Charleston, SC - HDTV - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7921 of 7939 Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Any Slingbox users in Charleston, SC?

I've finally got the Slingbox M1 for Christmas. The reasons I wanted a Slingbox.
1.)To watch out-of-market locals (news and programming) in real-time from Charleston, SC
2.)Our NBC station in Greenville, SC does not carry the 4th hour of Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda.

I've tried to ask my friends on Facebook to have my permission to set up my Slingbox at their house. One of them wanted to become a cord-cutter, and the others didn't reply. I hate forcing to go into "Last Resort" but I don't want to give up my hopes of watching Lowcountry Television. The Slingbox works well with DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and others. http://www.slingbox.com is the website to check it out!

I've tried to upload old logos for you, but it failed!
Instead I get that pesky broken image icon!!!
EPIC FAIL!
I think the Internet GB requirements ($$) might be more of the problem. Connecting the cables to your Slingbox is simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 7939 Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM

Liked: 0
Thumbs up Slingbox in Charleston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Any Slingbox users in Charleston, SC?

I've finally got the Slingbox M1 for Christmas. The reasons I wanted a Slingbox.
1.)To watch out-of-market locals (news and programming) in real-time from Charleston, SC
2.)Our NBC station in Greenville, SC does not carry the 4th hour of Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda.

I've tried to ask my friends on Facebook to have my permission to set up my Slingbox at their house. One of them wanted to become a cord-cutter, and the others didn't reply. I hate forcing to go into "Last Resort" but I don't want to give up my hopes of watching Lowcountry Television. The Slingbox works well with DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and others.

I've tried to upload old logos for you, but it failed!
Instead I get that pesky broken image icon!!!
EPIC FAIL!
Your cord-cutting friend may be able to help you if you get a used Slingbox Pro-HD (which has a built-in ATSC tuner), or connect an ATSC tuner box to the M1, such as the below which I found on Amazon:

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback (Old Version)

by IVIEW

You connect your friend's antenna to this ATSC tuner (there's a pass-through to the TV), and you connect the tuner to the Slingbox with Component and audio cables, and to the TV with the coax pass-through.

Since there's two separate tuners (one on your friend's TV, and the other on this box) you can be watching different channels simultaneously.

I have a rooftop antenna in Beaufort. Savannah TV comes in fine; the only reliable signals for Charleston these days are WGWG, WTAT, & WCIV, although WCSC & WCBD can be received spotty in the evenings.. Too many trees in the northeast direction, and only an 18ft antenna.
post #7923 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by broozer View Post
Your cord-cutting friend may be able to help you if you get a used Slingbox Pro-HD (which has a built-in ATSC tuner), or connect an ATSC tuner box to the M1, such as the below which I found on Amazon:

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback (Old Version)

by IVIEW

You connect your friend's antenna to this ATSC tuner (there's a pass-through to the TV), and you connect the tuner to the Slingbox with Component and audio cables, and to the TV with the coax pass-through.

Since there's two separate tuners (one on your friend's TV, and the other on this box) you can be watching different channels simultaneously.

I have a rooftop antenna in Beaufort. Savannah TV comes in fine; the only reliable signals for Charleston these days are WGWG, WTAT, & WCIV, although WCSC & WCBD can be received spotty in the evenings.. Too many trees in the northeast direction, and only an 18ft antenna.

You should get an higher mast like a Channel Master CM 1830 Telescoptic Mast to improve your Charleston, SC signals over-the-air in Beaufort (since it's an orphan county which means a county located in out-of-state DMA). I've only got a Slingbox M1 model (and it requires HDMI Component Converter since it's now HDCP thing) and I've still tried to ask my friends to set up my Slingbox in the Charleston, SC area, but I've failed. I hate going into 'Last Resort' and I don't want to give up my hopes in watching Charleston local news here in Greenwood, SC since it's impossible to get the stations over-the-air. I've also bought Amazon Fire TV stick and it has the Slingbox player and it unfortunately works with newer models like the M1. Cord-Cutters use a friend or family members Slingbox to watch cable shows and out-of-market news. I've read articles about this. I've tried to ask my brother about finding his mutual friends who lived in Charleston, SC on social media to set up my Slingbox (with permission) but failed.

Anybody from the Charleston, SC area if they heard of the Slingbox? It works with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, U-Verse, and DirecTV (recently owned by AT&T) receivers. I'm very interested in watching Charleston, SC local channels and etc. Please PM me. Thanks.

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #7924 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSC View Post
I think the Internet GB requirements ($$) might be more of the problem. Connecting the cables to your Slingbox is simple.
HDSC, do you own a Slingbox?

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #7925 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 146
^^SpencerKarter you may want to consider watching the livestreams of the Charleston newscasts. You can connect your computer to your TV with HDMI cable or Chromecast. But not necessarily HD however. I will often watch WSOC from Charlotte on my laptop because I don´t always receive their OTA signal in Greenville, unlike WBTV and WCNC which I get with the antenna.
post #7926 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 22
About the only way to effectively be able to see out of market programming like you want to do would be to make friends with a satellite subscriber in that area that was willing to share a receiver with you. And yes, that opens an entire list of legal issues. But so does the Slingbox. Even then I'm not sure that would help in your situation due to the way the "spot beams" they use work and your location.

I know of a company that does this. They do business all over the state, so they monitor traffic & news from every market. They have DirecTV receivers for Greenville and Columbia and Dish receivers for Myrtle Beach and Charleston.
post #7927 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
^^SpencerKarter you may want to consider watching the livestreams of the Charleston newscasts. You can connect your computer to your TV with HDMI cable or Chromecast. But not necessarily HD however. I will often watch WSOC from Charlotte on my laptop because I don´t always receive their OTA signal in Greenville, unlike WBTV and WCNC which I get with the antenna.
Watching the newscasts online is NOT THE SAME as watching it on TV because they don't show real commercial breaks, promos, and network/syndicated programming just local newscasts....Sad indeed!

Spencer Karter

post #7928 of 7939 Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
About the only way to effectively be able to see out of market programming like you want to do would be to make friends with a satellite subscriber in that area that was willing to share a receiver with you. And yes, that opens an entire list of legal issues. But so does the Slingbox. Even then I'm not sure that would help in your situation due to the way the "spot beams" they use work and your location.

I know of a company that does this. They do business all over the state, so they monitor traffic & news from every market. They have DirecTV receivers for Greenville and Columbia and Dish receivers for Myrtle Beach and Charleston.
'
I've heard of Slingbox legal controversy before. You just connect the Slingbox at a friend's house out of town (with permission) for example and watch the news in your town. That's how the Slingbox works. I don't trust those suckers aka the NAB because the National Association of Broadcasters have a bad reputation.

You know, Greenville, SC TV stations does irrelevant North Carolina and Georgia local news despite South Carolina news. But Columbia, and of course Charleston does 100% relevant South Carolina local news. I wanted to know news in my own state of South Carolina, not North Carolina and Georgia. Of course our NBC station (WYFF out of Greenville) doesn't carry Kathie Lee and Hoda's Today Show's 4th Hour in the mornings at 10am because they delay the Today Show's 3rd hour to 10am in order to show Live! with Kelly and Michael at 9am live. But WCBD does carry KLG and Hoda, so as Columbia's WIS too (which is not the same after they gave the PINK SLIP to weatherman John Farley and last year to their popular anchorman Ben Hoover who the latter is now at rival WOLO).

I wish I could get the Charleston, SC TV stations OTA with antenna here in Greenwood, SC because I'm over 100 miles from there.

I've heard the FCC is planning on eliminating the outdated Exclusivity Rules (Network Non-Duplication and Syndicated Exclusivity) and it has become a controversy as well. The NAB and various state broadcasters aren't happy about this, while those fed-up with Retransmission Consent blackouts are happy about this. Those rules unfortunately prevent a cable and satellite companies from importing an out of market ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX during impasses/blackouts and it's sad that the consumers are treated as pawns and denied to watch their favorite shows. Recently WCIV was blackout on DISH for a few hours before restored. If it wasn't for Tom Wheeler of the FCC doing something, they would be blackout longer. Also WCBD averted a blackout on DirecTV because they reach an agreement.

WCSC (RF 47/Virtual 5.1) and WCBD (RF 50/Virtual 2.1) are strongly impacted because they have to move to hi or lo VHF band or share with WTAT (RF 24/Virtual 24.1) or WCIV (RF 36/Virtual 36.2) after the March 29, 2016 FCC Incentive Auction.

VHF can go up high as 100 miles while UHF only goes 60 miles.

Spencer Karter

post #7929 of 7939 Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 PM

Does Charleston area have the 4K boxes Xfinity yet? Thinking of getting a 4K set and want to see if a switch to Comcast is worth it.
post #7930 of 7939 Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

I've got some BAD NEWS...Don't shoot the messenger!

Media General is threatened to blackout DISH Network subscribers again if a new retransmission consent agreement isn't reached on March 31st. Repeat offender? A repeat of 2013? MG owns your NBC and CW stations.

Remember back from October-November 2013 MediaGeneral blackout DISH because of outdated rules from so-called 1992 Cable Act before their controversial merger with Young Broadcasting. Yes, Retransmission Consent is a controversial topic and the blackouts by broadcasters another another controversial topic too.

Retransmission Consent reform is needed badly...Sorry NAB!

Spencer Karter

post #7931 of 7939 Old 05-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgking114 View Post
Does Charleston area have the 4K boxes Xfinity yet? Thinking of getting a 4K set and want to see if a switch to Comcast is worth it.
Nope, not yet at least. No one is broadcasting any 4k content yet anyway.
post #7932 of 7939 Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Anyone know why Comcast isn't carrying WGWG? AS a local, full power station, don't they fall under the "must carry" rules? How can Comcast be forced to comply?
post #7933 of 7939 Old 05-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation New Guy Antennae Question... another one.

Well, like many of you I'm cutting the cord. Just looking for local stations to add to my SlingTV account. We are moving to this location in a week and Im looking to install it in the attic. Ive seen some threads where people say that foil backed insulation in the roof will hinder a signal; any truth in that... Im guessing it might, but really by how much? My roof is a new build so it does have a very thin foil film showing on the underside of the roof. Ive done a fair amount of research on this being a recently retired military guy, but alot of the same questions you search on the internet are old threads. Im looking for 2016 information. I also looked in my local HD Thread and the answers were dated. Last thing, will a built in pre amp be required? All TVs are less then 100' away from the projected mount. Thanks ahead of time... looking to order in the next few days.

TV Fool Report:
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134d7210f608 0
post #7934 of 7939 Old 05-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Exclamation

Well, like many of you I'm cutting the cord. Just looking for local stations to add to my SlingTV account. We are moving to this location in a week and Im looking to install it in the attic. Ive seen some threads where people say that foil backed insulation in the roof will hinder a signal; any truth in that... Im guessing it might, but really by how much? My roof is a new build so it does have a very thin foil film showing on the underside of the roof. Ive done a fair amount of research on this being a recently retired military guy, but alot of the same questions you search on the internet are old threads. Im looking for 2016 information. Also, will a built in pre amp be required? All TVs are less then 100' away from the projected mount.Thanks ahead of time... looking to order in the next few days.

TV Fool Report:
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134d7210f608 0
post #7935 of 7939 Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A usable link to your TV Fool Report is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134d7210f6080

It's only resolved to the block address, so it may or may not be accurate. You can create a more accurate one can be created at http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

Your PBS station is VHF Hi. The rest are all UHF. I'd probably recommend an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V if mounted on the roof. It might work in the attic if pointing through a wall or roof without any metal foil. All bets are off if foil or other metal is involved.
post #7936 of 7939 Old 05-24-2016, 06:04 AM

Here is a more accurate report:
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134fc3792600 3
post #7937 of 7939 Old 05-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The link to your TV Fool Report is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134fc37926003

Your main networks (all of which have sub-channels) are at 116 and 119 degrees. Some additional lower power stations are at 144 and 147 degrees. You might be able to point the antenna in the middle (about 130 degrees or so) and get both using the antenna listed above (Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V). But again, attics are funny places and can have lots of dead spots (especially if your roof and siding have foil or other metal coverings). You can only try. I'd suggest running the coax through the house to one television as you make your attempt before actually mounting the antenna. Sometimes a few inches or a few feet makes all the difference.
post #7938 of 7939 Old 05-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Please use existing threads only in the Local HDTV Reception section.

Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7939 of 7939 Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Question WWMB The CW in Georgetown County

We get WWMB (CW) in Georgetown County on TWC 1213 (that is right) but not in HD and it is a horrible picture, almost unwatchable. We do not get The CW from Chaleston at all. If you live in Horry you get it on 1212 and HD. I have called WWMB and TWC and no one knows anything! It is frustrating to live just into Georgetown County and get this service plus all our HD stations are from Charleston (about 85 miles from where we live). That issue may not be able to be dealt with but it would be nice if we could watch a few shows we like on the CW without waiting for on demand to show up. Anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception