Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 207 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6181 of 6629 Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im not crazy and I have 3 hd dvrs . The menues have been changed the same way on all of them. This happened late at night or early morning. No big deal just screwed up and did not record a few shows.Oh my god I will have to miss Dance moms for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6629 Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM

I would like to know if there are any people other than me that have cut all ties with cable and satellite. After starting out with Bright House several years ago, I went to Dish Network because they had the better DVR's plus local channels. After they went to war with Fox (WCOV), I ended up getting the shaft from Direct TV, so I dropped them all. Now I have Free HDTV, and I stream the rest via internet. Tivo is a big plus with my latest rebellious decision. Anyone have feedback on this?
post #6183 of 6629 Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrdsun View Post

I would like to know if there are any people other than me that have cut all ties with cable and satellite. After starting out with Bright House several years ago, I went to Dish Network because they had the better DVR's plus local channels. After they went to war with Fox (WCOV), I ended up getting the shaft from Direct TV, so I dropped them all. Now I have Free HDTV, and I stream the rest via internet. Tivo is a big plus with my latest rebellious decision. Anyone have feedback on this?

My sister and her husband did this. They have an antenna for locals with TIVO. They also have Netflix and Hulu Plus. I've had Dish, DirecTV, Charter and Knology in the past. I now have Brighthouse. They all have their issues but I was happy with Dish for the longest time and left because of cost. Brighthouse has been good so far but they are lacking a lot of services in our area including more HD, on demand, higher internet speed, etc. I like TIVO but Dish does make the best DVRs. The customer service at Dish and Brighthouse are better than the others, IMO. Charter is the worst.
post #6184 of 6629 Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
"Cutting the cord" has never crossed my mind, it doesn't bother me at all to pay my Dish Network bill each month. I'm sure other people have bills that they don't mind paying but I would think is crazy (anything over $500/month for a car I think is nuts).

Yes, cable and sat price are going up but, they've been going up ever since the industry was created. Other things in our lives cost more these days as well, from the movies to food. What I find odd with the whole "cut the cord" movement is that people seem to want every channel for next to nothing. I gladly pay my Dish bill each month and I don't see anything changing that in the future. If I ever need to save money then I'll just drop to a lower tier, but canceling and relying on things like Hulu+ and Netflix, never. I have Netflix and love it as an addition to my TV service. I tried Hulu+ last year for a couple months and hated it, I'll never pay for that service again (half there content is only available on a PC and I thought the HD quality was poor and the forced commercials where annoying).

Guess I'm an oddball these days, my cable/sat bill is the least painful to pay each month.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #6185 of 6629 Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Count me in as another one who would never consider cutting the cord. The "HD" picture quality online is subpar (but then so is my cable; I prefer DirecTV but no longer have LOS to their sats) and my so-called 10 Mbps DSL is too slow to reliably stream YouTube in 360p, much less 720 or 1080!

I like the idea of having a Roku or Boxee or a Blu-Ray with wireless to gain additional content, but I don't think the shows I like are even online in any HD form so I would lose more than I'd gain. My TV habits are primarily cable channels like A&E, Discovery, Science, etc… The only OTA I ever watch is local news, MeTV and Fox's Sunday animation block. (I live in Baldwin County and can't actually get Fox OTA despite being able to practically see the tower from my neighbourhood.)

Plus, I'd hate to lose the fast-forwarding ability of a DVR to forced commercials like Hulu has. Yuck! I'm trying to get away from commercials, not sit through more.
post #6186 of 6629 Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM

And I certainly wasn't advocating "cutting the cord." My sister and her husband did it and they are happy. I wouldn't be. I'm already missing all of those extra HD channels with Dish. I think Brighthouse will catch up though as they have lots more than Dish in other places. But I do agree that dealing with these companies can be frustrating. However, if you know the right people, the experience is much better. I had a direct number to Dish retention that allowed me to speak to an American with no wait. That helped so much. With Brighthouse, BHteckexpert has been a great resource and a manager at the local office gave me his personal number. The service with BH has been great. Anyway, I guess my point is that customer service can be bad but there are ways to find great customer service.
post #6187 of 6629 Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have info on att universe internet service?
post #6188 of 6629 Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrdsun View Post

Some good friends of mine have dropped cable TV along with their High Speed internet. Went with OTA and use their smart phones for internet.

I can see dropping cable or satellite TV, but trying to do all my web surfing with a smartphone with be tough. Perhaps a derivitive of that would be to use a hotspot capable smart phone and a computer with WiFi but you'd have to watch your data use.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6189 of 6629 Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasdad View Post

Anyone have info on att universe internet service?

I have U-Verse telco and internet at home in Charlotte..I'm too far away from the V-RAD to get video..I would up paying $10 less per month by upgrading
getting all the upgraded phone features plus 11.5 mb/s down and 1.4 mb/s up for $60 per month. So far, I am very pleased. However I type this on the decent but slow wireless here in my Fungomery Hotel Motel Not Holiday Inn.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6190 of 6629 Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I have U-Verse telco and internet at home in Charlotte..I'm too far away from the V-RAD to get video..I would up paying $10 less per month by upgrading
getting all the upgraded phone features plus 11.5 mb/s down and 1.4 mb/s up for $60 per month. So far, I am very pleased. However I type this on the decent but slow wireless here in my Fungomery Hotel Motel Not Holiday Inn.

Thanks no tv here yet but they say speed up to12
post #6191 of 6629 Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 190
A good article about cutting the cord.

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2012/0...m_campaign=pbs

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6192 of 6629 Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Some good friends of mine have dropped cable TV along with their High Speed internet. Went with OTA and use their smart phones for internet.

I can see dropping cable or satellite TV, but trying to do all my web surfing with a smartphone with be tough. Perhaps a derivitive of that would be to use a hotspot capable smart phone and a computer with WiFi but you'd have to watch your data use.

We went the smart phones for internet for a while too, after we went a round or two with Verizon's internet. I still use the smart phone as a modem sometimes when I am away from home with my laptop. We have since gone back to AT&T high speed internet. We have just been trying to find cheaper and more practical ways of doing things. It's going to take some getting use to, but so far steaming some of our shows from internet is ok. With satellite and some cable packages you just end up paying so much money for "Stuff" you don't even watch.
post #6193 of 6629 Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 AM

I was telling my associate pastor about the MLB package I got through MLB TV to watch all of my Orioles games through an app on my TV in HD. He was very interested. However, I knew he was a big Brave's fan and they would be blacked out in our area on this subscription. He currently has Brighthouse and they air the Braves games on SportSouth and FSN South but that's it. These channels aren't even digital or HD. He wants all of the games and better picture quality. I know Charter has Peachtree (or whatever it is called now) so Braves fans in Montgomery get all of the games. Anyone with DirecTV or Dish in our area know if you get all of the Braves games? Is there an alternate channel for Peachtree TV?

Thanks is advance.
post #6194 of 6629 Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I'm with Dish and as far as I remember we do not get Peachtree TV. I hate that TBS is no longer a Braves station, it seems that I only get about half as many games as I use to. I also hate who Dish handles there sports net channels, sometimes we will only get the game in SD on FOX SS even though it is being broadcast in HD because Dish only has has room to broadcast a certain number of the sports net channels in HD at one time.

I'd love to get MLB TV but, the price and the fact that Braves games would be blackout make it a no go for me. I did pay the $15 for the audio access on the iPad/iPhone app. We'll see how much I use it this year but $15 is not a bad price for every MLB game's radio broadcast all season long.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #6195 of 6629 Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't had DirecTV in a few years, but when I did FSN and Sport South were in HD but Peachtree TV was not.
post #6196 of 6629 Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all,
I have switched from ATT to Brighthouse Roadrunner turbo. Keep your fingers crossed. ATT supports sucks. We tried Uverse from ATT,but they could not keep it connected to internet. It would stay on for almost an hour but then disconnect.When it was on line super fast.I t seems it was faster than Roadrunner. We will see
post #6197 of 6629 Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey all,
I have switched from ATT to Brighthouse Roadrunner turbo. Keep your fingers crossed. ATT supports sucks. We tried Uverse from ATT,but they could not keep it connected to internet. It would stay on for almost an hour but then disconnect.When it was on line super fast.I t seems it was faster than Roadrunner. We will see

Brighthouse showed up on time took about 1 hour to run line and hook up speed over 19 and workes great.
post #6198 of 6629 Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

post #6199 of 6629 Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Brighthouse showed up on time took about 1 hour to run line and hook up speed over 19 and workes great.

Welcome to BHN. If you need anything please let me know

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #6200 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott smith View Post

wow !!!!!!!!
post #6201 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post

Welcome to BHN. If you need anything please let me know

Thank you. No problems here. The installation went great no drama like ATT. We turned it on and everything great!
post #6202 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

4:11 this afternoon.
post #6203 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting,
When I test to Birmingham this is what I get.

post #6204 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Atlanta,

post #6205 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

Interesting,
When I test to Birmingham this is what I get.

That's what my Verizon 4g looks like when in Fungomery..kinda back@$$wards..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6206 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

You guys are making me jealous. Where I live in Baldwin County the city runs the cable system and they don't offer any internet or vod at all!

We're a captive audience to CenturyLink dsl that rarely tops 5 Mbps. But that's still 5x faster than my C Spire phone's wireless 3g!
post #6207 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

5Mbps on DSL is pretty respectable. Most of the time it's 3Mbps with a 256k upload unless your 3 blocks from the CO.
post #6208 of 6629 Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

tHANKS. No problems here. The installation went great no drama like ATT. We turned it on and everything great!

That is what I like to hear

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #6209 of 6629 Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Speedtest.net uses a Flash based byte counter and it's notoriously inaccurate for measuring true download and upload speeds.

The one speed test site that most serious testers use is at testmy.net, which uses only your browser for the test and allows the user to run separate download and upload speed tests, and allows the user to select a fixed file size for those tests...never use the "SmartTest" option if you want true accuracy in your speeds.

If you go to the web site below, run two separate tests..click the "Testmy Download" button and when that page loads select a 25mB or 50mB file from the drop-down box as your test size and let it run...

Then, go to the "Testmy Upload" option and select the 17 or 23mB file from the drop-down box as your test size and let it run..

You can post those results...if you run these tests early in the morning when fewer customers are competing for bandwidth on your ISP/Internet connection, then run them again during the peak-use hours of 7-10pm you will have a fair picture of how congestion effects your speed.

http://testmy.net/

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #6210 of 6629 Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

That's an interesting site, 4bama, thanks for sharing. It gave me 1.5 Mbps down from my main PC, 4.4 down from my phone using wifi from the same location and 5.5 Mbps down if I got as close to the wireless router as possible.

The 1.5 Mbps is due to the fact that my old USB wireless dongle died and I'm stuck with an internal card with a damaged antenna. I tried a replacement USB unit and it completely screwed up Networking in Windows. So I'm pretty much stuck with this subpar setup.

I'd love to see some of the Brighthouse users' results using this testmy.net system.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page