HDTV in Central Wisconsin - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-29-2003, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going this weekend to get my STB to start receiving DTV in Wis Rapids, is there anyone out there who lives near me. I have been talking with channel 9 in Wausau (ABC) with great communication but have yet to see how the picture looks. My only other option looks like channel 13 (NBC) from Eau Claire, Green Bay might work but could be hard to get.

I'm going to look around in Madison for a open box STB or Direct TV without the card. Is there a brand or model i should avoid or what is the best one for a low price. I'm only looking to spend a few hundred dollar. BTW this is going to be used with my Mits 55819.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-30-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump
post #3 of 19 Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump
post #4 of 19 Old 02-07-2003, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2003, 01:21 PM

lovebohn, I live south of Madison, but I also have a 55819, and I am using a RCA DTC-100 that I got at American in Madison without a card. It requires a cable to interface to the Mits 55819. I got the DTC-100 with the cable for $300 a year or so ago. It was a floor model in their used and demo area. I have seen some Samsung boxes there that were reasonable in price for OTA only. Also, I picked up a demo Panasonic TU-DST50 at Circuit city for less than $300. Both have worked well for me. Allen A
post #6 of 19 Old 02-11-2003, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Allen A,

I did find a DTC-100 at American West w/o the card. I got it for $200 with a 3 year warranty and two of the RGB to BNC cables. So far i have had good luck but need to get a good antenna. I only have two stations in my area right now. Wausau which i can receive very well but Eau Claire is a long shot without a big antenna and tall mast. Did you have to change anything with your TV to get better picture?

Dave
post #7 of 19 Old 02-11-2003, 07:36 AM

Dave, I don't remember changing anything other than the usual convergence and color adjustments. I did have to change the DTC-100 retrace timing settings. As it came to me, the screen was not aligned, and the colors were fuzzy. Also, the DTC-100 I had was not used on satellite by the store, so the software was old. Hooking it up to the satellite downloaded the upgrade, and that eliminated some problems. If you go to the HT Spot (www.***************.com) and do a search for DTC-100 there is a wealth of information and suggestions there. It sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the DTC-100 with the cable. I don't know if you intend to use it with DirecTV. I called them to get an access card, and they seemed very suspicious about getting it without a card or contract requirement. They wanted all the details about where I bought it etc. I told them that it indeed was a floor model, and was sold as used. They sent me a card for $20. On the forums, there was discussion as to whether American was legit in selling it that way. Later, a sales person for American posted an explanation that the access cards they use are a special half-length card that doesn't protrude, and is not easily stolen. He says that they keep those cards for internal use, and never sell them with a system. That seemed to settle the issue, so you should not have a problem if you do need to buy an access card. Al
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2003, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, i'm not going to use it for direct tv, i might even have an old HU card at home from when i did use my old Sony for Direct TV.

Dave
post #9 of 19 Old 09-05-2003, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to post I now have PBS and ABC running in my area. We are still waiting for CBS to get going but i have had good luck talking with the engineers from all stations. Who knows when Fox will get with the program.......I'm sure not in time for the Packer games. Has anyone around me picked up NBC channel 13 from Eau Claire?
post #10 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another update:

Channel 7 CBS (40-1) will be going digital on Sept 22 as per a letter directly from them. Now all we need to Fox to get going.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-19-2003, 07:18 AM

I live in Eau Claire and currently we have weau tv 13 NBC in digital, wqoq tv 18 ABC in digital and a PBS station out of Menomonie in digital. I am considering upgrading to a better antenna to get CBS out of La Crosse, but am not sure if I would be able to receive it cuz of the distance. The transmitter is about 60 miles from me. If your interested in checking out tv transmitter sites and distances from you try some of these links:

http://www.titantv.com/TTV/RetailZon...asp?pid=Zenith

http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/LSE.html
post #12 of 19 Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try a new antenna this weekend to get WEAU in. If you do a search i think there has been people talking about the La Crosse stations. I may have a CM 4221 antenna for you if you want to try that route.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-22-2003, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The letter was correct with CBS going digital today, but i don't think they were broadcasting in HD. I watched the shows that should have been equal to MNF and it seemed like it was not 1080i. The only thing was the picture was stretched to fit my widescreen tv do other stations stretch their SD programs to fill the screen?
post #14 of 19 Old 09-23-2003, 05:27 PM

I sent 3 emails. 2 to the Eau Claire tv stations to see if they can pull in the LaCrosse CBS station out of galesville, and 1 to the LaCrosse CBS Station to see what there thoughts were on me receiving their signal in Eau Claire. Here are there responses:

WEAU-TV 13 Eau Claire NBC
Joe,

We have not been able to receive WKBT-DT. They are transmitting low power and even with a 50ft tower and rotor I cannot receive them. I was able to receive the public station's digital from Lacrosse.

Ron Wiedemeier
Chief Engineer
WEAU-TV

WQOW TV 18 Eau Claire ABC
Yes we do pick up the digital channel 41 signal (CBS) here at the studio. We have 150 foot tower and a parabolic antenna with a pre-amp and we pick up channel 41 (from Galesville), channel 14 (ABC from La Crescent), and channel 30 (PBS from La Crescent). They are all running about 15 kw power output right now, so they are not very strong. How good is your over the air reception of channel 8? If you get that signal really well, it might work.

Dave White

WKBT CBS LaCrosse:
With our current antenna and transmitting power from Galesville it might be difficult to receive our digital signal. At the WQOW studio there are able to watch us but they have a gain antenna on a 60 ft tower. I can't give you a date as to when we will increase the power to cover the Eau Claire area.

Sincerely,

Dick Konrad
CE WKBT
post #15 of 19 Old 09-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I live in Onalaska about 15 mi. from Galesville. I can not get the WKBT digital signal. They are at only 10kw, I have a small hill between me and the transmitter. But 10kw is pretty pathetic when they are licensed for 1000kw.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-24-2003, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How much power is WEAU Channel 13 broadcasting at?

Are they passing on a true HD image when shows like Jay Leno are on?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-24-2003, 03:18 PM

Hello Fellas...

Asking about local FOX HDTV and their plan, the local engineer in Madison WI emailed me the following:

"Hi Tom,

Next fall (04) Fox will transition to the 720p high definition format.
WMSN will install equipment necessary to pass-thru that signal to the dtv viewers. That equipment has not been selected or ordered at this point. Corporate ownership hasn't given me a timeline, but if I were to guess I would say second quarter of next year. We currently are upconverting our analog signal and sending that over our DTV Channel 11, or your tuner will see it as 47-1. At this point I don't believe there are any agreements in place to have cable or satellite providers carry our DTV signal. I will let our MIS person know about your inability to access our website feedback.

Sincerely,
--

Kerry Maki
Chief Engineer
WMSN-TV/DT FOX 47
Madison, WI 53719"

Currently, Madison WI. stations provides good signals from all networks (except FOX) to me over in Prairie du Sac WI.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-25-2003, 09:12 PM

Are you trying the actual digital channel number? I believe CBS out of La Crosse is channel 41. Tv 13 eau claire is 39 and wqoq 18 eau claire is 15.
I am not sure how much power they are putting out, and yes anything that nbc or abc broadcasts in HD they are showing in HD.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-26-2003, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was lucky yesterday when i installed a CM 7777 pre-amp i can get NBC 39 now from Eau Claire and still the Wausau stations with my one antenna facing toward Eau Claire. I was not that impressed with NBC. I watched ER and it seemed like the feed was not in HD. I would switch back to PBS and felt there was a difference in picture quality. I still think MNF is by far the best.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page