Lansing, MI - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1667 Old 02-09-2004, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Has anyone been having problems receiving WLNS lately? It came in fine last night during the Grammys and this afternoon for the Young and the Restless but I can't seem to pick it up at all now, nor did I pick it up on Friday night.

I live in East Lansing, and according to antennaweb, I am only 4.7 miles from them. Also strangely, I don't pick up MSU's PBS station, WKAR, even though I am even closer to them.

My setup is kind of strange; I live in an apartment complex with cable feeds from ECI wireless cable in Haslett. My Samsung SIRT151 OTA tuner is hooked up to a splitter from the coax feed that I use for my regular cable. I think that either a) ECI simply retransmits the OTA signal piggyback on their cable feed or b) that they have an antenna on the roof of my apartment complex that is capable of receiving the HD signal. I mention this because I don't have access to the antenna to see if there is a problem with it. I tried to use a standard UHF antenna I had laying around to no avail; my main problem there is that I am on the second floor with Northern exposure, and I can't get Western exposure to check the signal. (I went out on my balcony with the antenna and a long piece of coax, but I didn't get any signal for WKAR or WLNS.)

Through the jack, I currently receive WLNS (cbs), WILX (nbc), WJRT (abc), WSYM (fox), and WKBD (upn). Well, I recevie WLNS sometimes, anyway. =)

So, anyone else not getting WLNS tonight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1667 Old 02-10-2004, 09:57 AM
usg

Have you guys noticed that Monday night Los Vegas (WILX) is not HD since last couple weeks. Network is sending HD feed, seems to me, WILX is not broadcasting.

Addendum: I just checked the HD Programming section - NBC has been feeding SD. No fault of WILX.
post #273 of 1667 Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yeah, my rule is not in HD, not worth watching, too much other good HD out there.

In case anyone is between Lansing and Detroit as I am, you should know that WDWB --WB Network-- is now in HD on 21-1 and SD on 21-2. I'm getting a decent signal up here in Flushing, others should be too. Everwood looked great last night, I'm really waiting to see Smallville and Angel on WED. BTW this makes 16HD/DT OTA channels for me!

Funny, little WB can get their act together but big old GE can't!
post #274 of 1667 Old 02-10-2004, 01:25 PM

Chris White

I wanted to put up new antenna when I purchased my RCA, DTC-100 in April of 2001. Living in Eaton Rapids I also figured a amp would be in order as at that time only WLNS and WOOD (7) was broadcasting off air. I had always preferred channel master and from a few topics here wanted to go with their Quantum 1162 VHF/UHF, but it was already being discontinued even though it was one of there best sellers. I found it at Purchase Radio in Ann Arbor. Purchase Radio Supply
327 East Hoover
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: (734) 668-8696
Phone Number 2: 0
At the time they had about six of them. I love it and its streamline appearance. I also purchased the 0100 Pre-Amp that was made for it. I replaced all bolts and screws with s.s. and used a cold galvanize spray on the new tri-pod. I also installed an attenuator for the power supply to pre-amp.
Picked up GR, Kazoo, Battle Creek, and Lansing area with no problem. Even survived the Tornado's two years ago; had to re-install it. It is a little like the Crossfire 3671 but much better looking. Fairly long, about 104" I believe. I figured if I had to much power I could adjust it down with attenuator for closer stations but have left it about right in the middle.
Anyway hope this helps a little. What is nice is that I also purchased channel master's rotor with IR remote before they discontinued it so now have all stations and antenna settings programed into my Pronto with icons, so changing stations off air, or satellite is a macro away. Very cool!
Good luck and I also have a indoor antenna that you could try, its not the sensor but a Terk25 I believe. Been a while since I had it in the system.
Well take care and lets hope our local ABC affiliate gets cracking.

John

JPH
post #275 of 1667 Old 02-10-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by deising1
Also strangely, I don't pick up MSU's PBS station, WKAR, even though I am even closer to them.

I tried for the first time to pick them up tonight without success. I'm near Hell. I'm hopeful that WKAR can fill the void that the dorks at the FCC created when they overlapped signals for WTVS-DT

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
post #276 of 1667 Old 02-10-2004, 09:41 PM

JP, nice setup. Hopefully when this snow gets of my roof in the spring I'll do something similar.
post #277 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 AM

If any of you care , WLAJ claims they will be online 3-15 to 4-1
post #278 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 AM

Wow! That's great news. I only wish WHTV would now jump onboard for a UPN affiliate. But at least with WLAJ's entry, all of the major networks are available without having to go out of market.
post #279 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 06:58 AM

WKAR DT was not on air last night, also noticed they were absent this morning. Bout time WLAJ makes appearance. I have been using WOTV DT for ABC programs.
post #280 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if WKAR has been consistently/mostly operational (with last night being an exception), or are they on and off as they get settled into their new digs? Just curious because it would be great to have a PBS-HD OTA signal that doesn't stutter every 3-4 seconds, and their tower is actually closer to me than is WTVS.
Thanks!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

post #281 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Man E, as far as I know they have been operational right along. Only problem with WKAR is that they only pass the National feed at the moment. There are a few things there I like but I much prefer some of the other stuff like Soundstage that is done locally. I saw it once or twice on WTVS, when WZPX was down or something and I enjoyed it. WKAR will have the capability soon from what I've heard.

How's WDWB coming in down over there?
post #282 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I only flipped past WDWB last night. I got a picture that was pretty choppy, but I was moving the rotor all over the place trying to lock WKAR so I can't really say how well I pull it in. I rarely watch them, but it is nice to have it there for those occations when they have something I like.

Now that I think about it a bit more, they must be pretty strong because my Unity Motion picked them up off of the backside of the antenna while I was scanning Lansing. It does that for others in the Detroit area too, but only the strongest ones.

post #283 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM

No signs of WKBD or WDWB here in Holt but the towers are 62 miles away. I've picked up WKBD before but usually only late evenings or during unusual weather conditions. I figure about 55 miles is the limit for my antenna. I guess WZPX is my only source of WB programming OTA at the moment. Do they actually show anything in HDTV? Titan shows that Angel, One Tree Hill, and Everwood are broadcast in HDTV at 7:00pm but I've never actually checked. I still have the no sound issue on all but their first subchannel so they get skipped over most of the time.

[edit 2/18] WZPX got their sound issue fixed Monday. They don't however appear to broadcast anything in HDTV.[/end edit]

And I guess WXSP is the only UPN affiliate I can get unless WHTV ever goes online. WXSP only does SDTV so doesn't really count. Has anybody heard what WHTV's schedule is for digital deployment?
post #284 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Man E
Does anyone know if WKAR has been consistently/mostly operational (with last night being an exception), or are they on and off as they get settled into their new digs? Just curious because it would be great to have a PBS-HD OTA signal that doesn't stutter every 3-4 seconds, and their tower is actually closer to me than is WTVS.
Thanks!

For me it's been rock steady, but then again, I live about 12 blocks from the MSU campus.
post #285 of 1667 Old 02-11-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by action000
Are those right? Looking at channels 47 and 53. I know where the studios are ... 47 on St. Joe and 53 on Penn. Are the towers really that far south of Lansing?

Yes, I am pretty sure. Check this link:

http://www.michiguide.com/dials/tv.html

Pick a station and clink the INFO link.

This is pretty typical for TV and radio. If there are multiple markets (metro areas) in a general area and the station can deliver city-grade signals to all of the markets (by placing the antenna in a common area in between) they will try to maximize their "market penetration" by placing their antenna there. Notice the GR antenna cluster, trying to cover GR, BC, and Kzoo. Lansing stations atr trying to cover Lansing and Jackson similarly.

[EDIT: EXCEPT FOR WLNS!!! OOPS!!! I thought, since I lived down the road from them and pas the tower almost daily, I knew where they were... WRONG! They broadcast out of Williamston. Their tower behind their studios is NOT their transmitting studios! To be fixed soon!]

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... not screaming and crying like the passengers in the back of his car.
post #286 of 1667 Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 AM

Lansing map corrected for REAL WLNS-TV 6 [59] broadcast tower location (D'OH!)

http://www.jonrcortright.com/hdtv/LansingMetro2.gif

...sorry about that! Thanks to those that corrected me!

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... not screaming and crying like the passengers in the back of his car.
post #287 of 1667 Old 02-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if WKAR has been consistently/mostly operational

I haven't watched much WKAR, but every time I've checked they've been there with a rock solid signal.

I also have a indoor antenna that you could try, its not the sensor but a Terk25 I believe

Thanks J.P. I have a silver sensor and it can't begin to compete with the CM4221 I have on the roof. I believe the only way I would probably get the ABC station in Flint is to put up a large yagi and use a rotor. There isn't a single program I watch on ABC (other than MNF), so I'm not sufficiently motivated to do that.

EXCEPT FOR WLNS!!! They broadcast out of Williamston.

Actually, I think they are in Okemos.

An observation --- I've decided the engineer at WLNS must be in a big hurry to get home at night. He manages to flip the switch from HD to SD with a minute or two left in the program each night at 10pm.
post #288 of 1667 Old 02-12-2004, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris, I've noticed that for years, has to be automated. I can't believe that at 2 miunites to the hour without fail, it goes to SD. Weird.
post #289 of 1667 Old 02-12-2004, 02:47 PM

It is automated as I have spoke with him on the phone about that very issue. You would think it would be automated to turn on at 7:59, but wrong. Its better now but I don't know how many times I have called the station at 8:05 or later and asked them to flip the switch. This was an ongoing problem a couple of years ago. What can I say. At least WKAR really listens and is doing their utmost. I wish all affiliates were as attentive and dedicated. Thanks guys. Looking forward to the 500.

John

JPH
post #290 of 1667 Old 02-12-2004, 07:50 PM

I agree...wlns is bad. I've also caught WSYM 47 doing it too right before minight instead of waiting until programming is done.
post #291 of 1667 Old 02-15-2004, 07:08 PM

O.k. so everyone here is talking about HDTV with antenna's? Does anybody know anything about Comcast? When? Available channels at launch? I think I heard about a month away.. for Holt.
post #292 of 1667 Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tbadour
O.k. so everyone here is talking about HDTV with antenna's? Does anybody know anything about Comcast? When? Available channels at launch? I think I heard about a month away.. for Holt.

Well, yeah, since that is pretty much the only way we've been able to get it so far! I've asked for Comcast to notify me when it does become available, but haven't heard anything so far. Personally, I'm not too concerned. I can already get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS in HD (OTA) for free, and I'm pretty sure HD cable won't come cheap. I already pay $38 for just standard cable (not counting my cable modem) so I'd say they get enough of my money!

Using an antenna isn't really a bad way to go. Heck if WLAJ would just get off their asses, I could leave mine pointing South all the time instead of having to rotate it towards Chesening every Sunday to get Alias.
post #293 of 1667 Old 02-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

anybody know anything about Comcast?

We've got Millennium in Williamston. Their cable isn't good enough to provide a decent analog signal so I'm sure they won't have hdtv any time soon.
post #294 of 1667 Old 02-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Well just got my Comcast HDTV beta installed today....
GREAT PICTURE !!!

Only five channels right now..... Installer said I was last to get in under beta. He said it would be at least another month or better before its available in the Lansing market. Kinda surprised to get the 6200 Motorola.
post #295 of 1667 Old 02-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I thought WLNS had made some progress in fixing their audio problems, but Navy NCIS on Tuesday night had so many dropouts, I gave up and watched it off the Replay. I ruled out the problem being at my end because (1) the signal strength was steady and over 90% and (2) Law & Order SVU played without any dropouts.

Completely unrelated....

Is it time to start a new thread? Perhaps srgilbert would like to kick off the official Lansing area 2004 thread.
post #296 of 1667 Old 02-19-2004, 04:14 PM

If someone does start a new Lansing thread, please cross-post a link to it here... I have this thread bookmarked and not much else from AVS.

I would have to wade through all the other posts to find it.

Thanks in advance!

post #297 of 1667 Old 02-19-2004, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What was up with ER's sound on WILX tonight. Sounded like dual stereo during the show, but the local inserts were front channel only. During the show I was getting sound out of all 5 speakers. I'm not aware of NBC doing 5.1, so I think it was something the station was doing. Didn't sound bad, just not quite right. I was too lazy to switch over to WDIV-DT from Detroit, so I don't know if it was WILX or NBC's doing.

BTW, next weeks tank scene was filmed in front of my cousin's apt. A few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, she woke up from a nap to see a tank gong down her street crushing cars, she quickly got out of there...
post #298 of 1667 Old 02-22-2004, 10:37 AM

As of last week we have been receiving WEYI standard and HD, which helps when Wilx cuts out due to weather. WEYI HD Programming is on 30-2 BTW don't ask me why.

We are the most happy with WKAR we watch many programs we would have never viewed now that they are broadcasting in HD. Last night we watched "desert speaks" and some travel show and both were magnificently produced programs.
post #299 of 1667 Old 02-22-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess that shows just how well WEYI has trained me NOT to watch them, it didn't even cross my mind to tune into them rather than WILX or WDIV. I've always thought of them as an also ran in a third rate market. It was just a few years ago when I asked if their analog signal would ever pass stereo sound from the network, and I was told they didn't think it was necessary, BTW analog is still mono to the best of my knowledge...
post #300 of 1667 Old 02-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Five posts back, I said, "I thought WLNS had made some progress in fixing their audio problems."

Mea culpa!!! I've discovered that even though the signal strength for WLNS is very good (always >90%), the reason I'm getting constant audio dropouts is signal drop. It varies from night to night, but if I watch it long enough, the signal will occasionally bounce down to zero.

The WLNS tower is only 6 miles from me, so the only reason I can give for the bouncing signal is multipath interference. For those not familiar, multipath happens when signals bounce around between buildings, or other large obstructions. This bounce causes a reflection and the receiver tries to lock onto the original signal as well as the reflection.

What I don't understand is why I'm getting multipath interference. I don't have any big trees or buildings (except my house of course) near the antenna. I have an absolute clear line of sight between my antenna and the tower. Perhaps the signal is just shooting over my antenna.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page