Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4621 of 5036 Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a39a517e2666

Looks like you have line of sight to Albany tower.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 5036 Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
Your TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a39a517e2666

Looks like you have line of sight to Albany tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benway View Post
Greetings All

I've just relocated from LA, CA 90046 to Rhinebeck NY 12572.

I had pretty decent OTA reception/lots of channels in LA

However, I've done a search here and cant find much on what to expect for OTA DTV in the Rhinebeck area.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks!
You are almost 50 miles away. You will need a good VHF/UHF outdoor antenna. And possibly an amp.
I have an old Radio Shack VU-190XR on my vacation home in Middleburgh, and I while I can pick up the Albany stations 20 miles away with no problem, I can also turn my antenna towards Utica and pick up WKTV 52 miles away at 50% signal strength with no amp. So you should get the Albany stations. I would try going to Radio Shack and get a good decent size antenna. If it does not work, you could always return it.
post #4623 of 5036 Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natehieter View Post

Getting close to "cutting the cord"!!!

Speaking of cord cutting, I found an interesting article about that topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/bu...abbitears.html

And some further analysis on cutting the cord.

http://displaydaily.com/2010/12/06/c...-or-imaginary/
post #4624 of 5036 Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Greetings All

I've just relocated from LA, CA 90046 to Rhinebeck NY 12572.

I had pretty decent OTA reception/lots of channels in LA

However, I've done a search here and cant find much on what to expect for OTA DTV in the Rhinebeck area.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks!

These past postings may help ... someone in your area recently asked for advice as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19440557

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19490318
post #4625 of 5036 Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Anyone know if this will be carried by Fox in Albany? I read that it would be carried by Fox in MN and NY. Is it just those 2 affiliates or each team's network of affiliates? DISH Network here so no ST.

Dave
post #4626 of 5036 Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post

Anyone know if this will be carried by Fox in Albany?

My favorite NFL web site says yes.

http://the506.com/sports/?cat=14
post #4627 of 5036 Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

My favorite NFL web site says yes.

http://the506.com/sports/?cat=14

Thanks Tower Guy. Great site BTW.

Dave
post #4628 of 5036 Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 AM

thanks all for the replies. I've almost unearthed the tv/STB from the packing boxes, so will report back.

thanks
post #4629 of 5036 Old 12-16-2010, 04:30 AM

Curious if anyone has info on this...
Yesterday, my GF started watching "Days of our lives" on the DTV satellite, WNYT 13, and the program had the "jitters", delayed frames, very annoying...
I'm home on vacation so I switched over to OTA for her...this show has always been in a SD format via OTA, but yesterday, it was in HD on OTA.
I can often fix the jitters on sat by switching channels or on/off the recever, nothing helped....I wonder if the change for DOOL to HD was causing the issue on sat and also, any info if WNYT has gone fully HD broadcasting locally?
post #4630 of 5036 Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
kb2fzq:
According to several web sources, NBC started feeding DOOL in HD on November 8. WNYT should have been airing it that way since then. All the reasons I can think of that they might not are pretty unlikely. I suppose it's possible that the word never filtered down to Master Control so they just kept taking the SD feed. I don't know how DTV did or does carry the locals: HD, SD or both, but OTA should have been HD when available.

I don't think any station is "fully HD." All can pass through network in HD. Some (all?) can record and play syndicated shows and maybe delay network in HD. AFAIK only WRGB/WCWN can do local origination such as news in HD, and even then it's only the studio shots and maybe clips from HD shows like sports.
post #4631 of 5036 Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 AM

OK..yeah, I would have noticed it before last Monday, if I'm home, I'll switch over to OTA during her DOOL, and Monday was the first day....but she's loving the show in HD...thanks for the info...
post #4632 of 5036 Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Hello all

reporting back on my reception from 12572.

well, my trusty silver sensor/philips, indoor uhf is pulling in abc [26] and pbs wnet [34], but its very directional-- and about 60%.

I can get CW [43] sometimes, but thats very off/on again.

I can only really use an indoor antenna here-- [and the ceiling has been opened up in the livng room, so theres no attic to put one in ]

what indoor antenna recommendations would anyone have please?

[it seems that only CBS is on lo-vhf [6]

thanks for any suggestions/help
post #4633 of 5036 Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Channel 6 is always going to be a problem for an indoor antenna because the antenna needs to be quite large. You could try a twin-lead folded dipole cut for channel 6 from plans here. If it doesn't work, at least it won't have cost you much. It might pull in the high VHF channels too.

A 4- or 8-bay bowtie might improve your UHF reception. Many people mount them indoors, although usually in an attic.

Any antenna should be mounted as far away as possible from people, metal obstructions, etc. No matter what you do, the antenna still has to look through a wall or window. At 50 miles, even LOS, you should put the antenna(s) outside if you possibly can.

If you can get 43 you can get an SD version of WRGB on 43-3. Or wait for them to install a repeater near you on ch. 24.
post #4634 of 5036 Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 AM

thanks for the reply/info

If I can get the rest, Im not really that bothered about CBS.

given that the silver sensor pulls in 2 stations, will something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or this

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

Channel 6 is always going to be a problem for an indoor antenna because the antenna needs to be quite large. You could try a twin-lead folded dipole cut for channel 6 from plans here. If it doesn't work, at least it won't have cost you much. It might pull in the high VHF channels too.

A 4- or 8-bay bowtie might improve your UHF reception. Many people mount them indoors, although usually in an attic.

Any antenna should be mounted as far away as possible from people, metal obstructions, etc. No matter what you do, the antenna still has to look through a wall or window. At 50 miles, even LOS, you should put the antenna(s) outside if you possibly can.

If you can get 43 you can get an SD version of WRGB on 43-3. Or wait for them to install a repeater near you on ch. 24.

post #4635 of 5036 Old 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm about 15 miles south of you in Poughkeepsie, so my reception situation is even more challenging. I think you're going to have a lot of trouble picking up the VHF stations with an indoor antenna. In particular, if I were you, I'd forget about trying to get WRGB-6, since you should soon be able to receive CBS in on WRGB-24 out of Kingston. Having said that, a lot of people have had success using the Antenna's Direct Clearstream-2 as an indoor UHV antenna. It does have some gain for VHF-hi (7-13), but I wouldn't count on it being much better than rabbit ears for those channels.

I have the Clearstream-4, the big brother of the Clearstream-2, mounted in my attic and I am able to get all of the Albany UHF stations quite well. WCWN-43 can be problematic, but they are planning some antenna modifications in the near future that should rectify this situation

As for VHF-hi, if you can manage an outdoor antenna, I can recommend the Winegard YA-1713 which works pretty well in my attic. Good Luck!
post #4636 of 5036 Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 AM

thanks for the reply/info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiChemE View Post
I'm about 15 miles south of you in Poughkeepsie, so my reception situation is even more challenging. I think you're going to have a lot of trouble picking up the VHF stations with an indoor antenna. In particular, if I were you, I'd forget about trying to get WRGB-6, since you should soon be able to receive CBS in on WRGB-24 out of Kingston. Having said that, a lot of people have had success using the Antenna's Direct Clearstream-2 as an indoor UHV antenna. It does have some gain for VHF-hi (7-13), but I wouldn't count on it being much better than rabbit ears for those channels.

I have the Clearstream-4, the big brother of the Clearstream-2, mounted in my attic and I am able to get all of the Albany UHF stations quite well. WCWN-43 can be problematic, but they are planning some antenna modifications in the near future that should rectify this situation

As for VHF-hi, if you can manage an outdoor antenna, I can recommend the Winegard YA-1713 which works pretty well in my attic. Good Luck!
post #4637 of 5036 Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Benray,

I live in Rhinebeck. I have a small ratshack uhf yagi in my attic with an antenna amp. It gets ABC, NBC, FOX, and PBS from Albany just fine. CBS is weak, but works most of the time. I live at the top of a hill, so reception may be better here than where you live. I also have a small circular loop on and old TV with an ATSC receiver box. That gets the UHF signals OK inside the house, but not CBS or FOX (6 and 7).

I am in the process of putting in a Clearstream C5 for the VHF channels.(Also in the attic).
post #4638 of 5036 Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM

thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtinkerer View Post

Benray,

I live in Rhinebeck. I have a small ratshack uhf yagi in my attic with an antenna amp. It gets ABC, NBC, FOX, and PBS from Albany just fine. CBS is weak, but works most of the time. I live at the top of a hill, so reception may be better here than where you live. I also have a small circular loop on and old TV with an ATSC receiver box. That gets the UHF signals OK inside the house, but not CBS or FOX (6 and 7).

I am in the process of putting in a Clearstream C5 for the VHF channels.(Also in the attic).

post #4639 of 5036 Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Hello all

reporting back on my reception from 12572.

well, my trusty silver sensor/philips, indoor uhf is pulling in abc [26] and pbs wnet [34], but its very directional-- and about 60%.

I can get CW [43] sometimes, but thats very off/on again.

I can only really use an indoor antenna here-- [and the ceiling has been opened up in the livng room, so theres no attic to put one in ]

what indoor antenna recommendations would anyone have please?

[it seems that only CBS is on lo-vhf [6]

thanks for any suggestions/help

If you can manage to get a stable signal on WCWN 43, WRGB 6 is re-broadcast on rf chan 45-3.....in standard def....
post #4640 of 5036 Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM

For some reason I am getting CW15 at about 30 % SS this morning. Staying on rock solid too. Only at 2 TV's though and my DISH Net boxes won't scan it either. Usually not even a whiff on that channel for me.

Dave
post #4641 of 5036 Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM

thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post

If you can manage to get a stable signal on WCWN 43, WRGB 6 is re-broadcast on rf chan 45-3.....in standard def....

post #4642 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:

given that the silver sensor pulls in 2 stations, will something like this work?

I'm actually using that Winegard HD-1080 outside. It's not on the roof (no more antennas on the roof since storm damage demolished the rooftop antennas last summer) - but instead mounted on a five foot mast driven into the ground.

The same 2 stations you get with the silver sensor (WTEN, WMHT) are quite solid here in Poughkeepsie with the HD-1080. WCWN was coming in almost reliable during the summer, but then spotty in autumn. Since November, it doesn't come in at all. WNYT sometimes came in solid during the summer as well, but I attribute that to tropo ducting. Now I'm just below the threshold for WNYT on the signal meter since I frequently see pixelation when it does come in. You might have better luck than me since Rhinebeck is closer to Albany, but I've found UHF to be what I expected and VHF-Hi to be disappointing with the HD-1080 antenna.

How did things work out picking an antenna for use indoors in Rhinebeck? I'm curious since I am further down the river from you in Poughkeepsie. When I had a Terk HDTVa indoor antenna, WCWN was the most problematic of UHF signals from Albany. I'm also curious what you ended up doing for VHF reception indoors. I envy those TV markets that are UHF only and indoor antenna friendly.
post #4643 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM

edit-- posted while you were posting! thanks for the info

I havent got an antenna yet, just been using the silver sensor-- so no vhf. I also got a Roku, so its not been so urgent.

reception with the SS is very atmospheric/weather dependent. its also very directional.

what albany stations were you able to get with the Terk-- how stable were they?

I will prob try the winegard HD30 indoor antenna soon

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousCat View Post

How did things work out picking an antenna for use indoors in Rhinebeck? I'm curious since I am further down the river from you in Poughkeepsie. When I had a Terk HDTVa indoor antenna, WCWN was the most problematic of UHF signals from Albany. I'm also curious what you ended up doing for VHF reception indoors. I envy those TV markets that are UHF only and indoor antenna friendly.

post #4644 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM

The Terk HDTVa is a pretty good amplified indoor antenna, and I'm 67 miles away from the Helderberg antenna farm. It's quite amazing that I could pick up anything here in Poughkeepsie using an indoor antenna.

WMHT came in the strongest on that antenna (reliable, solid signal with no dropouts), followed by WTEN. WTEN was stronger in the summer for some strange reason on that antenna and would sometimes drop out in the winter. WCWN was downright unpredictable with that antenna. Some days WCWN was solid but most of the days I'd get no signal at all. No VHF stations came in using that antenna with the rabbit ears extended. I don't regret buying that Terk antenna - got it for $33 as a open box item at Best Buy (obviously someone else who had the antenna was disappointed in it, but I assume the person who returned it probably chose the wrong antenna for their area).
post #4645 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM

thanks for the info

Ive also noticed that reception is much better at night .

I'll prob try that winegard and post back here with the results.

Quote:

The Terk HDTVa is a pretty good amplified indoor antenna, and I'm 67 miles away from the Helderberg antenna farm. It's quite amazing that I could pick up anything here in Poughkeepsie using an indoor antenna.

WMHT came in the strongest on that antenna (reliable, solid signal with no dropouts), followed by WTEN. WTEN was stronger in the summer for some strange reason on that antenna and would sometimes drop out in the winter. WCWN was downright unpredictable with that antenna. Some days WCWN was solid but most of the days I'd get no signal at all. No VHF stations came in using that antenna with the rabbit ears extended. I don't regret buying that Terk antenna - got it for $33 as a open box item at Best Buy (obviously someone else who had the antenna was disappointed in it, but I assume the person who returned it probably chose the wrong antenna for their area).

post #4646 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Ive also noticed that reception is much better at night .

I noticed that too (mostly in the warmer months). I think when I mentioned it in one of my postings a few months ago, someone chimed in that it may have to do with tropospheric ducting.

Quote:

I'll prob try that winegard and post back here with the results.

Here's a picture of the Winegard HD-1080 that I have outside. The antenna is bigger than it looks, so make sure you can fit it indoors.
LL
post #4647 of 5036 Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM

thanks for the info

sorry, I meant the winegard HD30 I mentioned earlier, which is a lot smaller than the 1080

Quote:

I noticed that too (mostly in the warmer months). I think when I mentioned it in one of my postings a few months ago, someone chimed in that it may have to do with tropospheric ducting.

Here's a picture of the Winegard HD-1080 that I have outside. The antenna is bigger than it looks, so make sure you can fit it indoors.

post #4648 of 5036 Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Are the WRGB forums dead? I have a link to the DTV forum but for the past couple of weeks or so it takes me to a minimal page titled "Publish Your Stuff" with several links including Forums, but when I select that it just returns me to the same page. I see no mention of forums on their main page.
post #4649 of 5036 Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Are the WRGB forums dead?

Unfortunately, yes. The deal that Freedom had with Pluck expired. HQ opted not to renew.
post #4650 of 5036 Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are the WRGB forums dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Fred View Post

Unfortunately, yes. The deal that Freedom had with Pluck expired. HQ opted not to renew.

That's a shame. You helped a lot of people to receive WRGB (and sometimes other stations) better through that forum and kept us informed of changes such as power increases, status of repeater applications, etc. It's the sort of information every station should make available on its web site but AFAIK only WRGB did. I hope you'll continue to provide such help here or elsewhere (and if elsewhere, please let us know where).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page