Little Rock, AR - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hell, they even had all those local commercials with craig o'neil saying it was going to be on HD. This is BS.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm gonna use the Cowboys game to show off my HDTV this Thanksgiving. "The guys" from my family are coming to my house to watch the game after having Thanksgiving lunch at one of my cousin's house in LR.

Yeah I was ticked about the LSU game not being on HDTV as well. I figured CBS would want it in HD considering LSU's standing.
post #273 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

shane,
Where did you get this information?
post #274 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

post #275 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I called KTHV at 501 376-1111
Call and ask to speak to Allison or anyone else in the control room. They said the game would definitely be in HD.

The Networks' and DirecTV's guides are not always accurate, and they do have the "subject to change" disclaimer.....
post #276 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure they are mistaken. Remember, they just pass on what is fed to them nationally. I'm almost positive the HD truck that is normally used for the SEC game of the week is being utilized for the Florida vs FSU game.
post #277 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

time will tell....
post #278 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Ken H, the moderator in HDTV Programming, usually does a great job of making sure everyone's informed about what football games will be in HDTV each week. He is not showing the Arkansas/LSU game as being one of those: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300607

There is also another thread about Florida vs FSU being in HDTV, and the consensus in that thread is that the truck that would have been used for the arkansas/lsu game is in florida.
post #279 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it will. Dont get me wrong - I hope like hell you're right Sam.
post #280 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Allison returned my call just before noon. No HDTV for LSU vs Arkansas. :-((. She said they were pretty upset about it because they (via O'Neal) had been advertising it for some time.
post #281 of 12528 Old 11-26-2003, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone should know the facts, she would, so I guess it's true about the "no-HD game"..
post #282 of 12528 Old 11-27-2003, 06:37 AM

I sympathize with Allison. I can't speak for CBS, but FOX and UPN on occasion do provide incorrect information to their affiliates or make a last minute change with no warning. I was looking forward to the game in HD. On well, maybe next year!

Allen
post #283 of 12528 Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

From HDTV Programming:

"I am posting this to let people know that ABC will run episodes of its normal primetime programs thanksgiving day in HD. If local stations do not get the word that the programs will be in HD they will not air that way. Also any station people that do not work evenings may have never run an HD program and may not know how to do it. West coast stations also need to switch transponders on their HD receivers to get the west coast HD feed. It is very likely that there will be problems with local stations airing these programs if past experience is any guide.

Rory
KXTV
Sacramento"

Just checked KATV - no one's thrown the switch yet. I have to leave the house so i dont have time to call them.

Azanon
post #284 of 12528 Old 11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Well found out my fear of heights is still there. I chickened out installing my antenna after climbing up on the first level of my roof (my dish and antenna is on the higher, second level). I was going to try and see if the mast on the back of my dish could handle the weight of the 4221, though i'm pretty sure that's doubtful. If not, i need to buy a mast of some type.

Well, that project is on hold until i run across someone willing to do it at a fair price. If you find anyone to install it for your friend, Sam, let me know cause i might use him/her as well.

Azanon
post #285 of 12528 Old 12-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Well, the antenna is now mounted on the mast. I can get CBS and FOX. The are both coming in about 58%. Strange - when the antenna was just sitting on the ground CBS was 100%. ??

I have a question about the picture quality maybe one of you knows the answer. When I'm watching a football game in HD on CBS, the gameplay shots from far away look great. But when the camera is zoomed in on a player or coach who is moving around, the picture looks almost like a mosaic, or like it's made up out of blocks. When they stop moving - it looks razor sharp again. Is this normal?

post #286 of 12528 Old 12-01-2003, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...who is moving around, the picture looks almost like a mosaic, or like it's made up out of blocks. When they stop moving - it looks razor sharp again. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, yes. This is a limitation of the MPEG encoder. Even with 19.x Mbps, moving video, especially interlaced video, it tough to encode. Hopefully the encoders will improve. And I would suspect that dropping a subtle hint to the local station that the limitation of the encoder are apparent would encourage them to look for upgrades.

Xesdeeni
post #287 of 12528 Old 12-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Xesdeeni - I thought that was the case.

It kind of detracts from the "you are there" feel when it looks like the players are made out of legos.

post #288 of 12528 Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed the grid pixellation on the cowboys football game this past thursday. ESPN HD doesnt seem to have that problem - even zoomed in shots are in stunning detail.
post #289 of 12528 Old 12-01-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that the national networks send the video to the local affiliates in a much higher bandwidth broadcast (hundreds of megabits). This would be virtually without artifacts. The local affiliate processes the video, including adding their own "bug" (channel logo), promos, weather alerts, etc., and then compresses the combined video for broadcast. ESPN-HD probably encodes their own broadcast once to the HD data rate. Their encoder is probably more expensive than the local affiliates can afford. That's why I recommend gently nudging the local affiliates to keep upgrading.

Xesdeeni
post #290 of 12528 Old 12-03-2003, 08:00 PM

I'm about 20 miles from the Helena bridge. Its about 80 miles to Memphis and about 90 miles to Little Rock. Am I out of luck picking up any ota HD? I havent tried and antenna yet. I was looking at one from Radio shack that is 58 tine's with a 120 mile range. Just want to know if I'm wasting my time. I'll post this in the memphis thread also.

sg
post #291 of 12528 Old 12-04-2003, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

I would guess that you are too far away from Little Rock to get anything. Have you tried antennaweb.org to see what they say about your reception?

post #292 of 12528 Old 12-04-2003, 03:30 PM

Here is what I get.

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass
Orientation
* blue WPTY-DT 25 ABC Memphis TN Now Live 49°
* blue WREG-DT 28 CBS Memphis TN Now Live 52°
* blue WKNO-DT 29 PBS Memphis TN May 1 2004 53°
* blue WLMT-DT 31 UPN Memphis TN Now Live 49°
* blue WMAV-DT 36 PBS Oxford MS Now Live 103°
* blue WPXX-DT 51 PAX Memphis TN Now Live 51°
* blue WABG-DT 54 ABC Greenwood MS Under Review 166°
violet WREG 3 CBS Memphis TN 52°
violet WMC 5 NBC Memphis TN 51°
violet WABG 6 ABC Greenwood MS 166°
violet WMAV 18 PBS Oxford MS 103°

May have a shot at memphis?
post #293 of 12528 Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have been getting audio dropouts on CBS and ABC lately on the digital stations - esp during HD, primetime hour. It was particularily bad on CSI last night. I think it may be related to me using the Silver Sensor instead of the overhead antenna but im not sure. When this happens, the picture does not drop out at all, including no pixellation. Are others experiencing this?
post #294 of 12528 Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't noticed any audio (or video) dropouts on those stations, although I seldom watch anything on ABC. 11 is rock solid, even during rain & lightning.

The Silver sensor sometimes doesn't work well for VHF stations. How is your analog 11 reception using the Silver Sensor? If you see any snow at all on analog 11, it's also likely you're getting a weak signal on 11-1, which is broadcast on VHF channel 12, and at a much lower power than the analog station (27.5kW for the digital, vs 316kW for the analog.

WRT channel 7-1, their digital station is also low power - roughly the same as channel 11's. That, and increased distance from you may be the reason for the dropouts when using an indoor antenna.

If your signal is weak or multpath plagued, reception can also vary widely when the weather changes. Night vs day reception can also be very different if the signal is marginal.

Another possibility is the DD5.1 signal may be giving you audio problems. Have you tried switching to DPL audio (using the RCA audio L+R jacks) when the dropouts occur?
post #295 of 12528 Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by aquacure
Here is what I get.

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass
Orientation
* blue WPTY-DT 25 ABC Memphis TN Now Live 49°
* blue WREG-DT 28 CBS Memphis TN Now Live 52°
* blue WKNO-DT 29 PBS Memphis TN May 1 2004 53°
* blue WLMT-DT 31 UPN Memphis TN Now Live 49°
* blue WMAV-DT 36 PBS Oxford MS Now Live 103°
* blue WPXX-DT 51 PAX Memphis TN Now Live 51°

May have a shot at memphis?

You may have a shot at Memphis, but it would be iffy. If their digital stations are low power, forget it. Check the Memphis threads and see if the stations are full power.

If they are full power, try a good antenna + preamp, on a TALL mast. Even then, reception may be weather dependent.

Forget Radio Shaft and their inflated antenna mileage ratings. Also, don't try a VHF/UHF antenna, since all the Memphis stations above appear to be UHF. You would need a high quality long range UHF antenna, like a Channel Master CM 4228 8-bay bowtie. You would also need a high gain, LOW NOISE preamp, like the CM 7777. If you wanted the Oxford, MS station too, you'd also need an antenna rotator. The CM 4228 antenna is very directional.
post #296 of 12528 Old 12-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

So i guess you're indirectly suggesting its possible to have an audio dropout when the video is unaffected on HDTV - which is what is happening in my case. On CBS, the non-digital version is very bad - fuzzy with what looks like 3 images slightly overlapping. ABC has a little better picture on non-digital, but certainly not anywhere near as clear as what you would expect, say, on cable. I dont recall having sound dropouts on either ABC or CBS with my batwing, which is no longer up. This despite even considering that CBS comes in better on my silver sensor - yet i have audio dropouts??

Though i'm using a DD 5.1 audio connection, I only get CBS and ABC the way they are broadcasting the sound - which is 2.0 (stereo). I say that becaues my receiver is supposed to output the sound the way it is being received if i press "A.F.D." button and on all local networks, the receiver chooses 2.0. Yes, i can force the receiver to output the sound to DPL I. I can also use DPL II, but ive heard that is not recommended for stereo sources, rather older movies that were encoded in "regular" dolby surround (DS, or DPLS- not DD). I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the dropouts though, since i never get dropouts on most of my satellite stations, which are also usually in stereo (sans HD and movie channels like HBO).

BTW Sam, you should really consider going DD 5.1. It it literally the HDTV of sound. I just watch "Drumline" on HBO this past week which was in DD 5.1 and, OMG, the sound was amazing. I just ordered me a set of Ascend Acoustics, a full 5.1 setup, for christmas to replace my old, and more inferior Advent speakers. They should sound gorgeous - i cant wait!

The 4221A is a work in progress. I found another close friend that has already took down the batwing and vows to come back and install the 4221a once we find an appropriate mast. In return, i'm going to fix his computer.

Azanon
post #297 of 12528 Old 12-06-2003, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Azanon
So i guess you're indirectly suggesting its possible to have an audio dropout when the video is unaffected on HDTV
Yes, very possible.

...I'm pretty sure [DD] has nothing to do with the dropouts though, since i never get dropouts on most of my satellite stations, which are also usually in stereo (sans HD and movie channels like HBO).
OTA DD audio and DirecTV DD audio are broadcast in different ways, so your comparison is meaningless. I would at least try the RCA audio L+R connections, just to make sure it's not a OTA DD issue. Read this thread on the subject.

BTW Sam, you should really consider going DD 5.1.
I've heard DD 5.1 many times, and I know it sounds great.
I fully intend to upgrade to a DD5.1 receiver, as soon as the broadcasters get all the kinks ironed out of OTA DD

The 4221A is a work in progress. I found another close friend that has already took down the batwing and vows to come back and install the 4221a once we find an appropriate mast.

How do you plan to install the 4221? On the dish mast, or a separate mast? I would use separate masts, as the 4221 + sat dish on one mast might be too susceptible to wind movement.

Do you have a brick chimney? That would be a good place to attach the 4221.
post #298 of 12528 Old 12-06-2003, 08:44 AM

I'm new to the Little Rock hdtv world and really like what I see off my Comcast feed. One thing has me puzzled and thought a tech on the forum might me able to answer. It appears that the regular analog output coming from Comcast are a bit soft or smeary when converted to 480i by my Mitsubishi 55". Shouldn't a digitized picture be as sharp as it appears to be in analog? The comcast component output of the same channel looks grainy or noisy so it that part probably has to do with a cheap encoder in that box.

FYI, I hooked up an old bowtie antenna clipped to a drape and plugged it into the digital tuner. Ch38 comes in pretty good most of the time and can get Ch 12.1&.2 if I move around the room a bit. I'm planning to put up a small antenna to backup the cable in case of an outage. It does seem the 480 images encoded by 38 are sharper than what I get through the cable and ch12 about the same.

Is there something I could do to improve the sharpness of the pictures my tv set encodes? Thanks for your time.
post #299 of 12528 Old 12-06-2003, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wxguy
I'm new to the Little Rock hdtv world and really like what I see off my Comcast feed. One thing has me puzzled and thought a tech on the forum might me able to answer. It appears that the regular analog output coming from Comcast are a bit soft or smeary when converted to 480i by my Mitsubishi 55". Shouldn't a digitized picture be as sharp as it appears to be in analog? The comcast component output of the same channel looks grainy or noisy so it that part probably has to do with a cheap encoder in that box.

FYI, I hooked up an old bowtie antenna clipped to a drape and plugged it into the digital tuner. Ch38 comes in pretty good most of the time and can get Ch 12.1&.2 if I move around the room a bit. I'm planning to put up a small antenna to backup the cable in case of an outage. It does seem the 480 images encoded by 38 are sharper than what I get through the cable and ch12 about the same.

Is there something I could do to improve the sharpness of the pictures my tv set encodes? Thanks for your time.

KASN-DT (UPN) and KTHV-DT (CBS) never broadcast in 480i. They always upconvert everything to 1080i at the station.

Are you using the comcast box to view the analog channels, or are you using the TV's analog tuner?
post #300 of 12528 Old 12-06-2003, 11:01 AM

As I described in my original question, I look at both.
My TV says the off air stuff is HDSD, so however they are encoding it, my base question is why does a 640x480 analog image look soft and smeary when converted to a digitized 480i, 480p, 1080i or whatever it is changing to?

TV sharpness control doesn't make much difference cause they still appear degraded compared to an analog.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page