Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4831 of 5036 Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only digital TV coming off West Mountain at this time is WNCE RF 31, which shows "Look-TV" Channel 8 from Glens Falls, and a "Hole In The Woods" informercial on 8-2. 8-3 has video from 8-1 but no audio, and 8-4 is just a color bar test-pattern.

Is anyone in Saratoga or south of there receiving this channel? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5036 Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Same here W. I wonder why WRGB pulled the plug on it so quickly. Perhaps something went bad up there and they just can't get up there to fix it. Would be nice if they would drop a note to let us know. Frustrating not getting the channel after getting the channel after so long not being able to get the channel. Oh well.

Dave
post #4833 of 5036 Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post

Same here W. I wonder why WRGB pulled the plug on it so quickly. Perhaps something went bad up there and they just can't get up there to fix it. Would be nice if they would drop a note to let us know. Frustrating not getting the channel after getting the channel after so long not being able to get the channel. Oh well.

My guess and this is only my speculation is that the transmitter was licensed to WRGB and it was broadcasting channel 45, and the FCC said no - you need to broadcast channel 6. I know that 6 has a microwave receive site for their live trucks on JP, so they must have provisions to repair problems there. It is also possible that the transmitter went bad and economics is forcing them not to replace it or delaying its replacement.
post #4834 of 5036 Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm in Schenectady. Does anyone have a recommendation for an antenna installer?
post #4835 of 5036 Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post

Same here W. I wonder why WRGB pulled the plug on it so quickly.

The plug wasn't pulled intentionally. The transmitter failed, only half the antenna was operational, plus staffing issues, holidays, and Chief Fred's retirement have interfered with the repair.
post #4836 of 5036 Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGB EngDept View Post

The plug wasn't pulled intentionally. The transmitter failed, only half the antenna was operational, plus staffing issues, holidays, and Chief Fred's retirement have interfered with the repair.

All understandable and we do appreciate the heads up. Congrats to Chief Fred on his retirement, but no doubt he will be greatly missed. I'm just across the street so if you need a hand...

Dave
post #4837 of 5036 Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 AM

David in Troy here: WBYN 14.1-14.6 from Wyndam has not been mentioned. They apparently started up in November. Dan the manager was receptive to my comments regarding reception. Interesting, my Samsung set top box receives it at a 6 of 10 signal. The audio is only intermittent. Utica comes in at a 2 of 10 signal and maintains video and audio. I tried a walmart amplifier, it did not help. On my gable I have a uhf and a vhf antenna. When the warmer weather comes I can maybe point the antenna differently.
post #4838 of 5036 Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From The New York Times
Quote:

Time Warner Cable and MSG Resolve Dispute

By HOWARD BECK and RICHARD SANDOMIR

The 48-day standoff between the MSG Network and Time Warner Cable ended Friday, according to two people aware of the resolution who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The end of the impasse will be announced Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and executives of both companies. A settlement had been urged by Eric T. Schneiderman, the state's attorney general. The governor's intervention in the past 24 hours with James L. Dolan, executive chairman of Madison Square Garden, and Glenn Britt, chief executive of Time Warner Cable, accelerated the agreement.

The blackout deprived many Knicks fans around the state of seeing much of the rapid rise to stardom of point guard Jeremy Lin as well as the continued success of the New York Rangers.

The impasse began Jan. 1 with the companies disagreeing angrily over what Time Warner Cable would pay to continue carrying MSG. Time Warner Cable, which serves more than two million customers, insisted that MSG reneged on a proposal for a 6.5 percent increase late last year and then demanded a 54 percent hike. MSG has never discussed figures publicly but said Time Warner's were not accurate.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4839 of 5036 Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Yes, but according to channel 10 - if WTEN and TW do not reach agreement by Tuesday - 10 will be pulled from Time Warner - one dispute ends and another one begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

From The New York Times

post #4840 of 5036 Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM

In addition to running the crawl on the bottom of the screen, News 10 @ 6 anchor Elisa Streeter announced the dispute kind of as a news story and stated that if an agreement wasn't reached by 2/29 the channel would be pulled from TWC. Then she said their channel will still be available on satellite on both DISH and Directv. Oh Governor Cuomo!!!

Dave
post #4841 of 5036 Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM

The weekend anchor on News 10 said nearly the exact same thing about TWC dispute when I was watching the Saturday 11PM broadcast.

I can't help but think about what happened between Cablevision and Disney/ABC two years ago. The Owned and Operated NYC station WABC, came back on Cablevision shortly after the 2010 Oscars broadcast started. I guess more of these disputes will become commonplace in the future, but I never expected it to see an "outage" in a smaller market like the Capital District. I do remember hearing about some Walmart and Target stores being sold out on DTV converters and indoor antennas in the NYC metro area two years ago as folks discovered that OTA signals are still around.

I came across this news story and blog entry in the Times-Union confirming the crawl during this year's Oscar broadcast.

http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...te-3365611.php

http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmill...r-cable/12439/
post #4842 of 5036 Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousCat View Post

I do remember hearing about some Walmart and Target stores being sold out on DTV converters and indoor antennas in the NYC metro area two years ago as folks discovered that OTA signals are still around.

This doesn't help too much to pick up WTEN here in the mid-Hudson valley area, although it works with WRGB since they installed a local repeater in Kingston. It looks like we've got another week ...

Time Warner Cable gets temporary extension to carry ABC affiliates in Milwaukee, Albany
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tim...ource=internal
post #4843 of 5036 Old 03-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Unfortunately these re-transmission blackouts are going to happen more frequently in the future. If it keeps up, it could result in more cord cutting from cable as consumers get more disgusted with these petty disputes more often.
post #4844 of 5036 Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGB EngDept View Post

Was just wondering if WRGB could offer any update on the Jiminy Peak transmitter issue? Been almost 3 months now.

Dave
post #4845 of 5036 Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Is WRGB rf6 broadcasting at full power? I am in a deep fringe area but 6 has been my strongest channel up until a week or so ago. I have a cut ch 6 yagi, 75 ohm,and low noise low band preamp, and also a field strength meter. Levels are very low,Other channels are preforming normally from this area

thanks
post #4846 of 5036 Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flampher View Post

Is WRGB rf6 broadcasting at full power? I am in a deep fringe area but 6 has been my strongest channel up until a week or so ago. I have a cut ch 6 yagi, 75 ohm,and low noise low band preamp, and also a field strength meter. Levels are very low,Other channels are preforming normally from this area

thanks

I too have noticed a drop in 6 and also in 23 (rf7) within the last few days, channels 13 (rf12) and 51(rf13) have been normal, UHF stations have been normal. I had thought it was some weird atmospheric thing effecting midrange VHF stations.
post #4847 of 5036 Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post

I too have noticed a drop in 6 and also in 23 (rf7) within the last few days, channels 13 (rf12) and 51(rf13) have been normal, UHF stations have been normal. I had thought it was some weird atmospheric thing effecting midrange VHF stations.

It had cleared up and now I am having signal issues with 6 and 23 again starting last night.
post #4848 of 5036 Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM

No issues here with 6 or 23.
On a clear blue day I have issues with 10.
post #4849 of 5036 Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM

WYNT news is now in HD. Saturday Today 13 looked great this morning - strange opening, though - it looked like the opening scenes from a cheesy soap opera. Great newsteam - just a horrible opening. BTW I was watching WUNI last night and decided to do a scan = guess what, a signal from 19 - turns out however, when I got a full lock - it was WGBH not WRGB
post #4850 of 5036 Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Watching Channel 13 OTA on Monday morning 05/07/12 was getting what seemed to be audio drop outs and occasional video pixelation. This in spite of 80% signal strength. Had to switch to Channel 6 and watch Charlie Rose (wake me if I fall asleep!).

Dave
post #4851 of 5036 Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Any rumors on 19 or on bouncetv coming to Albany?
post #4852 of 5036 Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM

I am intermittently getting a signal from RF 19 (45). However, last night I lost 17 (34 rf) and have not been able to get it back.
post #4853 of 5036 Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Still having a problem with 17 Wmht - did something happen to their transmitter?
post #4854 of 5036 Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
wkomorow:
I checked WMHT (34) after your 5/27 post and again just now. No problem here. Granted, I'm only about 10 miles from the transmitter but reception is solid and the numbers are what I'm used to and even slightly better than those from the other stations there. Using a 4-bay bowtie in the attic through about 14 dB of splitter attenuation to an HDHomerun tuner, I'm seeing signal strength of 86%. Both signal quality and symbol quality are 100%. 100% signal quality is rare; it means the signal is coming in with no errors.
post #4855 of 5036 Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

wkomorow:
I checked WMHT (34) after your 5/27 post and again just now. No problem here. Granted, I'm only about 10 miles from the transmitter but reception is solid and the numbers are what I'm used to and even slightly better than those from the other stations there. Using a 4-bay bowtie in the attic through about 14 dB of splitter attenuation to an HDHomerun tuner, I'm seeing signal strength of 86%. Both signal quality and symbol quality are 100%. 100% signal quality is rare; it means the signal is coming in with no errors.

Appreciate the info, thanks.

What is strange is that it is acting like WCWN rf-43. My antenna points NNW 289 degrees to pick up Albany stations. I used to receive WMHT at 70% pointing my yagi at 285 degrees, the signal always peaked at bit to the south of the other stations. Beginning last Sat night (around 8 Pm) suddening no signal. I am able to get rf-43 on a richocet pointing my antenna due south 180-190 degrees. When I did so to watch rf-43, I was surprised to find rf-34. WMHT at 65%. So I am wondering if 17 changed the directionality of their antenna for some reason. Still getting rf-19 from Jimminy Peak for 15-20 minutes at a time - looks like they are testing.
post #4856 of 5036 Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Does anybody know if Time Warner will eventually carry the local's currently only available OTA (for example, Antenna TV, Qubo & Ion Life)?

Since Time Warner is not carrying these stations, I've installed a Winegard HD7084 in my attic, with a Winegard ANWI8700 Signal Amplifier. From my location in North Greenbush, mostly everything comes in great, (from the community tower), however the signal from the WYPX stations in Amsterdam fluctuates greatly. It will go from 3 to 4 bars to nothing in an instant. I tried to position my antenna so I could pick up all stations in the best manner, (in between the Helderbergs and Amsterdam). According to TV Fool, the WYPX stations should come in just fine. I'm assuming there could be an obstruction in my receiving path. I wonder if moving my antenna from my attic to my roof would make much of a difference? Either that, or split in another antenna positioned elsewhere in the attic. Any suggestions? 
post #4857 of 5036 Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrian View Post

The only digital TV coming off West Mountain at this time is WNCE RF 31, which shows "Look-TV" Channel 8 from Glens Falls, and a "Hole In The Woods" informercial on 8-2. 8-3 has video from 8-1 but no audio, and 8-4 is just a color bar test-pattern.

Is anyone in Saratoga or south of there receiving this channel? Just curious.

I recently re-scanned and was able to pick up all the WNCE digital stations in Troy. It's the first time I've seen these stations. I assume it's due to a new digital transmitter? Does anyone know when they went digital?
post #4858 of 5036 Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WNCE has been digital since last year I think.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4859 of 5036 Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 AM

JoeVideo, for years I've experimented with OTA tv reception. This last go around, I wondered why my camper, parked alongside my garage was able to pick up WMHT (RF34) while my tv antenna for the house (mounted higher than the camper's Winegard "batwing" could not. I got to experimenting and found that lateral movement of the antenna, at least in my location, gives highly variable results. It's not that I have any obstructions either, basically an open yard looking to the south east Helderberg antenna farm roughly 65 miles away. With the antenna now mounted in the back of the house (west side) on a 20 ft. tower, barely peeking over the roof of the house, Albany reception is MUCH stronger than the same antenna mounted 10 ft higher than the peak of the roof when mounted on the chimney. I found the "sweet spot" by walking with the antenna laterally and finding the highest signal strength. I couldn't believe the difference!
post #4860 of 5036 Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks, kq2n. I'll have to experiment with that.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page