Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 173 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5161 of 5172 Old 05-04-2015, 02:26 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The EIT listings are back, for what it's worth. Co-owned WRGB and WCWN are best at 3 days of guides. The rest have from a few hours to a day. Pitiful.

Since several stations' listings disappeared at once, my guess is that they use the same guide service and it failed. But I don't know anything about where that information comes from. Anyone associated with a station care to fill us in?
ebo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5162 of 5172 Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
RKlein13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
The EIT listings are back, for what it's worth. Co-owned WRGB and WCWN are best at 3 days of guides. The rest have from a few hours to a day. Pitiful.

Since several stations' listings disappeared at once, my guess is that they use the same guide service and it failed. But I don't know anything about where that information comes from. Anyone associated with a station care to fill us in?
Many of the local stations use DecisionMark to format the guide information for the PSIP generator which provides, among other critical things, the guide information. Recently DecisionMark made a change to the server from which the information is downloaded, causing the difficulty. As observed, this has been resolved now.

FYI, the number of days that a given station publishes the guide information has to do with the available bandwidth. There is a trade off between the allocation of bits to the program stream data and how much is left for the guide. Typically a station might provide more days of advance guide information if they have the available the bits to do so, so you may see anything between 1 to 3 days depending on the number of program streams, audio channels, etc. that a station is carrying.

Rich
Former CE at WNYT (Ret.)

Richard Klein
WNYT-TV / WNYA-TV
715 N Pearl St. | Albany, NY 12204
RKlein13 is offline  
post #5163 of 5172 Old 05-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Member
 
Gary in Pok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that CBS on 45-3 is now in 720p HD instead of the former SD, along with WCWN in 1080i, and GritTV in 480i (2 HD and 1 SD subchannel). Thanks, WRGB EngDept for the better picture on CBS on 45-3! I'm in a fringe area, and 6 hasn't been as reliable for me lately as it used to be, so when I have to switch to 45-3 to get CBS, it's good to have a better picture (I get 45 on both RF 24 and 43).
Gary in Pok is offline  
post #5164 of 5172 Old 05-17-2015, 01:06 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have to admit I'm impressed by what they can do with a low bit rate. Comparing WRGB on 6.1 with 45.3 on a 1280x720 monitor, I really don't see any difference. I might on a higher res monitor. Of course a shot without much movement doesn't need a high bit rate to look good. I'll have to check again on something like CSI's opening credits.

With golf on WRGB and baseball on WCWN TSReader Lite showed these bit rates:

Code:
Name     Chan    Mbps
---------------------
WRGB-HD   6.1   15.72
this TV   6.2    2.28

WCWN-HD  45.1   11.10
Grit TV  45.2    1.20
WRGB     45.3    5.27
ebo is offline  
post #5165 of 5172 Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Member
 
wkomorow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No mention of Wten, but Media General has reached an agreement with COZI:

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2015/0...-in-4-new.html
wkomorow is offline  
post #5166 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still having slight issues with WNYT -13 (VHF 12), occasionally get dropouts, nothing major, but it is an annoyance. I do not have an amp, but figured one might help, also to maybe get WNYA-51 that I cannot get a blip of.




I ordered an RCA TVpramp1R from Walmart online for $20. I 'll post back to report results.


Nice that 45-3 is now in 720P for those who only have a UHF antenna, or have trouble getting 6-1. My Radio Shack VU-210XR survived another winter ( 20 years old now) , but would like to replace eventually.
mikepier is offline  
post #5167 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Gary in Pok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
I have to admit I'm impressed by what they can do with a low bit rate. Comparing WRGB on 6.1 with 45.3 on a 1280x720 monitor, I really don't see any difference. I might on a higher res monitor. Of course a shot without much movement doesn't need a high bit rate to look good. I'll have to check again on something like CSI's opening credits.
The highly compressed 720p generally looks great on my 46" TV most of the time, but the low bit rate does show up occasionally when there's a lot of movement. The picture can stutter (freeze momentarily) or become very blocky and pixelated when there's a lot of movement. This doesn't happen very often though, I've noticed it in things like credits on shows, and a couple of commercials. The rest of the time, it looks as good as any other 720p channel. Even with the occasional compression loss in high motion, it's still a great improvement over the SD they were transmitting.

With good equipment, I believe they can dynamically allocate bandwith, so if WCWN doesn't need all they're allocated, it might be able to be used by the WRGB subchannel instead. I don't know if they're doing this. Are you able to tell from the bitrate measurements if the subchannel bitrates vary like this?
Gary in Pok is offline  
post #5168 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Member
 
NYota1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
No mention of Wten, but Media General has reached an agreement with COZI:

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2015/0...-in-4-new.html
WTEN? I know they're owned by Young Broadcasting. But does that have something to do with Media General as well?
WTEN is driving me nuts! I can't understand why they're "locked in" to LiveWell! An engineer there told me back in April that he agreed it has worn out its welcome...and it would be "soon" that LWN would be gone. But...one week from June, and it's still alive & kicking! It's like an old house guest that refuses to go home!
NYota1 is offline  
post #5169 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Pok View Post
With good equipment, I believe they can dynamically allocate bandwith, so if WCWN doesn't need all they're allocated, it might be able to be used by the WRGB subchannel instead. I don't know if they're doing this. Are you able to tell from the bitrate measurements if the subchannel bitrates vary like this?
Yes they do. I watched WCWN in TSReader Lite for a few minutes and the bit rates of the 3 subchannels varied with the content. With "Pay It Forward" on WCWN, "Firefox" on Grit and bullriding on WRGB, at one point WCWN was getting 6.99 Mbps, Grit had 1.16 and WRGB had 9.41. Compare that with the numbers in my earlier post. Grit didn't change much but this was during a fast-flying cockpit view; when it was just people in a room it went down to 1.02.

TSReader Lite is a free program (there are more capable versions at high prices) that supports a number of 8VSB (OTA) and clear QAM (cable) tuners that work with Windows PCs to show the specs of any digital channel tuned. I use it with HDHomeRun networked tuners.
ebo is offline  
post #5170 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Gary in Pok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Yes they do. I watched WCWN in TSReader Lite for a few minutes and the bit rates of the 3 subchannels varied with the content. With "Pay It Forward" on WCWN, "Firefox" on Grit and bullriding on WRGB, at one point WCWN was getting 6.99 Mbps, Grit had 1.16 and WRGB had 9.41. Compare that with the numbers in my earlier post. Grit didn't change much but this was during a fast-flying cockpit view; when it was just people in a room it went down to 1.02.

TSReader Lite is a free program (there are more capable versions at high prices) that supports a number of 8VSB (OTA) and clear QAM (cable) tuners that work with Windows PCs to show the specs of any digital channel tuned. I use it with HDHomeRun networked tuners.
I guess if they run out of bandwidth to share, WRGB on 45-3 is probably the one sacrificed and loses picture quality.

I don't have a PC tuner, and wonder how well they would work in my fringe area (I'm receiving these stations in Poughkeepsie, far from Albany, using a log-yagi anenna wih a preamp). I get all the major Albany stations to some extent, with 51 being iffy and 6 also sometimes a problem. 6 was initially not receivable when they first brought it up as a DTV station, until I found I had some equipment causing interference. Moving that got me 6, but lately, it has become not always receivable again. When its not, I'm glad to have a nice HD signal now on 45. The Kingson area translator comes in for me at full signal strength as shown on my TV, so I believe any pixelization or breakup I see in scene with a lot of movement is real due to compression, not due to my reception quality.
Gary in Pok is offline  
post #5171 of 5172 Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Member
 
wkomorow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
WTEN? I know they're owned by Young Broadcasting. But does that have something to do with Media General as well?
WTEN is driving me nuts! I can't understand why they're "locked in" to LiveWell! An engineer there told me back in April that he agreed it has worn out its welcome...and it would be "soon" that LWN would be gone. But...one week from June, and it's still alive & kicking! It's like an old house guest that refuses to go home!
On June 6, 2013, Young Broadcasting announced that it would merge with Media General.[12] The merger was approved by the FCC on November 8, after Media General shareholders approved the merger a day earlier;[13] it was completed on November 12.[14] wikipedia There are so many mergers, buy-outs and swaps this is tough to know who owns whom these days. I did not know Mr. G sold WGGB and really have seen very little difference in the station except they made a retrans with Dish.

BTW WRGB on 19.3 from JP looks incredible. I thought the SD looked pretty good before.
wkomorow is offline  
post #5172 of 5172 Old Today, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Scott_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WTEN has finally dropped Live Well (at least on TWC, I don't get it OTA). Channel 1241, which was Live Well, now just has a message that says "This station is no longer broadcasting."
Scott_J is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off