post #181 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wward

Did a scan and readjustment of my antenns and I started picking up channel 67-1 and 67-2 out of New York (I think) it was Telefutura and Univision.

Wward,

Which STB are you using? In recent days I've noticed quite a few of the Spanish DT's popping up...with subchannels as well. I believe it was 65-1/2 and 66-1/2 that was showing Spanish programming. Lately it has faded in and out but I remember seeing war coverage and boxing and some soap's in Spanish on there.

Lately I've noticed a 67-1 on my Hughes E86 but no picture---I assumed it was the re-mapping for 10-1 (digital channel 67) for WCAU out of PHilly.

I've also noticed (since we're on the topic of subchannels) that Philly 6 (wpvi)---their subchannel 6-2/64-2 hasn't had ANY audio for me for two days now.

Odd.

Have you had any luck picking up the WPIX signal down in Freehold? I haven't tried---as the thread I've been reading comments that WPIX's engineer's are trying to figure out why Hughes E86's are having problems mapping the signal into the guides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by webboy10169
On Dec 11,2002 I had my system installed. At the time I was told Only 1 HD OTA Channel. So the installed never installed an antenna. After reading a ton of crap all over the net Im doubting the installer's opinions. Im in Jackson NJ 21 miles from Philly and 71 Miles from NYC (as a crow flies).

As I read it i should be able to receive almost 11 HD OTA channels (www.titantv.com and others)

Can Anyone reccomend an installer who can test my area or reccommend what equipment i should buy and install to get more than the 3 channels DTV provides. Im dying over here...

Not sure about installers for your area, but if you want to give it a go yourself it's not too hard---and you'll probably save yourself a BOAT load of money!

Give the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna a shot. It's a set top antenna and should give you a starting point to move from. CircuitCity carries it. Think it's around $40 bucks.

Where you are getting almost ALL of the Philly stations should be pretty easy---NYC may be more of an issue without a rooftop antenna. Read back through this thread---there's a TREASURE trove of antenna/amp mentions as well as area specific reception comments.
post #183 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
webboy, where would any antenna go that you installed? Outside on a mast off your roof or in the attic?

If you can do it yourself, start with a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna and a rotator such as the Channel Master 9521A. You can order online from www.warrenelectronics.com (they're listed as an onlinedealer at Channel Master's site). I've not found anyone around the area selling this stuff in a retail store.

Picking up the NYC stations will be a hit or miss thing, as you are quite far from them, however you should be able to get almost all the Philadelphia stations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

jaypb

I have an integrated receiver (RCA F38310) I have not had any luck picking up WPIX-DT most likely because of WHYY 12 out of Phily being the stronger signal of the two.
post #185 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

webboy, another option... if you don't mind spending a little money (like about $650 plus another monthly fee of at least $15) you could subscribe to Bell ExpressVu and get HD locals from Boston & Seattle (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS from each + a Canadian HDTV station CITY-TV).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On Dec 11,2002 I had my system installed. At the time I was told Only 1 HD OTA Channel (out of Philly). So the installed never installed an antenna. After reading a ton of crap all over the net Im doubting the installer's opinions. Im in Jackson NJ 21 miles from Philly and 71 Miles from NYC (as a crow flies).

As I read it i should be able to receive almost 11 HD OTA channels (www.titantv.com and others)

Can Anyone reccomend an installer who can test my area or reccommend what equipment i should buy and install to get more than the 3 channels DTV provides. Im dying over here...

As jaypb mentioned, a Zenith Silver Sensor might be more than sufficient for you (except possibly for receiving WCAU - NBC).

It's $40 from Sears and apparently Circuit City too, $25 from buy.com. Sears has a good return policy, so you can buy it and try it, worth the $15 extra not to have to deal with shipping it back if it's insufficient.

Next step up is the Radio Shack 150-2160. $22 if you can find it (Many stores don't seem to carry it.) BTW, has anyone found any Rat Shacks in Central NJ that have the 2160? The Bridgewater Commons has *no* antennas at all, and the Middlesex store doesn't have the 2160. It's a bit big but you can probably still use the 2160 inside. It'll almost surely work well if attic-mounted, possibly even without a preamp.

If worst comes to worst, the Channel Master 4228 plus a 3041DSB preamp (from Lowes) or a 7775 (From www.warrenelectronics.com, same place to go for the 4228) will be guaranteed to be more than enough for Philly reception and might be able to receive NYC stations if reaimed depending on the weather.
post #187 of 2389 Old 03-27-2003, 01:59 PM

Entropy,

Have you tried the RatShack on Main St Somerville (in the Pathmark shopping Center)

Gary
post #188 of 2389 Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran through the setup of the program guide for OTA channels for the NYC & Philadelphia areas in the setup of my Zenith HD-SAT520 tonight (never made it to that menu before). And I noticed it added all the channels from those markets, even the NYC ones not broadcasting at the moment.

So I was just tuning through things creating a surf list and found I had a signal on 9-1. Not only that, it was one of the better signals... somewhere around 80-85%. The antenna was aimed at 274 degrees, towards Philadelphia. But the program was WJZ-DT out of Baltimore. 157 miles from me.

It turns out that WJZ-DT is on UHF 38 just like WWOR-DT would be on UHF 38 in NY.

Here's a photo (no tripod, so it's a little fuzzy):

I've been watching about 30 minutes; the signal's very slowly dropping a bit and I'm getting occasional breakups. This feels neat. I may have to get one of those antenna tilt mechanisms now.

post #189 of 2389 Old 03-28-2003, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice!

Guess living down near the water DOES have it's advantages

Can you pick up Europe with that thing???

My signal meter shows WCAU coming in at a whopping 44-51 on the bar line....yet I STILL can't get ANYTHING on the screen. Not sure WHAT it's picking up, but I'll try and tweak it this weekend.

Also JUST ran into my First issue with the CM rotor---9521a. I had read a few forum comments on this model...and it seems that if you rotate (when you are playing around with it---like I was) up to 360 and back to 0, it looses it's "bearings". So your saved settings (for me---Philly and NYC) don't "match up" anymore.

Again, something ELSE I'll have to tweak this weekend.

post #190 of 2389 Old 03-28-2003, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

dswallow

I noticed last night as well that I was picking up additional channels that I would not normally get. I picked up 22 more when I did a scan last night.

Some of the ones i remember were:

WCTX WB 20 out of Conn.
channel 14 (dont know from where) it was a shopping channel
channel 16 (dont know from where) it was a shopping channel
Telefutura 65-1
Univision 65-2
WCAU 67-1

Plus a number of analog channels, most of them seem like low power repeaters?
post #191 of 2389 Old 03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gjohnsen2002
Entropy,

Have you tried the RatShack on Main St Somerville (in the Pathmark shopping Center)

Gary

That's my next target. I'll likely be there tomorrow meeting a friend for lunch in Somerville.

There's also one on Rt. 22 I may try.
post #192 of 2389 Old 03-29-2003, 09:13 AM

I have finally got my CM3041dsb in the mail and installed it last night. Replaced my existing RS amp. Unfortunately , except for some additional analog channels, I get no additional improvement on the digital side, still cant get Philadelphia ABC,FOX,NBC (I expected that).

... Next steps ????? can i use both amps??? . etc..

Thanks
Gary
post #193 of 2389 Old 03-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

No-go on the 2160 in Somerville.

Supposedly the following stores have it:
Parsippany
Madison
Cedar Grove??? (Was Cedar something.)
post #194 of 2389 Old 03-29-2003, 04:53 PM

Cedar Grove store is on Rt.23.Cedar Grove is just North of West Orange and about 8 miles West of Newark.
post #195 of 2389 Old 03-30-2003, 04:34 PM

I have finally seen ABC 6.1 !!!! Around 3:00 this afternoon, I witnessed part of the Mavs-Wolves game and 6.2 as well. It was VERY pixelated and could not get a steady picture, but I have witnessed it.

I also figured out my other problem I had with seeing a picture. My HD200 allows for 720p but my Panasonic TV only allowed 480p and 1080i. I finally remembered that setting on the STB, and changed it from VAR 1 to VAR 2 to upconvert 720 to 1080 and Eureka !!!

Now, to get a steady picture !!!! Can I /Should I combine both the 3041DSB and the RS 1191 together to try to boost the signal, or should I resort to adjusting the antenna again. I know I have it set to 229 degrees and illustratated on antennaweb.org.

Any suggestions as always would be extremely helpful !!!!
Gary
post #196 of 2389 Old 03-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gjohnsen2002
I have finally seen ABC 6.1 !!!! Around 3:00 this afternoon, I witnessed part of the Mavs-Wolves game and 6.2 as well. It was VERY pixelated and could not get a steady picture, but I have witnessed it.

I also figured out my other problem I had with seeing a picture. My HD200 allows for 720p but my Panasonic TV only allowed 480p and 1080i. I finally remembered that setting on the STB, and changed it from VAR 1 to VAR 2 to upconvert 720 to 1080 and Eureka !!!

Now, to get a steady picture !!!! Can I /Should I combine both the 3041DSB and the RS 1191 together to try to boost the signal, or should I resort to adjusting the antenna again. I know I have it set to 229 degrees and illustratated on antennaweb.org.

Any suggestions as always would be extremely helpful !!!!
Gary

The best way to aim an antenna is to twist it while someone is watching the quality of the signal. FRS radios are good for the communications aspect of this. Make sure to be behind the 4228 when doing this, that will minimize the effect you have on the antenna pattern.

Combining the 3041DSB with the 1191 may or may not help. Chances are it won't, and chances are good that it will hurt. (The 1191 will overload if there is a strong station nearby.) It's worth trying, but don't be surprised if it hurts. (Most likely candidate for overload is WNJB 58)
post #197 of 2389 Old 03-30-2003, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What with all the reports of people able to receive rather distant signals just by reaiming the antenna, I think the best solution is an IR remote rotator like the Channel Master 9521A (<$70). That gives you the most flexibility.

post #198 of 2389 Old 03-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dswallow
webboy, where would any antenna go that you installed? Outside on a mast off your roof or in the attic?

If you can do it yourself, start with a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna and a rotator such as the Channel Master 9521A. You can order online from www.warrenelectronics.com (they're listed as an onlinedealer at Channel Master's site). I've not found anyone around the area selling this stuff in a retail store.

Picking up the NYC stations will be a hit or miss thing, as you are quite far from them, however you should be able to get almost all the Philadelphia stations.

Thanks for the info, Doesn't matter to me where the antenna goes it was the wife i needed to convince. So today i bought the Silver Sensor for starters. I just happen to walk threw sears. I am now receiving cbs, abc, and pbs all out of philly.

A rotor with a remote seems to be the smartest thing as i can now see the signals getting stronger with every adjustment of the antenna. And i can tell you first hand how the weirdest places i place the antenna the signal gets stronger and weaker.

Any thoughts on the Terk TV55? I will return the Silver Sensor as soon as i order the Channel Master. I was thinking of playing with the Terk also. A friend of mine is waiting on my results before they start the OTA nightmare NJ seems to be. They are in a APT/Townhouse and probally couldnt mount an antenna on the roof, and have no attic.

I made the wife watch the Phillies game and i think she now sees the light on a roof antenna (Finally!).

Xbox Gammer Tag: webboy

------------------------------------
post #199 of 2389 Old 03-31-2003, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts on the Terk TV55? I will return the Silver Sensor as soon as i order the Channel Master. I was thinking of playing with the Terk also. A friend of mine is waiting on my results before they start the OTA nightmare NJ seems to be. They are in a APT/Townhouse and probally couldnt mount an antenna on the roof, and have no attic.

I

Believe it or not, the Silver Sensor is a better buy and will yield better reception than the Terk IMHO. I live in a condo also and have a CM 4228 up in the attic.

Good luck ..
Gary
post #200 of 2389 Old 03-31-2003, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, Doesn't matter to me where the antenna goes it was the wife i needed to convince. So today i bought the Silver Sensor for starters. I just happen to walk threw sears. I am now receiving cbs, abc, and pbs all out of philly.

A rotor with a remote seems to be the smartest thing as i can now see the signals getting stronger with every adjustment of the antenna. And i can tell you first hand how the weirdest places i place the antenna the signal gets stronger and weaker.

I made the wife watch the Phillies game and i think she now sees the light on a roof antenna (Finally!).

I *think* the general consensus is to RUN not WALK away from the Terk products

Not much "bang for your buck" AFA reception capabilities, especially if you are 20+ miles or so from the transmitters.

Did you not have any luck getting NBC (WCAU) out of Philly in HD?? If so you're one of the many

Your best bet, if you can do it yourself, would be a rotor and a quality UHF type antenna (CM, Weingard, RS etc...). Just ask a question and I'm pretty sure most of the folks here would be able to give you an educated answer....or at least BS to sound like the knew what they were talking about
post #201 of 2389 Old 03-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Terk TV55 is a piece of junk. You might as well hook a dummy load in place of antenna, it would probably work better.
post #202 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jaypb
I *think* the general consensus is to RUN not WALK away from the Terk products

Not much "bang for your buck" AFA reception capabilities, especially if you are 20+ miles or so from the transmitters.

Did you not have any luck getting NBC (WCAU) out of Philly in HD?? If so you're one of the many

Your best bet, if you can do it yourself, would be a rotor and a quality UHF type antenna (CM, Weingard, RS etc...). Just ask a question and I'm pretty sure most of the folks here would be able to give you an educated answer....or at least BS to sound like the knew what they were talking about

We played with antenna placement lastnight printed out degree marking and whipped out the old compass and started pointing in different directions. I was still only able to tune in 3 channels with any clarity; cbs, abc, nj pbs affiliate . Other channels were snowy and seemed to be just analog channels anyway.

Im now looking at the channel master fly swatter antenna and will probally order it today. My wife asked me a question i couldnt answer about a rotor. How does it get power to rotate? Would i have to run a power line to the roof and if so what would be better to just put it in the attic where there is plenty of electric.

BTW CBS OTA looks SOOO much better than DirecTV CBS. The wife now has the bug...
TIA!

Xbox Gammer Tag: webboy

------------------------------------
post #203 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 05:48 AM

Quote:

My wife asked me a question i couldnt answer about a rotor. How does it get power to rotate? Would i have to run a power line to the roof and if so what would be better to just put it in the attic where there is plenty of electric.

The power comes through the 3 or 4 conductor control cable that you run from the indoor control box to the rotor. It's low voltage, usually 12 to 24 volts.

Ray
post #204 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We played with antenna placement lastnight printed out degree marking and whipped out the old compass and started pointing in different directions. I was still only able to tune in 3 channels with any clarity; cbs, abc, nj pbs affiliate . Other channels were snowy and seemed to be just analog channels anyway.

Im now looking at the channel master fly swatter antenna and will probally order it today. My wife asked me a question i couldnt answer about a rotor. How does it get power to rotate? Would i have to run a power line to the roof and if so what would be better to just put it in the attic where there is plenty of electric.

BTW CBS OTA looks SOOO much better than DirecTV CBS. The wife now has the bug...
TIA!

I also have an E86 and am using the "fly swatter antenna" (ChannelMaster 4228 and have had decent results....again, the area I'm in seems to be hit or miss with getting ALL of the Philly locals (WCAU-DT especially). I also have a pre-amp (CM 7775) that has improved my ability to pick up WPVI-DT out of Philly.

AFA the rotor---I put up a CM 9521a 2 weeks ago and since then it has "lost" it's true north bearing...I believe there are several threads on this site dealing with the issues with this rotor. I'm happy that I can AT LEAST tool around from the basement since it came with a remote. Easy to hook up as well. Run the 3 wire cable to the roof, pop a hole in the side of the house near the ledger board, run the cable through the wall to the basement and voila! Same goes for the CM 4228--go to Radio Shack, get your masting, get your mounts and voila! Of course it's easier if you have a roof that's easy to work on---I'm in a ranch style house, so I had NO problems....of course, my antenna isn't as high as I'd like it to be...but, what are you going to do....
post #205 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 07:43 AM

Hi, I don't have my rotator up yet but was wondering if one of you guys with it connected could try to tune in something for me. I want to see if I can get MTV2 OTA, the 10000watts website says they are broadcasting low power. I'm in Metuchen (middlesex county) the tower is in Cranford, pretty close.... here's the info. Thanx!

WLBX-LP
22 ID: Cranford
Network Service: MTV2- videos

Facilities: 9.42 kw DA, 40° 42' 42" N 74° 21' 22" W
CP: move to channel 46, 50 kw, 40° 44' 46" N 73° 58' 52" W
post #206 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone getting a "lock" on the NEW digital PBS station out of New Brunswick that was supposed to go live today, 4/1/03??? I checked this Am and noticed a "52-2" on my E86 guide---was PBS You...didn't notice it last night, so I'm not sure if my E86 mapped it to 52-2.

Anyone??
post #207 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 09:41 AM

I noticed last night that WNJT, PBS out of Trenton had switched to 52-1, 52-2 instead of the usual 43-1 and 43-2. They have done this in the past. There analog signal is on channel 52 which is why I think they will switch to 52-1 etc.
post #208 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jaypb
Anyone getting a "lock" on the NEW digital PBS station out of New Brunswick that was supposed to go live today, 4/1/03??? I checked this Am and noticed a "52-2" on my E86 guide---was PBS You...didn't notice it last night, so I'm not sure if my E86 mapped it to 52-2.

Anyone??

I'll try tonight. If it's on, I'll be able to receive it, I'm VERY close to NB.

channel remapping = evil.
post #209 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Entropy512
I'll try tonight. If it's on, I'll be able to receive it, I'm VERY close to NB.

channel remapping = evil.

I agree with the remapping idea. I'm *usually* at head scratching stage when it comes to trying to figure out JUST what channel it is I'm watching. I'm not sure if it's a Directv database issue or a Hughes database issue or what...but the fact that "57-1" comes up for Local Channel and NOT as WPSG-DT is sometimes confusing...as well as "43-1/2/3/4" as Local Channel and NOT the PBS channel out of Trenton (which, BTW I STILL don't have a clue WHAT the call letters are).

Just this week I've noticed a "67-1" local channel (is this the same as virtual channel 10-1??) since I can't get that channel AT ALL. I've also seen "32-1" local channel...which is actually 57-1. Same thing goes for 6-1 and 6-2 and 64-1/2.

Maddening!!!
post #210 of 2389 Old 04-01-2003, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnr0836
I noticed last night that WNJT, PBS out of Trenton had switched to 52-1, 52-2 instead of the usual 43-1 and 43-2. They have done this in the past. There analog signal is on channel 52 which is why I think they will switch to 52-1 etc.

What kind of STB are you using? I have a Hughes E86. I sometimes wonder if it's the STB causing the confusion and/or PSIP issues that go along with the virtual designations/channel re-mapping.

I've only been playing this game for the better part of a month...and it's quirky...as that NY Times article that's been posted ad nausem talked about . I watch that PBS demo loop on 43-2/3 religiously at night. My two rugrats (2 1/2 and 5 1/2) are mesmerized by the picture quality/nature scenes/landscapes.

Is the demo loop on WHYY-DT and the New York PBS's the EXACT same ones at the EXACT same times??? Just curious as I STILL can't pick up ANY HD demo loops other than the one on 43-2/3.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page