post #6241 of 6656 Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post

Chrome is far better than Opera but both do serious numbers on memory. In the case of Opera its a blatent memory leak which manifests over time...you can just leave a browser window open overnight compare starting memory used and ending...it will shock you. Chrome on the otherhand does unique things with memory...its not so much a leak but the way they handle it and then fail to release it once there is no longer a need....google of course always has an excuse but either way you look at it they both impact available memory over time which for some is an obvious problem.

I've never experienced that, but it is a widely reported bug. I always leave mine running. One thing Chrome runs circles around Opera is load and unload time. It takes over a minute for my highly customized Opera to fully load and often 3-4 minutes of disk thrashing to unload. So I almost never close it. When minimized it's about 34 MB, same at night as in morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6656 Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Rolltide, I use IE8 because IE9 is not available for XP...I have IE9 on the wife's Vista laptop, but I'm still sold on my XP-SP3 desktop and IE9 is not an option..I would not use it as my main browser if it was available for XP...

My browser of choice is Chrome, Firefox a close second.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #6243 of 6656 Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

On testmy.net, download(using 12meg file) ranges from 4.98, 15.22, 12.21.

Upload speed using 17.5mb setting shows 1.9mbps .

Jim, it's hard to judge how many neighbors share your internet bandwidth..

Most of the folks who like to measure such things recommend running your download test first early in the morning before everyone else is online, like before 8am....log that, then in the peak evening hours when all the kids are home from school and adults are home from work, and after dinner hour, is when you most likely will find the most bandwidth congestion..

So run your second download test about 8pm...then between the two speeds you can begin to judge what effects, if any, bandwidth congestion has on your internet speeds...your 2pm test looks good...surprised by the first low speed of 4.98...

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp
post #6244 of 6656 Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I still use Chrome for 90% of my browsing. I just love Chrome Sync to much to give it up,

FF has that too. Both my desktops, my laptops, and my iphone all sync favorites, history, user names and passwords.
post #6245 of 6656 Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Speedtest.net is not a reliable speed test indicator for comparing your speeds on different days, or at different times..

I thought we already went down this road?
post #6246 of 6656 Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

post #6247 of 6656 Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM

@Scott...all looks good, but you can sure tell the difference when you control the file size for your tests and use your browser instead of a Flash based test bed..

I ran similar tests using different browsers, all back-to-back and the speed test results indicate this order for a browsers' download manger's ability to do its job:

1. Opera, fastest download manager

2. Chrome, very close to Opera but just a tad slower

3. Firefox, about 10% slower than Opera or Chrome on downloads

4. Internet Explorer...slowest of all the browsers I tested.

post #6248 of 6656 Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

FF has that too. Both my desktops, my laptops, and my iphone all sync favorites, history, user names and passwords.

Ditto Opera. I use the mobile (not mini) version on my phone and everything syncs over.
post #6249 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For those wanting to switch the topic back to TV, Knology is adding 12 new HD channels on May 1st. That still keeps them way behind Charter and the sat. companies and slightly behind Brighthouse .

Come on Brighthouse! Add some more HD too! I left Dish for Brighthouse because of cost but also a hope that they will add a lot more HD like they have in other areas.

I think 2012 will finally bring the Montgomery market into line with other markets for HD. Charter added over 30 (around 75 total HD now) in December and January and now there is the Knology news(will have about 45 HD now). I have a feeling Brighthouse (53 HD channels) will add a bunch this year too. All of these companies have locations with over 100 HD channels.
post #6250 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post

I think 2012 will finally bring the Montgomery market into line with other markets for HD. .

And not just on cable too!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6251 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

For those wanting to switch the topic back to TV, Knology is adding 12 new HD channels on May 1st. That still keeps them way behind Charter and the sat. companies and slightly behind Brighthouse .

Come on Brighthouse! Add some more HD too! I left Dish for Brighthouse because of cost but also a hope that they will add a lot more HD like they have in other areas.

I think 2012 will finally bring the Montgomery market into line with other markets for HD. Charter added over 30 (around 75 total HD now) in December and January and now there is the Knology news(will have about 45 HD now). I have a feeling Brighthouse (53 HD channels) will add a bunch this year too. All of these companies have locations with over 100 HD channels.

We have more REAL HD than any other provider Where you got the 53 HD channel thing from escapes me unless you are in an outer market such as south of Birmingham and even there we are getting you folks up to date.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #6252 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:

We have more REAL HD than any other provider Where you got the 53 HD channel thing from escapes me unless you are in an outer market such as south of Birmingham and even there we are getting you folks up to date.

I'm in Elmore County/Wetumpka which is an hour and a half south of Birmingham. I counted the channels listed on BH's website (they seem to be missing now) and came up with 53 including locals and premiums and the HD extra pack. I confirmed this on my cable box. I looked at BH's listing for Birmingham and Tampa and counted over 120 each. We are in the Elmore/Eufaula/Panhandle system for BH. The Panhandle is close in HD count as I counted 57. They have an extra local in HD plus FX, Travel and ESPNNEWS(would love to have those). BH hasn't added HD in our area in a while.

"even there we are getting you folks up to date" - That's what I was hoping to hear and a big reason I switched. I knew our area would catch up with Birmingham soon. When I left Dish my HD channels were cut in half. I think BH in Elmore will close that gap soon. The picture quality is already a ton better than Dish, IMO.
post #6253 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

And not just on cable too!

I almost forgot, stupid me. I hope you guys are giving us good news soon on WAKA news HD and the CW Montgomery HD. Are things still progressing fairly well?
post #6254 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I'm in Elmore County/Wetumpka which is an hour and a half south of Birmingham. I counted the channels listed on BH's website (they seem to be missing now) and came up with 53 including locals and premiums and the HD extra pack. I confirmed this on my cable box. I looked at BH's listing for Birmingham and Tampa and counted over 120 each. We are in the Elmore/Eufaula/Panhandle system for BH. The Panhandle is close in HD count as I counted 57. They have an extra local in HD plus FX, Travel and ESPNNEWS(would love to have those). BH hasn't added HD in our area in a while.

"even there we are getting you folks up to date" - That's what I was hoping to hear and a big reason I switched. I knew our area would catch up with Birmingham soon. When I left Dish my HD channels were cut in half. I think BH in Elmore will close that gap soon. The picture quality is already a ton better than Dish, IMO.

Thats what I thought...memory does serve me well once in a while. I will confess that your area is still behind the others but we are working on it. Upgrades for our outer markets are ongoing in several areas but it does take time.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #6255 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Thats what I thought...memory does serve me well once in a while. I will confess that your area is still behind the others but we are working on it. Upgrades for our outer markets are ongoing in several areas but it does take time.

Based on what you offer in Birmingham it is worth the wait.
post #6256 of 6656 Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I hope you guys are giving us good news soon on WAKA news HD and the CW Montgomery HD. Are things still progressing fairly well?

Yes...as they say at Sony.."Soon Only Not Yet"...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6257 of 6656 Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM

I've got a question for those in the know about cable companies. Why is it that when it rains we lose internet and cable signal/strength? Last night we got some pretty heavy rains and our internet was really slow with Brighthouse. I have the 20-meg turbo service and couldn't watch my Orioles streaming through MLB TV. The PQ on the cable was still pretty good though. I've had Charter and Knology in Montgomery and they were far worse than BH when it rained. The picture would look worse and the internet would slow to a crawl. Most of the cable companies (Charter is the worst) argue that the satellite companies lose signal during rain or snow. Not really in my experience. However, cable and internet are still affected when it rains. I've had all three cable companies in the area plus Dish and DirecTV. I had way more issues with Charter and Knology than Dish or DirecTV. Brighthouse may be behind Charter when it comes to HD channels and internet speed in our area but they are way ahead of Charter and Knology when it comes to reliability and quality of service and customer service. I had a great experience with Dish as well. I rarely, if ever, lost the picture during a storm.
post #6258 of 6656 Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I've got a question for those in the know about cable companies. Why is it that when it rains we lose internet and cable signal/strength? Last night we got some pretty heavy rains and our internet was really slow with Brighthouse. I have the 20-meg turbo service and couldn't watch my Orioles streaming through MLB TV. The PQ on the cable was still pretty good though. I've had Charter and Knology in Montgomery and they were far worse than BH when it rained. The picture would look worse and the internet would slow to a crawl. Most of the cable companies (Charter is the worst) argue that the satellite companies lose signal during rain or snow. Not really in my experience. However, cable and internet are still affected when it rains. I've had all three cable companies in the area plus Dish and DirecTV. I had way more issues with Charter and Knology than Dish or DirecTV. Brighthouse may be behind Charter when it comes to HD channels and internet speed in our area but they are way ahead of Charter and Knology when it comes to reliability and quality of service and customer service. I had a great experience with Dish as well. I rarely, if ever, lost the picture during a storm.

It shouldn't ....please get with me via email as it appears that we may have an unresolved issue to be fixed.

post #6259 of 6656 Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:

It shouldn't ....please get with me via email as it appears that we may have an unresolved issue to be fixed.

Email sent.
post #6260 of 6656 Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM

For those of you with Brighthouse, I got a call from someone at the local Wetumpka office yesterday. BH will be upgrading its services by the end of the year. The plan is to upgrade to Road Runner Lightning and switched digital video. SDV will allow them to add more HD and in-demand. Lightning will increase speed up to 40 mbps. I wrote an article (on my site which will remain nameless out of respect for posting rules here) if you want more info. This is great news for BH subscribers such as myself.
post #6261 of 6656 Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM

post #6262 of 6656 Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

It's getting really old listening to WCOV whine about Directv on their commercials. I get WCOV just fine via OTA so threaten all you want.
post #6263 of 6656 Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:

It's getting really old listening to WCOV whine about Directv on their commercials. I get WCOV just fine via OTA so threaten all you want.

Want to make a difference? Contact WCOV directly and tell them what you think.

post #6264 of 6656 Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

They read this.
post #6265 of 6656 Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Logically, stations with excellent coverage should have less ground to stand on, but you'd be surprised how many people refuse to deal with antennas and off the air coverage, even though the picture is superior (at least compared to some cable systems) and it's completely free.

Down here in Mobile, LIN did the song and dance with DirecTV and local cablecos at one time and they were in a great position since few can get their OTA signal on VHF-9. It's very difficult, so bypassing the cable for free OTA in this case wasn't possible for many people. I'm not even 15 miles from their TX site and I can't get them on half my TVs.
post #6266 of 6656 Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They read this.

Don't count on it besides nothing hits home like a strongly worded letter to their GM or better yet advertisers.

post #6267 of 6656 Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to tell everyone here about the great help a member has given me. BHNtechXpert has gone beyond the call of duty and answered my stupid questions and sorted out the RoadRunner problems I thought I had. In 10 mins. he helped me more than ATT did in years of service. I actually feel like they want me as a customer. Thanks again,
Charles
post #6268 of 6656 Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

I wish every forum and every cableco had a person like BHNtechXpert online to help customers.
post #6269 of 6656 Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Thank you both. Very kind words indeed

post #6270 of 6656 Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have Bright House in Orlando, Florida.

Here is our HD lineup with future possibilities and more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21968983

You could have a similar one when your upgrades happen. They do roll out stuff at around the same time for all systems except in the areas that need upgrades.

Orlando will have 199 HD channels on June 6.

We feel NFL Network has a real shot at happening by September and the other two big holes in the lineup AXS.TV/HDNet Movies (They want more carriage with Ryan Seacrest buying a stake) and more Starz HD (Once a new deal for Starz is reached)) could also possibly happen this year too.

Our HD lineup is simply fantastic and you'll love it when you finally get the SDV.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page