Albany, NY - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Albany, NY - HDTV
slayerav's Avatar slayerav 08:07 AM 01-31-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by lufters
Anybody getting audio dropouts on HBO-HD on TWC?

I was getting dropouts (just little 1/2 second blips) on a couple of the non-HD HBO channels yesterday.

AlbanyHDTV's Avatar AlbanyHDTV 09:01 AM 01-31-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by ken.martin
The broadcast basic includes probably 20 channels up here and costs something like $8. The channels include all the locals plus CNN, Weather Channel, Time Warner's Local News Channel, NASA Channel.

What channel is the NASA channel on TWC?
slayerav's Avatar slayerav 09:23 AM 01-31-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
What channel is the NASA channel on TWC?

In Clifton Park, it is on channel 14. However, I don't think it's available at all in Albany. I've emailed TWC about it and never received a response.
MasterFX1's Avatar MasterFX1 05:38 PM 01-31-2004
Re-posted for relevance from post #187, as requested by a forum user.

A local Master Control Operator "Asleep at the Wheel." This is the single most common nationwide reason a show supposed to be in HD isn't.

When this happens to a show you want to watch you may consider the following:

1. Call that station's newsroom phone (listed in phone book)
2. Ask for Master Control
3. If they say "Why?" or "No," tell them that you thought the show on their air right now was supposed to be in High Definition and wanted to ask the Master Control Operator if that was true.
4. If you get the Master Control Operator just ask him the same question.

9 times out of 10, this will get the dude to "Flip the switch." However, once I called WNYT's newsroom phone to inquire about a West Wing episode they dropped the ball on, and the newsroom person wrongly told me I wouldn't see anything because they were not HD yet. So results will vary from person to person... especially on nights and weekends.

I urge you to e-mail your disappointment when this happens to either the GM and/or Chief Engineer of the "Ball-Dropping" station. The more they realize people are expecting their HD, the more scrutinizing managers will be of their operators, the less often mistakes like this will continue.
AlbanyHDTV's Avatar AlbanyHDTV 05:47 PM 01-31-2004
Does anyone else see 7 black pistripes on Seinfeld while watching channel 1808 at 7:45PM? If I switch to 0008, the pinstripes are not shown.

What's up with that?

I don't have these pinstripes on any of the other 1800 series HD channels.
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 06:13 PM 01-31-2004
I seen them during Mad Max today on 1808 also.
Tconnors's Avatar Tconnors 07:43 PM 01-31-2004
Just talked to Master Control. They told me that they are not receiving the HD feed from the network. This has been happening the last couple of days. He just got in and didn't know why. Said he was working on it

At least he understood what I was talking about, that's a plus!
BreakStuff's Avatar BreakStuff 07:54 PM 01-31-2004
I just emailed WNYT about the latest HD broadcast problems..

I was ready to lay into them and rip them apart, but I held back and assumed it was a hardware issue and not user error... I believe they won't let us down and they will be back to normal in no time...
AlbanyHDTV's Avatar AlbanyHDTV 06:15 AM 02-01-2004
TWC's on-screen guide lists "Super Bowl Press Conference" from 8:00AM to 4:00PM today on INHD1. However, at 8:03AM, a show about Wyoming was being shown.

An impressive list of upcoming high profile events on INHD is shown here.
MasterFX1's Avatar MasterFX1 06:23 AM 02-01-2004
The lead story in yesterdays (Saturday) Gazette was about the stand-off between WRGB and TWC. I do not subscribe to the online edition so I cannot copy paste for you. Tom Long (Whose last day was Friday) was quoted as saying something to the effect of... "If you knew how much money we are actually fighting for, you would laugh, and then you would be angry at TWC for not providing it."

Also of note: The article says TWC has 5000 High Def Subscribers. Where that info comes from is unknown. (I estimate TWC has 250,000 total subscribers in the market.)

The new GM is Bob Furlong. I will post his e-mail when I learn it. Monday's his first day so don't beat him up too bad. Remember, he is inheriting the situation. He is new to the company that owns WRGB and no one knows his feelings on these matters yet.
AlbanyHDTV's Avatar AlbanyHDTV 06:47 AM 02-01-2004
Today's Times Union has an article on page CC2 titled:

CBS promises 'judicious' use of gadgets

No HDTV: From a consumer perspective, the best technological innovation of this generation has been high-definition television. CBS will offer the Super Bowl in high-def, but Time Warner Cable has not cut a deal with local affiliate WRGB (Ch. 6) to air the HDTV signal.

"We invested a couple of million bucks, and we are not going to give it away for free," WRGB general manager Tom Long said.

Cable companies argue they shouldn't have to pay for something that anyone can pick up with a rooftop antenna.

Unless an 11th-hour agreement is reached, HDTV set owners either will need an antenna or a satellite dish to get the enhanced signal today.

The entire article is posted here.
DaBlueMeanie's Avatar DaBlueMeanie 07:46 AM 02-01-2004
The Bottom Line Is-
WRGB is holding the superbowl (and any other HDTV programming) hostage over what they are calling a nominal amount.

I dont watch football, I do however understand that it is the most watched annual event on television.

Frankly this pissing contest over a "MattersOf Principle" has enraged me.

Time Warner is not charging their digital customers anything for HDTV channels at this time. (even though an HDTV box is required). Most consumer sites suggest getting HDTV's without HDTV tuners. Therfore the 2 hdtv's in this house have no tuners in them. We are not going to purchase a tuner and an antenna to recieve one station, WHY SHOULD WE IF THE SIGNAL IS FREE!

I totally understand Time Warner's stance in this situation!

This situation should have been resolved by now. WRGB has burned football fans all over the capital district by using them as pawns to manipulate Time Warner into an agreement.

I see WRGB as being the culprit and I am going to boycott their advertisers until they release the HDTV signal and urge others to do the same. I also intend to tell their advertsers that.

I created an MSN GROUP (named ShameOnWRGB) as a means to inform people and get their feedback. Feel free to join it and post any feedback or information there.
BreakStuff's Avatar BreakStuff 08:51 AM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by DaBlueMeanie
I created an MSN GROUP (named ShameOnWRGB) as a means to inform people and get their feedback. Feel free to join it and post any feedback or information there.

So why not include groups called ShameOnWNYT and ShameOnWMHT, I don't see TWC broadcasting these either..
AlbanyHDTV's Avatar AlbanyHDTV 08:55 AM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by BreakStuff
So why not include groups called ShameOnWNYT and ShameOnWMHT, I don't see TWC broadcasting these either..

You seem a little defensive....

Would you happen to be employed by WRGB?
lufters's Avatar lufters 09:04 AM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by DaBlueMeanie
The Bottom Line Is-
WRGB is holding the superbowl (and any other HDTV programming) hostage over what they are calling a nominal amount.

I dont watch football, I do however understand that it is the most watched annual event on television.

Frankly this pissing contest over a "MattersOf Principle" has enraged me.

Time Warner is not charging their digital customers anything for HDTV channels at this time. (even though an HDTV box is required). Most consumer sites suggest getting HDTV's without HDTV tuners. Therfore the 2 hdtv's in this house have no tuners in them. We are not going to purchase a tuner and an antenna to recieve one station, WHY SHOULD WE IF THE SIGNAL IS FREE!

I totally understand Time Warner's stance in this situation!

This situation should have been resolved by now. WRGB has burned football fans all over the capital district by using them as pawns to manipulate Time Warner into an agreement.

I see WRGB as being the culprit and I am going to boycott their advertisers until they release the HDTV signal and urge others to do the same. I also intend to tell their advertsers that.

I say boycott WRGB also...don't watch their news and TV shows (only when nessessary...like the Super Bowl and Grammys).....and make sure you boycott their advertisers. Let's see how much "money" they'll lose now.

They're not going to hold me hostage!

....and when I'm done with WRGB...TWC will be probably next!

DirecTV here I come!
definitely's Avatar definitely 09:17 AM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
TWC's on-screen guide lists "Super Bowl Press Conference" from 8:00AM to 4:00PM today on INHD1. However, at 8:03AM, a show about Wyoming was being shown.

An impressive list of upcoming high profile events on INHD is shown here.

My TV Guide program guide and the INHD web site say "Discoveries...America" is running all throughout the morning today.

The INHD web site used to say something in the sports section about press conferences about a week ago but it looks like the schedule changed and your program guide didn't get the update.
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 09:19 AM 02-01-2004
In the HD programming forum I see some last minute deals with CBS today. Some CBS channels through TWC will only be on today for the big game but will go off air tomorrow so further deals can be worked out. One area will have CBS turned on at 12pm. What are the odds of this happening here in the capitol region today.
lufters's Avatar lufters 09:26 AM 02-01-2004
Quote:

Maybe because their not holding me Hostage with the most watched show of the year called the Super Bowl. It's not my fault WRGB is an affilate of CBS.

It sounds like WRGB would be in an equal postion..if not better to make up their "miilions of dollars" in upgrades anyway. Today would have been a great starting point with the digital feed to TWC.

Why aren't WXXA and WTEN complaining about spending millions?? What about MOST of the other locals across the country that have deals in place with the cable companies??

Spending money to upgrade is part of being a TV station...if they don't like it...their definetly in the wrong buisness! I'm sure another company would love to take CBS out of the hands of WRGB and broadcast it locally.

Nuff said!
BreakStuff's Avatar BreakStuff 09:26 AM 02-01-2004
WMHT has been experiencing break-ups and pixelization the past 12 hours that might be related to broadcasting corrections. Geometry has been corrected and I no longer notice overscan on PBS-HD..
DaBlueMeanie's Avatar DaBlueMeanie 12:13 PM 02-01-2004
Quote:

Could it possibly be because I feel that WRGB is holding FOOTBALL FANS in the capital district hostage over what they are calling a NOMINAL AMOUNT?

If the amount is so nominal then WHAT IS THE POINT!

Is a nominal amount of money more important than their audience?

IT SEEMS SO to me!
**** WRGB!'s Avatar **** WRGB! 12:30 PM 02-01-2004
After the game no more WRGB in my household. I own a business and I am constantly investing money back into it, it's an essential component, I don't look for hand outs. What lame excuses that they are offering. Shame,shame,shame WRGB!
BreakStuff's Avatar BreakStuff 01:50 PM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by **** WRGB!
I own a business and I am constantly investing money back into it

It's understood you have to invest money back into your company,but in doing so, do you also give away your product at no cost?
DaBlueMeanie's Avatar DaBlueMeanie 02:00 PM 02-01-2004
Quote:
It's understood you have to invest money back into your company,but in doing so, do you also give away your product at no cost?

The Product is paid for when we purchase from their advertisers

That is how the television industry has been functioning for over 50 years didnt you know?
DaBlueMeanie's Avatar DaBlueMeanie 02:06 PM 02-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by **** WRGB!
After the game no more WRGB in my household. I own a business and I am constantly investing money back into it, it's an essential component, I don't look for hand outs. What lame excuses that they are offering. Shame,shame,shame WRGB!

WRGB made these updates because the FCC requires they be in place by 2005. This is a typical upgrade cost for a tevevision station.

The advertisers should be raising hell, after all they are the ones that are paying for wrgb's upgrade arent they?

Things that make me go HMMMMMM
**** WRGB!'s Avatar **** WRGB! 02:12 PM 02-01-2004
As a consumer the last place I want to be is stuck in the middle of a dispute such as this, it is greed at its worst. If WRGB were even a little consumer friendly they would have figured out a way to provide the signal for today then go back to negotiating an agreement thereafter. There simply is no argument that can defend WRGB execs. Why were so many other affiliates able to negotiate a deal? Even DirecTV is broadcasting in high def. but unfortunately mostly to major cities. And just to note, many of my expenditures are not made just to make a buck, sometimes you have to spend money to keep up with technology and trends,simply part of the cost of doing business. SHAME,SHAME,SHAME WRGB, get a clue!!!!
MasterFX1's Avatar MasterFX1 02:49 PM 02-01-2004
The FCC has never required HDTV. The FCC only requires 480i. So why should a station invest in converting to full-blown HD if the revenue they generate (and the ratings) is exactly the same? In all the other markets that CBS is on a cable or sat system in HD, the MSO compensated the provider for the signal. This happens to be one of the few markets in which TWC sees fit to keep fighting... And WRGB is not going it alone, it's the Superbowl that is focusing the attention on CBS affilaites. WNYT also has stated publicly they are having negotiating disputes with TWC. ESPN-HD and TWC cannot reach an agreement either.

WNYT has the Daytona 500 in HD this month. It is the second most watched live televised event of the year... and it's not available from TWC. They also have the Olympics in HD. No one seems to care yet!?! That's becasue the Superbowl is THIS week and that's what viewers care about- right here, right now. So will WNYT become the new whipping boy after next week?

As far as I can tell, the cheapest way to get HD on TWC is to pay around $20/mo. (Broadcast Basic $9 + STB $8 + FCC franchise Fee $3)... That's $240/Year. I plan on watching HD for more than 2 years, so to me, my own OTA-HD box is way cheaper.

Retail stores have a tendendacy to advise consumers they don't want a OTA-HD tuner built-in or STB because they don't want to risk losing a sale over the price; or their inventory is filled with HDTV-no-tuner sets... Or they were MISTAKENLY informed that cable will automatically have all the locals.

TWC charges for advertisements on their cable system, yet cable is not offered for free. Subscibers pay to see content via cable, yet they are still subjected to advertisements on almost all the non-premium channels. Why is OK for the cable company to charge for both content and advertisements, but not a local affiliate?

The real shame is on the viewer who believed that TWC would do what they needed to, and chose not to invest in OTA-HD.
**** WRGB!'s Avatar **** WRGB! 03:19 PM 02-01-2004
They couldn't swallow their pride for just one day?
Wordz's Avatar Wordz 04:00 PM 02-01-2004
There are two basic business models at work here. One is the business model that radio stations, television stations and even newspapers to a little different degree work under. They provide their content free or for much less than it costs to produce it and then sell advertising to become profitable. The larger the subscriber, listening and or viewing base they have, the more they can charge their advertisers.

The other business model is the one that cable companies use. They purchase or freely acquire programming with state of the art receiving equipment providing a superior picture for a fee to their subscribers. We also know that they sell advertising to increase their revenues.

When cable came along most everyone decided that the picture was superior to what they could get with their roof mounted antennae and they had access to content they never even dreamed of before. /as the masses gravitated to cable and started taking down their antennae the local stations were in a panic over losing their advertising dollars. They petitioned for and acquired a mandate from the FCC that cable had to carry their content.

What it all boils down to is this: If TWC didn't have to carry WRGB's SD signal and told WRGB if you don't allow us to provide the free HD signal you are providing OTA then we will not provide your SD signal either, WRGB would be out of business...end of story.

Now before anyone flames me for not mentioning the other local stations, they are not the stations that fired the first shot across the bow of TWC by advising consumers to buy a STB and an antenna in order to see the Super Bowl.

I am not going to spend money on more equipment in order to watch WRGB in HD. As a matter of fact...after watching WRGB long enough to compile a list of advertisers, I won't be watching it in SD either.

WRGB is willing to freely give away their HD content over the air to anyone who wants it, except to those of us who subscribe to cable. WRGB can go to blazes!!!!!

Wordz

Mitsubishi 55411
Yamaha RX-V630
Sony speakers and SUB
TWC
Wordz's Avatar Wordz 04:15 PM 02-01-2004
I tried joining (searching for) ShameOnWRGB at MSN but was unable to locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Wordz
MasterFX1's Avatar MasterFX1 05:27 PM 02-01-2004
While the must-carry law is true, most networks waive their must-carry rights in lieu of a Retransmission Agreement. This is the case for every analog station I have ever worked for. Must-Carry is mostly intended for smaller independent stations, like WXXA before they were a FOX affiliate. Usually the station and cable system come to some sort of reciprical advertising buy agreement... i.e. the cable company will purchase advertising on the local station, and the station will buy ad time on the cable system.

Friday's Wall Street Journal has an article explaining it.

BTW... the game looks great in HD.
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop