Kansas City, MO - HDTV - Page 298 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8911 of 8939 Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I started noticing a few months ago that commercials are getting a strange combing effect. I've noticed this the most on 9.2, but I have seen it on other stations. This occurs on both my 1080p TV with built in ATSC tuner, and on an older 480i CRT television with a converter box. I've also noticed that sometimes near the end of the commercials (the last second or two), the picture will go black for an instant and then return without the combing, just before returning to the show. So this appears to be something that the stations are applying when showing commercials. The combing effect is apparent on everything, but especially noticeable on text. So what is going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 8939 Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, Time Warner has definitely shuffled channels around.

Good: My Silicon Dust grabs them correctly.
Bad: My Windows Media Center's guide doesn't see any of them as HD.. though if I chose one it clearly is in HD. So, I can't sort by HD or not.. I have no idea what is and isn't in HD...
post #8913 of 8939 Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was glad to see that the local HD channels seem to all be in the same place via clear QAM at work (standard tier,TWC,KCMO), even though the locals stations were alerting us to virtual channel number changes.

I heard small audio drop outs on ch 5 OTA during entire programs at 9pm Sunday and last night. This cleared as soon as the news started at 10. I still use matrix surround and heard it from the converter on my tv's digital out and on the analogue out of a stb HD tuner, which was amazingly in sync with the picture from the tv's tuner.

And unfortunately, Fox 4 chooses not to pass network audio in favor of the lousy audio we hear during local programming, so they can insert the ridiculous sound FX when weather alerts are scrolling. I guess I should be thankful they don't have to switch to SD video for this.
post #8914 of 8939 Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SureWest AKA CCI finally got around to adding new channels.

420 - FYI Network
435 - Fox Sports 2
450 - One America News
484 - PAC 12 Network
493 - MLB StrikeZone Channel

597 - One America News HD
658 - Fox Sports 2 HD
685 - FYI Network HD
695 - MLB StrikeZone Channel HD
696 - Fox Sports Midwest Plus HD
700 - Hallmark Channel HD
701 - Hallmark Movie Channel HD
702 - Lifetime Network HD
703 - Lifetime Movie Network HD

The One America News Network looks like a 24/7 news network run by a low budget college production. The graphics are not even sharp on the HD channel.
post #8915 of 8939 Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fox Sports 1 QAM on Surewest/CCI

Quick question: Does anyone know if Fox Sports 1 is available as a QAM channel on Surewest/CCI? I'm not finding one.

Thanks
-Ken
post #8916 of 8939 Old 09-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

I know it is available in analog, however I believe they also have Digital Simulcast so my Samsung TV has it in QAM-Clear on the same channel number as the analog channel.

That would be the Standard Definition channel, not the HD channel which isn't offered in QAM-Clear on CCI. (Fox Sports Kansas City is though)
post #8917 of 8939 Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Time Warner called and said they were going all digital on March 3. When asked he told me that meant all Clear QAM was going to go away. Whether he knew what he was talking about or not could someone here who has CCI/Surewest in Overland Park area tell me what the Clear QAM lineup is like on CCI. I would just as soon not have cable boxes in couple of locations. Most importantly are the local HD channels in the clear? I have an antenna challenged location.
post #8918 of 8939 Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosy View Post
Time Warner called and said they were going all digital on March 3. When asked he told me that meant all Clear QAM was going to go away. Whether he knew what he was talking about or not could someone here who has CCI/Surewest in Overland Park area tell me what the Clear QAM lineup is like on CCI. I would just as soon not have cable boxes in couple of locations. Most importantly are the local HD channels in the clear? I have an antenna challenged location.
According to the latest FCC rules, Cable co's no longer have to have analog OR Clear QAM channels anymore. The question is, will all their competition, especially in your market (with Googlenet), Just how many people will the want to piss off by shutting off clear QAM?. I would bet they won't do it.
post #8919 of 8939 Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Just how many people will the want to piss off by shutting off clear QAM?. I would bet they won't do it.
You'll probably loose that bet; TWC has already did this in NYC & couple other markets...& they have just as much competition, if not more, in that market than here.
They're following in Comcast's footsteps w/full encryption of the entire lineup, w/DTA's too.
post #8920 of 8939 Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
You'll probably loose that bet; TWC has already did this in NYC & couple other markets...& they have just as much competition, if not more, in that market than here.
They're following in Comcast's footsteps w/full encryption of the entire lineup, w/DTA's too.
You are probably right. I just talked to my brother who lives there. He was looking at his "digital converter" which TWC just sent him. He tried to set it up, but TWC is not currently ready to do that, just now.
post #8921 of 8939 Old 02-04-2015, 02:25 PM

TWC is going to convert all analog channels to QAM about 6 channels at a time. Shortly after that, all channels will be encrypted. No cable box or DTA as they call it, no picture. They are claiming it is to regain bandwidth to offer faster internet service. I think the time line is to be complete somewhere in April.
post #8922 of 8939 Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Made the switch back to TWC from DirecTV. I was presently surprised by the picture quality and channel lineup that changed in the past two years. I'm pretty happy with the switch.

Regarding the MAXX upgrade next month, will we see channel lineup changes?

Mike
post #8923 of 8939 Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM

A post above said TWC isn't ready to activate the digital adapters yet in KCMO. It seems that could be true, but if it is, someone needs to tell the people at TWC that are handing these out and supporting them. I picked up a DTA 170HD from the TWC store in Westport on Monday the 9th. It sits on a screen saying to wait for a required update and goes no further. Phone tech support couldn't wake it up either and suggested exchanging the adapter for another. I did that and it does the same thing. A tech is scheduled to come out next week. The people at the store assured me these can be activated now. I'll power it up every day for a few hours and see if the issue gets resolved before the tech visit.
I thought I would check out these adapters, since they are HD. There are no longer any HD clear QAM channels on my basic service. I thought I would check to see if there are any that are scrambled or if any appear after the changes are made. There are still a few SD digital channels I follow on basic, but price increases and paying for an adapter in a couple of years may end that.
I have a pretty reliable antenna system now in a difficult Brookside reception area that is usually stable on all channels OTA for watching and recording simultaneously. I still record in SD and the digital adapter could be a good recording source and provide the channels I follow that aren't available OTA.
post #8924 of 8939 Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc View Post
A post above said TWC isn't ready to activate the digital adapters yet in KCMO. It seems that could be true, but if it is, someone needs to tell the people at TWC that are handing these out and supporting them. I picked up a DTA 170HD from the TWC store in Westport on Monday the 9th. It sits on a screen saying to wait for a required update and goes no further. Phone tech support couldn't wake it up either and suggested exchanging the adapter for another. I did that and it does the same thing. A tech is scheduled to come out next week. The people at the store assured me these can be activated now. I'll power it up every day for a few hours and see if the issue gets resolved before the tech visit.
I thought I would check out these adapters, since they are HD. There are no longer any HD clear QAM channels on my basic service. I thought I would check to see if there are any that are scrambled or if any appear after the changes are made. There are still a few SD digital channels I follow on basic, but price increases and paying for an adapter in a couple of years may end that.
I have a pretty reliable antenna system now in a difficult Brookside reception area that is usually stable on all channels OTA for watching and recording simultaneously. I still record in SD and the digital adapter could be a good recording source and provide the channels I follow that aren't available OTA.
I had issues with both of my DTA's activating, but a call to tech support resolved it.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new Cisco 6 tuner DVR.
post #8925 of 8939 Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 AM

TWC update

It looks like TWC-KC is serious about going all digital and scrambling all channels. I had a service call to get my DTA 170 adapter going yesterday. He said these adapters need even more signal level to load your subscription info (required update) than their larger STBs. After confirming there was nothing connected between the feed and box, he immediately headed outside to inspect/replace the drop from pole to house. He also removed the physical trap which provided my basic service, so for now I have the full standard tier to any tv connected directly to the feed. That provided an average 3dB gain to the signal, which was enough to do the update and activate the adapter. The adapter is outputting the basic tier, channels 2-18.
TWC isn't my primary source of viewing, but I will have a front row seat to observe the transition as it occurs. As of now, the HD clear QAM channels are still the same as they were when I last had access to the standard tier at work, before I retired last August. I think I posted last year when TWC began providing virtual OTA channel numbers to the local HD clear QAM channels, along with program info.
post #8926 of 8939 Old 02-20-2015, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm considering signing up for TWC's TV, phone and Internet package, and am thinking about how I'll set up my home network. Can anyone tell me what device (make and model) TWC deploys when you have all three services? I assume it's a common device that functions as cable modem, wireless router and telephone gateway? Thanks.
post #8927 of 8939 Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post
I'm considering signing up for TWC's TV, phone and Internet package, and am thinking about how I'll set up my home network. Can anyone tell me what device (make and model) TWC deploys when you have all three services? I assume it's a common device that functions as cable modem, wireless router and telephone gateway? Thanks.
They gave me an Arris TG1672G:

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalo...PF_01JUL13.pdf
post #8928 of 8939 Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
Thanks. I noticed that the device supports MOCA, which would be useful, as I use MOCA for my home network. Hopefully they don't disable it in the device somehow.

Another question. I currently have their 100Mbps Internet service only, and I may decide to just stay with that. I'm using my own cable modem currently, but they'll be upgrading to 300 Mbps soon and my modem doesn't support that. Does anyone know what cable modem (with WIFI) they deploy for Internet service (without phone)? Depending on the device, I may start leasing it rather than buying a new one.
post #8929 of 8939 Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM

I picked up a couple of DTAs at the Overland Park store yesterday and hooked them up today with no problem. (Well, other than the remote programming procedure in the TWC booklet that is 100% wrong. Just follow the method on the sheet in the box.)

HD locals are all in HD (except KTWU, which is questionably local anyway.) I was pleasantly surprised to find several of the extended basic channels are in HD. (ESPN, CNN, TBS, TNT, most Fox properties, a few others.) I was completely unsurprised to see the vast array of letter-, pillar- and/or window-boxing techniques used on the rest. Name a style, and you'll find one (my favorite? Skinny 4x3) . I hope they choose one consistent method eventually. The local secondaries are also available, although I had to go poking around in the 1250s to find them.

As I was scrolling through, I noticed things like HBO's channel showing a "you are not subscribed to this channel" message. Which makes me wonder if they might implement old-school single-channel premium subscriptions using this technology.

We'll definitely keep the DTA for the kitchen TV. The second one is in my wife's craft room, which is also hooked up to a Roku 3 running the TWC app and gets almost all the channels our digital boxes get. She'll make the call on that one.
post #8930 of 8939 Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Well, I believe today is the day that TWC starts turning off analog channels. Anyone seeing changes yet?
post #8931 of 8939 Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 PM

A few analogue channels are gone.
post #8932 of 8939 Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
A few analogue channels are gone.
I noticed that my kitchen DTA was flashing red. Turned the TV on and there was a message about there being a service interruption. I changed the DTA channel to one of the locals and all is well. I'm not sure which channel I was on previously, but that channel apparently went digital?
post #8933 of 8939 Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM

The DTAs put out digital SD or HD. Others have said these boxes do what yours did when there is no program on that channel for whatever reason or if there is actually a service outage. If you have programs on other channels, it was just that one channel. I only have my DTA set up for starter/basic service, ch 2-18. If I select ch 20, it gives the outage screen. If I select other channels above my plan, it says my subscription doesn't support that channel.
I have found the same as was posted above about the DTA outputting HD for the locals and some cable channels. On my basic service, the locals and TBS are HD. Cable channels like government, education are not available in HD from the program sources. I don't know if WGN is available in HD to TWC, but it is SD on my DTA. I would think TWC could save more channel space and money by only having a single digital version of each channel, HD if available, or SD if not. Maybe this is what they are going to do, rather than just eliminating the space taken by analogue.

I had to throw the HDMI cable that came with my DTA in the trash. They really are putting too sharp of bends in these things so it will fit in the box. Mine dropped out constantly until I change it out with one of my cheapest cables. I tried to straighten out the bends and then it failed completely.
post #8934 of 8939 Old 03-13-2015, 09:29 AM

My last post was a little confusing on a couple of things. My understanding is that DTAs and most STBs as well do not have analogue tuners, only digital tuners. The whole point of the DTA is not to see the changes being made. Many program channels (WDAF) appear in analogue (ch 6), SD (ch 66.6) and HD (ch69.6). The DTAs are receiving ch 69.6, WDAF- HD. We use virtual ch number 6 on the remote to access it. TWC can save additional space and money by having one digital version of each program channel. Program channels that they receive in HD, would be passed to us on an HD channel, eliminating the analogue and SD channels. The DTA then can provide both HD via HDMI and an analogue RF out.

I connected my SLM with spectrum monitor to my TWC feed this morning and can see what they have done so far. Former analogue channels 9, 21-25, 61 and 62 are now digital channels. The spectrum for digital channels 82-89 is now empty. So I am guessing ch 82-89 were moved down to replace the removed analogue channels and they will continue to move the higher end of their spectrum down as they remove the analogues.
post #8935 of 8939 Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 PM

wow Time Warner Cable has Gone Digital Includes msnbc, E!, TCM, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV and Fox Sports. Digital adapter now.
post #8936 of 8939 Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM

Nickelodeon HD on Channel 258 or Channel 49 in digital and Frequency 69.00 MHZ on Channel 4 QAM Tuner
Cartoon Network HD on Channel 264 or Channel 58 in Digital and Frequency 717.000 MHZ on Channel 111 QAM Tuner
post #8937 of 8939 Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 AM

A couple of things stand out as I have watched the TWC transition this month. Of the 25 analogue channels that are now gone, I only found 2 missing during normal viewing. The others I found while occasionally channel surfing to see which channels are missing.
And I am seeing more picture glitches, dropouts on cable than OTA.
post #8938 of 8939 Unread 03-30-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
A couple of things stand out as I have watched the TWC transition this month. Of the 25 analogue channels that are now gone, I only found 2 missing during normal viewing. The others I found while occasionally channel surfing to see which channels are missing.
And I am seeing more picture glitches, dropouts on cable than OTA.
Same here regarding the glitches. I'm hoping these changes and dropouts are temporary.
post #8939 of 8939 Unread 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM

Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon has Gone all-Digital
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA046199.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	638345   Click image for larger version