Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 237 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 11032 Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=chitchatjf]1) I only had ONE line in larger print. It was not at the largest level,it was not in bold,and there was a sile after it. ]

I know you were only kidding, I was also trying to make lite of the issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 11032 Old 06-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

wisdom is gone from the lineup.

International channel is now AZT television ,specializing mostly in Asian programming,some of it in English and uis now part of digital Classic.

Techtv merged for awhile with G4 to become G4techTV. now it is just G4.

at one time Digital platinum included these channels,then you could have then for $4 more.

chit:

If I call Comcast, tell them I'm in Medford, and have Digital Gold (Old), will they be able to tell my, channel by channel, which channels I may lose if I signed up for Digital Platinum in another town? Or is that Premier Pack info so out-of-date, and I really won't lose any?

Thanks.
post #7083 of 11032 Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one excited that NESN-HD seems to have stopped stretching HD content !!! hooray !! Now if we can get TNT-HD to do the same !!

-ken
post #7084 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg View Post

chit:

If I call Comcast, tell them I'm in Medford, and have Digital Gold (Old), will they be able to tell my, channel by channel, which channels I may lose if I signed up for Digital Platinum in another town? Or is that Premier Pack info so out-of-date, and I really won't lose any?

Thanks.

The Premiere pack seems to be available ONLY A-la carte now.

TCM,Oxygen,Bloomberg,Speed channel,Outdoor channel,Fox soccor,NBA TV,Celticvision,Fuse,BET on Jazz,and Fox Movie channel is its current lineup.

I have been told that grandfasthers packages so NOT get new channels as they are added and change packages.
For example Flix is now on Digital classic
post #7085 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Chitchat is correct, I have Digital Bronze and I did not get FLIX when it moved to Digital Classic.
post #7086 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 11:32 AM

I currently have Dish Network with their top60 package and international package.. and own a HD811 box as well as their 511 PVR box. I have an antenna in my attic for local HD and I am paying $36 (including $5 for PVR access and $5 for additional receiver) per month.

With the recent rains, my local reception via attic antenna was affected all the time.. and i watch only local HD and international channels all the time. so if i want to switch to comcast what is the best option for me ? they have the $25 off - but they claim i have to subscribe to digital plus for $69.95 with HD-PVR for a final total of $44.95 for 16 months.. provided the tech comes and verifies that i don't receive any basic channels via my dish. I can't give up the dish itself since i will continue to have international programming thru them.

oh! i do have comcast for internet.. so i checked to see if i receive local channels currently.. no such luck. i think they have put a filter at the junction box.

any suggestions for cheap HD coverage ?
someone said they get broadcast basic + HD with DVR for $25. is that possible ?
from an earlier posting, someone said , you can add movie channels to this package also.
but i presume, i can't get dish buy-back discount for such programming options.
any suggestions/comments ?

thanks.
post #7087 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-geek View Post

I currently have Dish Network with their top60 package and international package.. and own a HD811 box as well as their 511 PVR box. I have an antenna in my attic for local HD and I am paying $36 (including $5 for PVR access and $5 for additional receiver) per month.

With the recent rains, my local reception via attic antenna was affected all the time.. and i watch only local HD and international channels all the time. so if i want to switch to comcast what is the best option for me ? they have the $25 off - but they claim i have to subscribe to digital plus for $69.95 with HD-PVR for a final total of $44.95 for 16 months.. provided the tech comes and verifies that i don't receive any basic channels via my dish. I can't give up the dish itself since i will continue to have international programming thru them.

oh! i do have comcast for internet.. so i checked to see if i receive local channels currently.. no such luck. i think they have put a filter at the junction box.

any suggestions for cheap HD coverage ?
someone said they get broadcast basic + HD with DVR for $25. is that possible ?
from an earlier posting, someone said , you can add movie channels to this package also.
but i presume, i can't get dish buy-back discount for such programming options.
any suggestions/comments ?

thanks.

Dish buy back programs are intended for those SWITCHING and require the purchase of standard service.

HD versions of local broadcast channels are considered PART of BROADCAST BASIC!
The Boston area offers HD feeds of ALL the broadcast networks (ABC,CBS,Fox,NBC,PBS,UPN and WB!)
If you have a QAM tuner ,you do not even need a box.
You can get any DIGITAL cable programming package WithOUT having to purchase the full Standard service, AND you would save $15 a month on your Internet service as well.

Yes,you CAN GET digital Platinum withOUT having to get Extended basic.

CALL The comcast office.
post #7088 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Anyone brave enough to sign up for Comcast phone service? Do they know how to hook it up and is the service any good? They want another $39/month which is cheaper than the $80 I pay to verizon but more than vonage.

Ralph

DLP and LCD fan
post #7089 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Is VOIP available now around boston? I know my inlaws in Southwick could get it a few months ago. I think I'll try it out. From my understanding, the comcast solution has deciated bandwidth to keep the quality high, even if you are abusing your internet at the same time. I could be completely off on that though.

Perhaps one of the Comcast folks could ellaborate.

Chris

PS - sorry about this misspellings....
post #7090 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Dish buy back programs are intended for those SWITCHING and require the purchase of standard service.

HD versions of local broadcast channels are considered PART of BROADCAST BASIC!
The Boston area offers HD feeds of ALL the broadcast networks (ABC,CBS,Fox,NBC,PBS,UPN and WB!)
If you have a QAM tuner ,you do not even need a box.

Sure I have a Sony HD with the tuner. More often than not I cannot watch anything. PBS-HD is usually bad, 4, 5, 7, FOX are good, but in the past few days FOX has gone bad (pixelization, drop sognal, etc.) I wonder if a Comcast box would solve the problem?
post #7091 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hometheater View Post

Anyone brave enough to sign up for Comcast phone service? Do they know how to hook it up and is the service any good? They want another $39/month which is cheaper than the $80 I pay to verizon but more than vonage.

Ralph

I have been using Vonage for around 6 months now. This uses the Comcast broadband pipe. I have had no quality problems at all. And I think it is about $25/29 (I forget) per month unlimited. My only problem happened when my power went out, and lost telephone service as well. That is when your cell phone comes in handy.

Mickey
post #7092 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know where I can get current, accurate information as to what channels are offered in each of Comcast's packages? When I went onto their website, it said that TechTV was only part of the Premier Pack. TechTV merged with G4, but the channel is now just G4. So, is it part of the Premier Pack or something else?

I also had a brochure that Comcast sent out in January 2005 listing price changes beginning that month. It listed the Premier Pack (but with different channels than on Comcast's website), and it also listed the Sports Pack, which has about 6-7 channels. However, there is no mention of the Sports Pack on Comcast's website.

I may be moving later this Summer around the area (I am in Medford now), and I currently have Digital Gold (Old). I may switch to Digital Platinum since Comcast said it's $7/month more. But, I'd like to know all the channels I will be getting and what channels come in which package.

Do I need to swing by a Comcast office and pick up a June 2005 pricing brochure that will detail all packages and all channels? Is that the most accurate way?
post #7093 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ralph

Many comcast/ATT cities have landline service which for me is much cheaper then their VOIP.
post #7094 of 11032 Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know where I can get current, accurate information as to what channels are offered in each of Comcast's packages? When I went onto their website, it said that TechTV was only part of the Premier Pack. TechTV merged with G4, but the channel is now just G4. So, is it part of the Premier Pack or something else?

I also had a brochure that Comcast sent out in January 2005 listing price changes beginning that month. It listed the Premier Pack (but with different channels than on Comcast's website), and it also listed the Sports Pack, which has about 6-7 channels. However, there is no mention of the Sports Pack on Comcast's website.

I may be moving later this Summer around the area (I am in Medford now), and I currently have Digital Gold (Old). I may switch to Digital Platinum since Comcast said it's $7/month more. But, I'd like to know all the channels I will be getting and what channels come in which package.

Do I need to swing by a Comcast office and pick up a June 2005 pricing brochure that will detail all packages and all channels? Is that the most accurate way?

TechTv is gone. G4 is on channel 219,is part of digital classic,and has no tech news programming. (other then video games)

Flix is part of digital classic and is on channels 202 and 366.

I believe the premiere pack is only avaoilable a-la-carte. I have gien a listing of its current lineup in an earlier message.

Here is the lineup for Digital platinum including HD channels!

201 Sundance Channel
202 Flix
203 Encore Action
204 Encore Love
205 Encore Mystery
206 Encore Drama
207 Encore Westerns
209 GBH World*
210 National Geographic
211 Style
212 IFC- Independent Film channel
214 TVOne
215 WE
217 GBX Kids*
219 G4
220 Nick toons
221 Discovery Kids
222 Toon disney
223 Noggin / the N
224 Nick GAS
225 Encore WAM!
226 Discovery Health
227 Science channel
228 Nick west
229 Trinity
230 Fit TV
231 Inspirational Life
233 Discovery Home and Leisure
234 JWLTV -Shopping
235 Black Family channel
236 Word gospel
237 GBH Create*
238 EWTN fulltime
239 fine living
240 DIY
241 BBC America
242 History Int
243 Biography
245 Weatherscan
248 ESPNews
251 AZT Television
252 Discovery Times
253 Milirtary channel
265 NFL Network
270 Lifetime movie Network
272 MTV hits
273 MTV2
275 VH1Soul
276 VH1country
277 VH1 Classic
279 GAC
280 MTV Jams
301 HBO analog
302 HBO 2
303 HBO Signature
304 HBO Family
305 HBO Comedy
306 HBO Zone
307 HBO Latino
321 Starz analog
322 Starz Edge
323 Starz in Black
324 Starz! kidz and family
325 Starz! Cinema
326 Encore
327 Starz Comedy
341 Cinemax analog
342 Moremax
343 Actionmax
344 Thrillermax
361 Showtime analog
362 Showtime Too
363 SHOwcase
364 Showtime eXtreme
365 Showtime Beyond
381 TMC
382 the movie channel Xtra
711 MTV espanol
802 PBS HD*
804 WBZ - DT*
805 WCVB - DT*
807 WHDH - DT*
825 WFXT - DT*
833 TNT-HD
838 WSBK DT*
839 Discovery HD Theatre
849 ESPN - HD
856 WLVI DT*
868 Cinemax HD
870 HBO HD
875 Starz HD
877 Showtime HD
881 INHD1
882 INHD2 / NESN HD / FSNE HD

* channels are part of the basic broadcast service.
post #7095 of 11032 Old 06-15-2005, 07:56 AM

thanks. looks like currently Dish is having a promotion for $50 back for HBO/Showtime if u subscribe to those two for 3 months ($23/month). so I will consider switching to comcast after 3 months.. hopefully they will have the TIVO boxes out by then.

Comcast told me that since i already have internet service with them..($61/month),
if i add broadcast channels, my bill will come down to $59/month.. and i will have a
backup to dish. they waived the installation fee - i presume they will send someone
to remove the filter at the junction box outside my house. nothing to lose.. so i agreed to this plan for now.

Now, i am curious. Since u said comcast will send the HD signal for the local channels also to me .. will the Dish 811 box be able to tune/receive the HD signals also ?
if so.. that would be the perfect setup for me ;-)
maybe this is a question for a dish forum ? so sorry in advance, if this is not appropriate here. please point me to the right forum.

thanks.
post #7096 of 11032 Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-geek View Post

thanks. looks like currently Dish is having a promotion for $50 back for HBO/Showtime if u subscribe to those two for 3 months ($23/month). so I will consider switching to comcast after 3 months.. hopefully they will have the TIVO boxes out by then.

Comcast told me that since i already have internet service with them..($61/month),
if i add broadcast channels, my bill will come down to $59/month.. and i will have a
backup to dish. they waived the installation fee - i presume they will send someone
to remove the filter at the junction box outside my house. nothing to lose.. so i agreed to this plan for now.

Now, i am curious. Since u said comcast will send the HD signal for the local channels also to me .. will the Dish 811 box be able to tune/receive the HD signals also ?
if so.. that would be the perfect setup for me ;-)
maybe this is a question for a dish forum ? so sorry in advance, if this is not appropriate here. please point me to the right forum.

thanks.

The dish 811 seems to be an ATSC only box as Satillte provider don't want to dabble in cable digital (QAM)

I fit did then YES you would get hD locals.
post #7097 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On 6/9, I switched from Verizon ($72.00) to Comcast ($40.00 first 12 months / $48.00 after that). The product seems at least as good as Verizon, and they ran new cable to my house during the install.

Quote:

Do I need to swing by a Comcast office and pick up a June 2005 pricing brochure that will detail all packages and all channels?

I did this, but the ones at the office (Salem, MA) were also from 1/5!
post #7098 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Am I the only one excited that NESN-HD seems to have stopped stretching HD content !!! hooray !! Now if we can get TNT-HD to do the same !!

-ken

No your not the only one. I was just waiting to see if it was more than a one time thing. I'm sure AVIC is also pleased, he took this up with them several times.
post #7099 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 10:47 AM

For those remaining Comcasters or others in the know (those still here)...

I would love to hear about progress/dates/information on the following:

- ADS - how is the rollout going? When might be begin to see a complete analog lineup conversion? Given the recent slowness of visible progress (people reporting more channels), has there been an issue? Strategy change? I know anyone with a Digital TV and/or a 6412 DVR would love to hear the latest.

- 6412 Firmware update. I have come to understand from other forums there is a 9.17 firmware. Last I checked, I still had 9.15. I honestly don't know what's in this firmware release, can anyone articulate? What would slow the rollout of that firmware (other than busy with other higher priority stuff)?

- iGuide Improvements. I like what we have. It is functional and does what I need. But, I also had a Tivo (couldn't do HD, so has been sunset), so I know what is possible. Has iGuide advancement been tabled as the Tivo stuff gets integrated?

John

John R Sheldon
post #7100 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

back from vaca!

ken: i'll take some credit for it after talking the guy calling the shots over at NESN to death. hopefully he wont change his mind again.

ADS is rolling along, some bugs have slowed things down, looking at the end of July/early Aug for full ADS completion.

Watch for ESPN 2 HD and Disney HD coming soon... with a possible 3rd surprise HD channel.
post #7101 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Normally, I don't like surprises, but I think I'll make an exception for this one.

Thanks for the update and hints, avic!

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7102 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avic View Post

back from vaca!
Watch for ESPN 2 HD and Disney HD coming soon... with a possible 3rd surprise HD channel.

The only other missing HD channels that come to mind are HDNET and Bravo/Universal. Any other speculation?

Thanks for the info Avic!
post #7103 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Avic, could that third HD channel be HDNet/HDNet Movies? Or perhaps its a combination of some of the Voom HD channels, which would be sweet.
post #7104 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Wow. Disney HD. Kids will love it. Does it show the same programs as the SD one or it has its own HD contents?

Wait. Now the kids will be fighting for the TV time even more. Not sure it's a good thing.
post #7105 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avic View Post

back from vaca!

ken: i'll take some credit for it after talking the guy calling the shots over at NESN to death. hopefully he wont change his mind again.

ADS is rolling along, some bugs have slowed things down, looking at the end of July/early Aug for full ADS completion.

850 for ESPN2 HD

824 for Disney HD
post #7106 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScogland View Post

I did this, but the ones at the office (Salem, MA) were also from 1/5!

If you are reffing to prices and packages,the 1/5 listing will most likely be accurate.
post #7107 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Disney HD ? I didn't know it existed. What content does it have ? Is it Disney movies like Nemo, Monster Inc, Incredibles, etc or is it Thats So Raven & Lizzy McGuire ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7108 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone with cable card here ? If I have a CC and a STB do I get charge the $2 replication fee ? How much does a CC cost, it is a rental fee right ?

post #7109 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozens View Post

Anyone with cable card here ? If I have a CC and a STB do I get charge the $2 replication fee ? How much does a CC cost, it is a rental fee right ?

The first CC is free. But you need to pay for installation. I think it's $14.
post #7110 of 11032 Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenju View Post

Wow. Disney HD. Kids will love it. Does it show the same programs as the SD one or it has its own HD contents?

Wait. Now the kids will be fighting for the TV time even more. Not sure it's a good thing.

Get a second HDTV, thats what I did so I know I'll always be able to watch what I want in HD
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page