Kansas City, MO - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 8913 Old 04-29-2003, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just noticed on titantv.com today that they recently updated the live date for KSHB-DT. I know this isn't the official date they will go live but the stations do coordinate these dates with the FCC (titantv) and this does credit some of the rumors that were going around earlier of a possible June live date.

titantv.com - Digital Stations Coming Soon
Network CH Station Live Date
IND 36 KMCI-DT Jun 15 2003
NBC 42 KSHB-DT Jun 15 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8913 Old 05-04-2003, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone in KC alright??

My god, that was one hellacious storm.
post #93 of 8913 Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your concern, Timmy. Everything's fine in Shawnee. All the weather went north and south of us.

The only storm-related "problems" we've had were concerning KMBC not showing Alias in HD (I guess because they wanted the weather report bug to be on in the corner and can't insert it into the HD picture yet). Similarly, The Practice was shown in SD on Monday, so they could show a crawl along the bottom of the screen for their Salvation Army Storm Relief Drive.

I guess I'm willing to give up Hi-def for a couple of nights if that's all the "problems" I have!

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #94 of 8913 Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

I drove by the KSHB/KCMI tower Tuesday night 5/6. It appeared to be complete, with all four antennae installed, and, at least from my vantage point, it looked like the cabling was complete also. Looks like the first part of June might still be a good date!

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #95 of 8913 Old 05-08-2003, 02:49 PM

Oh Man, you beat me to it!! I was on the roof of our office building yesterday and I saw that it was complete.

FYI, the new big candelabra tower just to the north of KSHB/KMCI is where channel 50 is now broadcasting from. Their digital is almost on the air, they are waiting for their transmitter, according to FCC applications.

KUDL-FM also just moved over to that tower. It is a leased tower project built by Richland Towers. It has room for 20 TV-FM antennas!!

Anyone want to lease some tower space?
post #96 of 8913 Old 05-08-2003, 03:01 PM

Brad - since you and Chris have this one locked and loaded (it appears), now can you go fix KCTV for us???

if we try for Topeka, do we need to get channel 2 (VHF) first, before we can shoot for 43 (2-1 digital), or can we just try to pull in 43 by itself. Obviously, if i don't need to buy a combination V/U antenna, I don't want to, plus i've got to try to pull in more than one station. 2 probably wouldn't be a problem, i think i can see it today - but it's very snowy.

Any thoughts (other than we all hate Merideth!!) ??

Kendal
post #97 of 8913 Old 05-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Kendal - Slow down, man, you've got me confused. I THINK you're talking about WIBW (CBS), which is channel 13 analog and channel 44 digital. The only channel 2 (analog) in the area is KQTV (ABC) out of St. Joseph. Their digital channel is 53, and it's operating on an STA at a whopping 1.4 kW right now, so there's no chance you'll get it!

I've been able to get 13 (very snowy, with a UHF antenna), but have never gotten a sniff of 44. I've only tried during the day, and I've been working by myself (running up and down from the attic to the basement aiming and re-aiming) so I probably haven't given it my best shot. I'm going to try again after 38 moves from Lawrence to KC. I'm afraid, though, that WIBW-DT just doesn't have enough juice to make it into my attic.

I definitely wouldn't buy a combination VHF/UHF antenna, as you can get a pretty good indication of VHF signal strength from a UHF-only. I'm living proof, though, that getting the analog signal doesn't mean you'll get the digital (at least until they power-up). Good Luck!

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #98 of 8913 Old 05-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

KC Star ran a small article on Kansas City HDTV. http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...rt/5817827.htm
post #99 of 8913 Old 05-12-2003, 07:37 AM

Brad - you're right, sorry for my mixup. WIBW is 13, not 2. Probably doesn't reflect well that I'm getting St Joe and Topeka confused....

Thanks for the info. Definitely UHF all the way - I haven't tried at all yet, I need a weekend when nothing else is planned so I can do the same as you - aim and climb down and run to the stb/tv to see the results.

Kendal
post #100 of 8913 Old 05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody able to get a 1080i signal from KSHB-DT 42? I would think any day now we should see a test pattern on DT-42.
post #101 of 8913 Old 05-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I believe Chris Williams had talked to KSHB, and their plan was to get the two analog channels up and running before the digital, so it may be a while. I'll know the (analog) change has happened when I see a ghost-free image on channel 38!

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #102 of 8913 Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone get KC locals through Directv?? My wife called me and complained about the KCTV channel 5 saying it was pretty bad. Anyone else???
post #103 of 8913 Old 05-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Timmy - all I know is that for a few months while D* was providing the locals at no charge (Jan - March), the reception (to me) looked terrible. I watched the OTA signal all the time, even though I had the option of seeing it on the sat.

It validated my decision not to buy the locals (even for $2) from D* - it looked very bad.

Kendal
post #104 of 8913 Old 05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem cleared up, but KSMO(62) looks pretty bad on there.

tim
post #105 of 8913 Old 05-19-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by timmy1376
Does anyone get KC locals through Directv?? My wife called me and complained about the KCTV channel 5 saying it was pretty bad. Anyone else???

I'm getting KC locals through DirecTV. Here is my assesment of the quality of each feed:

FOX: WDAF (4) - No Ghosts, No Snow, Pretty Good
CBS: KCTV (5) - Looks Overcompressed.
ABC: KMBC (9) - Slightly Snowy, No Ghosts.
PBS: KCPT (19) - Looks Overcompressed.
UPN: KCWE (29) - Terrible Ghosting.
IND: KMCI (38) - No Ghosts, No Snow, Slightly Overcompressed
NBC: WDAF (41) - No Ghosts, No Snow, Pretty Good
PAX: KPXE (50) - Unwatchable. Scrambled almost.
WB: KSMO (62) - No Snow, Some Ghosting

Overall, I am unimpressed. I've only kept them because there is not yet an HD/OTA/DirecTivo.
post #106 of 8913 Old 05-19-2003, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

bocktar:
the only reason I have them is because of my directv tivo. Since it cannot record cable channels, I wanted them to timeshift. My wife watches Gilmore Girls, charmed, and Smallville on the WB, which goes from passable, to bad, and back again. PAX is awful, they might as well take it down. UPN is about as bad with the ghosts. I can see ghosts on CBS occasionally, but overall not too bad. I think 41 and 4 are the best.

Sure as hell beats cable here.
post #107 of 8913 Old 05-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

If the local program is not in OTA HDTV then I will watch a local channel in analog OTA. My television then takes the OTA signal and line doubles the picture to 480p. Old fashion OTA can sometimes produce a decent picture compared to my local channels provided by Dish Network. OTA HDTV 1080i or 720p is one of the best picture I have seen on television.
post #108 of 8913 Old 05-20-2003, 06:57 PM

New Station Reception

I just started receiving a new digital station this evening. It is KMOS, a PBS affiliate broadcasting from CMSU in Warrensburg. On my Samsung TS-160 receiver the station numbers are 6-1 and 6-2. The 6-2, KMOS-HD channel is HD and the PQ is excellent. Is anyone else receiving this station? I am in Lee's Summit so I am closer to the transmitter.

On another note, I cannot receive the channel 19 digital stations today. I used to be able to receive 19-1, 19-2, and 19-3. My receiver shows "Searching for signal". Anyone else having this problem?
post #109 of 8913 Old 05-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Psyclguy- Yes digital 18 is down. Do you have an antenna rotor? Its almost 10pm and right now I am not getting a signal on 6-1. My OTA antenna is pointed west. KCTV digital 24 signal is stronger now but moves up and down between 75% and 89%. Thank God for KMBC digital 07, 96% and true HDTV.
post #110 of 8913 Old 05-20-2003, 08:25 PM

No rotor. I have the antenna in the attic pointed approximately 340 degrees NW. I am still receiving 6-1 with very excellent HD reception that rivals HD-Net.
I have noticed the last couple of days that KCTV digital signal strength is at 100%. What's strange about this is although the signal is stronger (used to be 77%) it pixelizes frequently. Wonder what they're doing?
post #111 of 8913 Old 05-21-2003, 12:11 PM

OK, just went to the FCC website. KMOS is digital channel 15. Their tower is just east of Sedalia. They don't have a Special Temporary Authority so I assume they are operating at their licensed power of 322 kW.

From my house this would be about 100 miles away and I would have to point my antenna to the east. Please keep us posted if you receive consistant reception or if this is just an atmospheric occurence.

I am seeing the same problems with KCTV. My strength is at 100% but the picture breaks up frequently. I was at 77% with a steady picture a few days ago. It's just our luck that they will go HD but it will be unwatchable with too many breakups.
post #112 of 8913 Old 05-21-2003, 06:38 PM

I sent an email to KMOS inquiring about their broadcasting and here is a portion of the reply I received from Michael O'Keefe, Program Manager:

"Thank you for your note regarding our digital broadcast. We have just recently boosted our transmitter output to 100 percent capacity, and that explains why you just now start receiving. We only began using the transmitter on May 1.
We are simultaneously broadcasting an up-converted version of our analog signal, and a continuous stream of High Definition programming sent by PBS. We have limited our digital broadcast hours to 9 hours a day - beginning at 3p.m. and signing off at midnight."

The signal I receive is as good as HD-Net through DirecTV, which is excellent. I'm surprised I receive it since my antenna is pointed in the opposite direction.
post #113 of 8913 Old 05-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I got KMOS! I installed a Radio Shack small UHF outdoor antenna pointed toward KMOS. Even though this antenna is pointed toward Warrensburg I still receive all my Kansas City channels at almost the same signal strength. But if I point the UHF outdoor antenna toward Kansas City I loose the KMOS signal . So I repointed the UHF antenna back toward Warrensburg. I installed an A/B switch so now I have access to both my attic antenna and my new little chimney mounted UHF KSMO antenna. Maybe Chris Williams can explain why our antennas do these strange things.
post #114 of 8913 Old 05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Also I e-mailed KSHB about their story on cable vs satellite.

Dear Channel KSHB Channel 41,

I watched your consumer news on cable vs. satellite but you forgot to mention satellite receivers allow a consumer to hookup an Over the Air antenna and receive free local channels. Also the new satellite HDTV receivers allow me to see my local Kansas City channels in true HDTV Over the Air programming( KMBC DT-07, KCPT DT-18) free! By the way I noticed a new television tower on the Kansas City skyline is KSHB going true HDTV? Dear Jeffrey:
You're right...we should have mentioned that. Yes...our new tower is going on line this summer. Channel 38 gets the first boost during the first week of June...and our digital signal (true HDTV) for 38 & 41 will be up and running in July. Stay tuned...I'm sure we will do stories on it.
Debbie Bush
News Director
post #115 of 8913 Old 05-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update, Jeff! Sounds like they're a little behind schedule, but not too bad compared to that certain CBS affiliate that shall remain nameless. Upconverted old sitcoms on channel 38 don't sound terribly appealing, but at least they'll be ready if something DOES come along in HDTV.

Brad

- Joe Walsh
post #116 of 8913 Old 05-22-2003, 03:40 PM

It would be nice if 38 or 29 could get their hands on that Paramount HDOne movie package that other cities have. There are a lot of good movies in that package.

Is 38 going to let the general public know about the switch from Lawrence to KC? I usually don't watch the news on 38, so I may have missed something. Right now there is nothing for the general OTA viewer to let them know that they may have to adjust their antennas very soon.
post #117 of 8913 Old 05-22-2003, 08:36 PM

Can someone explain why my big a$$ outdoor antenna cannot get KMBC channel 9 anymore but when i hook up my bowtie one, works fine (except when i walk in front of it)

When i installed the outdoor antenna originally , i had it moved to the best signal on all channels and worked great..

Now, it works just fine on all the other channels except the only true HDTV station channel 9...; What gives??
post #118 of 8913 Old 05-23-2003, 11:52 AM

you may be "overdriving" your receiver with too much signal with the big one. Or, I had a similar problem with pixelization on KMBC, which was a bad OTA digital tuner in the stb.

they're hard to isolate - hope that helps.

Kendal
post #119 of 8913 Old 05-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have a link for a listing of analog and digital Kansas City stations and their power output. http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=kan
post #120 of 8913 Old 05-31-2003, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Once again KMBC-DT 07 had a great broadcast in HDTV-The Stanley Cup Hockey Game. Had a neighbor up the street who is a hockey junkie( DirecTV center ice package) come down and watch the game in HDTV. Not only did the quality of the HDTV picture grab my neighbor attention the sound of the arena made my neighbor look around the room.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page