Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 159 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4741 of 5028 Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I check WTEN 10-2 all the time for my weather.
I ride a bike so I need to know.
Don't use 13-2 but, would not like to see 10-2 go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 5028 Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Yeah

Me is great. Maybe 13 will move their weather to .3. They are the only one with live updates on Sun morning. Another channel may be coming, though I don't when or where - pb&j.

Edit it looks like me is coming to 13.3
post #4743 of 5028 Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM

If you go to me-tv website and put in your zipcode - if tells you it is coming soon to wnyt.
post #4744 of 5028 Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL1965 View Post

Actually, the disappearance of weather (sub)channels from the airwaves has been going on for some time because such channels have had extremely low, if any, viewership.

That is not the main reason for the disapperance of these channels. The FCC enacted a rule that required all sub channels carry the same "childrens programming" requirement than the main channels carry, and must be independent programming. IOW, you can't just simulcast what you air on your main , on your sub. After the FCC made this ruling, weather channels started disappearing all over.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #4745 of 5028 Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Does any one know what is going on with WMHT? Its signal has been very iffy over the last week.
post #4746 of 5028 Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Does anyone get WFNY 48 out of Gloversville - does it actually exist? It is listed on the my family tv site as an affiliate:

http://www.myfamilytv.tv/affiliate_map.htm
post #4747 of 5028 Old 06-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Does anyone get WFNY 48 out of Gloversville - does it actually exist? It is listed on the my family tv site as an affiliate:

http://www.myfamilytv.tv/affiliate_map.htm
Yes I think it does exist. I mean using my HDHomerun configuration program I do get some signal on 48. However I must be getting a lot of multipath as I cannot lock it in to actually see the video. My antennas are either pointed to Albany or Utica so that is probably why. Same thing with ION out of Amsterdam, but I haven't cared enough about either station to worry about it.

I can look into further if it would be helpful.
post #4748 of 5028 Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 PM

I reconfigured my antennas Saturday and everything seemed fine then, but yesterday and today, I can't reliably get ch 23 WXXA. Is anyone else having problems, or did I mess something up? It's the only channel that's giving me trouble, and I'm even getting ch 45 now, where it was always a bit shaky.

LD
post #4749 of 5028 Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post
Yes I think it does exist. I mean using my HDHomerun configuration program I do get some signal on 48. However I must be getting a lot of multipath as I cannot lock it in to actually see the video. My antennas are either pointed to Albany or Utica so that is probably why. Same thing with ION out of Amsterdam, but I haven't cared enough about either station to worry about it.

I can look into further if it would be helpful.
Thanks for the info

I was looking at it because PBJ may be added there - there is no way I can get it in the Berkshires, I then started researching WFNY ans could not find any information about it.
post #4750 of 5028 Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for the info

I was looking at it because PBJ may be added there - there is no way I can get it in the Berkshires, I then started researching WFNY ans could not find any information about it.

It must not be a powerful signal. On my tvfool report it is 3rd from the bottom of the list @43 miles away.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...001bb95db33efa
post #4751 of 5028 Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Here's the station's website, including a map of its coverage area http://www.am1440wfny.bizz.cc/ (warning: it looks like a 13-year-old made the site in 1998 using Geocities). 1440AM is a radio station owned by the same guy. The site is about both the TV and radio stations.

I don't see anything about their programming on the site other than this: "WFNY-CA provides viewers with informative and entertaining shows, public service boards and overnights, a simulcast of WFNY-AM."
post #4752 of 5028 Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM

I have been having a heck of a time trying to pull in WNYA 51-1 in on my rooftop antenna in Ballston Spa lately. Prior to about a month ago it was about 40-50% SS with hardly any problems. Last weeks Yankee game kept dropping out and I can hardly get a signal at all today. Anyone else having any issues?
post #4753 of 5028 Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J View Post

Here's the station's website, including a map of its coverage area http://www.am1440wfny.bizz.cc/ (warning: it looks like a 13-year-old made the site in 1998 using Geocities). 1440AM is a radio station owned by the same guy. The site is about both the TV and radio stations.

I don't see anything about their programming on the site other than this: "WFNY-CA provides viewers with informative and entertaining shows, public service boards and overnights, a simulcast of WFNY-AM."

Thanks.
post #4754 of 5028 Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbaseball22 View Post

I have been having a heck of a time trying to pull in WNYA 51-1 in on my rooftop antenna in Ballston Spa lately. Prior to about a month ago it was about 40-50% SS with hardly any problems. Last weeks Yankee game kept dropping out and I can hardly get a signal at all today. Anyone else having any issues?

I have noticed issues with all the VHF stations over the past week or so. I get drop outs and then the station is fine. This morning my problem was with WYNT while watching Today, now it is fine
post #4755 of 5028 Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Remember everyone....it's summer....tropospheric ducting will effect VHF channels this time of year.....it's probably not you...it's Mother Nature...
post #4756 of 5028 Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM

UHF also seems to be affected by weather. All winter and early Spring I get WGGB in Springfield - no problem at all, Then during the summer, the signal completely disappears. On the other hand during summer I can get WKTV in Utica for hours at a time. Consistently, for reasons I do not understand, I get WUNI out of Worcester for several hours each day year round. During noreasters I can get WGBY? (channel 57, rf 22) from Springfield.

I am unfortunately on the flight path for the Pittsfield airport and there has been a lot of copter and plane activity lately causing problems with my antenna reception.
post #4757 of 5028 Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just went up to my place in Middleburgh for the first time this year. Thankfully, my Radio Shack VU-190 XR antenna and Archer rotor survived another harsh winter.

I noticed all channels still coming in strong, with the exception of 51.1 which I can't seem to get a blip of.
post #4758 of 5028 Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM

It looks like WNYT will be launching Me-TV in the next month or so, if Time Warner Cable's latest legal notification is right:
Quote:

WNYT NC 13 Now to be deleted from channel 556 and WNYT MeTV to be added to channel 556 on or about August 15, 2011

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Media.../legal_alb.pdf
post #4759 of 5028 Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J View Post

It looks like WNYT will be launching Me-TV in the next month or so, if Time Warner Cable's latest legal notification is right:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Media.../legal_alb.pdf

Just saw an ad on wynt - me tv will start July 28th on 13.2. Wonder if me two is coming 13.3. pb&j would be nice also.
post #4760 of 5028 Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM

I use the radar on 13.3, hope it stays.
post #4761 of 5028 Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hound View Post

I use the radar on 13.3, hope it stays.

Let them know that. Viewer feedback is invaluable.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #4762 of 5028 Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 PM

I don't know if the recent heat wave was the reason, but the channel 24 WRGB translator seemed to be off the air the last few days. It's back on, as of now.

I really like it.

I just wish "This TV" was on its 45-2 subchannel, rather than Universal Sports. That is, I wish the second subchannel of WRGB and WCWN were swapped. As WCWN is used as the source for a couple of the WRGB regional translators, I would have liked to see the more "mainstream" "This". Or am I biased towards classic TV more than the general population?!

My reception is very good with channel 24, using a bow-tie antenna. But I do live almost within sight of the transmitter (about one hill over!).

Thanks very much to WRGB and Chief Fred for providing this service.
post #4763 of 5028 Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM

me tv is now on 13.2 and weather nc-13 now is on 13.3
post #4764 of 5028 Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGNVMN View Post

I don't know if the recent heat wave was the reason, but the channel 24 WRGB translator seemed to be off the air the last few days. It's back on, as of now.

I just wish "This TV" was on its 45-2 subchannel, rather than Universal Sports. That is, I wish the second subchannel of WRGB and WCWN were swapped. As WCWN is used as the source for a couple of the WRGB regional translators, I would have liked to see the more "mainstream" "This". Or am I biased towards classic TV more than the general population?!

Thanks very much to WRGB and Chief Fred for providing this service.

Thanks for the report.

Sorry that Chief Fred can't respond. His account was deleted by a moderator. The AVS Forum does not allow dual identities. Fred opted to retain his private account.

Yes, the transmitter tripped on overtemp. When it cooled down at night the transmitter would pop on again. One of the two cooling fans had failed. The air filters also needed cleaning.

In addition, there has been sporadic interference on the input signal from WCWN whenever the atmospheric conditions were favorable. We suspect interference from WFFF, channel 43 in Burlington VT. There is a new receive antenna in Kingston that is intended to reduce the problem significantly. It is a pair of Antennas Direct C-2 antennas mounted 29" apart, the optimum distance to place a null on Mt. Mansfield.

We would replace "Universal Sports" with "This TV" if it were cost effective to do so, but unfortunately, it's not.
post #4765 of 5028 Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 AM

HDTVExpert.com has a review of a nifty little USB tuner. It allows you to watch the new Mobile Digital TV broadcasts. Great if you have a laptop and the power is out.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1344
post #4766 of 5028 Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Really glad the channel 24 WRGB translator is back on the air! It's the only TV we've had all week in the Rosendale, NY area (no update from TW Cable as to when they'll be back). I just wish Tivo had them listed in their program guide, the other over the air channels in the area are listed.
post #4767 of 5028 Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Liked: 13
A couple of our customers, including our own showroom, have experienced an extremely weak signal (terrestrial) from WNYT 13-1 over the past month. No other stations are causing any problems. Some minor tweaking and their using Time Warner for NBC, so we're just curious if anyone else has experienced an issue with WNYT's terrestrial signal recently?

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #4768 of 5028 Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
CriticalListener:
I can't get WNYT (RF 12) at all on my HDHomeRun tuners. Signal strength is OK but signal quality bounces wildly and symbol quality rarely moves off 0%. I'm about 10 miles from the Community Tower using an attic antenna system, no amp, with splitters feeding several tuners around the house including a MyHD card and a Vizio TV, both of which get WNYT without problem. Splitter attenuation is about 14 dB to each of them. All of the tuners including the HDHRs can get the other stations on the hill well.

I tried plain rabbit ears with a loop directly to one HDHR tuner and got higher signal strength looking out a ground floor window but no better reception.

I was able to get WNYT's repeater on RF 18 with the rabbit ears in a window facing that direction. Weaker, but a good lock. You're in Valatie so you might want to try for that repeater, about 25 miles north of you.

WNYT could have a problem with their main feed that doesn't affect the repeater, or it could be multipath (unlikely, since it apparently affects a wide area) or even tropospheric ducting. Whatever is causing it, it affects some tuners more than others.
post #4769 of 5028 Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

I checked WNYT (RF 12) again this morning and it's back to what I'm used to: Signal strength 83%, signal quality 85-100%, symbol quality 100%. Symbol quality drops to 0% momentarily and the picture pixelates every 30-32 seconds but it's always done that on this channel with the HDHR tuners. Other tuners are unaffected and the HDHRs don't have a problem with the RF 18 repeater when I point an antenna at it. I've never figured out what causes it. I also have FiOS TV so I usually get WNYT from there.
post #4770 of 5028 Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

And of course, just as soon as I had posted the previous message WNYT went back to unreceivable. Maybe they're working on it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page