Charleston, SC - HDTV - Page 264 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7891 of 7911 Old 09-27-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Try studying up on QAM channels. They can come, go and change frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 7911 Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a new twist to the chaos.

I was watching the end of the Eagles vs. 49ers game on Fox HD. I had The Simpsons, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and the one-hour Family Guy (because it was going to be a Simpsons special) set to record. I stayed on the channel and watched the Simpsons episode along with the Brooklyn Nine-Nine episode, but then stopped playback because I planned to watch the recorded Family Guy episode tomorrow. When I checked the recording of Family Guy, the channel reverted back to "this TV". I wanted to see what the channel looked like when it made the switch so I went to my Brooklyn Nine-Nine recording and that entire recording was of "this TV". Same with The Simpsons.

How is it possible that I actually watched Fox HD but the show that was recorded on what is supposedly the same station "this TV"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Try studying up on QAM channels. They can come, go and change frequently.
I understand that these stations can change, but are my symptoms reflective of common QAM activities? Where I can get Fox HD only if I stop scanning for channels mid-scan but then it will randomly recognize it as a completely different station sometime later in the day? I get all of my local HD stations except for Fox (which randomly went out), then when I do a rescan to try and fix the problem, the only local HD station that comes in is Fox and that's only if I do what is said above?

Last edited by RUsum1; 09-28-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #7893 of 7911 Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be scrambled channel.
post #7894 of 7911 Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
According to the FCC database, WCIV and WMMP - effective today - have swapped callsigns. WCIV is now transmitting on ch 36 - virtual ch 36; WMMP is now transmitting on ch 34 - virtual ch 4. Again, all of this is currently in the FCC database. Wish I lived in the Charleston area - can anyone investigate and see what any discreet or almost hidden station IDs are saying? From checking out these stations' websites and FB pages, it's "business as usual" and apparently the change today is going to be virtually transparent to the viewer.

Eric

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #7895 of 7911 Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
WCIV changes:

MyNetworkTV is on channel 36.1 (in HD!)
ABC (ABC News 4) is on channel 36.2 (in HD!)
MeTV is on channel 36.3 (in SD)

Folks who have cable or satellite remains unchanged! Which means like those having DIRECTV for example you can still see WCIV on channel 4 for ABC programming and MyNetworkTV programs still on channel 36.

Confused?

It takes time to get used to the new position for those who rely on over-the-air antennas in the Lowcountry.

Spencer Karter

My Christmas Wish List: SLINGBOX M1
post #7896 of 7911 Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
WCIV changes:

MyNetworkTV is on channel 36.1 (in HD!)
ABC (ABC News 4) is on channel 36.2 (in HD!)
MeTV is on channel 36.3 (in SD)

Folks who have cable or satellite remains unchanged! Which means like those having DIRECTV for example you can still see WCIV on channel 4 for ABC programming and MyNetworkTV programs still on channel 36.

Confused?

It takes time to get used to the new position for those who rely on over-the-air antennas in the Lowcountry.
Well those three stations show up as if they are WMMP 1, 2, & 3 but all have the lock icon next to them.
post #7897 of 7911 Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM

I finally got around to connecting my coax directly to my TV and scanning those channels and I get every station I'm supposed when doing that so the problem has to be with WMC or my HDHRP. How can I fix this?
post #7898 of 7911 Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

what is HDHRP?
post #7899 of 7911 Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
My guess: HDHomeRun Prime.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7900 of 7911 Old 10-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUsum1 View Post
Well those three stations show up as if they are WMMP 1, 2, & 3 but all have the lock icon next to them.
For those individuals with a TiVo, the WCIV channel switch has got the channel listing for channels 208 and 431 on Comcast switched. I've sent a problem report today.
post #7901 of 7911 Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know when ABC will move to .1, MY to .2....and the bug on .3 to reflect .3?

Also, anyone plan on bringing back a weather channel? 2.3 seems ideal, after viewing 3.3 in Savannah (also Media General).
post #7902 of 7911 Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 AM

Does anybody use Slingbox in Charleston, SC?

Spencer Karter

post #7903 of 7911 Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate31410 View Post
Anyone know when ABC will move to .1, MY to .2....and the bug on .3 to reflect .3?

Also, anyone plan on bringing back a weather channel? 2.3 seems ideal, after viewing 3.3 in Savannah (also Media General).

Gotta love the legendary Rob Fowler on WCBD 2.

BTW, I prefer Charleston, SC over Savannah, GA because it's more historic.

I always wanted a Slingbox M1 (cost $150) for Christmas, so I could ask one of my FB friends who lives in the Lowcountry to use my Slingbox on their receiver so I could watch the live TV Charleston style.

Do Charleston, SC DirecTV lineup have HD locals only or both HD and SD?

I know it's

2 WCBD
3 CW (WCBD 2.2)
4 WCIVDT (Channel 36.2)
5 WCSC
7 ETV
24 WTAT
36 WCIV (Channel 36.1)

Spencer Karter

post #7904 of 7911 Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
CBS sound

We live in the northern part of Georgetown County and TW has decreed that we get the Charleston stations as our local TV stations. The sound on the CBS station has always been horrible, most of the time we need to caption the shows. Last night I was watching the FB game on CBS and could barely understand the announcers. I switched over to the NFL network with the same announcers and the sound was wonderful. Watch the game there and did not see any local ads for stuff that is 80 miles from where I live. We have the same problem with NBC with the channel blackout.
post #7905 of 7911 Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
We live in the northern part of Georgetown County and TW has decreed that we get the Charleston stations as our local TV stations. The sound on the CBS station has always been horrible, most of the time we need to caption the shows. Last night I was watching the FB game on CBS and could barely understand the announcers. I switched over to the NFL network with the same announcers and the sound was wonderful. Watch the game there and did not see any local ads for stuff that is 80 miles from where I live. We have the same problem with NBC with the channel blackout.
The controversial EXCLUSIVITY RULES (Network Non-Duplication, Syndicated Exclusivity) thing?

Spencer Karter

post #7906 of 7911 Old 10-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Charleston stations as our local stations in northernmost Georgetown County

The real problem comes from the Nielsen rating system. They define a DMA and basically say what station cover that area. They have decreed Georgetown County to be a part of the Charleston DMA. Our county is very long and narrow but it still means that I live about 10 miles from all the Myrtle Beach stuff but cannot see the TV stations except in non-HD very crappy reception almost unwatchable or the local station is blocked out. I have talked to Nielsen and they say this cannot be changed. We will keep working on this! This is the short version of this problem
post #7907 of 7911 Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
The real problem comes from the Nielsen rating system. They define a DMA and basically say what station cover that area. They have decreed Georgetown County to be a part of the Charleston DMA. Our county is very long and narrow but it still means that I live about 10 miles from all the Myrtle Beach stuff but cannot see the TV stations except in non-HD very crappy reception almost unwatchable or the local station is blocked out. I have talked to Nielsen and they say this cannot be changed. We will keep working on this! This is the short version of this problem
I agree that Nielsen DMA system is totally outdated and antiquated. But fortunately, you get your in-state news, weather and sports. Here in Greenwood, SC (which is in Greenville, SC DMA) our market is split-state (South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia) and they tell mostly South Carolina news, North Carolina news, and less Georgia news. I know the system is broken. I've heard of the Orphan County issue, since this isn't the case.

For those have DIRECTV noticed the listings for WCIV 4 (ABC) are listed programs by Zuus Country not ABC. I've mentioned to them on Twitter, ABC News 4 (channel 36.2 OTA) replied said it's DirecTV fault not correcting the listings. I've told them nicely thanks for the reply.

Since WCIV and my local ABC station WLOS are now sister stations.

I wish I had a Slingbox so I could ask someone like my FB friends to use my SB to watch Lowcountry Television news.

I've watched WCBD, WCSC, and WCIV newscasts online (different than watching it from TV) and unfortunately WCSC doesn't show sports segments on 6 and 11pm newscasts online because of rights nonsense.

I wish WCBD, WCIV, and WCSC do 4:30am newscast in Charleston, SC like the big 3 stations in Greenville, SC does.

Does anybody in Charleston, SC and vicinity uses the Slingbox? http://www.slingbox.com

Spencer Karter

post #7908 of 7911 Old 11-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

What channels are what?

We live in the northern end of Georgetown county and have to have the Charleston network stations as our prime stations. That is "changing" but what is happening makes no real sense.

ABC is now the Myrtle Beach station is HD and the Charleston station is non-HD.

NBC is now the Charleston station is HD and the Myrtle Beach station is non-HD, it used to be blocked unless it was showing a non NBC show.

CBS is now Charleston station in HD and the Myrtle Beach station is non-HD

FOX is the Myrtle Beach station is HD and the Charleston station is non-HD

Why can't we just have all the Myrtle Beach stations in HD and do what you want with the Charleston stations? The FCC says TWC must carry the Charleston stations but can also carry the Myrtle Beach stations.

We live about 10 miles from Myrtle Beach and about 80 miles from Charleston but only see local stuff on a few channels.
post #7909 of 7911 Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 AM

UPDATE

As of yesterday morning, the DIRECTV listings for WCIV ABC News 4 (channel 36.2 over the air) finally been corrected!

Spencer Karter

post #7910 of 7911 Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't cable companies suppose to pass the local stations through their cable free and clear? My pc is down on one tv so I went to watch the local via the tv's built in tuner and couldn't get a station. After re - scanning all I got was one Comcast channel talking about recent changes encrypting stations. What the heck is that about?
post #7911 of 7911 Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Lancer, there was an FCC ruling which allows Comcast to encrypt even the basic OTA channels. They just made the switch here in Charleston recently, as far as I'm aware. Ran into the same problem myself. Their basic (no-fee) box doesn't output HD and is therefore worthless. Really frustrating. So I bought a small $30 antenna to get the OTA HD signals again.

My one question for anyone is if others are seeing a jerky or stuttering picture on WCIV channels 36.1 and 36.2?

I don't think its the antenna as I get a perfect picture on all other channels. Plus I know I've seen this exactly issue with WCIV before on the QAM channel over the cable before it was encrypted. Just want to see if others can verify the same problem or if WCIV has confirmed any issue with their OTA broadcast. Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception