Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 172 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #5131 of 5141 Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
ThisTV moving from 6 to 14 per WYBN facebook post
WYBN TV 14 is very excited to announce next week we launch This TV diginet on channel 14.2
We are the exclusive Albany DMA affiliatte as WRGB will drop This TV in the future to make way for Sinclair Broadcastings own diginets !!!
Keep watching us as in 4 years we have grown in audience, programming etc.

So maybe 6 takes GetTV soon?

WYBN TV-14 facebook post:

THIS TV net is now launched on WYBN TV 14.8
to the Capital District & beyond !!!
THIS TV is part of the MGM Studio and as such it has access to the huge library of movie hits at MGM.Over 4,000.
When WRGB bumps the THIS TV net for sports from Sinclair Broadcasting just swing over to WYBN TV 14. We take the feed 24 by 7 and will never bump this great net !!!

Switch to over the air & save $ 1,200. a year from the cable barons & sateliite bait & switch folks.Save real money not chump change !!!
See you on the couch !!

WYBN TV 14 will have the following channels.

You Too America
PBJ
Tuff TV
France 24
REV'N
LATV
RetroTV
ThisTV

That is a very good lineup. But ATM I can't get a clear signal where I live. So it doesn't help me much. If they were to boost their signal range, then WYBN TV 14 would come in.

As it is now my WRGB looks like this:
6-1 WRGB / CBS
6-2 ThisTV
6-3 CBS6 Weather (although it comes in sporadically)

I also have this:
45-1 CW
45-2 Grit TV
45-3 WRGB / CBS

They could always move ThisTV over there, possibly 45-4. Picking up GetTV would be nice to.

If the big five get together NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, The CW they could work out a way to fix this mess for the OTA viewers.

As it is now:

FOX
ABC / Live Well Network
MyTV4 / Antenna TV
CW / Grit
CBS / This TV
NBC / Me-TV
PBS / Create / World
Ion Television / qubo / Ion Life / QVC / HSN

Now if they could divide the rest of the OTA channels, or at least the more popular ones ( * ).

France 24
Classic Arts Showcase
LATV
*Bounce TV
*GetTV
*Movies!
*Cozi TV
*Retro TV
*Escape
*The Works
*Heroes & Icons
AMGTV
*Launch TV
The Family Channel
Heartland
*PBJ
FamilyNet
Justice Network
Rev'n
Tuff TV
America One
Untamed Sports TV
Frost Great Outdoors
Pursuit Channel

There may be some more OTA channels, but 40-50 OTA would be great. I remember when my family first got cable in the 80's when we had 36 channels. That was fine back then, it would be fine now. If it was all available OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5141 Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There is a cost to adding more subchannels and I don't mean the cost to acquire broadcast rights. In our ATSC/8VSB system, all of the subchannels, data streams,error correction, etc. share a total bit rate of 19.39 Mbps, with a little over 18 Mbps available for video and audio. As you add more subchannels, each one gets fewer bps. Don't forget that the "primary" channel, often an HD network affiliate, is a subchannel like all the rest. As the per-subchannel bit rate goes down, so does the quality.

Broadcasters use various tricks to reduce the problem, such as allocating more bps to one subchannel or another as needed, on the assumption that they won't all need a high bit rate at the same time. Adding a low-motion subchannel like a local weather channel doesn't impact the other subchannels as much as adding a full-motion one with old movies or TV shows.

It's always a question of quality vs. quantity. How many subchannels a station can carry vs. the level of degradation the viewers will accept. My vote is for quality over quantity, especially since many of the available add-on channels are ones I would never watch anyway.
post #5133 of 5141 Old 04-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
ThisTV moving from 6 to 14 per WYBN facebook post
WYBN TV 14 is very excited to announce next week we launch This TV diginet on channel 14.2
We are the exclusive Albany DMA affiliatte as WRGB will drop This TV in the future to make way for Sinclair Broadcastings own diginets !!!
Keep watching us as in 4 years we have grown in audience, programming etc.

So maybe 6 takes GetTV soon?
Wow!! That's pretty big news! I wonder if this will somehow change WYBN's signal reach to the area? I mean it's REALLY WEIRD that they would be designated as the "exclusive Albany DMA affiliate" since their signal is just barely seen (sporadic at best) in the area...and NOT available on Time Warner Cable.
post #5134 of 5141 Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
There is a cost to adding more subchannels and I don't mean the cost to acquire broadcast rights. In our ATSC/8VSB system, all of the subchannels, data streams,error correction, etc. share a total bit rate of 19.39 Mbps, with a little over 18 Mbps available for video and audio. As you add more subchannels, each one gets fewer bps. Don't forget that the "primary" channel, often an HD network affiliate, is a subchannel like all the rest. As the per-subchannel bit rate goes down, so does the quality.

Broadcasters use various tricks to reduce the problem, such as allocating more bps to one subchannel or another as needed, on the assumption that they won't all need a high bit rate at the same time. Adding a low-motion subchannel like a local weather channel doesn't impact the other subchannels as much as adding a full-motion one with old movies or TV shows.

It's always a question of quality vs. quantity. How many subchannels a station can carry vs. the level of degradation the viewers will accept. My vote is for quality over quantity, especially since many of the available add-on channels are ones I would never watch anyway.
I'm not expecting them to add all those channels. It would be great if we could get a good mix of channels.

They could drop a few unnecessary channels like OTB, QVC, HSN. You could even add ION Life & LWN to that list. But I wouldn't mind them staying if ABC & ION add additional channels to their stations. If ION could go from this: Ion Television / qubo / Ion Life / QVC / HSN
To lets say this: Ion Television / qubo / Ion Life / GetTV / Escape
That would be a happy medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
Wow!! That's pretty big news! I wonder if this will somehow change WYBN's signal reach to the area? I mean it's REALLY WEIRD that they would be designated as the "exclusive Albany DMA affiliate" since their signal is just barely seen (sporadic at best) in the area...and NOT available on Time Warner Cable.
That's what I need to know. I can find WYBN's signal, but it wont come in clearly. They carry Retro TV, that's a channel I would really like to pick up. If ThisTV moves there and they don't improve
their signal range then I'm SOL x2.
post #5135 of 5141 Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I'm not expecting them to add all those channels. It would be great if we could get a good mix of channels.

They could drop a few unnecessary channels like OTB, QVC, HSN. You could even add ION Life & LWN to that list. But I wouldn't mind them staying if ABC & ION add additional channels to their stations. If ION could go from this: Ion Television / qubo / Ion Life / QVC / HSN
To lets say this: Ion Television / qubo / Ion Life / GetTV / Escape
That would be a happy medium.
As far as I know, LWN will be leaving soon. The new "Laff" channel will arrive on many ABC affiliates April 15th. I have a hunch WTEN may be included in that.

I completely agree that the OTB channel is a waste of bandwidth. I would think that would definitely fall under the category of a "low-motion" (non bps-stealing channel)!

As far as ION goes... I don't know what their "deal" is... but I don't think our ch. 55 has much of a choice as to what they offer. If you travel around, you'll see that every market where an ION affiliate is, are the EXACT same sub-channels, in the EXACT same order. It appears that the network requires these channels on ALL affiliates...without deviation.
post #5136 of 5141 Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
As far as I know, LWN will be leaving soon. The new "Laff" channel will arrive on many ABC affiliates April 15th. I have a hunch WTEN may be included in that.
I'd have a higher opinion of the channel if they called it "Laugh." Advertising a comedy as being a "laff riot" pretty much guarantees that it will not be funny at all. I expect the channel will be filled with that sort of show. If so, I'll watch it as much as I did LWN: only as long as it takes to step to the next channel.
post #5137 of 5141 Old 04-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
I'd have a higher opinion of the channel if they called it "Laugh." Advertising a comedy as being a "laff riot" pretty much guarantees that it will not be funny at all. I expect the channel will be filled with that sort of show.
To date, the programs they've secured for the Laff network are;
Plus movies from Walt Disney, Miramax and Sony Pictures.

Sounds like a DUD to me!
post #5138 of 5141 Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 AM

That sounds better than LWN & Ion Life.

It's not perfect, but it's a start.
post #5139 of 5141 Old 04-13-2015, 07:10 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
To date, the programs they've secured for the Laff network are;
OK, I might actually rewatch episodes of Night Court! I never watched the others but I heard that Drew Carey and Ellen were good. I still don't like the name Laff; it just seems stupid. Admittedly, stupidity can be funny but only if it's inspired stupidity, as in Monty Python, Airplane! or the Naked Gun movies. Hey, here's an idea: if they show Police Squad! (all 6 episodes) I'll watch. As long as they're In Color.
post #5140 of 5141 Unread Today, 05:39 PM

Any new info on Live Well??? It's STILL there! Every month since January the "expiration" date has been pushed further along. Do we need to send exterminators in to rid WTEN of it?
post #5141 of 5141 Unread Today, 07:12 PM

I don't know LWN is like a cockroach. It just wont go away.

That Laugh, Laff or what ever they want to call it would be an improvement.

If they just bring back RetroTV, I'd be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page