Central New Jersey - OTA - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a while back in this thread I would be installing the following: Televes Dat 75 roof-mounted antenna, CM 7775 preamp, rotor, all feeding a Zenith 520 STB into a Fujitsu 50" Plasma.

I'm in Montgomery Township, Somerset County, near the border of Mercer county, about 60 miles form Phila and 40 miles from NYC.

I'm pleased to report I'm able to get all Phila networks with strong digital signals, and a stunning picture. Signal varies on ABC and NBC from good to excellent. CBS is always excellent. I'm also able to get NYC - Fox and CBS using the rotor.

I'm extremely pleased with the picture, setup, and reception. Up til now, I've used Tivo as my D* source, but I'm too awed with the glorious OTA HDTV out of the Zenith 520 to go back to my SD Tivo.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I'm pleased to report I'm able to get all Phila networks with strong digital signals, and a stunning picture. Signal varies on ABC and NBC from good to excellent. CBS is always excellent. I'm also able to get NYC - Fox and CBS using the rotor.

thomasgs,

Congratulations, neighbor, on getting your antenna and preamp installed. I'm glad to see you were able to get your installation working so well. Enjoy!

RayN
post #93 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by thomasgs
I posted a while back in this thread I would be installing the following: Televes Dat 75 roof-mounted antenna, CM 7775 preamp, rotor, all feeding a Zenith 520 STB into a Fujitsu 50" Plasma.

I'm in Montgomery Township, Somerset County, near the border of Mercer county, about 60 miles form Phila and 40 miles from NYC.

I'm extremely pleased with the picture, setup, and reception. Up til now, I've used Tivo as my D* source, but I'm too awed with the glorious OTA HDTV out of the Zenith 520 to go back to my SD Tivo.!

Glad to see you are up and running. I know I've found myself on Monday nights watching pretty much EVERYTHING on CBS just for the HD content

Also glad to hear you are able to get WCAU (NBC) as most folks in NJ aren't.

How high off the roof is your antenna? Did you do it yourself? My wife just told me my rotor (CM9021A I think) came in the mail today from spectravox.com. Hopefully the CM775 I ordered gets here before Saturday...and we don't get any snow tomorrow like I've heard the weatherheads talking about

Are you able to pick up WHYY from Philly/Delaware??? Think it's 12-1? There's also a digital channel on 34 I believe...that doesn't give me ANY picture or lock...but my meter strength shows 100. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it's somewhere buried in this thread
post #94 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveK2
The coax antenna is a freebie and its non-directional. So I was just glad to receive any picture at all.

SteveK

That's pretty cool. Can you pick up analog signals like that too?
post #95 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Very snowy analog VHF channels out of NYC. NJN/PBS out of Trenton and New Brunswick are pretty good, but not crystal.

This is definately where a digital signal shines. No need for 100% strength to lock on a signal and produce a beautiful picture.

SteveK
post #96 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I am finally getting NBC in Hi Def tonight out of Philly. I lost it for a couple of days.

Ken- Manalapan
post #97 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 06:55 PM

I am getting it too!!
I am pretty sure they have finally moved to the new tower, because I was not seeing any sign of WCAU-DT just until last night.
post #98 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure about the new tower- perhaps its due to favorable atmospheric conditions- all of the Philly stations are coming in solid for me tonight. Even WCAU- I'm getting a signal strength of 65, which is highly unusual. If it is the new tower, all I can say is that it's about time!
post #99 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 07:42 PM

[quote]Originally posted by jaypb
[b]Glad to see you are up and running. I know I've found myself on Monday nights watching pretty much EVERYTHING on CBS just for the HD content

Also glad to hear you are able to get WCAU (NBC) as most folks in NJ aren't.

Yes, NBC and all Phila stations are very strong tonight.

How high off the roof is your antenna? Did you do it yourself? My wife just told me my rotor (CM9021A I think) came in the mail today from spectravox.com.

My antenna is 10 feet above the high point on roof line. I am also using the CM 9021a rotor. I had an installer due the job.

Are you able to pick up WHYY from Philly/Delaware??? Think it's 12-1? There's also a digital channel on 34 I believe...that doesn't give me ANY picture or lock...

Yes, I get 12-1 from Phila. Nothing comes in on 34.
post #100 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ken6217
I am finally getting NBC in Hi Def tonight out of Philly. I lost it for a couple of days.

Ken- Manalapan

I'm still getting just a faint heartbeat on WCAU....think I registered a 3 tonight

If the wife found out that someone a few towns over is watching Law and Order in HD she'd throw my @ss up on the roof and tell me not to come down until I locked on that damn DT signal

Tonight I was getting FOX/UPN out of NY with the CM4228 pointed towards Philly, so there must've been something odd in the air tonight

I also noticed whislt watching ABC Philly (either 6-1 or 64-1) that the sound was horrifically low. Almost a whisper. My signal strength was almost 65 and I had no pixelation.

Weird.
post #101 of 2388 Old 03-12-2003, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PaulM9999
I'm not sure about the new tower- perhaps its due to favorable atmospheric conditions- all of the Philly stations are coming in solid for me tonight. Even WCAU- I'm getting a signal strength of 65, which is highly unusual. If it is the new tower, all I can say is that it's about time!

Yeah, it might only be a power upgrade (restore?) or weather, but I was so excited to pull in NBC for the first time.
WCAU-DT just came up out of the blue tonight using the same indoor Silver Sensor (first floor living room), about 35 miles away.
No hint of FOX.. and this why I suspect WCAU-DT moved to the new tower.

Just hope it will last-
It's so great to watch Jay Leno in widescreen HD.
post #102 of 2388 Old 03-13-2003, 04:43 AM

Just tried it and was unable to receive. All the other Philly stations were in the 60s.

Hopefully they are in the testing phase and they will be at full power for 24 hours by next week.
post #103 of 2388 Old 03-13-2003, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pabuwal
Just tried it and was unable to receive. All the other Philly stations were in the 60s.

Hopefully they are in the testing phase and they will be at full power for 24 hours by next week.

May be time to post the Q on the philly thread...but the reason I tried NOT to post stuff under there was because.....I'm out in the middle of NJ

Seems like a lot of folks on that thread are "within earshot" of Philly and there's the dozen or so NJ'ers who are even closer than most of us are.

Also--anyone notice an audio problem during that "American Girl" show on WPVI last night (ABC PHilly)??? Think that was the name of the show....I had barely a whisper coming out of my speakers...on 6-1/6-2/64-1 and 64-2.

post #104 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
NBC Philly update from Manalapan- Lat night was so-so. I got it for most of the night. Theer were times where I would lose it but get it back.

Ken
post #105 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NBC Philly update from Manalapan- Lat night was so-so. I got it for most of the night. Theer were times where I would lose it but get it back.

Ken

Bounced in and out. Probably, IMHO, weather related. Also noticed that I didn't get a very high quality picture on CBS shows out of Philly last night. CSI and Without a Trace looked....muddled. Wonder if these were re-runs/older episodes not shot in True HD??? First time I watched either one.

I also have DirecTV...and on 199 (HDNET) they had a Barry Manilow ( ) concert on....and, as usual, their PQ was stunning. Maybe it was just my eyes deceiving me as I bounced back and forth from 199 to 3-1?

post #106 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also noticed that I didn't get a very high quality picture on CBS shows out of Philly last night. CSI and Without a Trace looked....muddled. Wonder if these were re-runs/older episodes not shot in True HD??? First time I watched either one.

I agree...and I watched the WCBS (2-1) digital feed out of NYC.

Got my CM 4228 & CM 7775 yesterday from Stark Electronic and will install in attic over the weekend. With the all hooked up and sitting on my living room floor, was able to get 77% signal on 2-1 NYC and 100% of NJ (43-1/2/3/4) out of Trenton(?).

BTW...I highly recommend Stark....ordered via telephone on Wednesday @12:30PM. Got a tracking number within 30 minutes and the equipment arrived overnight via standard UPS (Worcester, MA to Somerset, NJ).
post #107 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree...and I watched the WCBS (2-1) digital feed out of NYC.

Got my CM 4228 & CM 7775 yesterday from Stark Electronic and will install in attic over the weekend. With the all hooked up and sitting on my living room floor, was able to get 77% signal on 2-1 NYC and 100% of NJ (43-1/2/3/4) out of Trenton(?).

BTW...I highly recommend Stark....ordered via telephone on Wednesday @12:30PM. Got a tracking number within 30 minutes and the equipment arrived overnight via standard UPS (Worcester, MA to Somerset, NJ).

I received my CM 4228 from them 3 days after I ordered it. I'm waiting on the CM7775 I ordered from Stark on Tuesday. *Hope* it gets here today as I'd like to put it up tomorrow.

The CM rotor (9521a) I ordered from Warren Electronics reached me in 3 days as well. I want to put em all up at the same time so I'm hoping the pre-amp gets here today!

AFA the 43-1/2/3/4 Trenton stations......let me know if you experience anything odd whilst viewing. Last night while on 43-2 (usually the HD loop channel) I was getting the audio from 43-3 with the video from 43-1. I wonder if this is an "issue" with multi-casting? It was the first time I noticed it. I also have had a problem in the last week where although my signal strength is 100 for 43, I get pixelations everynow and then....but I have no ghosting (multipath symptoms?) on the analog feed for that channel.

Ah, the beauties of figuring out OTA reception!

The worst part is----you guys are the only ones I can bounce this stuff off of! No neighbors partake in these reindeer games, no relatives in the area. Just convinced a friend to go the HD route, but he's in Manhattan and is getting his HD feeds from TWC....so he can't have the kind of fun I/we are
post #108 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Now I'm beginning to think that the 43-1/2/3/4 feed I was picking up yesterday evening was really from New Brunswick and not Trenton. I did not see the HDTV loop at all last night. 43/1/2/4 had the regular NJN programming (in SD) and 43/3 has PBSYou. No HD content at all.

Also, I picked up the channels even though the antenna was pointed at NYC ---directly opposite direction from Trenton.

Not worried, though. Will post back after mounting the equipment in the attic and have done a proper directional orientation.
post #109 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now I'm beginning to think that the 43-1/2/3/4 feed I was picking up yesterday evening was really from New Brunswick and not Trenton. I did not see the HDTV loop at all last night. 43/1/2/4 had the regular NJN programming (in SD) and 43/3 has PBSYou. No HD content at all.

Also, I picked up the channels even though the antenna was pointed at NYC ---directly opposite direction from Trenton.

Not worried, though. Will post back after mounting the equipment in the attic and have done a proper directional orientation.

Ch43 is either Camden or Trenton.

New Brunswick (WNJB) is Ch58 analog and will be Ch8 digital - Not on the air yet (this might have changed - They're supposed to go on-air VERY soon.)
post #110 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Entropy.

I've received the Trenton NJN feeds before (43-1/2) using only my coax antenna and 43-2 always had the HD loop. So I was pretty surprised that none of the 43's had the HD loop last night.

Any ideas?
post #111 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Entropy512
Ch43 is either Camden or Trenton.

New Brunswick (WNJB) is Ch58 analog and will be Ch8 digital - Not on the air yet (this might have changed - They're supposed to go on-air VERY soon.)

I believe it's Trenton---but there are SOOOO many damn PBS stations in NJ I'm not sure of the call letters...that and the fact that my E86 still lists it as "43-1/2/3/4" without a guide/call listing But, I think that's a PSIP (or something like that) issue.

Ch58 PBS (8 digital) is, according to antennaweb, supposed to go live on 4/1/03. Will Ch 8 come in via a UHF antenna? I know I can pick up analog 10 with my 4228 from Philly pretty decently....and New Brunswick is only about 8 miles or so as the crow flies from me....so I'm interested in seeing if she comes in.

Also:

Quote:

Now I'm beginning to think that the 43-1/2/3/4 feed I was picking up yesterday evening was really from New Brunswick and not Trenton. I did not see the HDTV loop at all last night. 43/1/2/4 had the regular NJN programming (in SD) and 43/3 has PBSYou. No HD content at all. [/b]

Last night I didn't notice any HD loop on 43-2...at least whilst I was watching TV (9-11pm or so). But what was on 43-1 video wise was on 43-2...and what was on 43-3 audio wise, was on 43-2. If that makes sense

I didn't do a reboot of my E86, as that was the only oddity I noticed across the board last night.
post #112 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

SteveK2

43-1, 2, 3 & 4 IS WNJT-DT out of Trenton. If you have your guides on it should re-map to 53.
post #113 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Ken

NBC reception has been pretty good since my T151+SilverSensor started to get it Wednesday.
Though I noticed audio dropouts every 20-30 seconds last night.
Other stations were not stable as well probably due to the rain.

Looks like NBC didn't do any major changes (new tower + full power) according to other folks.
Could it be just the new tower without a power boost?
- Just my wild guess but I cannot explain how I am able to get it out of the blue.
Is HD OTA reception that quirky?
post #114 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

wward,

I'm using a Samsung TS160 (Directv/OTA/Cable) receiver. No re-mapping that I see. If there's an option for this capability, I haven't found it.
But I've only had the box a few days and haven't used it much...so the option may be there somewhere.
post #115 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jaypb
I believe it's Trenton---but there are SOOOO many damn PBS stations in NJ I'm not sure of the call letters...that and the fact that my E86 still lists it as "43-1/2/3/4" without a guide/call listing But, I think that's a PSIP (or something like that) issue.

Ch58 PBS (8 digital) is, according to antennaweb, supposed to go live on 4/1/03. Will Ch 8 come in via a UHF antenna? I know I can pick up analog 10 with my 4228 from Philly pretty decently....and New Brunswick is only about 8 miles or so as the crow flies from me....so I'm interested in seeing if she comes in.

Also:

Last night I didn't notice any HD loop on 43-2...at least whilst I was watching TV (9-11pm or so). But what was on 43-1 video wise was on 43-2...and what was on 43-3 audio wise, was on 43-2. If that makes sense

I didn't do a reboot of my E86, as that was the only oddity I noticed across the board last night.

With New Brunswick only 8 miles away even the 4228 should be able to receive a signal, despite it not being within the 4228's optimum frequency range.

Were you one of the people who tried a CM 3041DSB amp and had it make things worse? If New Brunswick is only 8 miles away that would explain things, WNJB's analog station is insanely high-powered according to www.100000watts.com
post #116 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Entropy512
With New Brunswick only 8 miles away even the 4228 should be able to receive a signal, despite it not being within the 4228's optimum frequency range.

Were you one of the people who tried a CM 3041DSB amp and had it make things worse? If New Brunswick is only 8 miles away that would explain things, WNJB's analog station is insanely high-powered according to www.100000watts.com

Yes, I tried the 3041DSB pre-amp, and I couldn't get ANY signals on ANY channel. So, from that standpoint, I'm not sure if I didn't hook it up right---I mean, doesn't seem that hard to connect and whatnot, but I didn't like having to go from a 300 amp twinlead on the antenna to the amp and then back out with a 75ohm RG6. I checked my connections and they were good...but I couldn't even lock in on anything. I fiddled with it...tried to make it work but I just got frustrated and packed it back up!

Hopefully my 7775 arrives today. I want to test it out this weekend. That's the problem with OTA testing in the winter I guess....if you work a normal 9-5 job, you can't get out on the roof until the weekend!!!
post #117 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jaypb
Yes, I tried the 3041DSB pre-amp, and I couldn't get ANY signals on ANY channel. So, from that standpoint, I'm not sure if I didn't hook it up right---I mean, doesn't seem that hard to connect and whatnot, but I didn't like having to go from a 300 amp twinlead on the antenna to the amp and then back out with a 75ohm RG6. I checked my connections and they were good...but I couldn't even lock in on anything. I fiddled with it...tried to make it work but I just got frustrated and packed it back up!

Hopefully my 7775 arrives today. I want to test it out this weekend. That's the problem with OTA testing in the winter I guess....if you work a normal 9-5 job, you can't get out on the roof until the weekend!!!

Sure you can!

I don't know how often I've tweaked my setups in the 2-3 hours between dinner and primetime. Admittedly most of that has been in the attic.

Did you try checking analog channels at all back when the 3041DSB failed you? If you have the same problem with the 7775, check analogs to see if an image is being overlaid onto them, and to see if suddenly WNJB (Ch58 analog) has clear audio but has completely lost video sync. That's a clear sign of overloading/intermod. In that case, you'll have to either a) Stick with no preamp or b) Try a lower-gain preamp, Lowes has a 12 dB gain distribution amp, normally not very good for helping reception, but it'll help a little and since it has 10 dB less gain it's less likely to get overloaded, although at 8 miles from NB even a 12 dB amp with its output capability might get overloaded, in which case there's very little on the commercial market available and there's not much you can do unless you're willing to homebrew something.
post #118 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I've only done a minimal amount of tweaking so far; being alone it's difficult to keep running between the attic & the living room. And I've not yet done any experimenting with moving the amplifier only to one antenna, but here's what I've got so far:

I'm in Long Branch, NJ (Monmouth County), right on the ocean. The antennas are mounted in the attic of a 3-story townhouse, so they're about 35 feet high and ground level is maybe 20-25 feet above sea level at most.

I have a Channel Master 4228 (UHF) aimed towards Philadelphia combined with a Channel Master 3010 (Stealthtenna) aimed towards NYC. The combined signals are fed into a Channel Master 7777 amplifier using the combined input (I'm not using the VHF-only input on the amplifier; the antennas are combined fully prior to the amplifier).

The antennas are mounted on poles hanging down from the rafters in the center of the attic, towards the northern end of the attic.

Right now I'm receiving:

New York:
2-1 WCBS-DT (channel 56)
5-1,5-2 WNYW-DT (channel 44)

Philadelphia:
3-1 KYW-DT (channel 26)
6-1,6-2 WPVI-DT (channel 64)

Trenton:
43-2,43-2 WNJT-DT (channel 43)

I occasionally see a bit of breakup or a few seconds of signal loss on 6-1/6-2 from Philadelphia. It's gotten better as I've moved the 4228 antenna a bit.

I'm somewhat amazed with the number of analog UHF channels I get signal on. Some are even pretty watchable, including some rather good signals from Philadelphia, and slightly worse from Long Island, and a bunch from northern NJ/NYC. I haven't made a list of them all yet.

If only these digital stations would broadcast at full power...!... or at all, for that matter.
post #119 of 2388 Old 03-14-2003, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally cleared enough of the wife's crap in the attic (mostly empty boxes...what a waste) to make room for the 4228. Its just standing up on the plywood flooring and pointed at Philly.

Without the pre-amp, was able to get KYW (3-1) @30%. Kept wondering why there seemed to be no difference if the pre-amp was plugged into the AC or not. Then I realized DUH that I didn't connect the actual pre-amp at the antenna....DUH...only had the power plugged in. That's what happens when you're excited about a new toy.

Well, once I corrected that faux-pas, was able to get 6 digital channels from the south west.....3-1 (CBS), 6-1/2 (ABC), 17-1 (WB) but this faded out, 43-1/2 (NJN), 57-1 (UPN), 66-1/2 (Spanish).

Will tweak over the weekend when my assistant (son) isn't too tired to talk on the walkie-talkies.
post #120 of 2388 Old 03-15-2003, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Add:

Philadelphia:
57-1, WPSG-DT (channel 32)

As I was tweaking a bit, I didn't want to rerun the channel scan and lose track of the channels I had gotten in case I lost them, so I was just manually adding, and missed trying that one.

I still can't get an NBC or WB station anywhere.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page