Little Rock, AR - HDTV - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #12601 of 12614 Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveken View Post
Yep, been a sub for many years now. They've always had some kinda deal for me when I asked for one. I've not always liked the deal, but they've always had one. LOL I've had like 4 boxes from them and one DirecTV TiVo back in the day. The actual TiVo's I had started with the Series 2 DT all the way up to a Roamio. Still have two Premiere's and the Roamio. The Premieres are a bit slow for me, but still work great.

Never really had any issues. Well, apart from how high the price is for mostly just guide data, but that's because I probably don't use some other features. The Season Pass....errr, OnePass, sorry, is my favorite thing. It's pretty cool in the way it now spans streaming services, too, and not just what it can record. Other than the high price, it has been pretty smooth sailing. But I am sure there are others who have had the opposite experience, though I can't imagine what kind of problems.
I went ahead and subscribed to one year for $179.88 just to check it out. I'm trying to figure out a way to feed my arkwest communications fiber tv into it but so far no success. I'll keep trying. Sometimes I record really long events like football games OTA that I want to keep for a while. At least this way I wont fill up my dvr from arkwest with sports and my wife will be happy that she has more room for her movies...lol

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 12614 Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You aren't going to be able to get anything from one DVR to the TiVo like that. If you are wanting to record OTA stuff, then just hook an OTA antenna straight into the TiVo and set it up to record from there. The TiVo also has the ability to use CableCard, if I am not mistaken, but I doubt arkwest uses that in any way. Basically, just use the TiVo as an OTA DVR. That's how I have all 3 of mine and I still get quite a bit of functionality from them.
post #12603 of 12614 Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveken View Post
You aren't going to be able to get anything from one DVR to the TiVo like that. If you are wanting to record OTA stuff, then just hook an OTA antenna straight into the TiVo and set it up to record from there. The TiVo also has the ability to use CableCard, if I am not mistaken, but I doubt arkwest uses that in any way. Basically, just use the TiVo as an OTA DVR. That's how I have all 3 of mine and I still get quite a bit of functionality from them.
Thats what I did. I hooked straight up to the antenna and plan on using as you said. Thanks for all the help.

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
post #12604 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a very annoying problem that I can't figure out how to solve easily or cheaply (meaning free). I have one of those Radio Shack antennas that looks like a spaceship with a saucer on top of it. It was my dad's and I just started using it after I got it.

I can get ALL the channels in fine, but one. It is really weird. I can get everything pretty well except for 16-1. I can even get the MeTV one that I think is like 20-2 or something. I wasn't always able to get it, but it has started working pretty well lately. I just don't know what the heck is up with 16-1. It has a mid-range signal level it looks like, but it is constantly dropping out and pixelating and doing all the things to make watching anything on it extremely annoying.

I've tried moving the antenna around a tiny bit, but am afraid to do too much because I don't wanna lose the other channels I am getting now in the process. What would cause me to have so much trouble with that one channel? I thought that since I am getting all the other stuff off the same, or adjacent, towers just fine that I shouldn't be having these problems with 16. A lot of my favorite shows are on 16 and I would rather not have to download them now just to be able to watch them since Comcrap has gone to counting our bits on us. I've also thought about getting one of those Mohu antennas or something similar, but I am afraid it won't do much better if I do and it would be wasted money. If anyone can give me some sort of insight on this or a way to fix it, I would appreciate it.
post #12605 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How does the "mid-range" signal level compare to your stable channels. Is it (signal level) jumping around more? Is it lower? Maybe you could describe this a little more.

If it is jumping around severely like going from 60 to 50 and back up quickly it could be interference or multipath if it is windy outside. Hard to imagine interference that would effect RF 30 (16) but not 32 (4) though.

Memorize or mark the antenna location somehow and move it around. You can always put it back. You seem to be using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy. I should do that more often myself. So I guess the question is...Do you consider it broke for your purposes?

You might even need to trade some other channel(s) for 16.

dmatch

Last edited by dmatch; 01-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.
post #12606 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
How does the "mid-range" signal level compare to your stable channels. Is it (signal level) jumping around more? Is it lower? Maybe you could describe this a little more.
It is something in the range of like 48 to 52 currently, but then again, it isn't breaking up like usual. Usually it is during prime time, I guess. Like when Brooklyn 99 and Family Guy and Simpsons and stuff like that is on. I record those shows and watch them later, so I don't see it when it is happening. Even if I did, I couldn't look at the signal levels because the TiVo would have to stop recording to do it.

My stable channels are all up in the 70's. 11 is like 92 or so. Hell, even the 20-1 and 20-2 channels that are down in like the 28 to 32 range (can't remember exactly what they are at the moment) come in more solidly than 16 does. It is just that ONE channel for some reason. 16 is on the same tower as 4 if I remember right. That is why it doesn't make a lick of sense why I am having so much trouble with it.

Quote:
If it is jumping around severely like going from 60 to 50 and back up quickly it could be interference or multipath if it is windy outside. Hard to imagine interference that would effect RF 30 (16) but not 32 (4) though.
I don't really think it is jumping around that much. When I have looked at it in the past when it is getting broken up, it hasn't jumped around too bad. At least not enough that I would consider it low enough to make it want to do that. I suppose I will have to look at it again when it is choppy to see if it is.

Quote:
Memorize or mark the antenna location somehow and move it around. You can always put it back. You seem to be using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy. I should do that more often myself. So I guess the question is...Do you consider it broke for your purposes?

You might even need to trade some other channel(s) for 16.
Well, yeah, in regards to that single channel, it kinda is broke. I mean, it is so bad that I miss lines of dialog and get aggravated and look for a source online to watch. I would go about moving it around more, but it took a LOT of trial and error to get it where it is now. I just wish there was a way I could put this one outdoor antenna I have (Philips MANT910) outside to see if that would fix it. I just don't have a place to mount it....not without some problems anyway. It isn't even all that great, so I don't think it would help anything.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of those Mohu antennas around here? The kinda that are super flat and stick in a window? What I have right now *should* work just fine and I would probably be wasting time and money on another one. It's just kinda irritating is all.
post #12607 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

And looking at 16 now, the signal level is jumping all over the place. Nothing else is, though. Guess it must be interference of some sort.
post #12608 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Probably not windy there since it's not windy here. That would probably eliminate multipath/signal problem due to trees moving around. Sounds like it might be interference. Does channel 4 have any hint of a problem (signal move up down more than others) when 16 is having the problem? I would expect DTV 4 being on RF 32 that it might be subject to some of the same interference.

Is your antenna omni-directional? If it is then perhaps a different type would be better at tuning away from the interference. I would think that interference would be hard to eliminate with an omni-directional since it could come from almost any direction.

Sorry that I don't know anything about the Mohu, but I have the impression these unique looking small antennas are pretty much snake oil. Perhaps someone else will know something about it.

It would be interesting to see what people that post in the AVS HDTV Technical forum would have to say about this. If you were to post there be sure and say where you are and include a link to a TVFool.com report link. It won't show your location. They like that sort of thing.

dmatch
post #12609 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mohu Antenna
and from that link the following:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...a-antenna.html
and some antennas compared
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/useful-gad...y-really-work/
and some other links are also in that thread.

dmatch

Last edited by dmatch; 01-22-2016 at 08:29 PM.
post #12610 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Probably not windy there since it's not windy here. That would probably eliminate multipath/signal problem due to trees moving around. Sounds like it might be interference. Does channel 4 have any hint of a problem (signal move up down more than others) when 16 is having the problem? I would expect DTV 4 being on RF 32 that it might be subject to some of the same interference.
No trees, so wind wouldn't have anything to do with it. I mean NONE. LOL That was one thing I made sure of when the house was built. LOL Nope, channel 4 is pretty solid. Well, it might fluctuate 3 or 4 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch
Is your antenna omni-directional? If it is then perhaps a different type would be better at tuning away from the interference. I would think that interference would be hard to eliminate with an omni-directional since it could come from almost any direction.
It's the one on this page that looks like the Enterprise D a little. http://www.missingremote.com/review/...na-w-rf-remote I don't have the remote, stupid step-monster (step-mother) lost it when she was rushing to move out of state after she.....nevermind, I'll leave that out. (Still incredibly mad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch
Sorry that I don't know anything about the Mohu, but I have the impression these unique looking small antennas are pretty much snake oil. Perhaps someone else will know something about it.
Well, I know there are many many companies that make them now. Like antennacraft and what not. I figure they must work. They are supposedly made off of military grade designs and stuff. Just seems like it might be better than a classic one that takes up a lot of space, but that's just going by the tech specs on it.
post #12611 of 12614 Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the TVFool report for my address with nothing put in for the AGL of the antenna. I didn't include any of the other stuff that is outside of my reception range and didn't matter. I find it funny 16 and 4 are both at the top with the same info, more or less, but 16 is unwatchable most of the time. Just doesn't make sense at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 11.24.42 PM.png
Views:	23
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1202913  
post #12612 of 12614 Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What you all up too? Long time since Ive been on here. Just put up a bi-directional 8 bay antenna (4 bay pointed west, and 4 bay pointed south) with a combiner mounted on it. Seems to work pretty well, even on the Tivo Premier which has the crappiest ATSC tuner Ive ever seen.

Had to hook it up to get rid of two rooms of Comcast. They are really raising prices fast. Now they are hitting me for $10 or $20 a month for internet overages....so I dropped two cablecards for the spare rooms to save back the $20. Got a Tivo extender for one room to snag a tuner off my Tivo in the living room. Only watch about four cable channels I can get OTA, and it pisses me off having to pay so much for those 4 channels...but a Football and Nascar fan has to do what one has to do.

Anyway, just thought I would say hello.

Dave

post #12613 of 12614 Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, long time no see. Glad to know you are still kicking around.

You still using that 10' BUD and doing FTA? It's getting harder and harder to get some of the newer stuff. 16APSK can be really tough to get. That 10 footer should be getting more and more useful. My 7.5' BUD is starting to let me down more and more often.

dmatch
post #12614 of 12614 Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yep, still have the 10' BUD. All I ever watch on it are the NFL games on Anik out of Canada. I dont know what format they are using, it just scanned in and worked. I also watch Fox out of Springfield if there is something on Fox I want to watch, and our local Fox has a 1/3 screen weather map and scroll on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page