ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
Last time I checked...the WRGB sub was still in 4:3 SD.
Nope. 16:9, and most widescreen TVs will show it properly filling the screen without having to zoom in. It's been that way a long time, if not from the beginning. SD, of course, but very good SD.

Here are their specs, taken just now using an HDHomeRun and TSReader Lite:

WCWN 45.3 (WRGB-SD)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 10.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0

By contrast, here's WMHT's World subchannel, which is 4:3 even though nearly all of their programs are 16:9, letterboxed into the 4:3 frame, so the result is windowboxed (black bars all around) on a widescreen display unless zoomed in:

WMHT 17.3 (PBS World)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 14.975 Mbps Resolution 640 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Don't be misled by the bitrates shown. They are decoded (decompressed) bitrates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5050 Old 12-09-2014, 12:44 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
With a Radio Shack high-band VHF in Rotterdam, I get 6.1 & 6.2 at almost 100%.
That's reasonable. You're in Rotterdam, nominally 11 miles from the tower so about the same distance I am. I can get WRGB watchably with rabbit ears but not with a 4-bay bowtie or a Zenith Silver Sensor, both UHF but able to receive the high VHF channels at 10 miles.
post #5043 of 5050 Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Nope. 16:9, and most widescreen TVs will show it properly filling the screen without having to zoom in. It's been that way a long time, if not from the beginning. SD, of course, but very good SD.
Okay. So for lack of a "technically correct" term...why is their video "squished" on a 16:9 screen...unless adjusted to "full screen"? (unless it's changed in the last few weeks since I've clicked by it)
post #5044 of 5050 Old 12-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
That's reasonable. You're in Rotterdam, nominally 11 miles from the tower so about the same distance I am. I can get WRGB watchably with rabbit ears but not with a 4-bay bowtie or a Zenith Silver Sensor, both UHF but able to receive the high VHF channels at 10 miles.
Rabbit ears...or ANY antenna I had ever constructed indoors, couldn't get ch. 6 ... or WXXA (rf 7) for that matter either. Most UHF units I've had outside (including a 4-bay bowtie) had no problem with 6. I got the VHF when I decided to keep the UHF turned north-northwest. I wanted WNYA 51.2 (rf 13) more consistently than the UHF could deliver it. Everything is steady now .

Even though aimed NNW, all the Heldeberg UHF's come in fine from the "backside"! The only one I miss is analog 15 from Coxsackie.

Last edited by NYota1; 12-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #5045 of 5050 Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay. So for lack of a "technically correct" term...why is their video "squished" on a 16:9 screen...unless adjusted to "full screen"? (unless it's changed in the last few weeks since I've clicked by it)
Either your TV ignores the aspect ratio information sent with the channel and incorrectly assumes that 480i=4:3, or the picture size is set wrong. If "full screen" displays WRGB-SD (45.3) the same as WRGB-HD (6.1) except for the lower resolution, what does it do with the other SD subchannels? Does it show them in proper aspect ratio and not overscanned? My Vizio TV does, except for 10.3 (LWN) which I think is set up wrong at the station.
post #5046 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Either your TV ignores the aspect ratio information sent with the channel and incorrectly assumes that 480i=4:3, or the picture size is set wrong. If "full screen" displays WRGB-SD (45.3) the same as WRGB-HD (6.1) except for the lower resolution, what does it do with the other SD subchannels? Does it show them in proper aspect ratio and not overscanned? My Vizio TV does, except for 10.3 (LWN) which I think is set up wrong at the station.
I'm not in front of my TV at the moment, but I can tell you that the screen size is set where EVERY station compensates itself automatically. All the HD stations appear in their correct perspective at 16:9. Those that are standard...i.e 6.2, 13.2, 51.2, appear in 4:3. I'm very sensitive to that, because I hate it when people have their screen size set so that SD channels are stretched (not zoomed) to fill the screen. It makes everyone look bloated.
post #5047 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Double-check that. I have Samsung TVs and they're great, except that they assume every SD station is 4:3 even if the 16:9 flag is set (every HD station is 16:9 and it assumes that accordingly). So when I tune to COZI or Movies! or any of the other 16:9 SD subchannels, I have to manually stretch to get the picture correct.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Last edited by Trip in VA; Yesterday at 10:32 AM.
post #5048 of 5050 Old Today, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Double-check that. I have Samsung TVs and they're great, except that they assume every SD station is 4:3 even if the 16:9 flag is set (every HD station is 16:9 and it assumes that accordingly). So when I tune to COZI or Movies! or any of the other 16:9 SD subchannels, I have to manually stretch to get the picture correct.

- Trip
Hmmmm... and coincidentally it's a Samsung that I have as well.

And on a programming note........I wish we had Cozi or Movies! here.
post #5049 of 5050 Old Today, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do most current HDTVs have a built in antenna? I have a plasma in my bedroom and can pick up NBC, Fox, CBS, PBS, and ABC in HD. I have no antenna and no cable running to it. I'm just wondering if I'll need to buy an antenna. I only care about picking up the major networks.
post #5050 of 5050 Old Today, 10:49 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

david118383:
I've never heard of any TV with a built-in antenna, other than a portable that might have a whip or loop permanently attached but still external. I suppose if you're very close to the transmitters and the tuner input is poorly shielded it would be possible to get some reception but that's a stretch. If there were a built-in antenna the owner's manual should mention it.

You didn't give the make and model of your TV so I asked my friends at the NSA and they said you bought a Samsung PN43D430 plasma for your bedroom for $399 from Best Buy on 11/25/2011. The manual for that doesn't say anything about an internal antenna.

Recheck the antenna input to verify that there's really nothing connected to it.

Spoiler!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page