1Likes

post #7891 of 7913 Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
CBS sound

We live in the northern part of Georgetown County and TW has decreed that we get the Charleston stations as our local TV stations. The sound on the CBS station has always been horrible, most of the time we need to caption the shows. Last night I was watching the FB game on CBS and could barely understand the announcers. I switched over to the NFL network with the same announcers and the sound was wonderful. Watch the game there and did not see any local ads for stuff that is 80 miles from where I live. We have the same problem with NBC with the channel blackout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 7913 Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
We live in the northern part of Georgetown County and TW has decreed that we get the Charleston stations as our local TV stations. The sound on the CBS station has always been horrible, most of the time we need to caption the shows. Last night I was watching the FB game on CBS and could barely understand the announcers. I switched over to the NFL network with the same announcers and the sound was wonderful. Watch the game there and did not see any local ads for stuff that is 80 miles from where I live. We have the same problem with NBC with the channel blackout.
The controversial EXCLUSIVITY RULES (Network Non-Duplication, Syndicated Exclusivity) thing?

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #7893 of 7913 Old 10-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Charleston stations as our local stations in northernmost Georgetown County

The real problem comes from the Nielsen rating system. They define a DMA and basically say what station cover that area. They have decreed Georgetown County to be a part of the Charleston DMA. Our county is very long and narrow but it still means that I live about 10 miles from all the Myrtle Beach stuff but cannot see the TV stations except in non-HD very crappy reception almost unwatchable or the local station is blocked out. I have talked to Nielsen and they say this cannot be changed. We will keep working on this! This is the short version of this problem
post #7894 of 7913 Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
The real problem comes from the Nielsen rating system. They define a DMA and basically say what station cover that area. They have decreed Georgetown County to be a part of the Charleston DMA. Our county is very long and narrow but it still means that I live about 10 miles from all the Myrtle Beach stuff but cannot see the TV stations except in non-HD very crappy reception almost unwatchable or the local station is blocked out. I have talked to Nielsen and they say this cannot be changed. We will keep working on this! This is the short version of this problem
I agree that Nielsen DMA system is totally outdated and antiquated. But fortunately, you get your in-state news, weather and sports. Here in Greenwood, SC (which is in Greenville, SC DMA) our market is split-state (South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia) and they tell mostly South Carolina news, North Carolina news, and less Georgia news. I know the system is broken. I've heard of the Orphan County issue, since this isn't the case.

For those have DIRECTV noticed the listings for WCIV 4 (ABC) are listed programs by Zuus Country not ABC. I've mentioned to them on Twitter, ABC News 4 (channel 36.2 OTA) replied said it's DirecTV fault not correcting the listings. I've told them nicely thanks for the reply.

Since WCIV and my local ABC station WLOS are now sister stations.

I wish I had a Slingbox so I could ask someone like my FB friends to use my SB to watch Lowcountry Television news.

I've watched WCBD, WCSC, and WCIV newscasts online (different than watching it from TV) and unfortunately WCSC doesn't show sports segments on 6 and 11pm newscasts online because of rights nonsense.

I wish WCBD, WCIV, and WCSC do 4:30am newscast in Charleston, SC like the big 3 stations in Greenville, SC does.

Does anybody in Charleston, SC and vicinity uses the Slingbox? http://www.slingbox.com

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #7895 of 7913 Old 11-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

What channels are what?

We live in the northern end of Georgetown county and have to have the Charleston network stations as our prime stations. That is "changing" but what is happening makes no real sense.

ABC is now the Myrtle Beach station is HD and the Charleston station is non-HD.

NBC is now the Charleston station is HD and the Myrtle Beach station is non-HD, it used to be blocked unless it was showing a non NBC show.

CBS is now Charleston station in HD and the Myrtle Beach station is non-HD

FOX is the Myrtle Beach station is HD and the Charleston station is non-HD

Why can't we just have all the Myrtle Beach stations in HD and do what you want with the Charleston stations? The FCC says TWC must carry the Charleston stations but can also carry the Myrtle Beach stations.

We live about 10 miles from Myrtle Beach and about 80 miles from Charleston but only see local stuff on a few channels.
post #7896 of 7913 Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 AM

UPDATE

As of yesterday morning, the DIRECTV listings for WCIV ABC News 4 (channel 36.2 over the air) finally been corrected!

Spencer Karter

post #7897 of 7913 Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't cable companies suppose to pass the local stations through their cable free and clear? My pc is down on one tv so I went to watch the local via the tv's built in tuner and couldn't get a station. After re - scanning all I got was one Comcast channel talking about recent changes encrypting stations. What the heck is that about?
post #7898 of 7913 Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lancer, there was an FCC ruling which allows Comcast to encrypt even the basic OTA channels. They just made the switch here in Charleston recently, as far as I'm aware. Ran into the same problem myself. Their basic (no-fee) box doesn't output HD and is therefore worthless. Really frustrating. So I bought a small $30 antenna to get the OTA HD signals again.

My one question for anyone is if others are seeing a jerky or stuttering picture on WCIV channels 36.1 and 36.2?

I don't think its the antenna as I get a perfect picture on all other channels. Plus I know I've seen this exactly issue with WCIV before on the QAM channel over the cable before it was encrypted. Just want to see if others can verify the same problem or if WCIV has confirmed any issue with their OTA broadcast. Thanks.
post #7899 of 7913 Old 12-27-2014, 07:37 AM

To my fellow Lowcountry pals,

I've enjoyed my Christmas. I've finally got Slingbox M1 for Christmas. I've always wanted to watch Charleston, SC television in real time from WCBD 2, WCIV 36.2 (formerly channel 4 OTA), WCSC 5, and WTAT 24 newscasts. I've tried to ask a mutual Facebook friend permission to set up my Slingbox at their house in Charleston, SC. But I've haven't heard back yet. I know WCBD 2 carries Kathie Lee and Hoda's TODAY Show's 4th Hour every morning which my local NBC station WYFF channel 4 in Greenville, SC market does not because they preempted it with Kelly and Michael and delay the 3rd hour aka TODAY's Take to one hour at 10am.

Had you have someone set up a Slingbox at a friend's house or your own? Please reply ASAP!

Spencer Karter

post #7900 of 7913 Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Since Charleston, SC is a much smaller market.

Which digital OTA subchannel you like to see added in the Lowcountry one day?

1.)CoziTV
2.)AntennaTV
3.)Movies!
4.)Spanish
5.)Other

Spencer Karter

post #7901 of 7913 Old 01-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sound issues?

I seem to be having some trouble with receiving sound on some of the main channels (the -1 channels) from time to time. Last night on Undercover Boss (channel 5-1) I lost the sound for the first half of the show and it came on at 8:30 for the second half.
Are the stations having a problem or do I have a TiVo tuner issue?
I am using a TiVo HD and running it through an AVR.
I tried going from Dolby Digital to PCM and it didn't change anything.
The issue only happens on the -1 channels. The -2 and -3 channels seem to have sound all of the time.
It happens live and it records that way as well.

Any ideas?
post #7902 of 7913 Old 01-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bciocco View Post
I seem to be having some trouble with receiving sound on some of the main channels (the -1 channels) from time to time. Last night on Undercover Boss (channel 5-1) I lost the sound for the first half of the show and it came on at 8:30 for the second half.
Are the stations having a problem or do I have a TiVo tuner issue?
I am using a TiVo HD and running it through an AVR.
I tried going from Dolby Digital to PCM and it didn't change anything.
The issue only happens on the -1 channels. The -2 and -3 channels seem to have sound all of the time.
It happens live and it records that way as well.

Any ideas?
What antenna do you currently have at your location?

Spencer Karter

post #7903 of 7913 Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
What antenna do you currently have at your location?
I have an AntennaCraft HUB22 in the attic since 2009. I am ~7 miles from the antenna farm.
The TiVo shows 86-100% on the reception bar.

Next time it happens, I'll switch to TV mode and see if I get sound direct without going through anything else.

Last edited by bciocco; 01-03-2015 at 06:02 PM.
post #7904 of 7913 Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM

It seems to be the TiVo. I did a reset while I was not getting sound and the sound is back. Thanks. Strange to me that it was only the -1 channels. Maybe it has something to do with the HD.
post #7905 of 7913 Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bciocco View Post
It seems to be the TiVo. I did a reset while I was not getting sound and the sound is back. Thanks. Strange to me that it was only the -1 channels. Maybe it has something to do with the HD.

Here in Greenwood, SC I've picked up (via DXing) Charleston, SC stations OTA WCSC 5.1 (CBS), WTAT 24.1 (FOX), and WCIV 36.2 (ABC) (back when it was on 4.1) in 2012. I haven't picked up WCBD 2.1 (NBC) yet. The stations are about 162 miles from where I live.

BTW, I've finally got the Slingbox M1 for Christmas (100% TV Anywhere!) which I'm planning on setting up my Slingbox at a mutual friend's place in Charleston, SC and vicinity if their permission is granted, and they work with cable and satellite providers (including Comcast, TWC, DIRECTV, etc.) and you can set up a Slingbox at your friend's or relatives house besides setting it at your own house. I'm still finding a way my friend. Yes, I'm very interested in watching Charleston, South Carolina local channels in real time. I've got some old high school friends living there now. I've tried asking one of my friends, but unfortunately she's becoming a cord cutter (she was a Comcast subscriber). I do like Bill Walsh on WCSC, Rob Fowler on WCBD, Tom Crawford and Dave Williams on WCIV doing their best...weather! Localism is more important to your state and community rather than watching NYC or Los Angeles feeds on DBS providers which unfortunately never happens.

Here in my market (Greenville, SC) my only complaint, the local NBC station I receive (WYFF 4) does NOT air Today Show's 4th Hour with Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb every morning since they preempted the 4th hour with Kelly and Michael at 9am and delaying the 3rd hour to an hour later at 10am EASTERN! (aka Central Time Zone feed). WCBD does carry KLG & Hoda so as WIS out of Columbia, SC.

How do I find someone like a mutual friend to set up my Slingbox?

Spencer Karter

post #7906 of 7913 Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone else have issues getting FOX and ABC over the air in the past 24 hours in Charleston? I have been getting the stations fine for years, but all of the sudden the stations disappeared as if they stopped broadcasting. I have two different antennas and both get 0 signal for FOX (24.1) and ABC (36.2).
livigator likes this.
post #7907 of 7913 Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbvolpb89 View Post
Anyone else have issues getting FOX and ABC over the air in the past 24 hours in Charleston? I have been getting the stations fine for years, but all of the sudden the stations disappeared as if they stopped broadcasting. I have two different antennas and both get 0 signal for FOX (24.1) and ABC (36.2).
I have basically no OTA signal for 4, 24 or 36. Well 4.1 actually has a crozen image.
post #7908 of 7913 Old 01-04-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatHDTV View Post
I have basically no OTA signal for 4, 24 or 36. Well 4.1 actually has a crozen image.
What location are you at? Summerville, Goose Creek, North Charleston, etc.?

Spencer Karter

post #7909 of 7913 Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
CORRECTION: I've heard that WCIV 36.2 was temporary off the air because of technical issues. I apologize.

Spencer Karter

post #7910 of 7913 Old 01-05-2015, 02:09 PM

Liked: 1
Yeah they all came back late last night. Weird.
post #7911 of 7913 Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Mount Pleasant....I saw on WTAT facebook that they had a problem with their tower. Started working near the end of the game...but had spanish audio.
post #7912 of 7913 Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM

I've got some good news. FOX 24 WTAT and MyTV Charleston (WCIV 36.1 formerly WMMP) are finally broadcasting syndicated shows in HD! Along with ABC News 4 (WCIV 36.2 OTA)!

Spencer Karter

post #7913 of 7913 Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 AM

Anyone have a good list of current ISF calibrators in the Charleston area? Surprisingly I'm not finding much with 'ole Google/Bing.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page