB has always been. I was getting a signal level of 68 to 72 WKPT and 72 to 75 WJHL. They both have come up big time to a low 85 high 92 but WCYB is still the same. Wondering if anybody else has the same experience.

Lots of tropo afoot today. It's like a drug, sort of: It tittilates and fools us into hoping for better things, yet, ....the next day ..... it's all gone.

Hope it's real this time. Really, I do.
post #102 of 515 Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 AM

CPCAT; how do you determine how long of a wall mount is required? I think I'm gonna get the telescoping pole and put mine up like yours.
Thanks!
post #103 of 515 Old 01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BANGHEAD11
CPCAT; how do you determine how long of a wall mount is required? I think I'm gonna get the telescoping pole and put mine up like yours.
Thanks!

You just measure the clearance necessary to get out past the edge of the eave. Add about an inch to be safe and be sure you take into account that little bit of shingle overhang, too. I used part of my initial eave mount, then just worked from the top down. I had to cut the "ledge" off of the bottom strap of the eave mount (took it to my local vocational school) to allow the mast to pass on down.

As you're putting up the wall mounts, there's maybe a half inch or so of play built in by spreading or narrowing the bipod part of it. You just can't spread or narrow them too much or you'll not be flush to the wall. Here's a pic of the top part of my mount (the old eave mount).
LL
post #104 of 515 Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 PM

Anybody know if WJHL is at full power? I sent them an email but never got a response. Their signal has increased greatly here. Running close to the 90's for the last 2 weeks.
post #105 of 515 Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 PM

Mine is also staying around 88 .

post #106 of 515 Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 PM

It appears that Charter is now passing WKPT DT and WCYB DT unscrambled, and available to tuners that receive QAM. I just noticed this today, when I hooked up the cable to my digital tuner and did a cable channel scan, and this is a change from a couple of months ago, when all they passed were a couple of music channels and the pay per view preview channel....
post #107 of 515 Old 01-19-2005, 04:02 PM

What channel did they come in on?

post #108 of 515 Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 PM

It maps on my set as 102-1 (WKPT) and 102-2 (WCYB). If your tuner can pick up QAM signals, and you have Charter, then all you have to do is hook up your cable coax to the receiver and do a scan...it will take a few minutes to go through all the cable channels, but you should see them, along with those few music choice channels and ppv previews...you won't get anything like HDNet or ESPNHD, because those are scrambled....btw, I only have the basic cable service now, since I went back to a satellite service, so you apparently don't have to have any kind of special package from Charter.
post #109 of 515 Old 01-19-2005, 04:19 PM

I also have basic , I am in the process of scanning now.I just found them too!!! Thanks a bunch.

post #110 of 515 Old 02-10-2005, 12:57 PM

For anyone interested, according to the FCC website, WCYB, WEMT and WKPT have made their channel elections, although WJHL hasn't, as of 3:50 this afternoon. Seems that WCYB has elected to return to channel 5, WKPT will return to 19, and WEMT will stay on channel 38...since WJHL's dt channel is outside the core, I would assume they will return to 11.

Guess it would be a good idea to invest in a decent all band vhf antenna in the foreseeable future...
post #111 of 515 Old 02-10-2005, 01:07 PM

I would guess that we have a long wait untill the analog stream is shut down. But I have been wrong before.( well if you listen to my wife alot!!!)

post #112 of 515 Old 02-11-2005, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Interesting note, it seems WETP-2/41 did not make an election...

WCYB-5
WJHL-11
WKPT-19
WSBN-32
WEMT-38
WMSY-42
WLFG-49

That's the final election chart for the Tri-Cities stations. WETP will get assigned a frequency by the FCC, based on what I've been told about stations that do not elect...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #113 of 515 Old 02-11-2005, 07:47 AM

I can live with that except for 5. I can get 11 on my UHF very well pointing the wrong direction but 5 is low band VHF and intereference problems abound. I get 5 analog but have interefernce during the day. I hope this doesn't tear up the bit stream. Right now they are my strongest digital at 90+. 2008 I hear as the cut off of analog so I guess I 'll worry about that when it gets here.
post #114 of 515 Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 AM

I think its odd that WCYB picked to go back to 5 in light of the fact that they built out their facilities on 28 at full power to start with, obviously at a great cost.

Trip: Thanks for the update on WETP...I missed checking them yesterday. At least they didn't go back to 2, but I was hoping that they would go full power soon since they are the only shot I have for getting a reliable PBS digital station.
post #115 of 515 Old 02-12-2005, 06:41 AM

Cpcat, I measured for my antenna mast, its gonna take 14" to clear the shingle overhang. Which wall mounts do I use? I only found a 18" or 12".
post #116 of 515 Old 03-17-2005, 07:16 PM

FYI anyone lingering around. WEMT Greenville DT 38 will be going full power 1000KW mid May. Talked with the engineer yesterday via phone.
post #117 of 515 Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 AM

That is good to hear, I might be able to get them.

post #118 of 515 Old 03-18-2005, 03:19 PM

CBS/WJHL DT is now being carried on Charter, and is being passed clear on channel 104-1...that now gives us ABC, NBC and CBS on cable. All we need now are WEMT and WETP.
post #119 of 515 Old 03-20-2005, 04:50 PM

Thanks, I just added it .

post #120 of 515 Old 05-13-2005, 02:53 PM

WJHL DT has been off the air for the last couple of days....if anyone is still here, I was just wondering if anybody knows whether or not this means they are getting ready to raise power??
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page