post #1351 of 12528 Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbart3 View Post

jparry-
any recommendations on where to buy the channel master 7777? does the pre-amp work as a signal boost?

This is where I got mine

CM 7777 V/U preamp:
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/7777.htm
CM 4221 UHF antenna:
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/4221.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 12528 Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I did try pointing the antenna towards redfield, but to no avail for 22.1. I don't get 39.1/38 either. when I pointed it towards redfield, i lost my signal to 4, 11, and 16. maybe the db4 is not strong enough? i do have some trees to the south and and east of my house, but they are at roof top level and are about 50 feet from the roof line.

You are on a hill, and with your antenna pointed (roughly south, southeast) you cannot even get channel 38 analog? How high is the hill you are on compared to other hills south of you? Where are you mounting your antenna, what type of connection are you running from the antenna to the coax (300 to 75 ohm, or does the antenna have a built in 75 ohm feed?)? How long is your antenna run? To be honest, it sounds like your antenna or coax has a short, you should be able to receive 38 analog and 39.1 pointed at redfield unless you were being blocked by some really large hills within 10 miles or so. Just one caution on preamps, they can easily overload on strong signals (channel 16.1 for example) and cause havoc with reception on other channels, so if you try one, get it from somewhere with a return policy in case it doesnt work. Even in North Little Rock, I have not been able to use one with any success. If you have acces to a map of your area, with elevations, you can draw a line from your house to redfield, and check the hill heights over the entire path, to see if you have a hill blocking you that you are not aware of.

Cannot answer any Dish questions, I use Directv.

post #1353 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Well guys, it's that time of year again. Starting Wednesday, Ch. 7 will begin pre-empting ABC programming with JP's SEC basketball games. I complained about this last year, and I will do so again. Like I said then, I can understand for Razorback games, but not for other games. Anyway, I went back and looked at the posts from last year, and saw one which stated the 7's GM had come on and made a statement about possibly using their multicasting ability this year to allow us digital viewers to see "Lost" at the right time. I have e-mailed them to find out if that was going to happen, but I thought if anyone else cares, you might want to do the same.

Oh great. Having just offically entered the HDTV world less than a month ago, I've noticed KATV bump Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve to a 11:30pm local timeslot (and NO HD) so the station could make an extra buck or two off of EBLR reruns. I'm glad that KATV does HD, but it should also be noted that premptions for second-tier SEC games (especially non-Hog ones) won't cut it, outside of hardcore CBB fans.
Also note this interesting information from JP Sports. Not all stations carring JP games carry all the Wednsday night ones.

I will pointing the CM 4228 to the east-southeast on Wed night and hoping that WABG-DT's signal , makes it to this part of Lincoln County.

BTW, KATV-DT is still low power (signal is most subject to dropouts of current LR HD stations) but watchable only due to clear line of sight to my north-northwest.

H.

post #1354 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

Just one caution on preamps, .... I have not been able to use one with any success...

A preamp might overload a DAT75, but probably not a DB4. I used a CM 7777 preamp when I lived in central LR. It didn't overload any channels using a CM 4221, which is similar to the DB4, according to actual antenna tests I've seen online.

For me, the CM 7777 made an improvement in reception of low power station KATV-DT.
post #1355 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

While channel surfing last night, planned on catching Antiques Roadshow on the PBS National (west coast) feed on 2-2 at 10pm, but instead found a program called Create . Seems the entire 2-2 schedule has changed to How-to programing.

H.

post #1356 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
haley-SEA,
thanks for that link to JP sports, hopefully we'll get a few HD Lost's in the next few months. They will not be multicasting, and even when they start, ABC programming will be pushed back to 7-2, meaning no HD. Here is the response I got from Ch. 7:

Thank you for contacting KATV about our plans for Lost on Wednesday
nights during SEC Basketball season. KATV's current contract with JP
Sports calls for their games to be carried on the station's primary
signal. We don't anticipate the multiple program streams will become a
reality for another two years when the FCC has mandated the analog signal
will be turned off. Once multicasting becomes a reality, we expect to be
able to carry both ABC's programming as well as the SEC games live.

KATV is in a unique situation. Our job is to bring our viewers the
very best in entertainment and sports programming and we do our best to do
just that. Over the years we have learned when we have two popular
programs scheduled for the same time period there is no way to make
everyone happy. We understand there are legitimate differing opinions for
every decision we make, but I want you to know that we make every
judgment in good faith. I trust you will continue to share your views with
us.

Thank you for contacting KATV and for watching Channel 7.

Richard Farrester
Program Director

Rocky
post #1357 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

haley-SEA,
thanks for that link to JP sports, hopefully we'll get a few HD Lost's in the next few months. They will not be multicasting, and even when they start, ABC programming will be pushed back to 7-2, meaning no HD.

They could do the JP sports at a very low bitrate 480i (since JP Sports is poor SD quality anyway), and do ABC-HD on 7-2. That's assuming the KATV could figure out how to do that. They used to carry the defunct abc news now on a sub channel, so they do have multicasting capability.
post #1358 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

You are on a hill, and with your antenna pointed (roughly south, southeast) you cannot even get channel 38 analog? How high is the hill you are on compared to other hills south of you? Where are you mounting your antenna, what type of connection are you running from the antenna to the coax (300 to 75 ohm, or does the antenna have a built in 75 ohm feed?)? How long is your antenna run? To be honest, it sounds like your antenna or coax has a short, you should be able to receive 38 analog and 39.1 pointed at redfield unless you were being blocked by some really large hills within 10 miles or so. Just one caution on preamps, they can easily overload on strong signals (channel 16.1 for example) and cause havoc with reception on other channels, so if you try one, get it from somewhere with a return policy in case it doesnt work. Even in North Little Rock, I have not been able to use one with any success. If you have acces to a map of your area, with elevations, you can draw a line from your house to redfield, and check the hill heights over the entire path, to see if you have a hill blocking you that you are not aware of.

Cannot answer any Dish questions, I use Directv.

Thanks for the info. No, I cannot even get 38 analog. I live on Summit Ridge, off Chenal parkway, which appears to the tallest hill around, but i would have to look at a map. i am looking at buying a winegard HD-9095P antenna. I'm afraid a preamp would choke out 4, 11, and 16. I emailed the tech at KATV and he said they are still on 10KW until probably July 06 at the earliest.
post #1359 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparry View Post

This is where I got mine

CM 7777 V/U preamp:
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/7777.htm
CM 4221 UHF antenna:
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/4221.htm

thanks, i think i will avoid the preamp idea and get a bigger antenna -- winegard HD 9095P.
post #1360 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

A preamp might overload a DAT75, but probably not a DB4. I used a CM 7777 preamp when I lived in central LR. It didn't overload any channels using a CM 4221, which is similar to the DB4, according to actual antenna tests I've seen online.

For me, the CM 7777 made an improvement in reception of low power station KATV-DT.

Thanks, thats good to know. I kinda figured him being right under the transmitters on Chenal, he might have the same problem I did. I never tried the preamp on a low(er) gain antenna, just a quantum and Dat75, both of which are pretty high gain.

post #1361 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. No, I cannot even get 38 analog. I live on Summit Ridge, off Chenal parkway, which appears to the tallest hill around, but i would have to look at a map. i am looking at buying a winegard HD-9095P antenna. I'm afraid a preamp would choke out 4, 11, and 16. I emailed the tech at KATV and he said they are still on 10KW until probably July 06 at the earliest.

If thats the Summit Ridge if the Kanis/Kirby rd area of west LR, you are about 1/2 mile NW of a location I just did a site survey at to help him install an OTA antenna, and his signal strength on Redfield (all channels including 7.1) were outstanding, with the antenna in the living room, so the signal is in that area, unless you have something really high SE of you (and he was on a pretty high hill). Just for grins, try hooking a piece of wire about 6" long into the end of a RF patch cable and plug the patch cable into your antenna jack, and see if you get ANY signal from redfield. If you do, check your antennas coax. The highest gain antenna in the world wont help you if you dont have any signal. If you cannot get any signal at all on a DB4, a higher gain antenna probably wont help either, only elevation of the antenna to clear the blockage. Also, can you get VHF from Redfield there ok?

post #1362 of 12528 Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
Regarding the scheduling of Dish network and Little Rock HD Locals, I found the following on satelliteguys.us:

Translated to DMAs:

Dish Network HD LiL List

(#1) New York, NY
(#2) Los Angeles, CA
(#3) Chicago, IL
(#4) Philadelphia, PA
(#5) Boston, MA
(#6) San Francisco, CA
(#7) Dallas, TX
(#8) Washington, D.C.
(#9) Atlanta, GA
(#10) Houston, TX
(#11) Detroit, MI
(#13) Seattle, WA
(#14) Phoenix, AZ
(#15) Minneapolis, MN
(#16) Cleveland, OH
(#17) Miami, FL
(#18) Denver, CO
(#19) Sacremento, CA
(#20) Orlando, FL
(#21) St. Louis, MO
(#22) Pittsburgh, PA
(#23) Portland, OR
(#24) Baltimore, MD
(#25) Indianapolis, IN
(#26) San Diego, CA
(#27) Charlotte, NC
(#29) Raleigh, NC
(#30) Nashville, TN
(#31) Kansas City, MO
(#33) Milwaukee, WI
(#35) Greenville, SC
(#36) Salt Lake City, UT
(#37) San Antonio, TX
(#42) Norfolk, VA
(#43) New Orleans, LA
(#44) Memphis, TN
(#45) Oklahoma City, OK
(#46) Albuquerque, NM
(#49) Buffalo, NY
(#50) Louisville, KY
(#51) Providence, RI
(#52) Jacksonville, FL
(#53) Austin, TX

The WTF section :P
(#61) Tulsa, OK
(#77) Springfield, MO
(#78) Spokane
(#90) Burlington, VT

NOT PLANNED (Top 60 DMAs)
(#12) Tampa, FL
(#28) Hartford, CT
(#32) Columbus, OH
(#34) Cincinnati, OH
(#38) West Palm Beach, FL
(#39) Grand Rapids, MI
(#40) Birmingham, AL
(#41) Harrisburg, PA
(#47) Greensboro, NC
(#48) Las Vegas, NV
(#54) Wilkes Barre, PA
(#55) Albany, NY
(#56) Fresno, CA
(#57) Little Rock, AR
(#58) Knoxville, TN
(#59) Dayton, OH
(#60) Richmond, VA

Notice that LR is in the "Not planned" category.

John
post #1363 of 12528 Old 01-11-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:

If thats the Summit Ridge if the Kanis/Kirby rd area of west LR, you are about 1/2 mile NW of a location I just did a site survey at to help him install an OTA antenna, and his signal strength on Redfield (all channels including 7.1) were outstanding, with the antenna in the living room, so the signal is in that area, unless you have something really high SE of you (and he was on a pretty high hill). Just for grins, try hooking a piece of wire about 6" long into the end of a RF patch cable and plug the patch cable into your antenna jack, and see if you get ANY signal from redfield. If you do, check your antennas coax. The highest gain antenna in the world wont help you if you dont have any signal. If you cannot get any signal at all on a DB4, a higher gain antenna probably wont help either, only elevation of the antenna to clear the blockage. Also, can you get VHF from Redfield there ok?

Yes, Summit Ridge backs up Kanis. I am on the highest point of that hill, but do have some trees SE of me. I do get a decent analog signal/VHF from KATV, but do not get UPN 38 at all. I will try your idea - what is an "RF" patch cable? Also, if I do hook up a winegard 9096P as a 2d antenna facing towards Redfield, how far from the DB4 does it need to be so that it doesn't cause inteference with it? thanks.
post #1364 of 12528 Old 01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Summit Ridge backs up Kanis. I am on the highest point of that hill, but do have some trees SE of me. I do get a decent analog signal/VHF from KATV, but do not get UPN 38 at all. I will try your idea - what is an "RF" patch cable? Also, if I do hook up a winegard 9096P as a 2d antenna facing towards Redfield, how far from the DB4 does it need to be so that it doesn't cause inteference with it? thanks.

RF patch cable, one of those little cables that come with a vcr or dvd player that no one uses because they hook em up with a/v cables.

The two antennas should be one wavelength apart at the lowest frequency, or more, so I would say Keep the top of the reflectors at least two feet apart. That doesnt always work because mine are 5 ft apart and interact a little if I rotate the top one while watching the bottom one which is below the rotor. Just have to play a little, thats half the fun (yea right).

If you already have the big antenna, dont worry about the test, just slap the monster up there and see what happens. If you dont get anything, PM me, and maybe I can help you out.

post #1365 of 12528 Old 01-12-2006, 06:20 AM

I just found out that Comcast has put up PBS-HD on channel 240 in advance of their February realignment of channels. Looks like a pretty good libary of HD. Has all the NOVA programs that DiscoveryHD doesn't get. Don'tcha just love them penguins?

The regular AETN signal on channel 190 has never worked in HD. Whenever I've watched it breaks up or freezes. The audio comes through. Maybe a bandwidth problem or just a weak signal. I can't pull them off air due to the "25-watt" transmitted power and the fact I don't have a VHF antenna hooked up. I heard that AETN said they would work with Comcast to rectify the problem. I hate to miss the quarterly beg-a-thons. (Oh, nevermind-they do those in SD which is fine)
post #1366 of 12528 Old 01-12-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

wxguy, this may or may not be related to the cable problems, but I've noticed similar issues with AETN-DT OTA. I seems to only happen when they switch the multicasting back on after showing something in HD. The picture will freeze and start flashing, like it's jumping between two frames, but the audio will continue. Last night the top left corner of the screen had the 2-1 picture, but the other 3/4 of the screen was flashing. It's pretty weird, but like I said, everytime I have seen it, it happened as they were coming out of HD and going back to SD.

Rocky
post #1367 of 12528 Old 01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Rocky,

Last night after *attempting* to pull in Lost from a neighboring market w/o success, decided to catch Walking The Bible on AETN. The image when first tuned in resembled the "squeseed" old Cinemascope movies shown on TV in my childhood. Then remembered to change the channel again, and after that the "normal" aspect ratio matched my TV. However when the regular AETN feed resumed, the picture was "stretched" until changing the channel and returning. Good to see actual HD programming on AETN, despite the network's poor choice of channel (frequency) for HD/DTV.

H.

post #1368 of 12528 Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

They seem pretty intent on not letting us get rid of those big antennas. FCC should have just done away with both VHF bands for digital.

post #1369 of 12528 Old 01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that was the original plan, but lobbying from the local stations and the NAB fearing "lack" of coverage caused VHF to be reinstated.

post #1370 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, considering their output power and distance, I am quite surprised at how well I receive PBS on digital channel 5, considering both 2 and 4 have quite a bit of noise in their picture. The only time I ever experience any breakup in their picture or sound is during a thunderstorm, or when I turn on the bathroom light switch. Otherwise, their signal comes in about ~85 during the day, and 100 at night when the tropo conditions improve.. Still, given the same location, channel 22 stays pegged at 100, and doesnt glitch during storms.

post #1371 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

KETS is dumping lowband VHF in the second round of channel selections. If approved, it appears they will end up on channel 7 or channel 10. Info here.
post #1372 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

KETS-DT is the third strongest signal (behind KASN, and KTHV) locally (for me) of the digitals. I've noticed that during low humidity levels when the 2, and 4 analogs have severe sparklies that KETS has audio/video dropouts and pixelization. This also occurs when switching lights on and off, etc.

post #1373 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

KETS is dumping lowband VHF in the second round of channel selections. If approved, it appears they will end up on channel 7 or channel 10. Info here.

That selection makes sense when you consider all they have to do is run their digital encoder output across the way to the current Channel 7 transmitter. KATV donates the transmitter to them for a big tax writeoff and everybody wins except the viewers who have to watch a substandard digital picture.

Actually the picture off VHF CH12 is pretty decent when I pull it offair. And that's using a UHF antenna. I don't know if I could pull it off a channel 7 frequency with the same arrangement, but if they get the Comcast problem fixed I wouldn't have to worry. Maybe a tornado will take out their antenna and transmitter building soon and everyone will move to Shinall Mtn to solve a lot of offair viewing problems.
post #1374 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not seeing the PBS-HD channel 24/7 on the AETN ota channels. This must be something Comcast has set up in cooperation with AETN on a temporary basis. The HD programming is taken from the PBS HD feed, but about only one show per week is showing up.

Any word on KWBF's plans or is it just vaporware.

H.

post #1375 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 12:04 PM

Now that the NFL for '06 and PGA tour '07 are going to be on NBC (KARK), what's the word when they will go HD? I didn't really think I was missing out on much not having them in HD, but now I'm starting to get a little ticked.
post #1376 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the latest I've heard, and has been reported here, is that they should up their power and add HD sometime this month. Of course, even as optimistic as I try to be, I really have an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude toward KARK. Hopefully, they'll at least be going by the Olympics. Keep an eye on this thread, I'm sure it will be the first place to report any changes.

Rocky
post #1377 of 12528 Old 01-13-2006, 01:34 PM

They are beginnning their installation now. It takes more than a month to do the work that they need to get done. The weather may determine how quickly the work moves forward.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1378 of 12528 Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA View Post

I'm not seeing the PBS-HD channel 24/7 on the AETN ota channels. This must be something Comcast has set up in cooperation with AETN on a temporary basis.
H.

The PBS-HD on Comcast is a permanent full time channel. Might be on one of the dish feeds as well. AETN only carries select HD programs and infrequently they coinicide with the PBS-HD feed. You'll never see a 24/7 HD feed ota from AETN. They are committed to keeping 4 separate program streams in SD going probably 90% of the time. BTW, Comcast is carrying all 4 ota channels--Three of them go black when AETN goes to HD. (That was a national agreement Comcast signed with PBS some few months ago-I saw it online or in the Dem-Gaz)
post #1379 of 12528 Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 AM

This Sunday while trying to record the football game on Fox I was having issues getting a lock on a signal through my HR10-250 DirecTV TiVo receiver. I was able to switch over to my TV's tuner and get a good lock (in real-time with all of the commercials - yuck). This is the first time since I had gotten my antenna up a few months back that I have had a problem with Fox.

Was there any problems on the broadcast side due to all of the rain/storms in the area?

Is rain fade like I experience sometimes with satellite reception a similar occurance for ATSC broadcasts? It has been so dry lately, this might be the first time I have tried to watch something OTA since I went digital.
post #1380 of 12528 Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

JParry,

I've found that heavy rain between the transmitter and my location tends to attenuate DTV signals. Had several dropouts during CBS's coverage and FOX's. However, attempted to watch the NBA game on ABC (KATV-DT), and was unable to keep a lock, and this was occuring at 8pm when i tried to watch Despirate Housewives in HD. Had to switch to the SD sat feed.

H.

near Star City

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page