1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProjectSHO89

post #1 of 15 Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Why cant I get NBC?

I am unable to post the link to my TVFool Data, so im not sure if anyone can help me without it, but here's the deal.

I have 64 channels, but no NBC. I am set up within a degree or two of 155 magnetic (meaningless without my TVFool data) and all the other channels are clean. I am using a Lava HD antenna, which Im also not able to post a link to.

I cant tell if there is something obscuring this particular antenna, but that's the only thing I can think would prevent reception. This is putting a huge damper on my football watching.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Most of the Lava antennas are cheap junk and they have some models that don't get VHF (which is what WXIA is) or have easily overloaded amps. You can identify your antenna by its model which does not require a link.

In the meantime, send a PM to Dr. Don with your TVFool link and direct him to this thread and he will add your plot's link to the thread.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Antenna Version

My antenna is a Lava HD (model A-2605, ASIN B002MW0K22). It states that it supports UHF and VHF transmissions. I have had pretty good luck with it mounted in the attic, and I am getting a bunch of the stations listed on TV Fool that I should have trouble receiving. Currently at 155 degrees magnetic I am receiving 62 digital channels and they are all pretty strong. I had it mounted outside at my previous redisence in Kennesaw, about 8 miles away and had no reception issues.

I would definitely consider a different antenna if I knew what one to get. Everything I have purchased so far came from Amazon.

TV output 1 on the Lava box connects to an (model MA28PN, ASIN B000WDR94U) 8 way amplifier (+4db) which distributes the signal to all my televisions. This component is new and could be related to the issues, but it also claims to support both UHF and VHF, and my HDHR tuners are also not receiving this channel even thought they are connected to the other output.

Additionally I have a 4-way splitter going from the secondary output on the Lava box to a 6-way splitter (Monoprice model 110016, ASIN B00DIGAIRS), which dumps out to a couple of Silicon Dust HD Homerun (HDHR-US) dual tuner units that are managed by my MythTV server.

There are no other spitters and the lines from the 8-way go straight to the televisions.

The end of my TV Fool url is: Itemid=29&q=id%3db97d51b103c4f1 ofr reference. Im pretty sure im doing that right.

Thanks.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdyne View Post
Additionally I have a 4-way splitter going from the secondary output on the Lava box to a 6-way splitter (Monoprice model 110016, ASIN B00DIGAIRS), which dumps out to a couple of Silicon Dust HD Homerun (HDHR-US) dual tuner units that are managed by my MythTV server.
Should read:

Additionally I have connected the secondary output on the Lava box to a 6-way splitter (Monoprice model 110016, ASIN B00DIGAIRS), which dumps out to a couple of Silicon Dust HD Homerun (HDHR-US) dual tuner units that are managed by my MythTV server.

I dont see a way to edit my previous post
post #5 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I had that antenna a few years ago...Junk. Scrapped it and got some Antennas Direct antennas and haven't looked back.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #6 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

These:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna%20%27Farm%27%20002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1132466  

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #7 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
I had that antenna a few years ago...Junk. Scrapped it and got some Antennas Direct antennas and haven't looked back.

None of the antennas in your picture are from Antennas Direct. They look like Antennacraft or Winegard models at a quick glance.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdyne View Post
My antenna is a Lava HD (model A-2605, ASIN B002MW0K22). It states that it supports UHF and VHF transmissions. I have had pretty good luck with it mounted in the attic, and I am getting a bunch of the stations listed on TV Fool that I should have trouble receiving. Currently at 155 degrees magnetic I am receiving 62 digital channels and they are all pretty strong. I had it mounted outside at my previous redisence in Kennesaw, about 8 miles away and had no reception issues.

I would definitely consider a different antenna if I knew what one to get. Everything I have purchased so far came from Amazon.

TV output 1 on the Lava box connects to an (model MA28PN, ASIN B000WDR94U) 8 way amplifier (+4db) which distributes the signal to all my televisions. This component is new and could be related to the issues, but it also claims to support both UHF and VHF, and my HDHR tuners are also not receiving this channel even thought they are connected to the other output.

There are no other spitters and the lines from the 8-way go straight to the televisions.

The end of my TV Fool url is: Itemid=29&q=id%3db97d51b103c4f1 ofr reference. Im pretty sure im doing that right.

Thanks.
Here's your completed URL for your plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b97d51b103c4f1

My bet is that you either have nearby electrical noise (power lines, LEDs, CFLs, solar panels, etc) or else the internal amp is overloading from several FM stations that aren't far away. The importer of that antenna doesn't say if they have an FM filter in there and they make some fairly ludicrous overload claims about the amp as well as stupid-ridiculous distance claims, so it's probably a good idea to ignore their claims as unreliable.

At a minimum, I'd suggest a Winegard HD7694 with either a CM7778 or a Juice preamp in your location. The 7694 will provide plenty of high-VHF gain and neither amp will overload from your estimated signals. Then, it will probably boil down to antenna location and then checking for interference.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

There are nothing nearby that could be causing interference and the utilities are all underground, but the FM suggestion could be an issue. As I mentioned before my previous setup didnt have this issue so I have to suspect something nearby is the culprit. My previous address without this issue can be found here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b97d302d6c83dd

I see that NBC has moved from Green to Yellow even only moving 8 miles down the road. ABC (channel 2.1) was my problem child at that location, and I was glad to have a motorized mast head because the antenna was mounted outside there and needed adjusting after any big storms.

As a test I turned the amplifier gain all the way up and all the way down on the Lava box with no change in the results of a channel scan. Additionally, using the HDHR config gui application, I can see that when I tune it to the nearest NBC station (channel 10 real, trying to get 11.0 virtual) I see 72% signal strength, but no picture and 0% signal quality. Should that be interpreted as a symptom of interference?

I have decided on the Channel Master CM-7778 Titan 2 amplifier per your suggestion. The Juice amp is a little pricey. It says mast mounted. Do I have to mount it to the mast in the attic or can I just put it on a shelf next to my distribution block? If it needs to be mounted on the mast or at least grounded to it I can do that of course. Also, is it possible that my current antenna would work better if it were grounded? I didn't ground it inside the attic since i didn't think it was necessary, and running a separate ground wire up there would be tough to do.

Finally, looking at new antennae, which of the following would be most appropriate for my location?

Antennas Direct C4-CJM
Winegard HD7694P
Channel Master CM 4228HD

Thanks again. Very helpful.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Another update:

I hooked up a Blonder Tongue ZCM-101 VHF (50-550 Mhz) 10db amplifier and it doesn't seem to help at all, although it is not degrading the other stations at all. Looking at Google Earth, it would appear that there are some pretty heavy duty power transmission lines (guessing 4kV to 13kV primary customer grade) on the road that leads into our subdivision just a little over 600ft to the east. It is entirely possible that the RF interference from these transmission lines is strong enough to disrupt the low spectrum TV signals, and may be enough to make purchasing additional equipment a waste of time and money.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

More research:

This is listed as Channel 10 in the TV Fool data for this location. According to Wikipedia this channel operates at in VHF High Band/band 3 at 192Mhz in the US. Checking with the antenna manufacturer this is right in the middle of its supported (or advertised) VHF band so the antenna is probably not the issue here. I am also getting channel PBS on VHF channel 8 actual, channel 8.1 virtual without issues which suggest either a very specific band of interference or an obstruction doesn't it?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

WGTV PBS 8 8.1 VHF 15.94 kW Athens 33.37 mi 132.68° --> 75% signal strength, 65% signal quality - no issues
WXIA-TV NBC 10 11.1 VHF 80.0 kW Atlanta 29.42 mi 152.10° --> 70% signal strength, no lock - not viewable
WSB-TV ABC 39 2.1 UHF 1000.0 kW Atlanta 28.19 mi 154.69° --> 82% signal strength, 81% signal quality - no issues
WAGA FOX 27 5.1 UHF 1000.0 kW Atlanta 26.90 mi 149.51° --> 97% signal strength, 90% signal quality - no issues

This is with between a 154 and 157 degree magnetic azimuth. There is no way that I should be able to pull down that PBS station and not be able to get the NBC channel without some sort of obstruction, or a precisely calibrated local interference from what I have read.

Pretty crazy.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
None of the antennas in your picture are from Antennas Direct. They look like Antennacraft or Winegard models at a quick glance.
Who do you think you are, trying to tell me what brand antenna I have?!

But you're right...

Antennacraft U4000 & Y5-7-13

Been a few years. I remembered the first part correctly..."Antenna"...

post #14 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you moved your antenna around in the attic (or outside) or have you only tried it in a single location (a common mistake). Attics, especially, often have black holes for individual channels.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-22-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Have you moved your antenna around in the attic (or outside) or have you only tried it in a single location (a common mistake). Attics, especially, often have black holes for individual channels.
Yup, that would be my guess as well as...attic installs are temperamental with metal flashing, roof nails and other metal objects around. I've seen no signals, move the antenna a foot further and strong signals...personally I say to always install outside when possible. When it comes to OTA you always want the strongest signal possible to deal with any fade, yearly foliage, etc. Outside installs can be a PITA, but its worth it in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
hdtv antenna , reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page