Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 12528 Old 01-17-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Where or how did you get a waiver? Did you uh, "move" your D* service address?

I was able to sign up for the distant locals when I subscribed to D* in '95 and have been "grandfathered in" since.

I completely agree with your summation of Kark!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 12528 Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Copy of the email sent to KARK:

Mr.. Chester,

I know that KARK was bought out early last year and this seems to have stalled your move to DTV. I know that your station has always been a leader in this market and I am sure that you intend to continue that in the future. However, I would like to state that our families viewing of KARK has just about ceased since we have gone to a HD set. The digital signal from your station is spotty at best compared to the other digital stations in town. We would like to come back and watch your station more often, Denise Whitaker is a neighbor of ours, but we are now use to watching as much as possible in HD. We were saying that we certainly hope that by the time of the Olympics in August KARK will be at full power and broadcasting in full HD. Thanks for your time.

/ Dennis
post #363 of 12528 Old 01-17-2004, 07:27 PM

A great chance to compare PQ between KATV and KTHV.

ABC News, in rotation, is the pool for the State of the Union and will broadcast the speech in High Definition, the first time a major news event has been transmitted in HDTV. CBS News is the pool for the Democratic response, and will also broadcast in HDTV.

/ Dennis
post #364 of 12528 Old 01-18-2004, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

dlott,
Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure how fair the comparison will be though. If ABC is covering the SOTU, the native format will probably be 720p, which means CBS will have to convert it to 1080i. Nevertheless, I'll still be flipping between 11 & 7 just to see what, if any differences I can spot

WRT KARK, I have friends here in LR who can't receive KARK-DT at all, due to their low power. I told them to file a complaint with Rick Chessen, head of the FCC's DTV Task Force, which they did.
post #365 of 12528 Old 01-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, its no contest: CBS blows away ABC image quality tonight on the State of the Union Address. A rare opportunity to flip back and forth to compare the HD quality with concurrent transmissions. Granted.... I am viewing it on an HDTV with native 1080i, but the comparison is still interesting.

Did anyone else compare?

Azanon
post #366 of 12528 Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It wasn't really a fair comparison.

It was shot in 720p, and broadcast in native 720p on ABC. But CBS converted the 720p feed to 1080i. Since your equipment converted ABC's 720p to 1080i but CBS did the conversion for you, CBS naturally should have looked better. CBS has much better conversion equipment than what's available in a consumer-grade STB.

The real comparison was ABC/CBS vs fox. fox looked like blurry crap, after watching the two HD networks
post #367 of 12528 Old 01-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It wasn't really a fair comparison.

Not necessarily. Who's doing the upconversion, and what resolution its shot in, isnt the only variables. Case in point - on my TV, ESPN HD>CBS HD, and we know ESPN HD is native 720p, requiring my STB to upconvert. In particular, when they zoom the camera into a player's face during an HD football game, CBS HD goes to a pixelated mud on my TV, whereas ESPN HD retains high fidelity. Yeah, i know that has to do with inferior equipment at KTHV, but still that's the comparison for us, which is why i posted here, and not in HDTV programming........ So my point in saying all that is, that "maybe" KATV's equipment for viewing close in zooms is superior to KTHVs. No way to know without a comparison.

That didnt seem to be as much of an issue on ABC vs CBS last night - perhaps because KATV's equipment isnt any better than KTHV's. CBS still looked better on closeups, such as at the start when the VIPs were walking in.

I forgot to check Fox. I've found Fox widescreen to actually look pretty darn good in the past. But i agree, im sure it didnt compare to true HD.

Azanon
post #368 of 12528 Old 01-28-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI, on KTHV-DT & CBS, there will be no DD 5.1 for Super Bowl commercials this year, per Bob Ross of CBS.
post #369 of 12528 Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 AM

I have just started reading this thread, and I am not qualified to speak to the subject, but has anyone engaged Michael Storey at the Demo-Gaz to see if he can join in the effort to rattle the KARK cage?
post #370 of 12528 Old 01-29-2004, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

wangdang,
Welcome to AVS Forum Please add your town and/or ZIP Code to your Profile HERE.

Has Michael Storey written any articles about HDTV in LR? If so, your idea may be a good one. Maybe some negative press would rattle the Nexstar cage (kark's owner) in Dallas. But I don't think any Nexstar stations are HD/Full Power capable. Their plan seems to be "token LP SDTV" until forced to do otherwise by the FCC.
post #371 of 12528 Old 02-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry for late response, but there's no DD 5.1 for any local stations for us, and that is not likely to change for some time (year+). Per page 17, I contacted Russell Wilson of KTHV and was told as much. That's no reason to delay getting DD 5.1 though; I'm loving the 5.1 DD on HBO HD, HDNet, DHD, and HDMovies.

I DO think we'll be seeing some originally recorded DPLII stuff though on the local networks. My new receiver has this mode, and i've noticed some of the primetime shows sound wonderful with it on; perhaps they were encoded using DPLII.
post #372 of 12528 Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DPLII is not an encoding method. It's just a superior way of decoding plain ol' Dolby Pro Logic sources. You get 3front/2rear channel output (vs 3front/1rear for DPL), better channel separation and bass treatment than with regular DPL. DPL's rear channel frequency cuts off at 7+khz. DPLII has no frequency cutoff on its two rear channels.

It sounds very good, without the problems OTA DD 5.1 is having.
post #373 of 12528 Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

That is not my understanding. There was a pretty large thread, I think in HDTV programming (i'll have to hunt it down), that annouced that several primetime shows on various networks will be using DLPII this coming season for encoding. My understanding is that DS, DPL, and DPLII are both decoding and encoding methods.

Quote:

It sounds very good, without the problems OTA DD 5.1 is having

What problems is that? Of course we wouldnt know from experience here. My guess is by the time they get DD 5.1 locally, the local stations will be offered via D* in HDTV. From what i remember from the CES debate on HDNet, the spokesman for D* did indicated being able to provide local HDTV was a goal.
post #374 of 12528 Old 02-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the thread i was thinking of regarding DPLII encoding: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=dplII
post #375 of 12528 Old 02-16-2004, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone else try to watch the movie "It Must Be Love" on CBS last night? KTHV forgot to throw the HD switch, so it was in glorious SD 4:3 + gray sidebars

I wish they'd wake up on the weekends.
post #376 of 12528 Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM

If I am subscribed to local channels for Little Rock & I have a 811 should I be receiving any of the broadcast in HD?
post #377 of 12528 Old 02-16-2004, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sblasl,
If your service address is in a Grade-A or B Little Rock reception area, you can't get distant networks in HD on Dish. You need to plug an antenna into the ANT-IN jack on the 811 and receive them OTA.

Now, there *are* some small towns up in Stone County that can receive CBS-HD (New York) and the LR locals via Dish. If you found an address in Mountain View that qualified, you could "move" your service address there and get the distant nets + LR locals on Dish.

Example:
100 E MAIN
MOUNTAIN VIEW AR 72560
post #378 of 12528 Old 02-16-2004, 08:53 AM

arxaw,

When they installed my system, due to line of sight they were not able to mount the 2nd dish to get 61.5. Does this matter if I change my address?
post #379 of 12528 Old 02-16-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sblasl
...When they installed my system, due to line of sight they were not able to mount the 2nd dish to get 61.5.

If you want a channel that's on the 61.5, you would need the 2nd dish.
post #380 of 12528 Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 PM
hpb

KATV-DT forgot to flip the HD switch for all the shows Tuesday night AGAIN.

How hard is this !

HELLO KATV is anyone awake over there ?

We put the "K" in Kwality
post #381 of 12528 Old 02-27-2004, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hpb
KATV-DT forgot to flip the HD switch for all the shows Tuesday night AGAIN.

How hard is this !

HELLO KATV is anyone awake over there ?

Call and complain. Two control room numbers are:
501 324-7792
501 324-7793
If no answer, leave voicemail, hang up and call their 24 hr news line.

Also, leave after hour voicemail complaints:
Programming Director
324-7783

Email complaints to the General Manager, Programming Dept. & Engineering at:
http://www.katv.com/contact.hrb
Their typical response is that they had "technical difficulties last night....blahblah..." But complaints let them know that people are actually trying to watch HDTV.

I seldom watch that stupid channel, but when I do, it's very annoying to see the same problem occur over & over...
post #382 of 12528 Old 02-27-2004, 01:48 PM
hpb

I sent the following message to the Enginering, Programming, General Manager departments.

Dear KATV,

Thank you for transmitting your primetime network programming in High Definition. You are already ahead of many of your competitors in this area.

However, many times I attempt to watch ABC's HD programming and find that either due to technical difficulties or perhaps an oversight from someone in the engineering department, that a standard definition signal is being broadcast.

This occurred this past Tuesday February 24th. You have spent a considerable amount of money investing in HD broadcast hardware. And I have spent quite a bit of money on receiving and display hardware. It is VERY frustrating to watch a SD picture when an HD picture is possible.

Thank you for listening to my comments,

Harry Broadwell

I'll post any response I receive back from them.

post #383 of 12528 Old 02-27-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My money's on this answer: "technical difficulties", which of course, is BS.

Every time I've called the KATV news line (when MCO won't answer the phone) and complained, the program was magically switched to HD within 5 minutes.

I still email the GM the next day to let them know about the lack of HD. And I always get the reply that it was due to technical difficulties.

KATV obviously doesn't care much about HDTV.
post #384 of 12528 Old 02-29-2004, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
According to TitanTV, tomorrow is the day WB 42 goes digital. Does anybody know if they'll be HD, what their power will be, etc?

Rocky
post #385 of 12528 Old 03-01-2004, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think KWBF is going to make their digital deadline. You can email Doug Krile at the station for specifics. dkrile@ebcorp.net
post #386 of 12528 Old 03-03-2004, 01:10 PM
hpb

I received this response from KATV about forgetting to switch to HD feed.

Mr. Broadwell,
Thank you for your interest in KATV. I apologize for the lapse. We changed the control function of that operation and the person had been away sick and did not realize there had been a change. We continue to try to improve our operations.
James Tidwell
Director of Engineering
KATV,LLC

At least they acknowledged the problem.

post #387 of 12528 Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
hpb

Last night Kingdom Hospital on KATV was delayed due to the Razorback game. After losing in OT, KH was finally run. It looked TERRIBLE on my system. So after getting a quick answer on my last email I decided to ask again. So I sent this email eairlier today.

Mr. Tidwell,

Thanks for the quick response on my last email. I have another question. Yesterday Kingdom Hospital was delayed because of the Razorback game. I assume KATV recorded the program to be replayed at the later time.

Is your recording equipment capable of recording the HD signal or are you limited to SD?

I'm asking because the delayed program was not broadcast in HD and the 4:3 SD signal looked very dark and "muddy" due to the down conversion. Even the "abc" bug in the lower right corner of the screen was almost invisible due to the darkness of the picture.

Thanks,
Harry Broadwell

And here is the answer I received.

==================

Mr. Broadwell,

KATV does not the capability to originate or tape HDTV program content. We can only pass ABC HD programs. The program last night was taped in analog, played back in analog and converted to digital at the transmitter.
James Tidwell
Director of Engineering
KATV, LLC

==================

Just thought this was interesting that KATV has no HD recording capability.

post #388 of 12528 Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hpb
...Just thought this was interesting that KATV has no HD recording capability.

Very few local stations have HD recording capability yet, not unlike when color broadcasts began. Initially, only the networks could afford the very expensive color cameras. The locals could only afford equipment to "pass through" network colorcasts.

None of the LR stations have equipment for HD recording or HD local broadcasts.
post #389 of 12528 Old 03-05-2004, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by arxaw
Very few local stations have HD recording capability yet....None of the LR stations have equipment for HD recording or HD local broadcasts.

That's pretty sad, given that I have that capability in my home, using a sub $300 PCI card in an HTPC that cost less than $1000 to put together. I realize this relies on an already-encoded ATSC signal, but I find it difficult to believe that it would be particularly expensive to put together a short-term combination for the local affiliates to use, that would also not break the bank.

Xesdeeni
post #390 of 12528 Old 03-05-2004, 07:34 AM
hpb

And how much HD equipment could they buy if the sold "chopper 7"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version