Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 223 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6661 of 6674 Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Montgomery, AL - HDTV

The FCC listing shows that it's owned by Woods communications. I wonder what affiliate this will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6674 Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo41 View Post
Ran a scan and it picked up channel 17 W17DX with 2 channels of color bars.
Interesting. I noticed it's owned by Woods Communications which RabbitEars says owns WCOV. I wonder what their plans are for it?
post #6663 of 6674 Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 100
An update guys for those who live in Elmore county- it appears that AT &T U-Verse is avail but paired w/ Direct TV?
post #6664 of 6674 Old 02-15-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
An update guys for those who live in Elmore county- it appears that AT &T U-Verse is avail but paired w/ Direct TV?
Just checked. Not available off of Jasmine Hills Rd.

Their DSL line however is which is new. Problem is that its only 6mbps for their fastest one and you need 10 for streaming video. That speed might vary based on location, though.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6665 of 6674 Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM

My understanding that U-verse is only available in Emerald Mountain right now for Elmore County. I live about 3 miles from Emerald Mountain in Windsong Ridge off of Redland and we can't get U-verse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6666 of 6674 Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
two new channels 17.1/2 22.2

two new free OTA channels 17.1/2 22.2

I recently discovered 2 new TV channels 22.2 the Nashville ch. I can watch it on my TV tuner but not on windows7 Media center
(I have scanned a couple of times)
W7MC doe's post whats coming on in it's TV guide.
channel 17.1/2 is nothing but a color code.

I didn't even rescan for these channels they jut appeared.

any news on when I can watch and record either channel reliablley I like the Saturday morning fishing shows on 22.2
Thanks STB
edit Jim I still want to try out you'r channel master antenna for a couple days before I buy one please PM me.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 03-05-2015 at 10:17 AM.
post #6667 of 6674 Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Anyone in the Wetumpka area have Brighthouse for internet? They upgraded our neighborhood off of Redland Road to fiber optic and upped the standard speed from 10/1 to 15/1. However, our service got worse. Anyone else experience any problems?

Also, FYI, Brighthouse added about 80 new HD channels over the last month.
post #6668 of 6674 Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW encrypted all of their digital channels today. No more clear QAM.
post #6669 of 6674 Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I live on the Prattville/Millbrook border and have not had any issues w/ BH net service.
post #6670 of 6674 Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello all,

I haven't visited this site in a long while, but I am hoping to get some help with a weird issue.

First, I will admit I know next to nothing about HD antennas and reception, etc. So, I apologize in advance if this is a simple problem with a simple solution.

On to the crux of the matter: I canceled my WOW cable subscription last month and purchase this HD antenna: amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIFIO8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I placed it on my wall, as high as I possibly could (~12'), however, it is ~4' from the nearest window as my TV is not positioned near windows.

I was able to receive several channels, many of which I did not know even existed (so many church channels...), except for WSFA (Ch. 12). That channel would not come in at all; all I would get is the "Weak signal or no available source" message on my TV. 8, 20, 32, et al. all came in wonderfully.

So, in response to this, I purchased this inline HD antenna amplifier. amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF70TO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I install it and, what do you know? 12 comes in great! But, now channel 8 is giving me the "Weak signal or no available source". How is it that I was able to get 8 before an amplifier but unable to after? If any of you could give me some tips I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
post #6671 of 6674 Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrlladnar View Post
I install it and, what do you know? 12 comes in great! But, now channel 8 is giving me the "Weak signal or no available source". How is it that I was able to get 8 before an amplifier but unable to after? If any of you could give me some tips I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
There are a couple of possibilities right off the top of my head. One possibility is that you can't get 8 now because the amplifier is actually providing your TV with too much signal. It can lead to dropouts and signal issues just as much as a weak signal can. Another is that the amplifier could be adding noise to the signal and degrading channel 8. I have a cheapie RCA set-top amplified antenna that I bought years and years ago at Wally-Mart and when it's on full amplification, it renders certain channels useless because of self-generated noise. Luckily there are no local channels where I live on those spots.

Digital is so finicky that you could probably just move the antenna a few inches one way or another and 8 may pop back in. 12 is going to be more difficult to receive since they are the only local station on VHF. If I remember correctly, they transmit from a site about halfway to Troy, and channel 8's is out in Lowndes County out towards Selma.

That Amazon antenna doesn't say anything about being designed for VHF, so getting 12 at all is a good accomplishment, IMHO. I have the smaller 15-mile version (by a different MFG, I got it through Meritline for something like $5) and it's the same way.
post #6672 of 6674 Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any reasoning as to why 12 is the only local station on VHF? Seems odd...

Oh well, I reckon I could turn off the amplifier when I want to watch 8 and back on again when I want to watch 12. Annoying but, what can ya do?
post #6673 of 6674 Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrlladnar View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Is there any reasoning as to why 12 is the only local station on VHF? Seems odd...

Oh well, I reckon I could turn off the amplifier when I want to watch 8 and back on again when I want to watch 12. Annoying but, what can ya do?
Ha ha, like I said, digital OTA is finicky. I think a lot of stations wanted to keep their existing VHF antenna system when they switched from analog to digital to save money. I'm in Mobile and WALA is on channel 9, so people here have the same reception issues with it. Some stations quickly realized that VHF wasn't working well, especially those who got on channels 2-6. But not all seem to be keen to move to UHF.

If the FCC ever gets around to it, there's going to be a big spectrum repacking deal to move stations off spectrum, so they can auction it off to cell phone companies. It's expected that more stations will wind up on VHF again because of it.
post #6674 of 6674 Unread Today, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Ha ha, like I said, digital OTA is finicky. I think a lot of stations wanted to keep their existing VHF antenna system when they switched from analog to digital to save money. I'm in Mobile and WALA is on channel 9, so people here have the same reception issues with it. Some stations quickly realized that VHF wasn't working well, especially those who got on channels 2-6. But not all seem to be keen to move to UHF.

If the FCC ever gets around to it, there's going to be a big spectrum repacking deal to move stations off spectrum, so they can auction it off to cell phone companies. It's expected that more stations will wind up on VHF again because of it.
When WSFA was temporarily on 14, they came in fine. They disappeared after the switch to DTV 12. I'm in the middle of Montgomery. 20 (from the same tower comes in fine. DTV is very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page