Hauppauge dual tuner and one OTA antenna - problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thechad6

Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hauppauge dual tuner and one OTA antenna - problem

Hello,
We're trying to cut the cable. Got a Hauppauge Dual tuner 2255 in a Windows 7 box. Live in Raleigh, NC so reception should not be a problem.
Used a splitter from the indoor antennae bought from Target.
The 2255 instructions said to use the little daughter card to provide the 2nd tv input.

It had to be connected to the main card via a cable and socket. (It's not displayed in the picture of the 2255 Hauppauge webpage).
Because the other coaxial connector on the main board is for FM! This surprised us.
The daughter card connector is an RCA type connector.
So from the coaxial splitter we ran one to the main board and then used an adapter to fit the other to the daughter card/RCA input.
In Windows Media Center ran the setup and it detected 2 signal inputs - 1 ATSC and 1 QAM.
And prompted us to continue and scan for the channels.
Picked up about 15 channels and picture is clear.

However when we set a recording to start and then use the guide to select another channel to watch - the message came up saying
"All tuners are in use. To change the channel, select the program or recording that you want to stop."

We're not savvy on this ATSC/QAM frontier. We thought we'd be able to record one and watch another - or record both while away, etc...

Please enlighten us on where we went wrong.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
The daughter portion is an A/V IN only. It has nothing to do with the tuners. You shouldn't split the antenna signal to connect to that card at all. Look at the gallery pics on the Hauppauge site. http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2255.html

You only need a single coax from your antenna to plug into your TV IN port (top). There's an internal splitter that provides the dual-tuner capability. Each tuner can pick up both ATSC (clear over-the-air) and QAM (digitial cable). The second coax port is for an FM radio antenna.

I can't help you much on what MC7's problem is or why it won't see both tuners, but the folks over at TheGreenButton http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/ might be able to help. There are some known issues with certain tuners and MC7.

I ditched MC7 for MediaPortal 1 and haven't looked back.
NoReDist likes this.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding! (Hauppauge never did.)

We'll wire it the proper way and try MediaPortal. I'll respond with the results.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

@thechad , You were right about WMC. Our very first attempt just used one input feed to the card and WMC didn't detect both signal sources. Which led us to try the daughter card - although it didn't really make sense.

So back to a single line but this time with MediaPortal - and both input sources were detected and 35 channels were scanned!
Then we were able to record 2 shows simultaneously.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
No problem! Enjoy!

I have mine doing all the DVR functions tool, as well as being able to access the Live TV and DVR recordings from my multiple Kodi (new XBMC) devices. Kodi on a RaspberryPi (OpenELEC), another on a FireTV. Between MediaPortal, Kodi, Plex, and Trakt... I have access to everything I need, on any device I want, anywhere I want it.

theChad
---------------------------
CordCutter - MediaPortal v1, Kodi, Plex, RaspberryPi, FireTV, SmartTV's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2255 , Dual , hauppauge , hdtv , Ota
taboola here