Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 5030 Old 10-24-2003, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must have been out of the loop, but Doug Sherman (WRGB's Sports Director) just said on-air that this Sunday's Jets game will be on Time Warner Cable channel 1806 in High Definition!

Since it's late Friday, I can't confirm if 1806 is now up, if it will only be up for the NFL game or if he was just plain wrong.

I don't get TWC, so fellow forum posters- tell me what you see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5030 Old 10-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Is anyone getting ABC over the air in Albany/Troy/Schenectady area? If so, is it channel 10? Thanks.
post #93 of 5030 Old 10-24-2003, 07:20 PM

As at 10:15pm Fri Oct 24. 1806 on TWC is still showing color bars. We'll have to see if they make a debut on Sunday with the game.
post #94 of 5030 Old 10-25-2003, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zilber
Is anyone getting ABC over the air in Albany/Troy/Schenectady area? If so, is it channel 10? Thanks.

ABC is available over the air and digitally, however it is NOT high definition... yet. WCDC-DT on channel 36 (Your tuner will rename the channel 19-1) from N. Adams, MA. is a 480i up-converted simulcast of WTEN.

The first post on this thread is continually updated to provide the area's only comprehensive index of what H/DTV channels are available.
post #95 of 5030 Old 10-26-2003, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MasterFX1
I must have been out of the loop, but Doug Sherman (WRGB's Sports Director) just said on-air that this Sunday's Jets game will be on Time Warner Cable channel 1806 in High Definition!

Since it's late Friday, I can't confirm if 1806 is now up, if it will only be up for the NFL game or if he was just plain wrong.

I don't get TWC, so fellow forum posters- tell me what you see.

So much for the Jets game in HD....color test pattern still running.

John
post #96 of 5030 Old 10-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

I might be jumping the gun here, but..

If I were a TWC customer, I would definately consider the purchase of a seperate OTA HDTV tuner and an adequate antenna.. for a couple hundred bucks you can enjoy the best of both worlds and not miss out on any HD programming..

You could always sell the equipment after TWC aquires the HD feeds, selling should be easy since the demand will be greater..

Visit me at petedz.com
post #97 of 5030 Old 10-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

I just found this on the WXXA website..

WXXA Digital

Status of WXXA-DT

1- WXXA-TV has applied to the FCC for a change of channel assignment from channel 4 to channel 7 for digital television broadcasting, and the station is currently awaiting the commissions decision on that request.

2- Once that decision has been made public, the station will apply for a construction permit to operate on the chosen channel. That process will take about four months after which construction can begin.

3- The approximate air date for WXXA-DT is March '04.

4- The Fox network has announced that their format of choice for transmission has been changed to 720P which is an accepted HDTV format. WXXA-DT will be able to pass this HDTV signal on to its viewers.

Visit me at petedz.com
post #98 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Re: WXXA-DT

The website's estimate of March '04 launch supposes that they are granted the channel re-assignment by December '03. There are NO guarantees that the FCC will respond that quickly! At least the tower and building are complete, so that when they finally do get an FCC decision, bad weather won't stall them again.
post #99 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 05:42 AM

Quote:

If I were a TWC customer, I would definately consider the purchase of a seperate OTA HDTV tuner and an adequate antenna.. for a couple hundred bucks you can enjoy the best of both worlds and not miss out on any HD programming..

BreakStuff,
I am in exactly this position. I always assumed TWC would pick up the locals as soon as they went online, so I have never looked into OTA tuners. Do you have any recommendations for good tuners and antennas that won't break the bank?
post #100 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 06:30 PM

Is anyone having a problem with getting an NBC digital signal OTA??? It's Monday night (October 27th). I am wondering if it's because it's raining outside, but I am getting CBS just fine. Thanks
post #101 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 06:40 PM

No, I can't get WNYT (NBC) either. Must be off the air.......

The only difference tween the men and the boys, is the size of their feet and the price of their toys! - Guy Clark
post #102 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thats a good question mattalb...

I guess the cheapest way to purchase a tuner would be ebay, or you can purchase a new one at the Walmarts online store for a few bucks more.. I really don't know what tuner works best but theres alot of info in the HDTV hardware forum..

As for antenna's..

I did a little more experimenting with different antenna's to determine if a simple "dipole" antenna would receive the HD signal..the answer is no.. In fact I couldn't get a signal from any omni-directional indoor antenna that didn't have an internal amplifier,including an 8 foot VHF Hi/Lo scanner antenna I dragged into my living room.

Best bet for an antenna would be an outdoor mounted VHF/UHF combo, my antenna is an outdoor roof mounted non-amplified UHF directional and it does a good job considering the HD signals are VHF..

As long as you have a good line of site facing the Heldebergs and live fairly close I would believe those amplified VHF/UHF/HDTV antenna's(found at BB or CC) should work just fine.. In fact I bet that indoor UHF directional bow tie antenna (non-amplified) found at Radio Shack would work for some folks, but your mileage may vary depending on the circumstances..

oh...and WNYT OTA digital is offline tonite..

Visit me at petedz.com
post #103 of 5030 Old 10-27-2003, 07:38 PM

Thanks. It's too bad that they are offline... I got an indoor antenna at circuit city for $39. It has an amplifier built in. It receives everything that is available in the Albany area. It's an RCA ANT200. I hope this helps.
post #104 of 5030 Old 10-28-2003, 04:01 AM

I emailed WNYT (NBC) asking them why they were off air on Monday, and this is what they emailed me back:

We developed a sudden Microwave path/equipment failure Monday afternoon which left us off the air with our digital transmitter. We will be trying to correct this problem Tuesday.
post #105 of 5030 Old 10-31-2003, 07:10 PM

The color pattern is no longer up on TW 1806. Instead a message.........

Time Warner Program Notice

The digital broadcast of WRGB will be available
on channel 1806 as soon as the station is able to provide it to us.

What the heck is the hold up?!?!?!

John
post #106 of 5030 Old 11-01-2003, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WRGB-DT is actually physically connected to TWC, but is being blocked until an agreement can be hashed out. The details of this specific deal are confidential, but below are some hold-ups that have plagued affiliate/cable retransmission deals across the country.

1. Retransmission Fees (Will the cable company pay for local HD feeds?)
2. Multi-Casting (Will the cable company retransmit all sub channels?)
3. Data Stream integrity (Will the cable company attempt to compress the signal?)

These issues MIGHT NOT be the hold-up, but then again some or all of them could be. WNYT-DT does not have a retransmission deal with TWC either, however, no channel 1813 has popped up in the TWC guide yet.
post #107 of 5030 Old 11-02-2003, 06:26 PM

So this was done by TWC as a way to direct emails and opinions on the situation towards WRGB?

That's my take at least.
post #108 of 5030 Old 11-03-2003, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by esposj
So this was done by TWC as a way to direct emails and opinions on the situation towards WRGB?

That's my take at least.

That's my take as well.
post #109 of 5030 Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is the slate on 1806 still up?
post #110 of 5030 Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM

Yes it is
post #111 of 5030 Old 11-04-2003, 11:52 AM

I want to make sure I understand this all correctly. OTA I can get CBS and NBC in HD. I can't get ABC OTA right now but I can get it on TW Cable? I don't have HD right now but I am looking into Cable or DirecTV with an antenna. For now it looks like I would get more with DirecTV and antenna correct? Why is ABC not on OTA? Isn't it usually on OTA before cable?

I don't understand why TW lists CBS as on even when I called but it still isn't.
post #112 of 5030 Old 11-04-2003, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NY350Z
I want to make sure I understand this all correctly. OTA I can get CBS and NBC in HD. I can't get ABC OTA right now but I can get it on TW Cable? I don't have HD right now but I am looking into Cable or DirecTV with an antenna. For now it looks like I would get more with DirecTV and antenna correct? Why is ABC not on OTA? Isn't it usually on OTA before cable?

The ABC affiliate, WTEN, hopes to be broadcasting OTA-HD by the end of this month at the latest. You can also expect to see a PBS and WB affiliate go live OTA this month. WTEN is on TWC and not yet OTA becasue they wanted to be able to provide last year's SuperBowl in HD to TWC Digital Subscribers. The community tower and transmitter building (used for OTA) were not complete until October 2003. So the OTA's are just firing up now.

I myself do OTA and DirecTV, but if I was starting from scratch I would choose DISH network because I don't want NFL Sunday Ticket and DISH is less expensive and higher Picture Quality.

The cost of TW Digital service seems ludicrous to me considering the HD locals are to be offered FREE via OTA and that Satellite services are about half the monthly cost of TW Digital with mostly the same channels!!!
post #113 of 5030 Old 11-04-2003, 03:37 PM

I would go with DirecTV because I want the Sunday Ticket, I have it now but just a regular box. Thanks for the answers to my questions.
post #114 of 5030 Old 11-04-2003, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you call DirecTV, ask for the Customer Retention Department, and explain that you are interested in getting a HD receiver, but they are so expensive and you're thinking about other satellite or cable services, they will actually offer you a $200 rebate if you do buy one and re-commit to a new subscription contract.

*This only works if you are a current DirecTV subscriber in good standing.
post #115 of 5030 Old 11-05-2003, 05:46 AM

Thanks MasterFX1. I have been a DirecTV custome for 6 years and I am in good standing. They have to like me, every year i get the Sunday Ticket and the NBA leauge pass. I will check into it.

I just need to decide on a TV. I only have room for about a 42". I was thinking LCD but I havent read much good stuff about them. Black levels are not good. I like the plasma but kind of expensive. I don't know.
post #116 of 5030 Old 11-05-2003, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Less expensive than plasma, just as bright and clear, immune to burn-in and half the physical depth of Rear Projection... the Samsung DLP series. Still more expensive than the rear-projections but definately your best bang for your buck.
post #117 of 5030 Old 11-05-2003, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NY350Z
Thanks MasterFX1. I have been a DirecTV custome for 6 years and I am in good standing. They have to like me, every year i get the Sunday Ticket and the NBA leauge pass. I will check into it.

I just need to decide on a TV. I only have room for about a 42". I was thinking LCD but I havent read much good stuff about them. Black levels are not good. I like the plasma but kind of expensive. I don't know.

Still think both are overpriced right now......Just my 2 cents....

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

http://www.plasmaplanet.com/lcd_vrs_plasma.htm

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com.au/lcd_vs_plasma.php

http://www.projectorzone.com/lcdvsdlpwhic.html

John
post #118 of 5030 Old 11-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

While picking up my copy of "Nemo" at CC the other day, I decided to take a look around and see what was new..

Now CC usually seperates the LCD diplays from the plasma's so it's difficult to get a good visual comparison to judge between the two..

Yesterday they had displayed a 30" Sony XBR LCD placed underneath a 42" Sony Plasma and what I thought was a 42" Samsung Plasma.. now the Sony LCD display was much smaller than the larger plasma's, but the picture quality was much more detailed, bright vibrant colors, excellent blacks, overall that little LCD packs a big punch and really outshines the plasma's IMHO.. also packs a big punch in the wallet at $4999 for a 30" display..

Visit me at petedz.com
post #119 of 5030 Old 11-06-2003, 05:43 AM

BreakStuff,

I am in CC all the time. I have seen the 30" Sony. You are right it looks good but the price is ridiculous. The way that display is situated you have to be right on top of it, so for one you are too close to the 42 plasma. The LCD would look better due to the smaller size I would think. The 30" is good for a bedroom but way too much money.
post #120 of 5030 Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...TV_HLM437W.htm

I don't know who has them on display, but I swear they are the big new talk.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page