Denver area, HomeRun project, 2 attic antennas, cable and RG59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denver area, HomeRun project, 2 attic antennas, cable and RG59

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I live in the Denver area suburbs and bought a house a few years ago that has 2 attic antennas. My wife has decided that she want to re-do the basement next year, and I managed to convince her to let me cut up all the drywall in the basement to home run the whole house. I'm running at least 1 run of RG6-QS, and 2 runs of Cat6 to each room. The Living areas (places where I deem a TV is likely to go), I'm dropping 2 runs of RG6-QS and 3 or more drops of Cat6 in various places in the room. Being a professional computer nerd, I'm really in love with the idea of having a wired house.

Getting to the point, I have 2 attic antennas via the previous owner one going to the upstairs TV and one going to the downstairs TV. The one going to the upstairs TV, I used a F Connector union that connected the existing RG-59 from the antenna to RG6-QS that ran from the wall I have open to the HomeRun Box that connects to a 6 way splitter. The result was fairly disappointing. I did some research, purchased some F Connector 75 Ohm terminator caps and placed them on the splitter ends. Small improvement. I went back to the wall where I did the union and pulled about 15 excess feet of RG59 through the wall from the attic, terminated it and re connected. Bigger improvement, but not as much as I would like, I'm still missing channels that I probably should have and others have very poor picture/audio quality (I do not really care about analog, just digital). Then I stripped the end of the RG59 connected the RG6 and used the RG59 to pull new RG6 up to the attic where I could connect the RG6 to the balun on the antenna. To my dismay, it appears that the RG59 is an integral part of the balun, and it did not have an Ftype connector. So I cut of the RG59, leaving about 4 inches sticking out of the balun, put a new end on it and used another union to connect the RG6. The result is even poorer than leaving the 20 feet of RG59 going down through the wall.

I'm thinking about getting a new balun that has an F-type connector or even a new antenna to mount outside the house now. Since I have the walls open still, I'm also open to running an solid RG6-QS run up to this antenna (removing the unions). I'd like to try the new balun first. anyone have good suggestions? I'm looking at things like the Channel Master CM-94444

I'm also going to be running a solid run of RG6QS up to the second attic antenna as well. And I also need to figure out how I'm going to get the cable hookup from the DMARC to the HomeRun area. I figure it'll be pretty nifty, having my choice of 3 incoming signals and being able to feed them anywhere in the house based on how I split them. I'm also curious if it is possible to diplex this sort of setup. I figure I'll also eventually need some sort of amp/preamp to be able to handle all of the splitters (CM7777?)

So I guess my questions are
1) Suggestions on balun. I have no idea of the brand of the antennas (they both look like flat V's somewhat resembling an arrow) with the ribs going in between 2x4s of the in the attic.
2) Thoughts on replacing the unionized run of cable to the antenna
3) Thoughts on amps/pre-amps with this setup
4) Thoughts on scraping attic antennas and getting a nice roof antenna. I'm sorta daydreaming about the Winegard HD7084P with a nice roof mount.
5) Thoughts on using RG11 for the antenna feeds?

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-10-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also one last thing, the balun that I'm looking at says it supports AM/FM/VHF/UHF. Can you realistically, get AM/FM reception from the type of setup I've described? It'd be nice to be able to provide my AV Receiver with a nice stong signal for AM/FM. Or would I need seperate antennas/cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here