Kansas City, MO - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 8913 Old 04-03-2003, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

unless KCTV gets their act together before the season starts we're out of luck in viewing much HD Chiefs football.

Unfortunately the ball is in our court to make them get their act together. Measures are currently being taken (per the kctvsucks forum) which hopefully will give KCTV no choice but to carry the HD signal, but we need to keep hitting them from all fronts. And we definitely need to act now to give them enough time to purchase and implement the HD equipment in time for (pro/college) football season.

Chris has recently notified an executive at CBS about the situation but it's not clear if we'll see any results from this. In the meanwhile, the more people that are involved in this campaign and the more KCTV/Meredith is aware of our dissatisfaction, the more affective we will be. It would also be nice if we had the support of HDTV retailers (CC, BB, Brandsmart, etc.) and local Bar/Restaurant owners to voice their opinion to KCTV on this matter. These retailers/services should have a serious interest in this matter especially when it comes to Chiefs football. The KCStar did a great job in the recent HD article but we need to build on that and keep the momentum going until KCTV cracks.

We've seen this done in Nashville and Phoenix and there is no reason why we can't get it done in Kansas City.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8913 Old 04-04-2003, 07:19 AM

Got this heads up from Aaron Barnhart.

He has another article running in the Star tomorrow regarding KCTV's lack of HD. Has to do with a fellow in Shawnee who's installed an antenna to receive WIBW the CBS affiliate in Topeka that broadcasts in 1080i.
post #63 of 8913 Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 AM

I love to hear news like this. Hopefully he grills KCPT hard this time regarding the lack of HD for the Men's NCAA Tournament, especially since the Jayhawks are in the Final 4.

This brings up another idea in the quest for CBS-HD. Chris mentioned earlier that the owner of a local bar wanted to put out a donation jar to help KCTV pay for the HD equipment. I suggest we put out this donation jar to help pay for WIBW to boost their signal strong enough to easily pick it up here (if feasibly possible).
post #64 of 8913 Old 04-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Psyclguy
Got this heads up from Aaron Barnhart.

He has another article running in the Star tomorrow regarding KCTV's lack of HD. Has to do with a fellow in Shawnee who's installed an antenna to receive WIBW the CBS affiliate in Topeka that broadcasts in 1080i.

I wonder who this guy in Shawnee is? It's not me (not that I haven't tried!).

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #65 of 8913 Old 04-05-2003, 10:09 PM

Here is the latest jab at KCTV!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...rt/5559682.htm

FWIW, the HD broadcast from WIBW today was great!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!
post #66 of 8913 Old 04-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Another excellent article.

Live, from Topeka, it's HDTV

The only portion of the article I don't like is the area where he defends KCTV:

Quote:

KCTV did start airing a separate digital signal last year. But the station won't add hi-def capability until a lot more people buy HDTV sets, which could take years. Fewer than 4 percent of homes nationwide have TV sets equipped with the new digital tuners that can translate hi-def signals.

He also did this in the first article which someone pointed out. This is the only flaw that I see in both of these articles which gives some sympathy to KCTV. He could have added that many people are not buying HDTV sets because there is little support for stations to broadcast HD in the KC area.

Other than that, it was another great article against KCTV. I hope Aaron keeps this going on a regular basis. Anyone else have a good story for Aaron that could be used against KCTV?

Also, I want to pass along some information on the KCTV5 website. There is a thread started there about KCTV not broadcasting the Final 4 tournament in HD - specifically regarding KU. Check it out here and feel free to voice your opinion.
post #67 of 8913 Old 04-05-2003, 11:04 PM

The most irritating thing about the KCTV situation is that when you visit their website and read their FAQ about Digital Television, it becomes readily apparent that they are almost contemptuous towards HDTV. I've tried to convey this to CBS in several e-mail messages.

KCTV DTV FAQ

Every chance they get, it's "DTV is hard to get, DTV is more expensive, DTV is complicated."

While there's certainly an argument that can be made for the added expense of DTV at this point, KCTV is pretty much single-handedly responsible for the "complicated" part in Kansas City. The "hard to get" part is completely unfounded, as even their DTV signal is strong. They just don't know what to do with it, apparently.

I recognize that they may be bound by policies imposed by Meredith (Worldnow?), but sheesh! The local UPN affiliate (KCWE-DT, 31) is HD ready (and broadcasting 720P!) and they don't even have HD content coming down from the network yet! UPN!
post #68 of 8913 Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 AM

$600??? for an OTA antenna???

Man, that's just nuts...but HDTV at any price right? The antenna guy - Norm Clark - referred to in the article is really good. He came and "tuned" my attic antenna as well. Very knowledgeable and very thorough. Maybe I'll call him again if I decide to do this - I wonder what sort of setup he ended up with...

Kendal
post #69 of 8913 Old 04-07-2003, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ksmith4
$600??? for an OTA antenna???

Man, that's just nuts...but HDTV at any price right? The antenna guy - Norm Clark - referred to in the article is really good. He came and "tuned" my attic antenna as well. Very knowledgeable and very thorough. Maybe I'll call him again if I decide to do this - I wonder what sort of setup he ended up with...

Kendal

That is pretty steep! I got three good antennas, coax, joiners, etc., for $200 (self-install).

I guess if they're including the nine hours of install time in this figure though, it's probably about right. I'd have to guess he'd bill out around $40/hour.
post #70 of 8913 Old 04-08-2003, 02:15 PM

If I remember correctly, he was at my house for @ two hours - the rate was $60 p/hr. My total bill was $150 - but it was worth it - good guy, would definitely recommend his services. He sells Channel Master stuff - though I didn't need a new antenna - he had them regardless.

Anyone know what the config/setup was for this guy in Shawnee to get WIBW?? Do you have to be set up to receive both the analog (13) just to receive the digital (43 - I believe that's the UHF freq for 13.1)??

I can't stand KCTV - no Final Four, no Masters, no CSI, no CBS anything !!!!!
(sorry...)

Kendal
post #71 of 8913 Old 04-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Aaron Barnhart is at the NAB and is reporting in a journal on http://www.tvbarn.com. Check out his reports on HDTV and DTV sightings.
post #72 of 8913 Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 AM

The last couple of days the signal strength I'm getting from KCTV-DT has dropped considerably. It used to be in the high 80's, low 90's, now it's in the mid 70's. Now, when I'm watching, the picture will frequently pixelize. Don't have any trees or other obstacles in my area blocking the signal.
I was thinking maybe KCTV has powered down their signal trying to save money since they're so financially strapped.

Anyone else notice this?
post #73 of 8913 Old 04-09-2003, 01:03 PM

I noticed some pixelization during the pregame to the NCAA final game Monday night. I checked the signal strength - it was @ 72 on my HD5 Mitsu receiver. I chalked it up to the rain and generally cloudy weather - everything else that night and since has been just fine.

Kendal
post #74 of 8913 Old 04-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have called KCTV about this very same low power problem. I have a clear line of site to the KCTV tower. When KCTV-DT first went on the air I had 95% signal strength now I have 55%. I was told from KCTV that the antenna AC power was being worked on, but to no avail on return to 95% signal strength. If you read Aaron Barnhart HDTV article in the KC Star, KCTV is listed at low power output. Please call KCTV engineering and let them know your low signal strength. Boy I am glad somebody else noticed this low power output from KCTV-DT.
post #75 of 8913 Old 04-09-2003, 06:45 PM

KCTV is at the low end of the local broadcasting spectrum in Kansas City. It's obvious they don't have any consideration for the viewer of their programing, just the almighty dollar.
post #76 of 8913 Old 04-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone seen any hint of KSHB's new tower going up yet? I haven't been in that part of town for awhile.

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #77 of 8913 Old 04-10-2003, 08:57 AM

Hey guys,

I just moved to Kansas City and was looking into finally getting an HDTV box for my tv. My question is whether or not I should get an OTA STB like a Samsung TI-165 or if I should go with Time Warner in this area??

Right now I'm in an apartment on the plaza so I don't know what kind of signal strength I'd get, but I'm soon moving out to a house.

Any help on which way would be the best would be appreciated!

ps- What is the best type of antenna?

Trevor
post #78 of 8913 Old 04-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to KC, Trevor!

Personally, I'd go with Time Warner (rent a box) until you move, at least. Then, depending on where you are in the metro area (we have guys on this thread all over town), we can help you figure out what you'll need for OTA, if you decide to go that way. It kind of depends on whether you want to go satellite or cable, basically. If you go with satellite, you'll want to go OTA on locals if at all possible.

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #79 of 8913 Old 04-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I called KSHB on NBC HDTV. Was told around June 2003.
post #80 of 8913 Old 04-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffdbs
I called KSHB on NBC HDTV. Was told around June 2003.

Did they say it would be 1080i? Hopefully they won't pull a KCTV on us.
post #81 of 8913 Old 04-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I asked about HDTV and was told yes. Probably a good idea for someone to talk to an engineer for the three stations on the tower. (41,38 & 50).
post #82 of 8913 Old 04-12-2003, 11:48 AM

Yet another HD article in the KC-Star by Aaron Barnheart.

The best for less at TV industry show

This article is focused more on HD radio but has a few paragraphs regarding HDTV.

Quote:

Speaking of falling prices, many TV stations have been waiting for the cost of equipment to come down before they'll carry high-definition broadcasts. Meredith Corp., which owns KCTV, has held off buying hi-def equipment for its stations on the grounds that it costs too much money to serve the few viewers who own HDTV sets.

That excuse may be a thing of the past, as a team from public broadcaster KCPT discovered. While roaming the NAB convention floor Monday, they found dealers slashing the prices on their equipment.

KCPT already has completed the first stage of its digital transition; it can carry hi-def shows from PBS on its digital channel 18. The next stage includes buying two pieces of equipment, a router and a switcher, which are crucial to letting the station air its own hi-def programs.

Bill Reed, KCPT president, had earlier been told those two items would run him a cool $1 million. So imagine his surprise when he found a router-switcher combo being displayed at NAB for one-fourth that cost.

"I was amazed," Reed said.

Meredith engineers were spotted roaming the floors of NAB. Maybe they were amazed, too.

Needless to say, Aaron seems to be as frustrated as everyone else on this thread regarding KCTV. This is the third article he's articulated to the public that KCTV is too cheap to provide it's viewers HD programming. Now that the equipment has become more affordable, KCTV has even less of an excuse. It may be time to send Kirk Black and company another letter. Does anyone have hard copies of the three recent HDTV articles from the Star? It might be a good idea to include cut-outs of these articles in the letter.
post #83 of 8913 Old 04-13-2003, 10:25 AM

I am debating whether it is worth it to get an HD box? I have direct tv and would like to get hd stations nbc, cbs, abc and fox. I believe I can get hbo and espn through direct tv. Is it worth plunking down the $600 for a HD box and then more for an antenna?

Bottomline is should I buy now or wait? Next question is what antenna would you recommend if I do purchase.
post #84 of 8913 Old 04-13-2003, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jlenz
I am debating whether it is worth it to get an HD box? I have direct tv and would like to get hd stations nbc, cbs, abc and fox. I believe I can get hbo and espn through direct tv. Is it worth plunking down the $600 for a HD box and then more for an antenna?

You cannot get ESPN-HD via DirecTV (or Dish) yet.

You can get HD-HBO, Showtime HD and HD.NET. But depending on which HD DirecTV box you get, you'll get an over-the-air tuner for free.

Quote:

Bottomline is should I buy now or wait? Next question is what antenna would you recommend if I do purchase.

The boxes will get cheaper of course. Things always do in the world of consumer electronics. The question is: do you want to wait? As you can see from the first posts in this thread, Kansas City is getting there with HD. KMBC (ABC) and KCPT (PBS) are on board. KSHB (NBC) will be here soon. KCTV (CBS) will eventually, whether they like it or not.

If you don't want to make an investment and live in an area served by Time-Warner, get cable. Their selection of HD channels is actually very decent, and they are not charging anything extra for the HD cable box. Their line-up is:

HD-HBO (east and west)
Showtime HD (east and west)
PBS (the national HD loop)
KMBC (ABC)
WDAF (Faux 480P)

All things being equal, upgrading your DirecTV system to HD and adding an antenna might make the most sense. It's not as if the format is going to change.
post #85 of 8913 Old 04-16-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke to an engineer at KSHB to get an idea about their progress and plans. Their tower has not been topped off yet, they are waiting for the last set of guy wires to arrive. Interestingly, it's not going to be a candelabra tower. The top is going to be KMCI, analog channel 38, replacing their current tower in Lawrence, KS. It gets the top of the tower to get the maximum reach and be able to serve the Lawrence market. After that, they will get KSHB, analog 41 running, mounted on one side of the tower, replacing their current antenna on the WDAF tower. Then finally, they'll be getting KSHB-DT, digital 42 running, mounted 120 degrees from KSHB, followed by KMCI-DT.

They are doing a first class job all the way, not cheaping out on any of it. For instance, all 4 antennas will have separate feedlines, no combiners. They will be passing NBC's 1080i programming, and upconverting all other programming with a Teranex. KMCI-DT will have a Teranex as well. They chose the Teranex not only for it's excellent scaling, but for it's top notch noise processing. KMCI shows a lot of old TV shows like "The Andy Griffith Show", and the Teranex should make them look as good as possible - and saving most of us $250,000. :-)

They are also going to be full power - no cheaping out like KCTV-DT or WDAF-DT.
post #86 of 8913 Old 04-17-2003, 06:41 AM

Chris - that's great news, thanks for the update. For those of us who've been living without two of the "big three" in KC for (what seems like) forever - this is excellent. Can't wait here in OP...

Kendal
post #87 of 8913 Old 04-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Chris - Thanks again for doing the legwork. All good info and good news! Did he give you any dates?

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #88 of 8913 Old 04-17-2003, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bradtothebone
Did he give you any dates?

No, he didn't want to commit to a date...can't say I blame him. I also can understand their timetable; a stronger channel 38 is money in their pocket. But I don't believe they'll want to delay too much between getting the different antennas up and working. Tower crews are very much in demand, and it's not easy to schedule them. Personally, I believe we'll see KSHB-DT in glorious 1080i sometime this summer.

I do have to wonder when and if KSHB is going to move off of the WDAF tower, permitting WDAF-DT to put up a proper antenna and go full power.
post #89 of 8913 Old 04-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a question: Would KSHB's channel 41 antenna work AT ALL for WDAF-DT channel 34? Obviously, it wouldn't be very efficient, but it would be orders of magnitude better than what they have now, wouldn't it? Couldn't this be a stop-gap until they can upgrade?

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #90 of 8913 Old 04-18-2003, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bradtothebone
Here's a question: Would KSHB's channel 41 antenna work AT ALL for WDAF-DT channel 34? Obviously, it wouldn't be very efficient, but it would be orders of magnitude better than what they have now, wouldn't it? Couldn't this be a stop-gap until they can upgrade?

Brad

I wouldn't know. KSHB apparently has a long-term lease on the tower, and doesn't actually have to move off even though they have a new tower. They could retain the antenna and transmitter at WDAF as a backup. That would be ideal from their point of view...a backup analog tower nearly as tall as their new one. From our point of view of course, this would be awful, as WDAF claims that they cannot put up a full power antenna for WDAF-DT until KSHB moves off.

I'm sure KSHB would move off of the WDAF tower if offered enough money by WDAF (yeah right.)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page