Little Rock, AR - HDTV - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 12515 Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, There is to much at stake in branding and everything else for a television station. Whether or not the FCC will change it after the transition, I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alison, I hope you don't mind the extra comments on my part.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 12515 Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan'sHiPix View Post

Yes, There is to much at stake in branding and everything else for a television station. Whether or not the FCC will change it after the transition, I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alison, I hope you don't mind the extra comments on my part.

Dan,
Be my guest!

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1533 of 12515 Old 03-16-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info, Dan, I didn't realize it was an FCC reg, but that was exactly the point I was trying to stress a few days ago.

Rocky
post #1534 of 12515 Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

alison,
In KTHV's situation, I dont see a problem. But when the station has a lowband VHF analog & UHF digital, I think the station should use the real channel number post-transition. It's not fair to the consumer trying to figure out what kind of antenna to buy. Example in post #9 of this thread.

The consumer will not have a problem with antennae when alalog shuts down. The new channels will be the only ones available. Channel 11 will no longer exist, 4 will no longer exist, etc. Whether or not it happens (branding) is probably according to how much money the NAB can pump into the FCC between now and then.
post #1535 of 12515 Old 03-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Congradulations KTHV on the Dolby Digital sound, 5.1 I just noticed it today watching the NCAA tourney.

One problem though... about every 5 minutes, i get a slight pause where the sound goes dead for about 0.5 of a second, but the picture is unaffected. My signal strength is strong and steady though. I did not have this problem at all previous to the DD 5.1 sound implementation.

I have no problems with this same kind of sound skipping on Fox, or NBC (both of which are also DD 5.1 now).

Azanon
post #1536 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

For those Razorback fans talking about the Good Old Days In Dallas, its more of a throwback than us HDTV viewers want : The Dallas NCAA tournement games are NOT in HD. You will need to go to the D* or E* locals, analog cable, or analog OTA .

At least locally, the HD games are being shown though on 11-1, The night's last game, Kentucky v. UAB will be shown for the masses on 11-0 as well as 11-1 as its the designated "local" game. Maybe CBS will get ALL the tournment in HDTV next year.

post #1537 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon View Post

Congradulations KTHV on the Dolby Digital sound, 5.1 I just noticed it today watching the NCAA tourney.

One problem though... about every 5 minutes, i get a slight pause where the sound goes dead for about 0.5 of a second, but the picture is unaffected. My signal strength is strong and steady though. I did not have this problem at all previous to the DD 5.1 sound implementation.

I have no problems with this same kind of sound skipping on Fox, or NBC (both of which are also DD 5.1 now).

Azanon

Thanks for the information. This is a fresh installation and we haven't gotten through all of the issues with the system yet. I appreciate the feedback.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1538 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 03:09 PM

At 3:36 pm CST KARK began broadcasting Full Power HD
post #1539 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks RF Monkey.

Any idea when Nexstar will begin their HD upgrade for NBC KNWA in NW Arkansas?
post #1540 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 03:44 PM

KNWA's programing originates from the Little Rock hub. The terminal gear is in house, but still in the box. The time frame for the HD transmitter buildout, I have not heard .
post #1541 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Monkey View Post

Works great! In Hot Springs Village, 48 miles away using a lowly Winegard Amplified Sensar III antenna, my SNR is now 25 compared to a marginal 15 before on a Sony HD DVR. I'm at about 1150 ft. but with a slight hill with some trees close by in the direction of the KARK antenna.
post #1542 of 12515 Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About time you guys joined the party

I didn't realize there were a change until a while ago. Too busy with the NCAA BB tourney. Sure looks better than the E* local feed, and the static-filled analog here in Star City.

Antenna: CM 4228 @ 17ft w/ CM 3041 preamp.
RX: E* 811 and RS Accurian STB into a Panasonic CT26WX15

post #1543 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

KNWA's programing originates from the Little Rock hub. The terminal gear is in house, but still in the box. The time frame for the HD transmitter buildout, I have not heard .

Thanks for that info RF!

Everyone up here in NWA is really fed up with Nexstar's feet dragging....
post #1544 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that info RF!

Everyone up here in NWA is really fed up with Nexstar's feet dragging....

If you have satellite service and the HD package with that satellite provider you should apply for a waiver to receive the stations out of New York such as WNBC, WCBS, WABC. I believe that if that is the only way you can receive HD broadcasts in your area, the station(s) is (are) required to give you a waiver since that waiver is the only means that you have of viewing HD programming from those networks and you can't receive a decent signal off the air from that station. At this time, there are no local station HD broadcasts being provided in the Little Rock or Fort Smith areas by any satellite company. The local stations and network affiliates, in effect, are preventing you from viewing programs that you can only get thru your satellite provider. Services to which you may be entitled under the Arkansas Consumer Protection Act. This will apply only if you can't receive the local station's HD broadcast off the air.
post #1545 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the information. This is a fresh installation and we haven't gotten through all of the issues with the system yet. I appreciate the feedback.

Alison,
I isolated the problem to my antenna. I have a relatively new antenna setup, but i hooked up my old indoor antenna and i'm having no problems with digital KTHV with it.

Azanon
post #1546 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelElDel View Post

If you have satellite service and the HD package with that satellite provider you should apply for a waiver to receive the stations out of New York such as WNBC, WCBS, WABC.[/b]

It's easier to just "move" your service address to a town with no Grade B reception of any OTA TV, then you're auto-qualified for WABC-DT, WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT & WNYW-DT out of New York. Those HD channels are free on DirecTV if your service address qualifies and you have the HD package.
post #1547 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:

It's easier to just "move" your service address to a town with no Grade B reception of any OTA TV, then you're auto-qualified for WABC-DT, WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT & WNYW-DT out of New York. Those HD channels are free on DirecTV if your service address qualifies and you have the HD package.

Yes, they are free and are great to have. The switching is as good as it gets at those stations. But, if you lie to your satellite provider about your service location(and you would have to in order to "move" your service) they could and would terminate your service and they have ways of finding out exactly where your service is such as where your phone line is connected (area code) for your TIVO sevice among others. A person does not have to have the Tivo service but I cannot imagine why not. The satellite companies are delighted to furnish you the service.

The local stations don't want to approve the waivers for fear it would diminish their prime-time viewers but you see promos and PSA's running in news blocks and prime-time in the Little Rock market and that ain't good for revenue.
post #1548 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelElDel View Post

Yes, they are free and are great to have. The switching is as good as it gets at those stations. But, if you lie to your satellite provider about your service location(and you would have to in order to "move" your service) they could and would terminate your service and they have ways of finding out exactly where your service is such as where your phone line is connected (area code) for your TIVO sevice among others. A person does not have to have the Tivo service but I cannot imagine why not. The satellite companies are delighted to furnish you the service.

Yes, they could terminate your service, but they don't care and don't check. All they care about is a paying customer and that everything is ok on paper.

D* does not match area codes or prefixes to an address . And if you have VOIP, you can get a phone number from anywhere in the country, so there's no way to match that data any more. I prefer to keep the phone modem unplugged, due to lots of lightning where I live. I've had boxes fried through the phone modem (yes, the line was connected to surge protection).

I prefer to watch network HD OTA, since it's 1920x1080i, and the networks on D* are only 1280x1080i and don't look as good if you have a really good big screen HDTV. But if the local isn't receivable for one reason or another, I have a backup.
post #1549 of 12515 Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM

Well, anyway you can get it, it is great. KARK's going full power pushed me up to the max on my meter and the others are above 95, but my receiver has a limiter and is not linear. The larger the screen, the more space betweens the lines.
post #1550 of 12515 Old 03-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon View Post

Alison,
I isolated the problem to my antenna. I have a relatively new antenna setup, but i hooked up my old indoor antenna and i'm having no problems with digital KTHV with it.

Azanon

Azanon,
Glad to hear your problem was corrected. We have had no other complaints at this point, so hopefully things are okay for now.

Alison Fletcher
Director of Technology
Today's THV
post #1551 of 12515 Old 03-21-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ults&text=kthv

Here is an article from Broadcasting and Cable about the Little Rock market. Not alot of HD news, but a little about THV2 and other multicasting possibilities.

Rocky
post #1552 of 12515 Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 AM

Glad they finally got full power up. I am pulling it in here in Arkadelphia with a signal strength of 88. Now I can't wait for Las Vegas in HD, and wouldn't ya know it...it's not on tomorrow night.
post #1553 of 12515 Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Have found the problem, but recent rains, and family concerns have delalyed it until yesterday. The 300 ohm twin feed from the 4228 to the 3041 preamp came loose with the wind. (the vhf antenna's lead was unaffected, as I was still seeing KTHV and KETS) Decided to nip that problem in the bud.

Replaced the preamp (it still works, and will go on another installation) with a CM 7777.

No more twin lead harnesses to break with the wind, plus getting to see how directional the 4228 is.

BTW, comparing apples to apples, KARK's signal levels seem to be 3-4 % lower than KLRT. Due likely to KARK's DT antenna located below KTHV's and KARK's analog.

post #1554 of 12515 Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Not really an HDTV topic, but... Is it my monitors analog settings, or what here? Ch 42 (analog, antenna) appears to be way overbright, with low color levels. The other analog stations appear ok, although I watch the digital versions. Is it a reception problem, or do they not know how to adjust their video output at ch42? I was going to watch mash tonight, but the video was so horrendous, I just turned it off.

post #1555 of 12515 Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I think its on their end, you should get a good analog signal from there. PQ is one of the *least* of "WB42's" problems...God help us if those guys get the CW affliation. BTW, I only get a very snowy analog pic from 42 here, but watch very occatiionlly on E*.

H.

post #1556 of 12515 Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Davenlr,

KWBF 42 analog on DirecTV looks the same as you described. It's overly bright and hardly any color saturation. But KWBF's sista station, KWFT analog 34 out of Eureka Springs, looks very good OTA here.
post #1557 of 12515 Old 03-24-2006, 07:51 AM

KWBF has a problem with low chroma and lack of setup pertaining the black level. I never watch it. I don't know why the FCC would allow them to continue to transmit such a poor quality picture, then again I do.
post #1558 of 12515 Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Send KWBF 42 complaints to

(CEO) lmorton@ebcorp.net
(dir. tech operations) arothberg@ebcorp.net
(dir. public relations) dkrile@ebcorp.net
post #1559 of 12515 Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone else has already confirmed the answer, but I've got to gripe about 42's setups as well. I have worked in Master Control before, and it's not that hard to set levels to broadcast specs, but they can never get it right.

Rocky
post #1560 of 12515 Old 03-25-2006, 03:23 PM

I've got sort of a unique situation. I'm temporarily displaced from New Orleans and living in a corporate apartment in the Little Rock area near Otter Creek. I have basic Comcast cable service, but digital/HD cable is not an option for me, since I'm not paying for the service. An outside antenna is also not an option for me. My only options seem to be an indoor antenna or a QAM tuner (assuming the local channels are unencrypted over basic cable). Are all of the locals available via QAM tuner? If not, is an indoor antenna good enough in my area to receive most or all of the local digital broadcasts? I've been reading about most of the locals now transmitting at full signal strenght. Any suggestions about where I could get a TV with good ATSC/QAM tuner built-in? How about a local place to get a good indoor antenna? Any help is appreciated.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page