Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked mine up my OTA receiver this evening.

Can't get WMHT with a RS indoor antenna right now.

I have a Channel Master 5646 on order that I will install in my attic this weekend.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul B. Musser
How mamny people out there do you guys think are actually trying to set up a OTA setup (or have done it) in the Capital Region because they cant get HD from TWC?

Paul

Not many....most people are totally clueless about what's going on (even with the Super Bowl coming up)...and if they do know...their clueless on how to solve the problem. They don't have time to sit on a message board all night like most of us.

...and MasterFX1....that's a NO!...just because

John
post #543 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MasterFX1
I am experiencing unwatchable levels of break-up on both 6-1 and 6-2 right now, despite excellent signal strength. I don't know about 13-1, try harrassing their newsroom.

Poll Stats: 6 Yes, 1 (I think) No.

Actually, I have excellent signal strength, with absolutely no breakups what so ever..........on WTEN-HD TWC (CH. 1810)....and ya know...I can't even remember the last time I had a weak signal.

P.S. WXXA-HD (TWC CH. 1808) is looking pretty damn good too!!

"Wired to the Pole" ain't to Shabby!

John
post #544 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lufters
Actually, I have excellent signal strength, with absolutely no breakups what so ever..........on WTEN-HD TWC (CH. 1810)....and ya know...I can't even remember the last time I had a weak signal.

P.S. WXXA-HD (TWC CH. 1808) is looking pretty damn good too!!

Hilarious! LOL

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #545 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

most people are totally clueless about what's going on

I think this statement works both ways..

I can't tell you about the many people I know that own HD compatible television sets and aren't even concerned about receiving HDTV..

Sure , they were all informed at the time of purchase they would need a seperate "whatcha-ma-callit" box to receive HDTV, but after setting up the bigscreen all that escaped their minds.. they're happy with what they have and see no reason for an upgrade..

In a different perspective, I was approached today by another friend who is about to take a $3500 plunge on a LCD flat panel and wasn't aware that his HD choices were going to be very limited via TWC, he thought all the channels would be HD... wow!

Visit me at petedz.com
post #546 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hilarious! LOL

Yeah, especially when you receive the monthly bill, what a riot!

Hey luft..I'll admit, that was a good one and I bet you were just waiting for the opportunity to let that one out!

Visit me at petedz.com
post #547 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:34 PM

Tconnors, what antenna are you using?
post #548 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by justman
Tconnors, what antenna are you using?

It's a indoor Radio Shack 15-1880. I think it cost $50.

I have a SIR 151, I get about 75% signal strength. I've read that's as high as it will go. I don't know if that true or not, but the picture is great.
post #549 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lufters
Not many....most people are totally clueless about what's going on (even with the Super Bowl coming up)...and if they do know...their clueless on how to solve the problem. They don't have time to sit on a message board like all night like most of us.

...and MasterFX1....that's a NO!...just because

Me. ONLY because of CBS though. They seem to have WAY more HDTV content (in higher resolutions) than the others. Plus I like CSI and Cold Case. Although I've not watched Law & Order yet (waiting for reruns to finish).

One station I REALLY wish had HDTV? Sci Fi. Only seen it on VOOM! though. And I'm not about to spend $700 plus $70/month. that's a little too pricey.
post #550 of 5012 Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BreakStuff
Yeah, especially when you receive the monthly bill, what a riot!

Hey luft..I'll admit, that was a good one and I bet you were just waiting for the opportunity to let that one out!

I couldn't help myself on that one.

Yeah, I do laugh at my TWC bill every month....what a Joke!

John
post #551 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 02:56 AM

Tconnors,
Yesterday I went to return my RS 15-1880 antenna at the store in Latham Farms (where I bought it) and the manager couldn't believe one of his salesman had sold it to me because it is supposed to be off the shelf now because, "It doesn't work." 2 weeks ago the guy found it in the back room for me.

It never worked well or me, but neither did the Silver Sensor. Just thought that was interesting.

I never did get my 3250 box to tell me the resolution of the programming. Possibly its down in the over scan of my Toshiba?

I'll try my other system when I get a chance.

Can I vote yes again if it means getting CBS on TWC by Sunday? :>

Paul B. Musser
Visit Loudon Theater at:
http://home.nycap.rr.com/pbm1/loudon.htm
post #552 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:

ken.martin: Your situation is quite interesting. Do you now get WXXA-DT also? So your total Video services bill is basic analog plus $7 for the STB to get the HD locals? Can you trade your tuner in for the latest model?

I cancled my service because at the time I had three HD tuners and was getting only one channel (this was before WXXA-DT was on TWC) So I was paying $21 (3 STBs * $7) per month for only one channel and that didn't make a ton of sense. I figure if TWC gets all the major networks then I will reevaluate. The tuners were SA3250's.
post #553 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If a standard QAM tuner can decode the locals free of charge (legally), then TWC may (I said may) have a leg to stand on.
post #554 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Would you pay an extra $1 a month to TWC to receive all of the local channels (Including WNYT, WRGB, WMHT and WEWB) in High Definition?

Hypothetically, if each broadcaster demanded $0.10 per subscriber, the total increase in programming costs to TWC would be $0.60. Charging $1, would allow TWC to profit $0.40 per subscriber.

Yes
post #555 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

7 Yes, 1 No. (And I suspect the 1 "No" would cave and get it anyway.)

It was brought to my attention that when Capital News 9 launched, the basic cable package went up $2 to compensate the cost of the new news service.

I suspect my reception troubles with 6-1 and 6-2 are due to ghosting in my signal. I brought the Tuner to work and it performed fine. Why this problem would suddenly show up this week of all weeks is truely cruel. (And Lufters, spare me the forthcoming remark, TWC does not offer any service to my address)
post #556 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:

(And Lufters, spare me the forthcoming remark, TWC does not offer any service to my address)

!!

John
post #557 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:

7 Yes, 1 No. (And I suspect the 1 "No" would cave and get it anyway.)

It was brought to my attention that when Capital News 9 launched, the basic cable package went up $2 to compensate the cost of the new news service.

I suspect my reception troubles with 6-1 and 6-2 are due to ghosting in my signal. I brought the Tuner to work and it performed fine. Why this problem would suddenly show up this week of all weeks is truely cruel. (And Lufters, spare me the forthcoming remark, TWC does not offer any service to my address)

MasterFX1,
If by ghosting you mean "multicasting" you may need a more directional antenna. I'm in Kingston, so I have distance concerns, but the first antenna I tried was a CM 4228 which is not very directional. Strong signal but breakups, and on the analog stations I had ghosting. Switched to a Yagi, CM 4248 and the signal is great. No problems with 6-1, 6-2. 17-1, and 17-3 (I think that is what WMHT is using???), even during last nights snow storm. You may want to try a Yagi to eliminate the reflected signal. The 4248 is overkill from your distance, but a smaller Yagi may help.......

BTW, I vote no for TWC. I have Directv and when I wanted to get Road Runner from TWC, they wanted $20 a month more than the going rate because I didn't get Digital Cable from them. I wouldn't go near TWC for anything again. I did get my service through Earthlink for $8 a month less than TWC's best rate

The only difference tween the men and the boys, is the size of their feet and the price of their toys! - Guy Clark
post #558 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I suspect my reception troubles with 6-1 and 6-2 are due to ghosting in my signal. I brought the Tuner to work and it performed fine.

...and where would work be, WRGB or WNYT??.....or did you go and hook up your Tuner directly to the new tower?

I bet you got perfect reception at that point.."Wired to the Pole"!

John
post #559 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 AM

I would pay 1 dollar a month extra for hdtv locals.

I am reluctantly using twc since I rent an apartment, and don't have a balcony or anything similar to hang a dish on.

What I really want is a real allacarte service. I turned on the Paris-Dakar Rally a few weeks back and found I no longer had speed vision. In order to get speed vision, I had to add a bunch of weird sports channels for a small fee. While I didn't mind this, why can't I remove the blocks of crappy music video channels, or "chick" show channels. (Not that my gf would let me). I think a tiered service is a good thing, but it must be done uniformly. I'm sure the economics of the industry won't allow this, but it would be my ideal.
post #560 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I actually have a sale pending on my house in R'ville and will be moving to a temp apartment in Clifton Park for a few months, so it makes no sense to pursue new antennas on my current house. I will probably become a *gasp* TWC customer, atleast during my apartment tenure, but mostly because I have not had broadband internet in 4 years. I'll never get rid of my OTA HD tuner though.

It is worth pointing out that of the 6 homes I have viewed as a buyer, 5 of them had an HD monitor in the living room! All homes are listed between 145K-165K. The one seller that did not have one was an 80+ years old widow.

On another note: Winegard introduced a revolutionary outdoor antenna design. http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm

Poll Results: 8 Yes, 1 No.
post #561 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul B. Musser
Tconnors,
Yesterday I went to return my RS 15-1880 antenna at the store in Latham Farms (where I bought it) and the manager couldn't believe one of his salesman had sold it to me because it is supposed to be off the shelf now because, "It doesn't work." 2 weeks ago the guy found it in the back room for me.

That's funny, the radio shack guy in the clifton country mall told me that was the best one for HD indoor that they had. That was about two month ago. They must have gotten a lot of returns.
I have been lucky, I've had very few reception problems. It was really plug and play for me
post #562 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Would you pay an extra $1 a month to TWC to receive all of the local channels (Including WNYT, WRGB, WMHT and WEWB) in High Definition?

Hypothetically, if each broadcaster demanded $0.10 per subscriber, the total increase in programming costs to TWC would be $0.60. Charging $1, would allow TWC to profit $0.40 per subscriber.

I hate to think of owing TWC more money (it won't be long before I'll be washing dishes at their HQ), but I would pay $1/mo extra to get local HD.
post #563 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 04:48 PM

I hooked up my DVI cable to my SA 3250 last week and it works great, but...

My system also has a TiVo which is hooked up to the S-Video output of the 3250. Well, it turns out that whenever TiVo tried to record anything when the TV is off, all I get is a 3250 error screen "DVI Alert" telling me that my TV is not HDCP-enabled and I need to use the composite video connection.

As far as I can figure, when the TV is off, the 3250 doesn't get the HDCP handshaking it needs and decides that I am trying to do something illegal with the digital signal whenever TiVo tries to change channels.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anybody know of a workaround? I don't plan to keep the TV on around the clock to get TiVo to work! I tried talking to TWC about it, but they just say that they don't know anything about TiVo. I don't think this is a TiVo issue; it's an issue of using the analog port of the cable box while the DVI port is enabled.

Ideas anybody?
post #564 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RWSimon
As far as I can figure, when the TV is off, the 3250 doesn't get the HDCP handshaking it needs and decides that I am trying to do something illegal with the digital signal whenever TiVo tries to change channels.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anybody know of a workaround? I don't plan to keep the TV on around the clock to get TiVo to work! I tried talking to TWC about it, but they just say that they don't know anything about TiVo. I don't think this is a TiVo issue; it's an issue of using the analog port of the cable box while the DVI port is enabled.

Ideas anybody?

I have a TiVo setup with my 3250. However, I split my incoming cable feed so one goes to the TiVo and one goes to the 3250. If you don't have premium channels & don't want to record any of the "digital only" channels, you can do this.

You can also rent another STB from TWC and use that with our TiVo.

It is the DVI connection that is causing your problem.

When you turn on the TV in DVI mode, does it display "white snow"? Mine does. In order to get rid of the "snow" and display the video, I have found that holding the SELECT button for 3 seconds on the 3250 (until the message light comes on), then press VOL- (HdSr should show on the 3250 display), and then press VOL+ (to set to 1080i). The picture immediately displays on the TV.

You may find more info in the
SA3250 Comprehensive Review Guide - Notes and Setup thread.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #565 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Greg must be working the master control center at WNYT again.. no HDTV on NBC yet..

Visit me at petedz.com
post #566 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BreakStuff
Greg must be working the master control center at WNYT again.. no HDTV on NBC yet..

Did you call? See my post concerning What to do when an HDTV program is not in HD.

Whoopi is not in HD on WNYT, but Navy CSI on WRGB is.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #567 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought Whoopi was in HD, I know I've seen it HD before. I solved my reception problem literally jiggling one of the cables in my setup. Go figure. Guess even a slight interference can whack-out a single digital channel in the lineup.
post #568 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
Did you call? See my post concerning What to do when an HDTV program is not in HD.

Whoopi is not in HD on WNYT, but Navy CSI on WRGB is.

Here's one for you.

I called 13 asked them to turn the HD feed on. I was told it was on. I asked if they were seeing a 16x9 picture, dead silence, then I ask if there was black bars on the sides. He said yes! The guy in master control apparently doesn't know what a HD is supposed to look like. He said he'd look into it, asked me to hold, then hung up!

It really drives me nuts.

Maybe something with NBC, maybe 13 will figure out what HD should look like.
post #569 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I asked if they were seeing a 16x9 picture, dead silence, then I ask if there was black bars on the sides. He said yes!

ROFLMAO!

Visit me at petedz.com
post #570 of 5012 Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 PM

My TWC 3250 box was reset again to Channel 01 when I got home tonight.

Not sure if this is new...or maybe I haven't noticed...but whenever you press the double 00 button on the remote...it changes the stretch modes.

John
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page