Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #12541 of 12553 Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Grit coming to KATV 7-3 New Year's Day?

Looking through various TitanTV listings nationwide (just to see if any Live Well affiliates have leaked their 2015 plans in advance), I noticed that KATV will replace Live Well with the male-oriented Grit network on New Year's Day after midnight (okay, 12:30 A.M., to be exact, with 1983's Sudden Impact kicking off Grit's Arkansas debut).

Check the KATV listings for January 1 on TitanTV to see for yourself! (Hey, at least your Retro TV affiliation is spared...for now.)

Here's the press release (KATV is Sinclair-owned even though Little Rock isn't mentioned in this story):

http://www.grittv.com/sinclair-broad...it-47-markets/

dtv_junkie87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 12553 Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks dtv_junkie87,

I should have thought of doing that .... dah!

dmatch
post #12543 of 12553 Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for info

Grit TV seem to be playing a lot of western movies which I like. I am hoping the new Grit channel increase its bandwidth when it take Live Well (LWN) place on 7.3-as currently there are too much pixelation on LWN channel.
post #12544 of 12553 Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_D View Post
Grit TV seem to be playing a lot of western movies which I like. I am hoping the new Grit channel increase its bandwidth when it take Live Well (LWN) place on 7.3-as currently there are too much pixelation on LWN channel.
I am hoping that too but doubt that they (ABC) really care what it looks like. Look at what they've done to 7-2 lately. They are stretching 4:3 to 16:9 so that everything is short and fat. Most TVs won't undo that kind of stretching and it looks stupid.

DRCars
post #12545 of 12553 Old 12-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
I am hoping that too but doubt that they (ABC) really care what it looks like. Look at what they've done to 7-2 lately. They are stretching 4:3 to 16:9 so that everything is short and fat. Most TVs won't undo that kind of stretching and it looks stupid.

I hope not as it will make it unwatchable. Stretching might be alright for talk or home shows, but not movies. We will know in couple of days
post #12546 of 12553 Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Well, Grit came on this morning (7-3). Not a very good picture with 2.3 Mbps (same as RTV 7-2). The parent channel (7-1) is running about 6-8 Mbps. There is about 5-7 Mbps null packets (unused) in the mux. What's with that? Seems like a waste to me as they could sure use it on the main channel or the subchannels.

DRCars

Last edited by dmatch; 12-31-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #12547 of 12553 Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Afternoon! I have no idea if I'm even posting in the right spot but I'm hoping someone (way more knowledgeable than I am) can assist me in figuring out what sort of OTA antenna might be a good fit for me. I'm in the process of cutting the cord and getting rid of DirectTV in favor of an OTA antenna and eventually a DVR that will work with it. I've been to Tvfool.com and antennaweb.org and it looks like maybe it's saying a Large Directional antenna. My husband is convinced we need an omni-directional but I'm not buying it (won't be the first time for whichever of us might be wrong..lol). I love in Greystone and Cabot and originally bought a super cheap indoor antenna for like 12 dollars at best buy which gave us NBC, ABC, and Fox as far as broadcast channels go and something called GRIT that was playing westerns! Ha! I'm really wanting to be able to pick up CBS and The CW as well if possible.

Any ideas?

Susan
post #12548 of 12553 Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

That antenna was probably intended for UHF broadcast frequencies (can be smaller). It's encouraging that you get that many channels on a indoor antenna. VHF reception (CBS/KTHV is on VHF RF 12 and PBS/KETS is on RF 7) will probably require a larger combination VHF/UHF antenna. You would probably need to put it outside or in the attic. I did a tvfool.com report for the intersection of Hickory Bend Dr. and Greystone Blvd.:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15777ae71b5f

Click the above link to see it. You can also go to TVFool.com and generate a report that is more accurate for your exact location. Your reception and therefore the size antenna you would need could depend on whether you are north or south of that east-west running ridge that goes thru Greystone. Antenna size will also depend on whether there are trees close and to your South/Southwest.

Anyway, there is a legend at the bottom of the report which relates channel background color to the type antenna you may need. It appears that you may need an antenna in the attic or, if possible, an outside antenna for best results. It needs to receive both VHF and UHF frequencies. You can probably point a sufficiently large directional (not omnidirectional) antenna to the South or Southwest and get the channels you want.

If you post a link to a tvfool.com report like the one above for your exact location we can probably give better advice. That link can be copied and pasted from near the top of the report where it says:

Quote:
If you would like to share these results with others, this page can be referenced as:
Hopefully, someone in a similar situation to yours can recommend specific antennas for around 30-40 miles from the transmitters.

Edit: BTW, what appears to be your strongest signal, KTWN, is no longer operating so don't expect to get it.

Just for fun you might try putting the antenna you already have outside a south-facing window just to see what you can get. If you do this don't forget to rescan the channels on your TV. It also helps if you have a signal meter on your TV so that you can use it to help adjust the antenna for best performance.

Hope this helps,

dmatch

Last edited by dmatch; 01-05-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #12549 of 12553 Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New 11.3 Justice Channel. Just color bars on now.

http://www.thv11.com/story/entertain...nett/21714809/
post #12550 of 12553 Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Best programming on TV at the moment. Nice colorful picture with somewhat boring audio.

dmatch
dsettlemoir likes this.
post #12551 of 12553 Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New TIVO OTA user

Hi all,

Live in Maumelle and just purchased a TIVO OTA DVR to try out. Like it a lot but several of the stations are showing incorrect guide data.
I have reported this to them and was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes them to update this information?

I want to record several shows from METV but it is listed on a different channel and the 2 channels I can pull it on are showing other things
30.1 and 49.1.

Thanks for any info.
Tim
post #12552 of 12553 Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Updated Channel Line Up

Hi Bobby,

I have seen your channel line up posts and was wondering if you could post the latest and greatest as of now.
I am trying to get my TIVO OTA's guide fixed (there are several mistakes and I am reporting them to them) and want to compare what I have with what you have.

Thanks,
Tim
post #12553 of 12553 Unread Today, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
Hi Bobby,

I have seen your channel line up posts and was wondering if you could post the latest and greatest as of now.
I am trying to get my TIVO OTA's guide fixed (there are several mistakes and I am reporting them to them) and want to compare what I have with what you have.

Thanks,
Tim

No problem

There has been a lot of changes in last couple of weeks to OTA channels. Grit and Justice channels were added. Justice channel look much better than Grit as Grit still suffer from low bandwidth and pixilation. Also religion channel DayStar (36.1) went 1080i HD with excellent picture quality.

Late at night, Daystar show nature (water falls, mountains, ocean waves, etc..) with written massages, and picture quality is breath taking. I turn off the sound and just look at magnificent views.

Here is updated channel line up:

2.1 KETS (PBS)
2.2 KETS (PBS Create)
2.3 KETS (PBS Plus)
2.4 KETS (Audio only)
4.1 KARK (NBC)
7.1 KATV (ABC)
7.2 Retro TV
7.3 Grit
11.1 KTHV (CBS)
11.2 THV2
11.3 Justice