How I Beat the HoA With a Large, Multi-Directional Antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob666
  • 1 Post By Squirrel!

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How I Beat the HoA With a Large, Multi-Directional Antenna

I bought a large, Winegard multi-directional antenna from SolidSignal. I had been frustrated with Comcast and their constantly changing rates and decided to 'cut the cord'.

We supplemented with the Roku at first, but then (like most I'm sure) we found that we couldn't watch local sports, parades on holidays, etc. The antenna would give us HD signals to local broadcasts and solve it all.

So - after doing the aforementioned research and discovering the HoA 'couldnt say no' (from this site courtesy of the FCC: fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule), I bought the antenna and had an installer come out.

It didn't take long for our 'neighborhood watch' (the local HoA Nazi's..) to discover the antenna and report us. To which the HoA promptly send a letter telling us to take it down.

As I've seen on a lot of sites, the common response was also from the above site - to the effect of 'a common stick antenna cannot be used to receive a distant signal'.

What the HoA misinterpreted was the 'distant signal' terminology.

After writing a letter to the FCC (the instructions to which are also on the above site), they sided with me and the HoA removed all fines.

I've had the antenna up for 2.5 years now and it works GREAT. Can't tell you what a feeling it was to win that battle especially after reading all the horror stories online of how the HoA has forced everyone to remove it.

The FCC said that the 'stick antenna' referred to in the OTARD rule doesn't apply to typical antennas used on houses. So long as you own access to the roof and are not using it to receive a 'distant signal', you're protected by this law.

The next question is 'what is a distant signal'?

Go to this site: antennaweb.org/Address.aspx and type in your information.

The site will tell you the distance to your local broadcasting stations and what type of antenna will be needed to receive the signal.

Next step is to find your DMA (direct marketing area). This is something that 'all' local cable companies have so they know what signals to send through the co-ax. Call them and find out.
- Chances are - the stations identified at antennaweb are in 'your' direct marketing area which means it is NOT a distant signal.

You will most likely have to involve the FCC as I did - but if the signals you are trying to receive with your antenna (and the installer knows this as well) are in your DMA, you will be fine.
- It is not a fun fight - the HoA and I are not on good terms because of this and I almost had it removed just to get over it.. but it is very rewarding not paying for local broadcasts anymore.

I encourage you to contact me for advice/suggestions because I want as many people as possible to put up antennas and help to put Comcast in their place.
jollygrunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Just saying...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
Views:	97
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1073042  

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

HOAs are all money grabbers. Glad you stood up to them. The reason others conform is because they know no better.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Just saying...
There would've been working links if there wasn't a rule about needing 5 posts first

Just saying...

I'm happy to offer more info if needed - just pm or email
post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am not a fan of HOAś either. But The FCC OTARD rules definitely allow for an outside antenna. Sometimes you can luck out with a discreet Squareshooter or Flatwave flat panel, but often a real antenna is required for best results. Although some have reported the Horizon flat antenna from Solid Signal works pretty good. But I personally would rather go with a Clearstream 4V or DB8e in most situations. But at my location, even the cheap DB2 bay from MCM works great outside, and gets channels 75 miles away.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed

And the installer can help ensure you get the right model for the stations/broadcasts you're trying to pick up.

I went with Winegard's HD7084 model. This site won't let me post a link yet.. but just add the rest to the beginning: solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD7084

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am not a fan of HOAś either. But The FCC OTARD rules definitely allow for an outside antenna. Sometimes you can luck out with a discreet Squareshooter or Flatwave flat panel, but often a real antenna is required for best results. Although some have reported the Horizon flat antenna from Solid Signal works pretty good. But I personally would rather go with a Clearstream 4V or DB8e in most situations. But at my location, even the cheap DB2 bay from MCM works great outside, and gets channels 75 miles away.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post

I'm happy to offer more info if needed - just pm or email
No, we're good, thanks. Just wanted to see your monstrosity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Antenna%20%27Farm%27%20002.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1073882  
Steve Crowley likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
No, we're good, thanks. Just wanted to see your monstrosity.

No worries - attached below. Here's the link: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd7084

Something like 8'x9' and a sizable mast to get over the houses (my place is on a decline compared to the other side of the development)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SHD7084.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1074450  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
antenna , fcc , hdtv , hoa , home owners association