Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5521 of 5548 Old 09-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No receiver just a Vizio HD TV (don't know model it was a gift), and Clearstream V2 antenna.

I can only do a full scan or partial scan. I don't have the option of adding channels manually.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5522 of 5548 Old 09-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can look at the back of the television to find out the model and then likely find a copy of the manual on the internet.

Television channels usually have two channel numbers, the "Virtual Channel Number" and the "Real Channel Number". The "Virtual Channel Number" is the historic channel number. The "Real Channel Number" is the actual channel it now broadcasts on (software displays the virtual number on screen).

Go to TVFool.com and do a map for your location. On the TV Fool Report there will be a "Chan" column. The first number is the "Real Channel" number and the number in parenthesis is the "Virtual Channel" number. For example, in your area WCDC (ABC) shows as 36 (19.1). Most likely if your TV allows manual programming you need to enter 36 and your television will automatically save it as 19.1 (and all sub=channels).
|
Or you can go to http://rabbitears.info/market.php?re...&callsign=wcdc
Jake V is offline  
post #5523 of 5548 Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
You can look at the back of the television to find out the model and then likely find a copy of the manual on the internet.

Television channels usually have two channel numbers, the "Virtual Channel Number" and the "Real Channel Number". The "Virtual Channel Number" is the historic channel number. The "Real Channel Number" is the actual channel it now broadcasts on (software displays the virtual number on screen).

Go to TVFool.com and do a map for your location. On the TV Fool Report there will be a "Chan" column. The first number is the "Real Channel" number and the number in parenthesis is the "Virtual Channel" number. For example, in your area WCDC (ABC) shows as 36 (19.1). Most likely if your TV allows manual programming you need to enter 36 and your television will automatically save it as 19.1 (and all sub=channels).
|
Or you can go to http://rabbitears.info/market.php?re...&callsign=wcdc
My locals:

WRGB 6 (6.1) CBS
WTEN-DT 26 (10.1) ABC
WCWN 43 (45.1) CW
WHMT-DT 34 (17.1) PBS
WNYT 12 (13.1) NBC
WXXA-TV 7 (23.1) FOX
WNYA-DT 13 (51.1) MyN
WYPX-DT 50 (55.1) ION

VIZIO Model: VO420E

http://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/legacy/vo420emanual.pdf

I don't see anything about adding channels manually. I can scan, partial scan, skip, etc.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
 
post #5524 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 04:39 AM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can just try it to see if it works.

For example, if your channel scan missed WTEN-DT 26 (10.1) ABC, you can try using your remote to tune to Channel 26. If your television finds a channel there it may automatically save it as channel 10.1 (and automatically add the sub-channels, if there are any).

You can also do a "Partial Channel Search" on your model (page 41 of the manual you posted) using the real channel number. Though if your television auto-search didn't find it the first time it may not find it with a partial search.

---

I browsed your older posts and did not find a discussion of your basic antenna information. If you'd like some additional information that may help can you you please post the following:

1. Your TV Fool Report (made using the direction at this link: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 )
2. Your antenna make and model (or post a picture), where it located (in the same room as the television, in the attic, on the balcony or roof).
3. The direction it is pointed in, what it sees as it is aimed in the direction of the towers (walls,trees, buildings, mountains, etc.).
4. A list of what channels you actually get and those that you don't get but want.

Here's a generic plot for Albany: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41645cdba5c

Your plot may be very different. But this plot shows that someone in downtown Albany has signals coming from two directions, northeast and west. That is a big factor in antenna pointing.
Jake V is offline  
post #5525 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
You can just try it to see if it works.

For example, if your channel scan missed WTEN-DT 26 (10.1) ABC, you can try using your remote to tune to Channel 26. If your television finds a channel there it may automatically save it as channel 10.1 (and automatically add the sub-channels, if there are any).

You can also do a "Partial Channel Search" on your model (page 41 of the manual you posted) using the real channel number. Though if your television auto-search didn't find it the first time it may not find it with a partial search.
I'll give the real numbers a try. But I've been doing all kinds of full scans & partial scans. I know what channels I should get, and ones I could "possibly get". The ones I could
possibly get are if all the conditions are right. No interference, good weather, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
I browsed your older posts and did not find a discussion of your basic antenna information. If you'd like some additional information that may help can you you please post the following:

1. Your TV Fool Report (made using the direction at this link: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 )
2. Your antenna make and model (or post a picture), where it located (in the same room as the television, in the attic, on the balcony or roof).
3. The direction it is pointed in, what it sees as it is aimed in the direction of the towers (walls,trees, buildings, mountains, etc.).
4. A list of what channels you actually get and those that you don't get but want.
1.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a45342768ba8

2/3. Clearstream 2V, mount on a board in the same room as the HDTV facing south. There is another building about 100ft (est) away. A few trees scattered around, but none
infront of my antenna.

4. Channels I can get:

WRGB 6 (6.1) CBS
(6.2) TBD
(6.3) Comet

WTEN-DT 26 (10.1) ABC
(10.2) GetTV
(10.3) Justice Network

*WNYT 12 (13.1) NBC
(13.2) MeTV
(13.3) H&I

WHMT-DT 34 (17.1) PBS
(17.2) Create
(17.3) World
(17.4) PBS Kids

WXXA-TV 7 (23.1) FOX
(23.2) OTB
(23.3) Laff

WCWN 43 (45.1) WB
(45.2) Charge
(45.3) CBS

WNYA-13 (51.1) MyN
(51.2) AntennaTV
(51.3) Decades

**WYPX-DT 50 (55.1) ION
(55.2) Qubo
(55.3) Ion Life
(55.4) Shop
(55.5) QVC
(55.6) HSN


* These channels come in double. I have two of each. So my channels go 13.1, 13.1, 13.2, etc.

** ION was coming in before. But now it is being fickle. Sometimes it will scan in, while it knocks out MyN. Then I need to rescan. I know the majority of the ION channels are junk, but I want ION.
To me it's a decent replacement for TBS & TNT for slightly new movies.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5526 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Questions 1, 2 & 3:

-- Y2/3. Clearstream 2V, mount on a board in the same room as the HDTV facing south. ------

Most of your channels come from the West (270 degrees using a compass): CBS, ABC, CW, PBS, NBC, FOX, MyN and others. They are pretty strong, so it is not surprising that your antenna picks them up (from the side) even if facing south.

ION comes from the Northwest (322 degrees using a compass). The Clearstream 2V has a reflector on the back. It reflects the signal coming from the direction the antenna is pointed to help capture the signal. It also blocks any signal coming from the back. When your antenna is facing south it blocks the ION signal coming from the NW.

Try aiming your Clearstream 2V to the West Northwest (about 320 degrees using a compass). You may need to try several locations in the room to find a sweet spot. May sure the antenna does not look through anything metal or anything electrical. This includes certain types of windows and window screens. If this gets you ION and if you loose any of the stations coming from the west (266 degrees) re-point it to 300 degrees).


Question 4 (sort of):

ION, which will show up on your display as 55.1 (etc.) actually broadcasts on Channel 50. Try using your tv remote to enter "50" and see what happens. Your tv may not support that, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by Jake V; 09-16-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Jake V is offline  
post #5527 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Try aiming your Clearstream 2V to the West Northwest (about 320 degrees using a compass). You may need to try several locations in the room to find a sweet spot. May sure the antenna does not look through anything metal or anything electrical. This includes certain types of windows and window screens. If this gets you ION and if you loose any of the stations coming from the west (266 degrees) re-point it to 300 degrees).
I'm limited to only South, Southeast, Southwest with this antenna. The other directions are walls. see diagram. This is the primary room for tv watching. Moving this antenna is not an option. I can not mount this antenna outside, on the roof, attic, etc. I'm in an apartment, and there are no balconies, or private areas either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Question 4 (sort of):
ION, which will show up on your display as 55.1 (etc.) actually broadcasts on Channel 50. Try using your tv remote to enter "50" and see what happens. Your tv may not support that, but it's worth a try.
I'm going to try that with all the channels an see what happens. I post back the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoomAnt.png
Views:	12
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	2283716  
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5528 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As an experiment, leave your antenna where it is and turn it to point it west, towards the wall you marked as west in your drawing. It's OK for this experiment that it 'looks' through the west wall.

If this helps, place your antenna on the east wall facing west (the metal reflector should be facing the east wall and the two round parts should face west).
Jake V is offline  
post #5529 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
As an experiment, leave your antenna where it is and turn it to point it west, towards the wall you marked as west in your drawing. It's OK for this experiment that it 'looks' through the west wall.

If this helps, place your antenna on the east wall facing west (the metal reflector should be facing the east wall and the two round parts should face west).

I don't think that's gonna work in this case. I posted this before, but here is a full layout of my apt. Facing completely West aims it at a wall, bedroom, bedroom, bathroom. While aiming it East will be
the kitchen, than another apt. Same layout just mirrored.

I tried all the Real channels and none of them showed up. Only the virtual channels worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APTXXX.png
Views:	17
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	2283718  
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5530 of 5548 Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for trying to enter the "real channel". Some TVs allow it, yours appears to not allow it.

I understand your concerns about pointing the antenna west. It is worth re-aiming the antenna to try it. The signals come from the west and northwest. That's worth trying.

[For what it is worth, my antenna is in the attic and 'looks' through the townhouse next to mine, and then through trees and other stuff.]
Jake V is offline  
post #5531 of 5548 Old 09-17-2017, 04:43 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well the West side of my apt goes out # ft then downhill through trees. Where it meets a road with houses on the other side. With more houses behind them and a bridge. A lot of metal for the signals to bounce off.

Although I do see a tower in that general direction. My apt isn't in the best line of sight for that tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APTX1.png
Views:	15
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2284004  
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5532 of 5548 Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It looks like your line of sight westward looks through the rest of your building and then over trees and the other buildings that are downhill from your location. That is good.

While it is certainly possible that the building, trees and other things block the signals coming from the west, since the antenna is mounted on a board near the television it should be a very easy 10 minute experiment to rotate it to face west and re-scan.

Try it. At least you'll know.
Jake V is offline  
post #5533 of 5548 Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried turning it an didn't see a change. The antenna dipoles are too close to the window/curtains. I am limited to where I can place this antenna.
Any other place in my apt is a safety hazard.

Would I see much of a difference if I was to upgrade to something like the ClearStream 4V?
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=c4-cjm

ClearStream 4MAX?
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 09-19-2017 at 05:49 AM.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5534 of 5548 Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you're stuck with pointing the antenna in the wrong direction, I doubt that a better antenna would help. Most higher-gain antennas are also more directional.

BTW, the reason you get WNYT twice is that you're getting it on both RF 12 and 18. 18 is lower power but it's only 7 miles away.

WYPX is a problem because it's over 30 miles away, NW, not LOS, and it's on RF 50. Higher frequencies are more easily blocked by land masses. That might get better when WYPX moves to RF 19 during the repack.

For test purposes, you could try setting up your antenna in the west-end bedroom facing the west wall. That's easiest if you have a TV small enough to take into the room, but you could use a long coax strung along the floor to the living room TV. Your reception will depend on what the wall is made of and what's in it.

Your diagram also seems to show a west-facing window in the bathroom, probably a tiny one. A panel antenna there might give good reception for the UHF stations, fair to poor for the high VHF channels (7-13) and none at all for 6. Only worth trying if you already have such an antenna or a UHF loop (often part of rabbit ears).

Of course there's one sure-fire way to improve your reception: Move.
ebo is offline  
post #5535 of 5548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
If you're stuck with pointing the antenna in the wrong direction, I doubt that a better antenna would help. Most higher-gain antennas are also more directional.

BTW, the reason you get WNYT twice is that you're getting it on both RF 12 and 18. 18 is lower power but it's only 7 miles away.

WYPX is a problem because it's over 30 miles away, NW, not LOS, and it's on RF 50. Higher frequencies are more easily blocked by land masses. That might get better when
WYPX moves to RF 19 during the repack.
I chatted with both Solid Signal & Antennas Direct. Solid Signal suggested I get another antenna. While Antennas Direct said my CSv2 is fine for my location.
It's just the matter of getting it positioned better. Repack? Would that help with all the OTA channels?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
For test purposes, you could try setting up your antenna in the west-end bedroom facing the west wall. That's easiest if you have a TV small enough to take into the room,
but you could use a long coax strung along the floor to the living room TV. Your reception will depend on what the wall is made of and what's in it.

Your diagram also seems to show a west-facing window in the bathroom, probably a tiny one. A panel antenna there might give good reception for the UHF stations,
fair to poor for the high VHF channels (7-13) and none at all for 6. Only worth trying if you already have such an antenna or a UHF loop (often part of rabbit ears).
I have the extra RadioShack antenna I could try. The outside walls are brick. While the windows are trimmed with metal. Dragging a coax throughout the apt is not
really an option. At least not right now.

Yes the window in the bathroom is tiny. It's in the shower, so that's not an optional mount. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Of course there's one sure-fire way to improve your reception: Move.
I would love to move. But that is not an option at the moment.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5536 of 5548 Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Repack? Would that help with all the OTA channels?
Not really. The link I gave you above shows the channel changes for the full power stations in the Albany area. WRGB will stay on 6 and WNYT on 12. The other two high VHF stations will move but still be in high VHF. Most of the UHF stations will move to lower UHF channels, which might help a bit if the change is large. WCDC will go away, which could be a problem for those who depend on it for retransmission of WTEN.

The purpose of the repack is not to improve reception but to sell off the higher frequencies, mostly to cellular providers.

I don't know what will happen to repeaters such as the several that WRGB and WNYT operate. Maybe you won't get two instances of WNYT anymore.
ebo is offline  
post #5537 of 5548 Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Entering a Channel Directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post

VIZIO Model: VO420E

http://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/legacy/vo420emanual.pdf

I don't see anything about adding channels manually. I can scan, partial scan, skip, etc.
I looked at the Visio User Manual and found the image of the remote control.
Every TV should work the same and I assume yours will too.
To enter any channel directly you simply press the buttons on the remote as follows:
If you want to go to channel 23.1 (or 23-1) you would press buttons 2 then 3 then the - (button to the right of the 0) and then the 1.
The TV might take a few seconds to accept the entry and then it will tune to that channel (if it has a signal).
If the channel has a signal it should store that channel.

Page 41 in the User Manual has the instructions for selecting channels that you want to skip.
Since the TV found two sets of Channel 13s, I assume you would want to skip one of them, but which one?
The real broadcast channels are actually 12 and 18 and they both display on the TV as 13 (the virtual channel).
Channel 12 comes from a tower where all the other channels are also broadcast from.
Channel 18 comes from a tower just outside of Troy, but in a different direction than all the other stations you want.
Follow the directions on page 41 and skip the second of all the channel 13s (the second 13.1, the second 13.2, and second 13.3).
DrDouger is offline  
post #5538 of 5548 Old 09-20-2017, 03:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Spectrum Repack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
The purpose of the repack is not to improve reception but to sell off the higher frequencies, mostly to cellular providers.

I don't know what will happen to repeaters such as the several that WRGB and WNYT operate. Maybe you won't get two instances of WNYT anymore.
I searched for information on the "spectrum repack" to see when I might be able to get Channel 55.
WYPX is part of Transition Phase: 4 which is scheduled for June 22, 2019 - August 2, 2019.
http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp

Last edited by DrDouger; 09-20-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added Title
DrDouger is offline  
post #5539 of 5548 Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDouger View Post
I looked at the Visio User Manual and found the image of the remote control.
Every TV should work the same and I assume yours will too. To enter any channel directly you simply press the buttons on the remote as follows:
If you want to go to channel 23.1 (or 23-1) you would press buttons 2 then 3 then the - (button to the right of the 0) and then the 1.
The TV might take a few seconds to accept the entry and then it will tune to that channel (if it has a signal). If the channel has a signal it should store that channel.
That is not the problem. I can easily change the channels via the remote. If I want FOX it's 23-1, ABC 10-1, AntennaTV 51-2, etc..
What I can't do is enter the "real" channels. IE: NBC 13-1 is really 12. 13-1 works fine, but entering 12 does nothing. That goes for all the stations. The virtual channels work, but the real channels do nothing. That goes for all the channels my antenna has dialed in or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDouger View Post
Page 41 in the User Manual has the instructions for selecting channels that you want to skip. Since the TV found two sets of Channel 13s, I assume you would want to skip one of them, but which one? The real broadcast channels are actually 12 and 18 and they both display on the TV as 13 (the virtual channel). Channel 12 comes from a tower where all the other channels are also broadcast from. Channel 18 comes from a tower just outside of Troy, but in a different direction than all the other stations you want. Follow the directions on page 41 and skip the second of all the channel 13s (the second 13.1, the second 13.2, and second 13.3).
I have no trouble setting the skip channel function. Some channels show up on some odd channel numbers like 110-12345, 95-345
So I skip those crazy repeat channels. I also skip the audio only channels.

It would be great if those Ch 13 doubles switched to something like Ch14 WYBN. Then they'd be useful.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5540 of 5548 Old 09-20-2017, 04:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Antenna Aiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I'm limited to only South, Southeast, Southwest with this antenna. The other directions are walls. see diagram.
Based on the TV Fool results you posted earlier and the room diagrams in the recent two posts, if the antenna is parallel to the window then it is facing due south and that is not aimed towards the local transmission towers. Also the AC might be affecting your signal. I would try to move the antenna to the window to the right of your AC and rotate it 45 degrees to face the SW, or better rotate it more to face the WSW. Not sure if this is a possibility, but could you open either window next to the AC and temporarily set an antenna on top of the AC outside of the window so you can aim it to face the WSW. Your current antenna is probably too big to try this but maybe a smaller model being outside and aimed better would work better than your current situation.

Consider trying a smaller model like these from Channel Master.
https://www.channelmaster.com/Indoor_Antennas_s/313.htm
DrDouger is offline  
post #5541 of 5548 Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Some channels show up on some odd channel numbers like 110-12345, 95-345
So I skip those crazy repeat channels. I also skip the audio only channels.
Those sound like QAM cable channels. I've never heard of broadcast channels using similar virtual numbers and of course they can't be actual broadcast channel numbers. Virtual major channel numbers shouldn't be higher than 69, the highest analog channel during the digital transition.
ebo is offline  
post #5542 of 5548 Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDouger View Post
Consider trying a smaller model like these from Channel Master.
https://www.channelmaster.com/Indoor_Antennas_s/313.htm
@ DrDouger

I only have the three windows in that room. Ex. Windows[1][2][3] Currently my antenna is sitting in front of window [1]. My air conditioner is installed in window [2]. Where it stays in for half the year. While window [3] is clear. Unfortunately I can't move the antenna to window [3] because it will be too close my couch and people will be bumping into it. My air conditioner will be coming out soon. I can try rotating my antenna 45 degrees to face SW. Mounting any antenna large or small outside is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Those sound like QAM cable channels. I've never heard of broadcast channels using similar virtual numbers and of course they can't be actual broadcast channel numbers. Virtual major channel numbers shouldn't be higher than 69, the highest analog channel during the digital transition.
The numbers I posted were just random. Those are not necessarily the actual numbers I seen. The doubles looked more like this: ABC 10-1 but it also appeared on a channel like 121-1, 121-2. It's like the "TV Spectrum" found some space plopped ABC there. A few other stations also appeared like this. So I skipped those oddball channels. I'd rather have to remember my local channels than those others.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5543 of 5548 Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
The numbers I posted were just random. Those are not necessarily the actual numbers I seen. The doubles looked more like this: ABC 10-1 but it also appeared on a channel like 121-1, 121-2. It's like the "TV Spectrum" found some space plopped ABC there. A few other stations also appeared like this. So I skipped those oddball channels. I'd rather have to remember my local channels than those others.
That still sounds like cable. If you can get such channels without connecting to your house cable system, then something either in your apartment or a nearby one must be radiating the cable system into the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
My air conditioner is installed in window [2]. . . Mounting any antenna large or small outside is not an option.
Unless you mount it in a large plastic box disguised to look like the back end of an air conditioner.

Last edited by ebo; 09-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.
ebo is offline  
post #5544 of 5548 Old 09-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
That still sounds like cable. If you can get such channels without connecting to your house cable system, then something either in your apartment or a nearby one must be radiating the cable system into the air.

Unless you mount it in a large plastic box disguised to look like the back end of an air conditioner.
I have to pay to use air conditioner(s), so that wouldn't help. When I tried the antenna facing west it didn't improve anything. I'll try it again when I take out my air conditioner for the season.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5545 of 5548 Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Member
 
NYota1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
According to Cozi-TV's website, they're on WYBN-14.... which I suppose means we'll NEVER see it up here!!!
I know we have Antenna TV, Decades, etc.... but I'm greedy, and have wanted COZI as well, for a long time now! According to their site, they're also in Syracuse and Utica.
IN2tvClassics likes this.

Last edited by NYota1; 10-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.
NYota1 is offline  
post #5546 of 5548 Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
IN2tvClassics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Capital District Area (Troy, NY)
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cozi TV would be a great addition to the OTA in our area. Although Decades has been flaky lately. It's available OTA & on Cable. But the signal varies each day.
IN2tvClassics is offline  
post #5547 of 5548 Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
According to Cozi-TV's website, they're on WYBN-14.... which I suppose means we'll NEVER see it up here!!!
I know we have Antenna TV, Decades, etc.... but I'm greedy, and have wanted COZI as well, for a long time now! According to their site, they're also in Syracuse and Utica.
NYota1, I would imagine there are some people in the Albany / Schenectady / Troy area who can receive WYBN (the channel 14's). Do you have a large enough antenna and are you using an amplifier? I cannot receive the 14's and I have tried several antennas and amplifiers. Doing a quick check on TVFool it looks like you might be able to get WYBN (not sure about your exact location), but it looks like you would need an outdoor roof mounted antenna and an amplifier. A while back I did some driving around with a potable TV and was able to pick it up in Cohoes at a high location on Route 9 across just south of the Mohawk River. That location has a clear view west so I figured I might get some Utica stations, but I was surprised to get the 14's. It does not show up on the TVFool report, but Cosi also shows coming from Utica on WVVC Channel 40.4 (virtual 40's / real is 33). Figured you might get a clear view WNW to Utica, but the transmission tower (south and east of Utica) is probably ~75 miles away from you. WYBN is showing ~35 miles away but not sure what might be in the path to block the signal.
DrDouger is offline  
post #5548 of 5548 Old 10-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Member
 
NYota1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Doc ..... I 've given up on the 14's. I have an 91XG rig on the roof, w/amp, and after trying two or three others before it, I'm done. According to TVFool, WYBN is a dead-issue up here, and their signal is just plain flaky anyway! According to the coverage map, there's a "green" area up near Rt 5S (Rotterdam Junction) which I took the TV and antenna to last week..........guess what........ zero, zip, nada! So much for the coverage map . IMHO they've been a sham from the beginning. I remember the newspaper article when they announced the station, saying it would be the first NEW station to hit the Albany area in 20-some years. HA! Well that's pretty funny since barely no one can get it! I don't know why TW (Spectrum) doesn't add it.... since they've now added Decades, AntennaTV and H&I to the service.

No, I can't get Utica either. Not even WKTV. To the NW I see all the 55's, plus a couple of repeaters for 13 & 45, and WNCE-8 (Glens Falls) which is another false promise! Over two years ago there was talk of them adding a retro channel to their 8.2 sub. But to this day it's still only "color bars".

You know I just realized (because I was lazy yesterday) that I don't think Cozi IS on WYBN. Don't know why (unless it's old) it appears on the Cozi channel map. So maybe....that COULD mean that it might be up for grabs around here. WNYT should add it to the WNYA roster!

Last edited by NYota1; 10-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
NYota1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off