Dayton, Ohio Cable update from TWC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a very detailed response from the Vice President of Marketing at TWC. I had written a few weeks ago inquiring about the status of new HD channels. Here is a brief summary.

Currently they are broadcasting HBO, SHO, NBC and FOX.

Says they have an agreement in place for local PBS stations, but the stations are not yet "technically ready to transmit HD"

WHIO and WDTN are being negotiated at the national level , negotiations are taking longer than TWC would prefer.

HDNET and Discovery HD will be on line this year, negotiations are almost complete.

ESPN HD will also be available this year.

They believe HDNET, DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD will all require subscription fees, as they will not be free to TWC.

This response came from Kim Cannon, VP Marketing- TWC Western Ohio

All in All, it is looking good for us TWC HD users, the only question remains, how much is this going to cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Toshman,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I do know that, last I heard, WPTD-DT(PBS Dayton) Plans to be on the Air on May 1, so hopefully, per the info you provided, TWC people will also see them then, or soon afterwards.

You might want to post a link to this thread in the Dayton Thread we are using, So the folks using the Dayton thread will have a better chance to see the info. Here is the link to the Dayton Thread we've been using:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...54#post1907854

Jeff
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks NWM, I posted the link.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the update.

With regard to WHIO and WDTN, I wonder what they meant about being negotiated at the national level? Do they mean ABC and CBS?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wouldn't mind seeing that entire letter.
It seems that anything you can't already get ota will cost extra. That's on top of having to subscribe to basic, pay extra for the digital package, and a monthly charge for the HD STB. This is starting to sound expensive.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 08:56 AM

Hopefully they're not taking their cue from Toledo's Buckeye-Cable. They want 15.95 a month for the box rental plus 7.95 a month for the HDTV package. Then if you want HBO, Showtime or Discovery Channel HD you have to subscribe to their premium content. That's 24.90 a month just to get the locals.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul210
I wouldn't mind seeing that entire letter.
It seems that anything you can't already get ota will cost extra. That's on top of having to subscribe to basic, pay extra for the digital package, and a monthly charge for the HD STB. This is starting to sound expensive.
I agree, one reason I purchased a STB, was to get HD. I figured the TW would drag their feet in offering it, then charge extra for everything. I would like to see the ESPN HD, but I am not going to pay $30 a month to watch it. I only have regular cable (@ $41 per month) rarely watch it anymore.
To receive ESPN HD , I would have to upgrade to digital, rent box, and probably subscribe to a HD package. I figure about another $30 a month.
That would cost about $852 a year.
Since I have been receiving HDTV , I have enjoyed watching tv more in the last 3 months , then the last 10 years with cable. Cost for OTA HD $460, up front , no re-occuring monthly charges.

Jon
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I can see your point with ota, but frankly I'm not interested in much of the pablum that the networks mete out. I'll take HBO and the other premiums sans commercials any day and gladly pay for the privilege.

Sopranos and Six Feet Under in HD = yes

Dan Rather, The Bachelorette and Nike commercials in HD = no
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can see we opened up the flood gates now!

Tosh, I agree with what you're saying to an extent. It's just that the thought of having to pay $80/month for just a few HD channels doesn't seem quite right. Especially compared to what I'm paying now for all the digital channels I can receive--nothing! I'm sure there will come a day when I'll make the jump. But it's hard to swallow, considering everything they're going to offer in HD will be priced a-la-carte. They're including nothing in the base price (HD-wise) that I can't already receive for free.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page