Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #6691 of 6719 Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I am still enjoying my OTA tv experience this year. We cancelled Hulu and now are relying on OTA recordings for our NBC, ABC, Fox, and CW shows. While the HTPC only can record two shows at a time, it has been very enjoyable not having to watch all the repetitive commercials on Hulu.

I bought my mom a refurbished LEAF antenna to use in her bedroom tv down in Dothan. Hopefully that will work well for her.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6719 Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
Well, I am still enjoying my OTA tv experience this year. We cancelled Hulu and now are relying on OTA recordings for our NBC, ABC, Fox, and CW shows. While the HTPC only can record two shows at a time, it has been very enjoyable not having to watch all the repetitive commercials on Hulu.

I bought my mom a refurbished LEAF antenna to use in her bedroom tv down in Dothan. Hopefully that will work well for her.
My mom's Leaf Antenna worked remarkably well! She was ecstatic that she was able to pick up stations from Panama City with it.

Also, I have resubscribed to Hulu Plus, this time without commercials. I am still using the HTPC to record shows though.

post #6693 of 6719 Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Does anyone know if 4K and HDR transmission will likely happen for OTA or is it limited to bluray and possibly cable/satellite?
post #6694 of 6719 Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt that we will see it for a while if it comes. Ask again in 5 - 10 years.

post #6695 of 6719 Old 03-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Does anyone know if 4K and HDR transmission will likely happen for OTA or is it limited to bluray and possibly cable/satellite?
They would have to actually do 1080p first.
post #6696 of 6719 Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

So I have an issue. I had to have the internet modem moved into the living room so I didn't have a 100' Cat5E cable traipsing through my entire house. Unfortunately, that means that they had to disconnect my antenna in my attic so they could use that coaxial port for the modem. I tried a leaf antenna and that only picked up ABC and PBS. I moved the antenna down into the living room to see if it would have any better luck than the leaf, but it is an eyesore, and t only picks up a few more stations, no CBS , CW, or NBC.

Anyone have any advice for me to try to keep using OTA so I don't have to rely on streaming?

post #6697 of 6719 Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-In...954463&sr=1-25

That is my antenna that I was using in my Attic.

post #6698 of 6719 Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So I decided the best way to do this is to get a Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini. That way I can put the Roamio in the office and connect it to the antenna in the attic. Then I can control the content from the living room with the Tivo Mini via my network. Any thoughts on this plan?

post #6699 of 6719 Old 05-06-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
So I decided the best way to do this is to get a Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini. That way I can put the Roamio in the office and connect it to the antenna in the attic. Then I can control the content from the living room with the Tivo Mini via my network. Any thoughts on this plan?
That sounds like a workable plan and I may do the same type of thing as far as getting a TIVO goes. Brighthouse dvrs suck in our area. They are only two-tuner and don't have many features. Plus, if we do eventually cut the cord, we'll only have the one-time fees for the new roamio and mini. Please post how your setup works out. I'm really interested to see how well the mini works.
post #6700 of 6719 Old 05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Actually, you could use your existing coax to pull two coaxes as long as its not stapled onto the studs.

I've got a very similar arrangement to what you're suggesting with a Tivo Bolt and a mini. The Bolt in the living room gets the antenna coax and goes into the household wired network. Mini in the bedroom connects to the wired network and can access all recordings on the Bolt, stream, and use one of the Bolt tuners for live OTA.

On another note...I had a Roamio basic that I was having some problems with and upgraded to the Bolt. At the time, if you bought the Bolt from Tivo, you'd also get a year of service included so essentially, the Bolt cost the net difference of $150. You might want to look into that.

Additionally, Tivo said last year that they'd be coming out with an upscale Bolt (hopefully one that doesn't look like a bent bar of soap) but as far as I know, there's no due date out on it.
post #6701 of 6719 Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Actually, you could use your existing coax to pull two coaxes as long as its not stapled onto the studs.

I've got a very similar arrangement to what you're suggesting with a Tivo Bolt and a mini. The Bolt in the living room gets the antenna coax and goes into the household wired network. Mini in the bedroom connects to the wired network and can access all recordings on the Bolt, stream, and use one of the Bolt tuners for live OTA.

On another note...I had a Roamio basic that I was having some problems with and upgraded to the Bolt. At the time, if you bought the Bolt from Tivo, you'd also get a year of service included so essentially, the Bolt cost the net difference of $150. You might want to look into that.

Additionally, Tivo said last year that they'd be coming out with an upscale Bolt (hopefully one that doesn't look like a bent bar of soap) but as far as I know, there's no due date out on it.
http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2016...-begin-may-31/

So it seems the UHF band will soon end at channel 29. That affects WAKA, WNCF, WMCF, Frazer and 48 (forget the calls, can't pick them up).
JimP likes this.
post #6702 of 6719 Old 05-12-2016, 11:55 AM

Charter purchase of Brighthouse official next week although those of us in Elmore County probably won't see many changes for two years. We're thinking about going internet only from BH/Charter and using an antenna for locals with Sony Vue for cable. Anyone try Vue yet? How is it?
post #6703 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Thanks! for sharing- jtrippe

I did not read about the buy-out of BH? I hope this does not affect quality or service?
post #6704 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone get those WALE channels via BH?
post #6705 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Can anyone get those WALE channels via BH?
I haven't seen them on BH yet but can pick them up via antenna on 17-1 through 17-6. I also noticed that 19 over the air is coming in better. 19-1 used to be DayStar HD with no subs. Now I get 19-1 through 19-6. 19-1 has no programming and only shows color bars. One of the subs is QVC and another Newsmaxx. I forget what the others are. I looked up the station and its is listed as a MyNetwork affiliate. Maybe that is coming soon. I hope so. It's also listed as a low power station out of Wetumpka. I live in Redland so I'm close to the tower.

Also, on a weird note. I had my antenna hooked up to my TV in our playroom and couldn't get 19 reliably or 29-1(WBIH) or 48-1(Cozi TV). I moved the TV to my bedroom and now get those channels with good signal strength. I'm using the same TV with built-in tuner and the same antenna. I didn't move the antenna at all yet I get better signal in the room that is farther away from the antenna. Maybe the wiring in our playroom was older, weaker or not connected securely. I just thought it was strange that I get more channels and more reliability just by moving the TV, not antenna, to a different room in the same house. Using a Channel Master 4228 with CM UHF/VHF amp.
post #6706 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
19-1 used to be DayStar HD with no subs. Now I get 19-1 through 19-6. 19-1 has no programming and only shows color bars. One of the subs is QVC and another Newsmaxx. I forget what the others are. I looked up the station and its is listed as a MyNetwork affiliate. Maybe that is coming soon. I hope so. It's also listed as a low power station out of Wetumpka. I live in Redland so I'm close to the tower.
If you wouldn't mind, could you look at those channel on 19 at some point and tell me what they are? I have it on my website as being My Network TV / Dr. TV on 19-1, while 19-2 is Buzzr and 19-3 is GetTV.

I haven't heard anything about QVC or Newsmax being added. DTV America's page for WDSF-LD doesn't show anything new.

I'd greatly appreciate it!
post #6707 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 04:50 PM

19-1 color bars
19-2 Buzzr
19-3 Get TV
19-4 LCHD (not actually in HD)
19-5 NEWSMAXX
19-6 QVC PLUS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6708 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also, on a weird note. I had my antenna hooked up to my TV in our playroom and couldn't get 19 reliably or 29-1(WBIH) or 48-1(Cozi TV). I moved the TV to my bedroom and now get those channels with good signal strength. I'm using the same TV with built-in tuner and the same antenna. I didn't move the antenna at all yet I get better signal in the room that is farther away from the antenna. Maybe the wiring in our playroom was older, weaker or not connected securely. I just thought it was strange that I get more channels and more reliability just by moving the TV, not antenna, to a different room in the same house. Using a Channel Master 4228 with CM UHF/VHF amp.
Its either a splitter, connector, amplifier configuration or your house is haunted.

If you're super curious, I've got a signal meter we could hook up to measure signal strength.
jtrippe likes this.
post #6709 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Montgomery, AL - HDTV

Thanks Jim. I'm not going to test fate and figure out why. I'm just glad it works better in the new location.

post #6710 of 6719 Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
19-1 color bars
19-2 Buzzr
19-3 Get TV
19-4 LCHD (not actually in HD)
19-5 NEWSMAXX
19-6 QVC PLUS

Thanks! I'll update my website later tonight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jtrippe likes this.
post #6711 of 6719 Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Many Thanks! Guys.
are any of you using AT&T U-Verse? I can get it on my side of Elmore Co.
post #6712 of 6719 Old 08-08-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watching some of the Olympics this afternoon via OTA (antenna).

Very good picture quality. Wondering why WSFA doesn't always look this good.
post #6713 of 6719 Old 08-09-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my mom moved to Troy, and I tried to setup her antenna there, and all I could get with a leaf antenna there was channel 4.1-4.4.

post #6714 of 6719 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

An update:
AT&T is working to bring U-Verse to all of Elmore Co.
jtrippe likes this.
post #6715 of 6719 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Quote:
An update:
AT&T is working to bring U-Verse to all of Elmore Co.

This is welcome news. I'm a little leery of the merger of Brighthouse and Charter and would be willing to take a look at another company. How does their pricing compare the cable companies?

post #6716 of 6719 Old Today, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

ATT U-verse is excellent. Like any other cable provider, it is best to "bundle" phone, cable, internet services.

Charter and Cox are the bottom of the barrel in the cable biz. I cannot believe this ****? Anything else is better, IMO.
Visit the AT&T store in Prattville and they can look up your neighborhood to determine an estimate on when U-Verse will be avail.
post #6717 of 6719 Old Today, 08:03 AM

Quote:
ATT U-verse is excellent. Like any other cable provider, it is best to "bundle" phone, cable, internet services.

Charter and Cox are the bottom of the barrel in the cable biz. I cannot believe this ****? Anything else is better, IMO.
Visit the AT&T store in Prattville and they can look up your neighborhood to determine an estimate on when U-Verse will be avail.
Thanks. I talked to ATT online. They don't have a date for my neighborhood yet. I'm around the corner from Emerald Mountain which has the service. It looks like I can get more channels, on-demand, and extra receiver and better DVR with ATT for the same price I'm paying Brighthouse/Charter. Definitely worth a look when they activate my address.
post #6718 of 6719 Old Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is ATT U-verse DSL?

How many tuners do their DVRs have?
post #6719 of 6719 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Good to read- jtrippe

we are on opposite sides of Elmore Co. I live on the border of Prattville/Millbrook where Hwy14 meets I65.
The good news is that there are U-Verse customers in my area, just not my particular neighborhood at this juncture. I have an ATT landline phone so I know that it is only a matter of time.

I will post again here as soon as U-Verse has been installed. Keep me posted as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception