Little Rock, AR - HDTV - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 12529 Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, new member and like the forum. Is anyone having problems picking up KTHV over the air tonight? Mine has worked fine for a couple of weeks (just installed), but tonight it is acting up. The signal strength meter still shows that it is the same as it has always been, however it indicates it is "not locked" on for some reason. I still get Fox and others just fine. I am using Dish Network with the 942 receiver and I have a Jensen off air antenna that has been working great.

thx for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 12529 Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Welcome CMatt. I cant really help you, because my rotor control box is not working. I have two antennas, but the VHF/UHF combo is pointed south at PBS ch 5. The UHF one is pointed west, I am getting a 25 out of 100 signal from KTHV with Signal Lock, however, that receiver needs at least 35 on the signal strength before it will unmute the video and audio, so I cant test it right now. If you still have problems, and someone else should be able to help you out.

If not, let me know and Ill hook up a pair of rabbit ears and see what happens.

post #1263 of 12529 Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If your signal strength hasn't changed, (always) try rebooting the receiver by unplugging it for a few minutes. Then, do a re-scan for local OTA channels.

Sometimes data changes at the station will require this to be done, at least on some OTA tuners.
post #1264 of 12529 Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was picking KTHV-DT up fine last night, however, it was showing up as 12-1 and 12-2 instead of 11. I don't know if that could cause any problems, I didn't check my signal strength either. Changing topics just a little, but has KTHV-DT ever had their PSIP info up? I noticed that of the channels I can get, they were the only one without info, but I rarely look at the guide, and couldn't remember if it has been there in the past. Like arxaw said, it looks like they may have recently made some changes that are causing some issues.

Rocky
post #1265 of 12529 Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM

We were having some PSIP problems which would explain why some of you were seeing channel 12 instead of 11 and why some weren't seeing us at all! We think we managed to get everything going back to normal again this afternoon.

I know how you guys were looking forward to watching Rudolf in HD tonight and I sure don't want to spoil the fun.

Just kidding....

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1266 of 12529 Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM

My 7 year old is enjoying Rudolf!! It is not 16:9 though? Is that something on my end? Will check the shows that are coming up next.

Thanks again Alison (and all) for your help!!
post #1267 of 12529 Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatt View Post

My 7 year old is enjoying Rudolf!! It is not 16:9 though? Is that something on my end? Will check the shows that are coming up next.

Thanks again Alison (and all) for your help!!

All is well...other shows look great and in 16:9.

Thanks again.
post #1268 of 12529 Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Rudolph was recently digitally re-mastered in HD. But back in '64 made for TV movies (or animations) were obviously all made in 4 X 3. So last night's show was an example of a HD 4X3 production. Don't feel bad, it had my guys in the control room a little confused as well.

It goes to show you that not everything that is wide screen is HD and not everything that is 4X3 is just upconverted analog material. Go figure!

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1269 of 12529 Old 12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the update Alison. I figured that it was something you'd have fixed in no time. PSIP info was fine last night, and I enjoyed Rudolf in HD as well.

Rocky
post #1270 of 12529 Old 12-02-2005, 05:56 PM

I could receive FOX, CBS, NBC, UPN (FOX and CBS the best) in digital in North LR up until two days ago. Now I get only FOX and NBC on my DELL plasma TV. CBS just disappeared. I did automatic search, manual serch, unplugged/plugged the power cord. Nothing helped. I wonder if it is because of some changes to CBS broadcast, or is it my TV?
post #1271 of 12529 Old 12-03-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

I could receive FOX, CBS, NBC, UPN (FOX and CBS the best) in digital in North LR up until two days ago. Now I get only FOX and NBC on my DELL plasma TV. CBS just disappeared. I did automatic search, manual serch, unplugged/plugged the power cord. Nothing helped. I wonder if it is because of some changes to CBS broadcast, or is it my TV?

As far as I know everything is fine with KTHV-DT; we are at full power with psip working. I suggest you unplug (and wait a minute), reset and re-scan everything again and see what happens. We had psip problems earlier in the week that could have caused a problem for you.

If you still have no luck you can call on Monday (376-1111) and ask for me. Either I or one of the highly intelligent technician elves at THV will try to help figure out what is going on with your reception.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1272 of 12529 Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Who decides which football games are on TV in Arkansas?

CBS is showing a meaningless game between the Colts and Titans. The Titans have a losing record and the game is not in HD.

Meanwhile - the Bengals and Steelers are playing for the division lead.

I know Tennessee is one state over, but come on, there are not any Titan fans here.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #1273 of 12529 Old 12-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotool View Post

Who decides which football games are on TV in Arkansas?

CBS is showing a meaningless game between the Colts and Titans. The Titans have a losing record and the game is not in HD.

Meanwhile - the Bengals and Steelers are playing for the division lead.

I know Tennessee is one state over, but come on, there are not any Titan fans here.

Yeah - they finally put the good game on! All due to my post, I am sure.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #1274 of 12529 Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 AM

Same issue up in NW Arkansas. Here we get "blessed" with the Jacksonville games because of Matt Jones. Now once or twice that was fine, but having to endure the Jags. vs the Texans a few weeks back was a horrible choice. Also, the NFL Today pre-game show isn't aired here, as a local church broadcast is on instead. Alison can you provide any info in regards to what is choosen to air and the thought process behind it? I understand if it is "confidential"...
post #1275 of 12529 Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj829 View Post

Same issue up in NW Arkansas. Here we get "blessed" with the Jacksonville games because of Matt Jones. Now once or twice that was fine, but having to endure the Jags. vs the Texans a few weeks back was a horrible choice. Also, the NFL Today pre-game show isn't aired here, as a local church broadcast is on instead. Alison can you provide any info in regards to what is choosen to air and the thought process behind it? I understand if it is "confidential"...

We do get to pick some of the time. But you can imagine it is a loose-loose situation. Since we can only air one game, it is sure to disappoint some folks. We do air the NFL Today show here. You can imagine your CBS station picked the Jags to satisfy the Hog fans. But there are many KC fans too! So you can see the problems making the decision causes.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1276 of 12529 Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If there are 2 games available simultaneously and they are both SD, can you run them both (on sub channels)? Or are there restrictions that prevent that?
post #1277 of 12529 Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

If there are 2 games available simultaneously and they are both SD, can you run them both (on sub channels)? Or are there restrictions that prevent that?

So far the only time when multi-casting is permitted is during March Madness and Masters Golf. I am sure the contract between the NFL and CBS prevents multi-casting. I recommend the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV to those folks who like to pick particular games they want to watch.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1278 of 12529 Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Alison. I'm sure the NFL's contract w/ DirecTV has a lot to do with it.

Having DNS-HD helps add some game choices for people with DirecTV who qualify.
post #1279 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

KTHV DT appears to be down (or very reduced power) here in West Lincoln county. Also the analogs from KTHV and KARK are very snowy here. Could the possible installation of an antenna for a full power KARK-DT/HD? be the reason.

BTW, KLRT is fine here (except for some of the gawd-awful daytime programming).

post #1280 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA View Post

KTHV DT appears to be down (or very reduced power) here in West Lincoln county. Also the analogs from KTHV and KARK are very snowy here. Could the possible installation of an antenna for a full power KARK-DT/HD? be the reason.

BTW, KLRT is fine here (except for some of the gawd-awful daytime programming).

Wishful thinking on your part! No, the reason is the top beacon on the main TV tower is out and we are using the auxiliary antenna for the analog while the poor tower guy is on top changing the lamp. We are back to full power on all transmitters now. We didn't want to fry the poor tower guy while he was working!

However, KARK is working with Entergy to bring more power to their facilities this weekend. Now that is a good sign! That means a full power "U" is in the near future!

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1281 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM

Looks like some great info in here....
I only have a "Terk" indoor antenna, and all i can pick up OTA is KTHV. Good news is that is the channel i watch the most, but bad news is i sure would like to get the other big 3. I have a buddy in Benton that only gets KTHV & FOX. Not sure what antenna he has, but I think it's the Terk TV55 powered version. I live in sort of a hole, but KTHV comes in strong. Any ideas what antenna I need, w/o having to mount something in the attic or outside????? I'm not sure if it's a UHF/VHF thing or what.
Thanks a TON for any advice.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike - Litte Rock
post #1282 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike750_99 View Post

Looks like some great info in here....
I only have a "Terk" indoor antenna, and all i can pick up OTA is KTHV. Good news is that is the channel i watch the most, but bad news is i sure would like to get the other big 3. I have a buddy in Benton that only gets KTHV & FOX. Not sure what antenna he has, but I think it's the Terk TV55 powered version. I live in sort of a hole, but KTHV comes in strong. Any ideas what antenna I need, w/o having to mount something in the attic or outside????? I'm not sure if it's a UHF/VHF thing or what.
Thanks a TON for any advice.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike - Litte Rock

Mike, I can only speak to the indoor Jensen antenna I have. It is a low profile, powered antenna that works great where I live in Maumelle. When I "scan locals," I get KTHV, Fox, KARK (although they don't broadcast anything in HD yet), and KASN (38). Channel 7 (KATV) is too far away from me I think.

The others on this forum have much more knowledge than I do, so I bet there will be some better info coming!!

Hope that helps!
post #1283 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatt View Post

Mike, I can only speak to the indoor Jensen antenna I have. It is a low profile, powered antenna that works great where I live in Maumelle. When I "scan locals," I get KTHV, Fox, KARK (although they don't broadcast anything in HD yet), and KASN (38). Channel 7 (KATV) is too far away from me I think.

The others on this forum have much more knowledge than I do, so I bet there will be some better info coming!!

Hope that helps!

Also, here is a website you can view to get some additional info. If you put your address in, it will tell you the type of antenna to get for each station. (takes 5 posts to be able to put a URL on here).

http://www.checkhd.com/buyersguide/a...tionguide.aspx

Thanks
post #1284 of 12529 Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

I would seriously consider the Channel Master 4228 for the best overall performance for the dollar. It will receive channels 7-13 okay (won't do anything for low-band channels 2-6) and shines on UHF 14-69. Its very directional though and will pull in the current area DTVs (save for KETS which is on ch 5) provided you get a rotor. Right now, I'm receiving WXVT analog (ch15) from Greenville, MS with it (a little trop enhancement doesn't hurt though )

I'm also using a small log periodic for AETN (KETS 2 & 5), and KARK analog, and a homebrew phasing harness using twin lead for both antennas into a CM 3041 preamp. Not perfect but works.

post #1285 of 12529 Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mike,
A cheap set top VHF/UHF antenna (rabbit ears) will likely work better than any TERK antenna. They are promoted in stores because of the high profit margin, not good performance. I have seen posts on AVSForum where users reported gettin more channels with a piece of lead in wire than when using a TERK antenna.

See this antenna comparison for some better choices (terk isn't even mentioned). A good choice may be a CM 4221 UHF antenna, which should get channels 7-69. For AETN (KETS-DT), you'll need a VHF lowband antenna.
post #1286 of 12529 Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Mike,
A cheap set top VHF/UHF antenna (rabbit ears) will likely work better than any TERK antenna. They are promoted in stores because of the high profit margin, not good performance. I have seen posts on AVSForum where users reported gettin more channels with a piece of lead in wire than when using a TERK antenna.

See this antenna comparison for some better choices (terk isn't even mentioned). A good choice may be a CM 4221 UHF antenna, which should get channels 7-69. For AETN (KETS-DT), you'll need a VHF lowband antenna.

I am going to have to agree with Sam here on the Terk. There may be some folks out there that are satisfied with it, however I think for you money you can find a better deal.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1287 of 12529 Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM

I don't know that I have ever seen anyone actually reporting good reception from a Terk. I would definitely get something else.
post #1288 of 12529 Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I really don't know where else to post this. I live at the base of Shinall, which means that I get KTHV, KLRT, and KARK well. But it also means I cannot get KASN, KETS, or KATV with antenna because of the big hill in my way. So, I have been considering a change to Comcast. Now, I know that installation experiences have been rough over the years, and their prices are much higher (that's why I switched to satellite years ago), but can anybody tell me what Comcast's HD picture quality is like?

Matt
post #1289 of 12529 Old 12-08-2005, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For any DirecTV subscribers: If you get your local HD channels OTA with a DirecTV/OTA receiver, you may have noticed that AETN's program listings have been incorrect for some time. The 2nd & 3rd sub channels were wrong in the guide supplied by D*.

Anyway, I contacted Tribune Media Services that supplies the guide to D* and this should be fixed by this weekend.
post #1290 of 12529 Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello fellow Arkansans. I just orderd my hp 65" tv. I am in Russellville and i guess i have a few questions. Can i pick up OTA HD Channels? Do i need to pick up OTA channels if i use dish or direct tv? I am using Cox right now, but i don't know if they offer HD Channels. Thanks for the help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page