Any OTA Stations Broadcast in 480p ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Any OTA Stations Broadcast in 480p ?

Since all modern TV displays are nativley "p", and any older CRT's using OTA have a converter box, wouldn't in make sense for SD channels and/or subchannels to broadcast in 480p instead of 480i?
That should be marginally "better" quality, without needing much if any more bandwidth...
I am now seeing many movies and shows on SD subchannels being shown in 480i widescreen, instead of 480p widescreen...
Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 11-10-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Doesn't progressive require about twice the bandwidth since all lines are being scanned per field instead of every other line? (480p60 = scanning all 480 or so lines per 1/60th of a second; 480i60 = scanning 240 or so odd-numbered lines for the first 1/60th of a second, followed by scanning 240 or so even-numbered lines for the second 1/60th of a second, and continuing flip-flopping between even and odd lines.)

I would like to see more of the SD channels go to 16:9, but it seems that too many movies that would benefit from 16:9 are center-cut (e.g., multicast network THiS TV) or letterboxed into 4:3 display area so they appear as "windowframed" or "postage stamp" on the 16:9 TV (such as the various SD movie channels since, at least locally, several premium movie channels have 1 to 3 HD feeds on Comcast and the other feeds are SD, and also the PBS station letterboxes their second stream of programming into 4:3.).

What I don't know is if the bottom-of-the-line SD DTA for cable systems can take an SD 16:9 signal and either letterbox or pan-and-scan for its NTSC (4:3) output on channel 3 or 4, or be able to interlace an ED (480p) signal for NTSC. Since most over-the-air broadcasts are viewed through cable/satellite services, and many customers have decided to go with just minimal SD service for at least one of their TVs, this probably has a bearing on what formats a TV station chooses to broadcast.

We tend to forget that we are not representative of the TV viewing public at large, but rather we are a self-selective group that, on average, desire better picture and sound than the average viewing public and, to a degree, willing to pay more for a better experience.

(My cable experience has been with analog cable, and then I jumped to HD service with a HD DVR when Comcast killed the analog feeds, so I don't know the limitations of DTAs from personal experience.)

My very humble setup:
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page