AVS Forum banner

Montgomery, AL - HDTV

602K views 7K replies 201 participants last post by  johnfholman46 
#1 ·
According to titantv, wcov(fox) is broadcasting in HDTV. Anybody receiving this channel in high-def?

#2 ·
Just received a reply from WSFA. TitanTV lists them as going live 5-1. The station manager e-mailed in reply to my e-mail that they have just received their construction permit and hope to be on the air by October or November. I guess PBS still plans to be on the air in May. Other than that,

not much happening here (except faux HD Fox says they will be on the air in June--I guess widescreen 480p is better than nothing). Stan

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
Fox network doesn't have any HDTV programming.

Some Fox network affiliates upconvert Fox's 480p to 1080i, but it certainly isn't HDTV quality.

That's what I meant by faux HD Fox. At least I get NBC and CBS high def

(on a hit and miss basis) via antenna from B'ham. I'll have to be satisfied with that for the forseeable future.

#5 ·
I am on the far side of Lake Martin from Montgomery and just bought a Mits 65813. What can I expect in OTA signal from Montgomery. TitanTV keeps giving me Bhm stations and I just don't think I can get those channels from here.

What is the status of the Montgomery stations?

What antenna will I need if it is possible? I live near Stillwaters and the Blue Creek Marina.

Thanks

#6 ·
WNCF--ABC (32-1) is broadcasting at apprx. 58kw. They are passing through the ABC HD signal (all of ABCs primetime dramas and sitcoms are in HD) as well as DD 5.1 (that was a pleasant surprise). Their tower is

south/south west of Montgomery. I am about 15 miles north of Montgomery and I am receiving a strong signal from the backside of my antenna (oriented towards B'ham for CBS and NBC). You might or might not be able to get WNCF--you'll just have to try. I am getting a very strong signal from APT (100% on my receivers signal strength meter). They have one channel (27-1) dedicated to HD programming, and one channel (27-2) which is a mirror of their analog channel (26). WSFA should be on the air at full power around February. WAKA (CBS) is not even on the radar screen. You should have no trouble with the APT signal and possibly receive the ABC signal. If WSFA-NBC comes on the air at full power, as planned, you should have no problem receiving that signal. With a good deep fringe antenna you might be able to have the best of both worlds (I get B'ham from the front side of my antenna and Montgomery from the backside. (WCOV-FOX is broadcasting but at a very low power--my receiver has locked onto that signal only once. They are not passing FOX's

480p signal.)

#7 ·
I am picking up both FOX 20-1 and ABC 32-1 up fine, very strong signal. I am not getting PBS, but I really don't watch it at all so I'm not trying to find it. I am anxiously awaiting WSFA coming on the air. WAKA is worthless. I am in Millbrook the antenna is in my attic and is pointing S/SE at about 160 degrees. Good luck snagging signals.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerman73
I am picking up both FOX 20-1 and ABC 32-1 up fine, very strong signal. I am not getting PBS, but I really don't watch it at all so I'm not trying to find it. I am anxiously awaiting WSFA coming on the air. WAKA is worthless. I am in Millbrook the antenna is in my attic and is pointing S/SE at about 160 degrees. Good luck snagging signals.

Where are you located? I am in Elmore (between Wetumpka and Millbrook)

and get strong signals from both WNCF (32-1) and APT (27-1). APT registers 100% on my signal strength meter and WNCF is 69% I've only gotten FOX one time (but FOX doesn't do HD at this time-only 480p with plans to start HD next Fall). WCOV doesn't even pass on the 480p signal.

(The HD on APT is outstanding--although, for the most part it is a demo loop

with some different programming thrown in--the PBS national feed.) I'm looking forward to WSFA also. I'm getting NBC and CBS from B'ham on a very irregular basis (depending on atmoshperic conditions).

(From all indications WAKA is holding out as long as possible.)

#10 ·
APT is good demo material if nothing else. The nature documentaries are great eye candy. I guess I could get FOX if I oriented my antenna towards Montgomery but then I would loose the HD signals from the NBC and CBS stations in B'ham. If WCOV would increase their power I should be able to get it from the backside of my antenna (like WNCF and APT)-but I watch very little on FOX anyway. Initially, WNCF was low power and I didn't get them, now they are up to 58 kw--still low but I get a strong signal now. At least, us in central Alabama have something to talk about finally. I've gone from two channels when I first got my HDTV two years ago to 10 channels (of course, 6 of those are satellite).

#11 ·
but I didn't want to hang a big antenna outside my house. If I was more isolated I probably would do it. I am looking forward to WSFA coming online early next year (2-1-04??) Maybe one day FOX will go HD and start showing programs in at least 720P. I'll probably have moved back to Birmingham before WAKA gets off their butt and does something.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by tomtb2
I live in Montgomery & can get 32 & PBS. IT is a shame that we cannot get CBS SEC football in HD, but I at least the Tide will be on ESPN-HD for the next 2 weeks. It is surprising that 32 was the first to go HD in Montgomery.

That surprised me too. I thought WSFA would be the first. I get CBS from B'ham, but only at night (and not all the time). You're right it hurts to know AL is in HD on CBS and we've got to watch a crappy standrad def signal (and we still will not have it next year if WAKA sticks to their plans--and maybe not even the next year). But, we are moving slowly into the digital

age. (ESPN HD is our saviour this year--wish they could work out a deal with the SEC for next year's games).

#14 ·
I'm not getting 32-1 tonight. I assume it's weather related. Anybody else having problems? Also, I lost the APT digital signal a few nights ago. Is there a problem with them or is it just me? I was getting the APT signal at 100% on my receiver's signal strength meter. Thanks.

#24 ·
I'm not getting them either. I e-mailed them but I haven't heard back. It may still be a PSIP problem. I'm showing 26-1 and 27-1 now. My signal strength is showing 100% but there is no picture or sound. (I'm also showing the channel numbers for several APT stations that were added to my guide after that reset this PSIP signal a few day ago. Hopefully, they will get things worked out soon.

#26 ·
No, I still haven't heard anything. I've gotten a brief signal a couple of times when I have checked the channel, but, generally, I'm not getting picture or sound (but 100% on my signal strength meter). Not sure what's going on. I'll send another e-mail and see if I can get a reply. I have to hand it to WNCF, except for one time when I lost it, their signal has been solid as a rock. Hopefully, I can say the same thing about WSFA when they finally get on the air, hopefully, in February. Not much I can say about WAKA.