Little Rock, AR - HDTV - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #12571 of 12587 Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 12587 Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Late followup on my tv reception problems.
When I had this antenna in my attic I was using a channelmaster amp.
I moved the antenna outside and then the pixelation on 38.1 and 42.1 started.
I forgot the channelmaster that was splitting to my 2 tv's.
Last night I saw the power supply feeding the channelmaster and unplugged it.
So far I have seen no problems with any channel.
post #12573 of 12587 Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Charter cable HILARIOUS!!!

My mother lives in Pulaski, Tennessee. She has a strange problem with her cable. Charter cable is supposed to provide OTA stations from Huntsville, AL and Nashville, TN. She has a very standard package with about 100 channels. Recently Charter started requiring ALL TV'S to have a cable box. I suppose it has something to do with compression. Originally there was no problem, but shortly thereafter she lost all OTA stations. First she had drop outs and blockiness, now she has no OTA's. The cable only channels are perfect. Since the OTA's are on VHF, I thought she might have leaky cable because I think VHF, especially VHF-low band, is more susceptible to interference. Her little dog chewed on the RG-6 outside right where it goes into the house. My brother wrapped it in black tape. But the dog chewed it a long time ago, and it seemed to cause no problem. Channels 2 through 13 are all OTA's, except channel 12 is a cable only shop at home channel and it is perfect, so VHF probably has nothing to do with it. I am baffled. The TV upstairs works perfectly on all channels, both OTA and cable only.

I called Charter and the guy said they were not responsible for OTA's. I said I thought that the FCC mandated cable companies to carry all full-power stations within 25 miles. He said no and that Charter not longer supplied OTA's. I said but the cable system in Pulaski has carried OTA's since 1961 (that's when the cable system was founded in Pulaski, TN). He said they didn't carry OTA's. I said that at my brother's house and at my grandmother's house they had OTA's, and I cited WAFF as an example. He said all OTA TV broadcasting was banned in the United States because it interfered with airplanes. I asked him if all TV stations in the U.S. were defunct and he said yes. I told him that I had a 1957 Admiral TV, and I made a TV antenna out of a coat hanger, two shoe boxes, a milk crate, and some tin foil. He said "You made a TV antenna out of a coat hanger, two shoe boxes, a milk crate, and some tin foil?" He then paused and said "We don't support that." I said you don't have to support it, it's working great. Then I lied and said I worked at WHDF, RF channel 14, virtual channel 15 licensed to Florence, AL, but we put our tower south of Minor Hill, TN a few yards above the Alabama line. I told him we put it there to get on the cable in both Huntsville and Florence and told him we had a peanut pattern. Then I said "If all OTA broadcasting is banned in the U.S. does that mean I need not go to work tomorrow? He paused and then I said "Can I speak to someone else?" I was put on hold, and after a minute, I got mad and hung up.

Last edited by aa72dallas; 06-18-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typos
post #12574 of 12587 Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like Soul of the South is gone now. Cozi TV is back on 30.2.
post #12575 of 12587 Old 08-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Soul of the South has been back for a few days.... I'm thinking none of us missed it

I'm wondering when/if KQPS-LD/14 will ever light up on Shinall. It's had a CP for quite a while now:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=kqps#station
http://dtvamerica.com/stations/little-rock-arkansas/
post #12576 of 12587 Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesism View Post
Soul of the South has been back for a few days.... I'm thinking none of us missed it

I'm wondering when/if KQPS-LD/14 will ever light up on Shinall. It's had a CP for quite a while now:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=kqps#station
http://dtvamerica.com/stations/little-rock-arkansas/
Never could get it (SOS) here. Can't miss what I didn't have. By the looks of the technical data on KQPS-LD won't get it either. Boy I would love to have DrTV .

DRCars
post #12577 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's been a while since I've been here. I honestly completely forgot about it since I didn't get any emails at all about updates to the forum.

Anyway, Comcast went and did it to me again recently by sticking on yet another fee that had never been there before and then claiming it was always there and my subscription package didn't cover it. It was the HD Technology Fee. I seriously had not seen that charge in like 5 years or so. I know it is only $10, but it is the principle of the matter. After they made it clear that it was going to stay there, I told them that was the final straw. That, coupled with my having my bill raised $30 a month because of "additional outlet" charges, it just raised my bill more that I cared to pay. I immediately cancelled my TV service from them and am now OTA and a couple of streaming things I am testing out....like the Sling TV thing.

Now I am back to using the "antenna" I made out of speaker wire attached to some coax. It is draped across the corner of my 6' tall bookshelf. It is working so-so, but not as well as I would like. I want to get one that isn't homemade. I just want some sort of antenna that will let me get channels really well without having to mess with it all the time. I would stick one outside and hook it into the Comcast line that was feeding the house, but I don't know where I would put it. Don't want to climb up on top of the house as I have a problem with heights. I am tempted to try one of those Mohu flat antennas that I can just stick to my window on the east side of my house. Has anyone here tried any of those? I figured it would be better than what I have now and they sound good in print.

Well, that's what's going on with me now. Just thought I'd drop by and say that and see what else was going on.
post #12578 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and if anyone still uses Comcast or whatever and would like to get a network tuner for your house, I have my SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime tuner that I can't use anymore. It only does CableCard. It worked great the 3 1/2 years I used it. Thinking I probably won't go back to Comcast, so it is just another $200 device sitting around doing nothing. If anyone wants it and makes me a reasonable offer, I might consider letting go of it. Not real sure if I need to hang onto it or not. Just thought I would entertain the idea of getting some money for it.
post #12579 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought you could use the SilconDust with an OTA antenna, but I don't know much about them. Maybe it's some other SiliconDust tuner I'm thinking of?
dmatch
post #12580 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Hey steveken, just curious... did you have any Comcast boxes or just HDHR's? I had a Comcast STB for the first 3 months. I took it back to the NLR Comcast office in Dec 2014 and asked the rep to remove the HD Tech fee. It's been gone since and I still have HD on my Primes. I still pay for one outlet fee because I have 2 HDHR's. I have tried to get them to remove that but I gave up the fight.

dmatch, the HDHR Dual is what you need for OTA. I have two HDHR Primes for Comcast and two HDHR Duals for OTA, one pointed at Shinall and the other towards Redfield.
post #12581 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
I thought you could use the SilconDust with an OTA antenna, but I don't know much about them. Maybe it's some other SiliconDust tuner I'm thinking of?
dmatch
Yeah, there are a couple other boxes of theirs that do OTA, but this one is strictly CableCard.
post #12582 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesism View Post
Hey steveken, just curious... did you have any Comcast boxes or just HDHR's? I had a Comcast STB for the first 3 months. I took it back to the NLR Comcast office in Dec 2014 and asked the rep to remove the HD Tech fee. It's been gone since and I still have HD on my Primes. I still pay for one outlet fee because I have 2 HDHR's. I have tried to get them to remove that but I gave up the fight.

dmatch, the HDHR Dual is what you need for OTA. I have two HDHR Primes for Comcast and two HDHR Duals for OTA, one pointed at Shinall and the other towards Redfield.
Once upon a time I had a Comcast DVR, but it was crap. I figured if I was going to have to pay for a DVR, I might as well get a couple of TiVo's and have a little bit better of an experience. At least with the two TiVo's and the HDHR I got $7.50 a month knocked off my bill. Still wasn't enough to offset the additional outlet garbage.

They won't remove the HD Tech fee if you have HD access at all, apparently. That was the excuse I was given by every person I talked to. It was the same way with DirecTV when I had them. If you got ANY HD channels, you pay the extra fee. I figured, though, after all these years of HD content being out there, they would remove that bullsh** fee. Guess not. Anyway, I was paying like $170 or so for Comcast with TV and Blast! Internet. Got rid of the TV part and my bill dropped by like $90 or so. I'd rather suffer and maybe find my shows that I can't get OTA from the Internet.

The additional outlet fees showed up suddenly like a year or so ago after having the same set up for a few years before that. It all started when my wife made the mistake of switching from the package we had to Triple Play in a failed attempt at saving money. After we dropped that and went back to what we had is when we started getting audited all the time, our bill would be different EVERY month, and those charges showed up. I went off on them about that for a long time. Didn't get anywhere.

I wish I could get comparable Internet from anyone else. Unfortunately, Comcast is the best in town for that. I don't like paying as much as we do for that, but damn it is fast!!! I am just not looking forward to the time they start enforcing the cap on data usage again. I will be hosed then!
post #12583 of 12587 Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I just saw and wanted to share. If you have a lot of movies and TV shows stored on your network and want an easy way to watch them on your devices, then I would highly suggest Plex. It is a GREAT thing to have. The server side of it is free and runs on a few different platforms to stream it to your devices (roku, fire tv, chromecast, mobile devices, tablets, some tv's, etc). The client app for it on the iPhone/iPad is usually like $5. Right now it is completely free. Even if you were just toying with the idea of trying it out, I would suggest grabbing the app while it is free. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id383457673?mt=8 is the link to it.
post #12584 of 12587 Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM

My base is $89.99 for Preferred Double Play (Blast! internet and everything minus Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, and the Spanish channels in the 600s). I have the Sports Entertainment Pack ($5) and an additional outlet fee ($10) on top of that with a $2.50 credit for one of the cablecards. My grand total is just under $118 a month. I'm not on a contract but I hit 12 months next month. We'll see what happens if it jumps up. I've read that if you tell Comcast that you do not want to pay for HD, they will drop the fee. I also read that the HD fee enables the HDMI and Component ports on a Comcast STB. No idea if the latter is true, but it's how I successfully got the fee removed with no fuss. It had no effect on my cablecards

I've considered switching to u-Verse... I would gain several channels that I'm missing on Comcast (Fox Sports 2, beIN Sports in HD, NBC EPL Extra Time) but I don't want the drop in internet speeds, plus I'd be forced to rent and use their router and STBs.

I second Plex. I have a WMC plugin that lets me stream my entire lineup live from anywhere on any device

Last edited by julesism; 08-11-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #12585 of 12587 Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's just put it this way. Little Rock and North Little Rock are completely different creatures. They are completely different franchisees. They do not follow the same rules sometimes. That is why you got different results than I did. I have been a squeaky wheel often enough with these guys that if anyone were to get there way, it would likely be me. I've raised hell about many many things and gotten them fixed pretty quick. I've even managed to get them to add channels that were missing (even though I think they were working on them in the first place. LOL). I just couldn't get them to fix me up with getting rid of these fees that was causing me to drop. They acted like they didn't even care. Oh well.

I had U-Verse back in like 2008 maybe. It. Looked. Like. Ass. The HD was HORRIBLE. I imagine they got it better now, but I still wouldn't touch it with a 1000000 foot pole. And the Internet speeds they offer are a complete joke. I hate how much it costs with Comcast, but you can't get me to ditch the 75Mbps (in reality more like 83Mbps) download speeds I am getting. The only down side is if they decide to enforce the data cap or introduce tiered Internet services.

I don't know if they have done the math, but you can blow through 250GB with a 75Mbps connection in 135 hours if you used it full blast the whole time. For speeds that fast, it is insane to have a threshold that low. Seriously, 5.625 days is all it would take to burn through it with that fast of a connection! I know you aren't likely to do that, but still. At 25Mbps, it would take 45 days to burn through that data at full speed. That is a bit more reasonable to me. Offer the customer more than what they could possibly use.

Maybe my math is off. I took the 75Mbps / 8 bits in a Byte = 9.375MBps * 60 seconds = 562.5 seconds * 60 minutes in an hour = 33,750 hours / 250GB cap = 135 hours. I think I did it right.

For now, I am happy. Sling TV is working so so for us coupled with the OTA. We watch the OTA more it seems so far. I just need to do something about this antenna issue. I mean it works, it just doesn't have as good of reception as I would like. Just wish I knew someone that had one of those Mohu antennas (or one of the other thin ones that I could tape, essentially, to my window) so I could see how well they worked. I think it might work for me, I'm just nervous about getting one.
post #12586 of 12587 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys seen these antennas before? Wonder how well they work if you don't wanna (or can't) put up a full antenna.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/clear...v-antenna.html

Seems like I go through this antenna bit every few years, huh? LOL Maybe one day I'll get a good one and be done with it.
post #12587 of 12587 Old Today, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveken View Post
You guys seen these antennas before? Wonder how well they work if you don't wanna (or can't) put up a full antenna.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/clear...v-antenna.html

Seems like I go through this antenna bit every few years, huh? LOL Maybe one day I'll get a good one and be done with it.
I also tried u-Verse back in 2008 when I was living in Austin TX. Yes, the PQ on HD was gross. I went back to TWC. When I moved (back) to DFW in 2010, I made sure I lived in a FiOS area. For the most part, it was heavenly. HD PQ, data caps, and slower speeds are keeping me away from U-Verse.

I've been using Terk HDTVa's for years. They worked well for me in Austin (indoors) and the northern Dallas 'burbs (indoors and in attic) Here in LR, they have only been indoors. I struggle with KETS/2 (RF 7). If I stay in my current location, I may put one or both in the attic soon. I have an AD DB8 that I have yet to use here. My Terk's outperformed it in an attic in Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception