6Likes

post #5491 of 5508 Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What is at the other end of the cable, it seems as it is nothing?? If that is the case, did you think you didn't need an antenna??

(That wasn't a long post.)
That was sort of my question (#1)...I think what's on the other end is the cable box on the side of the house, connected to the pole. Assuming that's the case, what's acting as the antenna is what I'm trying to figure out.

The prior TV (with internal tuner) brought in OTA stations with the same set up.

Last edited by Audioh; 07-24-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5508 Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Then you are still paying for cable TV?
Are these stations digital or analog?

That Homework box IIRC doesn't do QAM (CATV) very well and I'm not sure about analog.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #5493 of 5508 Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Then you are still paying for cable TV?
Are these stations digital or analog?

That Homework box IIRC doesn't do QAM (CATV) very well and I'm not sure about analog.
No, I am not paying for cable.

At my house (and at my parents' house before the new tunerless TV), if I scan for channels with nothing connected to the TV RF-in, I get no returns. If I hook the cable from outside to the RF-in and scan (at my house its split into my cable modem), I get a number of local channels. More or less the below (and some variants, eg, 6.2, 6.3, etc.):

https://www.antennaweb.org/Stations?...ude=-73.762495

I'm as I said a bit ill informed as to how broadcast TV works. But I assumed that the cable already run into the house is somehow acting as a antenna.

Last edited by Audioh; 07-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.

post #5494 of 5508 Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Only 12 miles away? You are on top of them. AFA cable acting like an antenna, unless there is some serious ingress, that shouldn't be.
Then Spectrum isn't filtering the entire TV spectrum out. The 'in the clear' locals, or at least some of them are available. Can someone locally that knows TWC/Spectrum's system chime in here?

There is a thread in the Recorders sub-forum on that tuner/DVR (it's sold under a half a dozen different names. The most popular is the one in the 2nd link);
Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion
iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #5495 of 5508 Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
From your description, my guess is that you aren't getting the broadcast stations directly, you're getting Spectrum's retransmission of them. That would mean that your TV is set to receive cable channels rather than broadcast and that Spectrum isn't encrypting the locals in this area yet (but they can if they want to, so don't expect it to last).

I don't know if Spectrum still has analog channels. Did your parents' old TV have a digital tuner? The manual for the digital converter/DVR you got them doesn't indicate that it has an analog tuner but apparently it can tune unencrypted cable channels. On the Channel Search page, set Signal Type to Cable instead of Air and rescan. I won't get into the issue of whether it's legal or ethical to use cable-supplied signals without paying for them.

As a test of where you're getting your channels from, see if you get any that are not broadcast such as public, educational or government access channels (WMHT doesn't count).

If you want to get the local channels with an antenna, I'd start with an unamplified rabbit ears with loop for about $10-$15. A small panel antenna might be OK for UHF channels but would probably have trouble with high VHF (WXXA, WNYT and WNYA) and would be useless for low VHF (WRGB).
post #5496 of 5508 Old 07-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
From your description, my guess is that you aren't getting the broadcast stations directly, you're getting Spectrum's retransmission of them. That would mean that your TV is set to receive cable channels rather than broadcast and that Spectrum isn't encrypting the locals in this area yet (but they can if they want to, so don't expect it to last).

I don't know if Spectrum still has analog channels. Did your parents' old TV have a digital tuner? The manual for the digital converter/DVR you got them doesn't indicate that it has an analog tuner but apparently it can tune unencrypted cable channels. On the Channel Search page, set Signal Type to Cable instead of Air and rescan. I won't get into the issue of whether it's legal or ethical to use cable-supplied signals without paying for them.

As a test of where you're getting your channels from, see if you get any that are not broadcast such as public, educational or government access channels (WMHT doesn't count).

If you want to get the local channels with an antenna, I'd start with an unamplified rabbit ears with loop for about $10-$15. A small panel antenna might be OK for UHF channels but would probably have trouble with high VHF (WXXA, WNYT and WNYA) and would be useless for low VHF (WRGB).
Very interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll follow up and see if I can verify your theory.
post #5497 of 5508 Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
https://www.facebook.com/Meteorologi...790054273304:0

This is an outrage! Nick was a great meteorologist and very personable and well spoken. I can't believe his is being shown the door due to market research. I remember him on WRGB and thinking this guy is going places. Then he got the boot and ended up on WTEN in the morning. I had noticed him missing the few times I had been able to catch their morning news so I went checking and found this. Christina Erne couldn't carry his mic.

http://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/20...ogist-at-wten/

Dave
post #5498 of 5508 Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Any time a station hires a consultant to tell them how to improve their ratings there will be a shakeup, usually involving on-air personalities. The consultant will never say, "Don't change a thing; you're already doing the best you can." I remember when there were no on-air meteorologists (except Ray Falconer on radio, whose reports were fact-filled, accurate, straight-forward and dry as dust). Then one station hired a meteorologist and promoted that fact heavily ("I'll be back with MY forecast after the break"). Suddenly the other stations felt compelled to dump their often-popular weather reporters in favor of card-carrying meteorologists.

I sometimes wonder why they never took the next logical step and declared that politics could only be reported by a politician and crime by a police officer or at least a criminal. They could even hire someone who has been both an elected official and a convicted criminal to cover both. It's not too late; there are plenty of those around.
post #5499 of 5508 Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Any time a station hires a consultant to tell them how to improve their ratings there will be a shakeup, usually involving on-air personalities. The consultant will never say, "Don't change a thing; you're already doing the best you can." I remember when there were no on-air meteorologists (except Ray Falconer on radio, whose reports were fact-filled, accurate, straight-forward and dry as dust). Then one station hired a meteorologist and promoted that fact heavily ("I'll be back with MY forecast after the break"). Suddenly the other stations felt compelled to dump their often-popular weather reporters in favor of card-carrying meteorologists.

I sometimes wonder why they never took the next logical step and declared that politics could only be reported by a politician and crime by a police officer or at least a criminal. They could even hire someone who has been both an elected official and a convicted criminal to cover both. It's not too late; there are plenty of those around.
Didn't UBS try that with the "Mao Tse Tung Hour" and "The Howard Beale Show"?
post #5500 of 5508 Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I been thinking of tweaking my OTA reception. I'm considering adding another antenna to my setup if it brings in the channels.
I'd like to combine the signals of two antennas to my setup. The only adapters I have for Coax are signal splitters. So I have been looking around for some signal joiners/couplers.

These are what I found online so far:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-P...&wl13=&veh=sem
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-P...&wl13=&veh=sem
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digiwave-...&wl13=&veh=sem
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...itter-combiner

How would they do? I'm just looking for what will get the job done, not break the bank. lol
post #5501 of 5508 Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM

You can use almost any "splitter" in reverse as a combiner.

Is there a reason you want/need different 'tap' levels? You shouldn't have to spend more than a couple of bucks for a decent 'soldered back' splitters. Stay away from the old school 'glued back' splitters.

post #5502 of 5508 Old 08-16-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
You can use almost any "splitter" in reverse as a combiner.
I was told the they couldn't several years back. But I have a few laying around I can try.

Quote:
Is there a reason you want/need different 'tap' levels? You shouldn't have to spend more than a couple of bucks for a decent 'soldered back' splitters. Stay away from the old school 'glued back' splitters.
I have no clue. All I did was look for combiners online, and those are what I found. Soldered back or glued back, what's the difference?
Would any of combiners I listed work for me? Any better than the others? Or is there a better one out there?
post #5503 of 5508 Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 AM

You were told wrong.

A "splitter" divides or combines the signal with equal levels (normally I figure a 4db loss). A "tap" is rated with different values. From 4db up to 16db (maybe more) to 'balance' the 'taps' outputs depending on what is downstream. You shouldn't have to bother with any of that.

Yes, what you showed would work, but search for electronics outlets (distributors) not 'retail' stores. There you will get the best prices. That $9 one from RS is a perfect example.

This is one NOT to get;
https://www.cablewholesale.com/produ...yABEgLpL_D_BwE
Price is ok, but if you click on the .pdf link and read the specs, it states it's "epoxy sealed".

But, this is (note the "solder back" in the description);
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/0936...r-Tongue-SXRS2

Last edited by videobruce; 08-16-2017 at 05:11 AM.
post #5504 of 5508 Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

IN2tvClassics:
When combining two antennas it's likely that some stations will be received by both of them. Without filters, the signals will be mixed together. That can be a good thing if they add to give a stronger signal, but that usually requires planning. Often they fight each other, resulting in less signal, or the timing is different enough to cause multipath distortion, resulting in good signal level but poor signal quality. I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out that two antennas could give worse reception than one on certain channels. Sometimes moving one antenna relative to the other can make a difference in reception.
post #5505 of 5508 Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

videobruce's tag line says, "Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??"

There's no technical impediment to DVRs for ATSC3.They'd need compatible tuners, of course, and hardware to decode the new encoding formats for playback. I expected DVRs to become as common as VCRs but that didn't happen. LG and Sony made early DVRs (I bought LG's) but they didn't follow up with new, improved models. TiVo is popular but the guide service is expensive. There are a few other brands that most people don't know about.

Part of the problem is that most people want a grid guide and Rovi claims to hold a patent on grid guides because they own TV Guide (I wish someone with money would challenge that) so any DVR maker that wants to use a grid guide has to use theirs.

The best solution for the technically-inclined is a tuner that outputs to a computer. There are more good DVR software packages (some free) than there are OTA DVRs. Even a Raspberry Pi can be used as a DVR.
post #5506 of 5508 Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM

I will check out the splitters I have. This is what I'm working with OTA. I was thinking of using a second antenna to grab CH14.

Do you think it would that work for me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANT1.png
Views:	15
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	2268536  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANT I can ADD.jpg (5.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 08-17-2017 at 03:32 AM.
post #5507 of 5508 Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

IN2tvClassics:
I doubt that antenna you showed will help much with ch. 14. It's basically rabbit ears with a loop in a fancy case. Your best bet would probably be a Yagi antenna made specifically for ch. 14.

As for ch. 6, the most common reason people have trouble getting it is that they have tiny antennas and ch. 6 requires a large one. Not becuse the signal is weak but because the frequency is much lower than any of the other local stations.

When I got my first digital receiver, during the transition, WRGB was on ch. 39 and the lowest channel in use was 7. At 10 miles, a 4-bay bowtie in the attic did well on all of the UHF channels and adequately on the high VHF channels 7 and 12 (and later 13). But when WRGB moved to ch. 6, the bowtie wouldn't touch it. I built a folded dipole antenna out of twin lead, cut for ch. 6's half wavelength (~66"). Since I didn't use a reflector or directors, I was able to mount it on an attic wall so it doesn't take up much room. I use it for all of the local VHF channels and the bowtie for UHF. I use a UHF/VHF Splitter/Joiner (UVSJ) to combine them.

Twin lead antenna plans
post #5508 of 5508 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quote:
IN2tvClassics:
I doubt that antenna you showed will help much with ch. 14. It's basically rabbit ears with a loop in a fancy case. Your best bet would probably be a Yagi antenna made specifically for ch. 14.

As for ch. 6, the most common reason people have trouble getting it is that they have tiny antennas and ch. 6 requires a large one. Not because the signal is weak but because the frequency is much lower than any of the other local stations
That's the antenna I available to test with. If I seen some life, I'd get something else. Any particular Yagi I should look at? It will need to be indoors.
As for my main antenna I use a ClearStream 2. It seems like the ch 6 signal varies. For a while it was poor, then great, poor, now spotty.

Just ch 6 & ch 14 are giving me issues, all the rest come in perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page