post #5011 of 5035 Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bdee1:
You should get WTEN at least as well as the other stations. I too am in Bethlehem and it's among my strongest stations. Maybe your tuner doesn't know it's really on channel 26. Depending on how your tuner works, you might try tuning to ch. 26 directly, or add ch. 26 into your channel list, or maybe just do a full rescan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5035 Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me preface this post by saying the Capital District is boring. To someone who loved the DX'ing capabilities of analog, there's nothing to pick up around here outside of the 'locals'. mad.gif

This post is an update to a previous post where I outlined my reception from Rotterdam using an Antenna's Direct Clearstream 2 (on the roof). Well, since I'm never completely satisfied with anything, and am always hopeful in finding the "holy grail" of antennas someday, I thought I'd try an "AD" db4e.

One of my hopes with these units was that I could finally get the elusive WYBN, 14 from Windam. It was also to find a balance between long-distance UHF, as well as consistent reception from the several VHF's around here. Since I'm not much further than 10 miles from the mountain, I really had no trouble...even with ch. 6! So yes those two antennas managed to get me 6,7,12 & 13 without much of an issue.

Last year, analog ch. 15 was really good. Since then they were sold... lost their simulcast with WNYA... switched to AMGTV, and moved the transmitter from Albany to Coxsakie. They're now about 36 miles from me, and deliver lots of 'snow' to the video! This is also why I wanted WYBN. I'd sooner see "America One" over "AMGTV".

Fast forward to this past winter. So through the kind generosity of Antenna's Direct, I was given my choice of antenna to test-out at my house. I chose the 91XG...thinking this might deliver the UHF boost I was looking for. I changed the configuration on my roof to accommodate it... and it's pretty good. BUT it's STILL not the holy grail!

Pointed to the southeast, I still (predictably) get the same channels. 6, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18 (WNYT) 19 (WTEN) 23, 45, 51 & 55. Yes, 15 is fuzzy, but it's actually a tad better than it was with the db4e. VHF has been great ... and yes I realize that all the units I've had are primarily for UHF only.

If I turn the antenna north'ish, it'll also add 8.1 & 8.2 from Glens Falls, all EIGHT ch. 44's, and a "third" WNYT...which I think is ch. 45. But.....STILL no WYBN (when aimed in their direction). In total, that's about 40 channels (including all the 44's and six subs on ch. 55).

So unless they want to send me something else to try out, I think I'll stick with what I have for now.
post #5013 of 5035 Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone else notice lip-sync issues with watching WTEN OTA? It is very subtle, but you can definitely notice it.

I don't have any lip sync issues on any other channel.
post #5014 of 5035 Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM

In Berkshire County using Time Warner on basic cable. It seems we have lost the HD channels through the TV's CAM tuner. Anyone else notice this?

Dave
post #5015 of 5035 Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
In Berkshire County using Time Warner on basic cable. It seems we have lost the HD channels through the TV's CAM tuner. Anyone else notice this?
Sometime in the past couple of weeks, Time Warner moved the clear QAM channels. Try re-scanning. The Albany locals moved from ch 110-113 to lower channels (73 or 74-77 I think).
post #5016 of 5035 Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
This has been a problem for a number of TW viewers who plug the cable directly into their TV. If a channel scan does not solve it, you have to have one of their technicians come to your house and remove a trap. This has solved a number of these cases since the channels were relocated on August 5th. You'll also notice the sub channels are missing. A number of viewers have had cable at their home for decades. Some of these still have old traps in the line.
post #5017 of 5035 Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I was at the Altamont Fair this past week with my family, and when on the Ferris Wheel, I saw the TV towers on top of the nearby Helderberg Mtns. I thought it would be interesting to take a ride after we were done with the fair and see what it looked like .

One thing for sure, my minivan struggled to get up Pinnacle Rd when I turned off Beaver Dam Rd when I was approaching Camp Pinnacle, but once I got to the top, I got a closeup view of the towers along the road. It seems as if most of these towers are on private property? That's what it seems the access roads are on as I could not really get any closer but the road. Of course, I'm sure the FCC does not want anyone close to these towers anyway.

I should have taken pics, but Google maps has a couple of pics of the road, and you can see the towers in the background.

Anyway, it was a nice tour and education of how we get our OTA signals, not to mention the nice view of the mountains.
NYota1 likes this.
post #5018 of 5035 Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post
I was at the Altamont Fair this past week with my family, and when on the Ferris Wheel, I saw the TV towers on top of the nearby Helderberg Mtns. I thought it would be interesting to take a ride after we were done with the fair and see what it looked like .

One thing for sure, my minivan struggled to get up Pinnacle Rd when I turned off Beaver Dam Rd when I was approaching Camp Pinnacle, but once I got to the top, I got a closeup view of the towers along the road. It seems as if most of these towers are on private property? That's what it seems the access roads are on as I could not really get any closer but the road. Of course, I'm sure the FCC does not want anyone close to these towers anyway.

I should have taken pics, but Google maps has a couple of pics of the road, and you can see the towers in the background.

Anyway, it was a nice tour and education of how we get our OTA signals, not to mention the nice view of the mountains.
I've been up there a few times before and have taken a few pictures...as well as video.

If you're a DX'er and REALLY want a thrill...I've been up there with a portable TV and an external antenna! All I can say is WOW! I received Utica ch's 2 & 20 in one spot, then went down the road a bit, pointed the antenna north/northeast, and got ch. 41 from Rutland, (with several repeaters) and WPTZ, Ch. 5 from Plattsburgh! On a separate ride further down Pinnacle Road, I was actually trying to pick up WYBN-14 from Wyndam, but received ch. 48 from Kingston, NY (which has about 6 digital sub-channels) instead. I wish I owned a house up there. The allure of DX'ing goes back decades for me.

There are two different access roads up there. IIRC -- the Pinnacle (Camp) Road you mentioned is where sets of towers are visible on both sides of the road as you make the incline. Then at the top of the hill there's an access road to the left which curls around and goes a fair way down. I think I may of ventured down that road (a bit) once before. There's a large tower at the end, which (IIRC) is WGNA FM.

If heading west on Beaver Dam, but before coming to Pinnacle Rd, I recall a gravel road which goes up a hill. This road leads directly to the WRGB tower. It's one of the shortest ones on the mountain.

Most of the stations are located in that one area. I believe it's Fox23 and 106.5 that are easily visible on the right side of Pinnacle Rd. Can't recall which side WMHT is on. One of the exceptions is WTEN...which is part of the second cluster about a half-mile further down the road past the camp.

The tower farms are interesting. One that you CAN easily visit, while getting a fantastic view at the same time, is the tower on top of Mt. Greylock in Williamstown, MA. WTEN's repeater, WCDC-19 is prominent on that one. One of WNYT's repeaters might also be up there as well. As I said, the view up there is the best in the region!

Thanks for posting your experience.

Last edited by NYota1; 08-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
post #5019 of 5035 Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

As I headed south on Pinnacle, my GPS told me to turn right on Tower 2 Lane, but it was an open gravel yard. Thinking it was wrong, I went to the next right, but it looked like someones private driveway/house. So I kept on going.

Further South on the right, I did see the Fox 23 tower. I knew what it was because there was a street sign on the right side of the road that said "WXXA-DT"

Are these towers by themselves? I though I read somewhere a while back that there was a "community tower" where multiple stations were on 1 antenna.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll remember to bring my laptop and Hauppauge tuner stick. It will be interesting to see what I get. What antenna did you use?
NYota1 likes this.
post #5020 of 5035 Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Are these towers by themselves? I though I read somewhere a while back that there was a "community tower" where multiple stations were on 1 antenna.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll remember to bring my laptop and Hauppauge tuner stick.?
Yes, you might be correct about the "community tower"once the DTV conversion was complete. I don't remember too much about it though.

"Hauppauge tuner stick"? That sounds fancier than what I probably had...which again if I'm remembering right, might've been a Clearstream 2 - UHF antenna. I have a few different types...indoor and outdoor. I guess I should get with the times. I haven't tried using a computer/laptop for TV reception yet. Not sure that I'd even know how to set it up.

One thing.....DX'ing was sure more of a joy in the old analog days.
post #5021 of 5035 Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
Yes, you might be correct about the "community tower"once the DTV conversion was complete. I don't remember too much about it though.

"Hauppauge tuner stick"? That sounds fancier than what I probably had...which again if I'm remembering right, might've been a Clearstream 2 - UHF antenna. I have a few different types...indoor and outdoor. I guess I should get with the times. I haven't tried using a computer/laptop for TV reception yet. Not sure that I'd even know how to set it up.

One thing.....DX'ing was sure more of a joy in the old analog days.

The Hauppauge tuner stick is just a USB digital OTA tuner I plug into the laptop. I still need to connect an antenna to it though.
post #5022 of 5035 Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Looked back in this forum, found some interesting articles and pics of the Helderberg tower farm.

http://www.fybush.com/sites/2007/site-070622.html

http://www.necrat.us/albdtv.html ( This must be the community tower off Tower 3 Lane?)
post #5023 of 5035 Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those $(@($@$ they stole my DTV signal.

Ok I subscribe to TWC Digital cable w/ DVR, and RR service. I have one DVR box they provide connected to one of my HD smart tvs. While I have another HD tv that is connected through a wall jack, and a analog tv also connected
through a wall jack. Each tv was working fine last night. This morning after a brief power outage the HD tv that is connected through a wall jack lost its signal. I tried rescanning several times with no luck. It only finds 8 channels (1 analog & 7 Digital). This is truly messed up. I get more channels if I switch to antenna signal. My other two tvs are working fine.

What happened? Did TWC fry my tv? All three tvs were off when the power outage happened, if that matters. How can this be fixed?
post #5024 of 5035 Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post
Sometime in the past couple of weeks, Time Warner moved the clear QAM channels. Try re-scanning. The Albany locals moved from ch 110-113 to lower channels (73 or 74-77 I think).
I have been able to find the channels in the 70's as you describe on a Sony HDTV. On a Samsung HDTV (newer model) I have rescanned and it says it found 51 digital channels, but I can't seem to see them in the list. Will keep playing with it when I get time. Thanks for the help.

Dave
post #5025 of 5035 Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Those $(@($@$ they stole my DTV signal.

Ok I subscribe to TWC Digital cable w/ DVR, and RR service. I have one DVR box they provide connected to one of my HD smart tvs. While I have another HD tv that is connected through a wall jack, and a analog tv also connected
through a wall jack. Each tv was working fine last night. This morning after a brief power outage the HD tv that is connected through a wall jack lost its signal. I tried rescanning several times with no luck. It only finds 8 channels (1 analog & 7 Digital). This is truly messed up. I get more channels if I switch to antenna signal. My other two tvs are working fine.

What happened? Did TWC fry my tv? All three tvs were off when the power outage happened, if that matters. How can this be fixed?
No, TWC didn't fry your TV but the power outage could have damaged it or maybe just confused it. Try this: turn off the TV and unplug it for 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in and scan for channels, making sure it's set for standard cable, not antenna.

If that doesn't get you the channels you expect, connect cable from the wall to your other digital TV (you shouldn't need to disconnect the DVR because it's probably connecteed to the TV via HDMI or component) and do a scan to see if that TV gets anything different.

A recent post, quoted in the post just after yours, said TWC had moved the locals to the mid-70s. Apparently TWC still has some analog channels so they shouldn't be encrypting the digital locals yet. It would be useful if there were a sticky post, kept updated, showing the analog and unencrypted digital channels (with both real and virtual channel numbers for digital) for both TWC and FiOS locally (no analog for FiOS, of course). The first post in this thread lists the digital cable channels for both but it just gives the cable-box channel numbers, including encrypted, and it doesn't appear to be updated.
post #5026 of 5035 Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
No, TWC didn't fry your TV but the power outage could have damaged it or maybe just confused it. Try this: turn off the TV and unplug it for 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in and scan for channels, making sure it's set for standard cable, not antenna.

If that doesn't get you the channels you expect, connect cable from the wall to your other digital TV (you shouldn't need to disconnect the DVR because it's probably connected to the TV via HDMI or component) and do a scan to see if that TV gets anything different.
I tried unplugging the tv for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, made sure it was set for cable, and rescanned. I got the same results 1 analog channel (which doesn't come in), and 7 digital channels. Now some of the digital channels are coming in pixelated. As for connecting to another tv, that's out. All three tvs are in other ends of the house. The coax cable I have just cover the rooms that they're in.

Is there anything else I could try? As it stands now I get more channels on the "problem tv" using an antenna, and the signal is better doing it.

Update: a few minutes after this post the lone analog channel came in clear, while the digital channels started to pixelate worse. I decided to give it one last rescan, and the flood gates opened. The channels
started to flow analog & digital. I use the analog channels for this tv, with some of the digital channels. 90% analog to 10% digital While I can only use about 10% of the digital, because the other 90% are RF stations.

The good news is this HDTV is now working.

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 08-25-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Update
post #5027 of 5035 Old 08-27-2014, 09:42 AM

Anyone else notice problems with MY4 on channel 51? I was trying to watch "The Middle" at 7 PM last night on Dish Network Satellite and got severe pixilation and dropouts. Tried switching over to OTA and got zilch.

Dave
post #5028 of 5035 Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Anyone else notice problems with MY4 on channel 51? I was trying to watch "The Middle" at 7 PM last night on Dish Network Satellite and got severe pixilation and dropouts. Tried switching over to OTA and got zilch.
I watch 51.2 (Antenna TV) via an antenna, and get a medium amount of pixilation just about every time. I also have a high-band VHF antenna! I don't know about Dish's signal, but I think mine will improve when the leaves drop off. I also believe some of the blame should go to WNYA's signal.
post #5029 of 5035 Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

WNYA ( RF 13) has always been my weakest station from the Helderbergs (not counting the 3ABN station on RF 44, which I can't get and don't care to). Using a 2nd-gen HDHomeRun I'm currently getting signal strength of 70% and signal quality of 0-73%. Lots of pixelation & dropouts. Sometimes it settles down to 69-73%. For comparison WNYT (RF 12) is usually solid at 96% and 95-100%. WNYT has slightly higher power (15 kW ERP vs. 12.69 kW ERP) and a higher antenna (1427' vs. 987').

I'm about 10 miles from the transmitters, LOS except for a few nearby houses. Attic antenna system consisting of a 4-bay bowtie for UHF and a twin-lead folded dipole cut for ch. 6 for VHF, coupled with a cheap UVSJ.
post #5030 of 5035 Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Ditto here. Can get every channel except WNYA. I'm about 19 miles/ 2 edge reception from the towers.

I have the Radio Shack VU-210 XR on my roof with rotor. Tried everything, but can't get a blip of this channel.
post #5031 of 5035 Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Ditto here. Can get every channel except WNYA. I'm about 19 miles/ 2 edge reception from the towers.

I have the Radio Shack VU-210 XR on my roof with rotor. Tried everything, but can't get a blip of this channel.
My TV doesn't give signal strength, but I'd have to assume that WNYA is probably around 85%. It pixellates? less when the weather isn't too hot or humid. Once the leaves are off the tree that the antenna points at, it should improve.

I recently got an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 unit to give WNYA a boost. It seems to work well. Picks up 6.1 & 6.2 flawlessly as well. If I turn the UHF northwest, I can get 3ABN on 44 quite strong, but have no interest in it. Due north, I can also pick up WNCE (RF 31) Glens Falls.
post #5032 of 5035 Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
I recently got an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 unit to give WNYA a boost. It seems to work well. Picks up 6.1 & 6.2 flawlessly as well. If I turn the UHF northwest, I can get 3ABN on 44 quite strong, but have no interest in it. Due north, I can also pick up WNCE (RF 31) Glens Falls.
If I turn my antenna NW, I can actually get WKTV/NBC Utica (RF29) about 53 miles away with no issues. But since I get WNYT/NBC Albany fine, no real reason for me to watch WKTV unless I'm interested in the local news in that area.
post #5033 of 5035 Old Today, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WNYA has been operating at reduced power due to transmission line difficulties. The transmission line problem is causing the pixelation you are seeing and the lower power is a contributing factor. The repair parts are expected in this week and the tower crew will be installing the new line as soon as possible afterward. This should resolve most of the reception problems.

WNYA's transmitter is currently at the old WRGB analog site which is a bit lower in height than the other stations antennas at the Capital Region Broadcasters site. The coverage is therefore slightly different than the other stations.

Richard Klein
WNYT-TV / WNYA-TV
715 N Pearl St. | Albany, NY 12204
post #5034 of 5035 Old Today, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info! This probably explains why everything seemed ok last night...then around 8:20 it suddenly got impossible to watch, AND hear. Glad to know it'll be getting better.
post #5035 of 5035 Old Today, 06:44 AM

Quote:
If I turn my antenna NW, I can actually get WKTV/NBC Utica (RF29) about 53 miles away with no issues. But since I get WNYT/NBC Albany fine, no real reason for me to watch WKTV unless I'm interested in the local news in that area.
I can think of times when I'd like to see WKTV, but I'm about 73 miles from them and have never been able to get them. The difference may be your terrain as well as the distance factor.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page