Kansas City, MO - HDTV - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 8916 Old 05-27-2004, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
kcsooner--yes, i have an almost identical setup with similar problems. However, I have another identical Pio STB hooked to a plasma and have not seen this kind of lockup. In both cases the STBs are hooked up via component
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 8916 Old 05-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

KSMO WB62 (DT-47)

I have a Dish 6000 and I am able to receive DT-47 ok. Hopefully WB 1080i HDTV is on schedule to fill the Kansas City airwaves by late summer 2004.
post #1623 of 8916 Old 05-28-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffdbs
Hopefully WB 1080i HDTV is on schedule to fill the Kansas City airwaves by late summer 2004.

I talked to the Chief Engineer at KSMO two weeks ago and he stated that they were "hopeful" for Mid-September, just in time for the new fall programming. He still has no idea why some viewers (like avalanche & myself) cannot resolve their PSIP issue.
post #1624 of 8916 Old 05-28-2004, 07:18 PM

KSMO

Eyedox, you said that the PSIP info on KSMO DT-47 was crap. If the PSIP info on a signal is hosed up or whatever, can that prevent a tuner from decoding the signal? When I try to scan that channel with my 811, it's signal strength tops out at 49%, and I get a 'Signal Lost' error and that's it. As far as I know, the 811 doens't do anything with (or at least doesn't display any PSIP stuff) so I'm wondering if our problem is the same. Or maybe I'm just stupid and overthinking again. As you may have guessed, I'm easily confused...
post #1625 of 8916 Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 PM

Yes, a faulty PSIP code can prevent certain 8VSB/ATSC tuners from decoding a signal properly. My Mits shows that there is a signal at DT-47 but cannot do a thing with it to resolve a picture or sound.
post #1626 of 8916 Old 05-31-2004, 09:05 PM

Eyedox & Avalanche -

I was in the same boat as both of you were with KSMO-47DT and my RCA DTC-100 tuner. I had previously gotten a picture without a problem and then suddenly I had no picture but I could see a signal signal fluctuating between 0 and 100 in the setup menu for the STB. I had assumed faulty PSIP information was the problem but after checking all of the connections between my antenna and the DTC-100, I found that the problem was a modulator that I use to distribute LD/DVD signals through the house. It has two channels and somehow the channel that I don't use had shifted slightly off of its assigned frequency and was causing interference with the digital signal for KSMO. After readjusting it back to its original setting, KSMO reappeared. Don't know if this will help either of you but just thought that I would relay my experience.

Kurt
post #1627 of 8916 Old 06-01-2004, 01:25 PM

Any news on the Time Warner HD PVR? Anyone out their have "friends" who are trying out the beta units?

June 1 seemed like an appropriate time to ask again!
post #1628 of 8916 Old 06-01-2004, 01:30 PM

Although I sent out a follow up email today, I still don't have my beta unit.

On May 20th, I was told the following by Michael Davolt, Director of Customer Service.

"We have a shipment in, but still waiting on final software code to be written. I have a box already saved for you. Not sure on the code I've heard any day to a week."

Craash

I want to be as good of a person as my wiener dog thinks I am.

My Home Theater
Got Twins? We do!
post #1629 of 8916 Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM

Wow, that was fast. As of today, June 1, Michael Davolt told me:

"Still no word on our end. They keep saying any day, but the programmers are still struggling with the software."

Craash

My Home Theater
Got Twins? We do!
post #1630 of 8916 Old 06-01-2004, 10:27 PM

Quick favor ...
Would you all take a second to go to TWC KC website here and request a few HD channels ... there is strength in numbers, and if enough of us bug them, maybe they will add them sooner.
http://www.twckc.com/company/contactUs.asp?s=ch
Ask for BRAVO-HD & ESPN-HD. If you have time, ask for StarzHD, EncoreHD, CinemaxHD, TMC-HD, and the local UPN and WB affiliates in HD.
Thanks in advance for your help!
post #1631 of 8916 Old 06-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Liked: 11
Avalanche -

Any luck on your KSMO 62 (DT-47) problem?

I also lost signal several weeks ago - I am at 159th and Ridgeview and had been getting great signal strength (88-92). It seems I can get a sporadic picture on overcast days but lately all I get is 'searching for signal...'

Just wondering what you have found...
post #1632 of 8916 Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM

LSonsthagen,
So far I haven't gotten anything better, 49% and no picture. I checked all my connections, it's just a straight run from antenna to reciever. And those look good. Not sure what else to check at this point, but for the time, I'm not too awful worried, I don't watch much KSMO. But I would like it to be there for the times I do.
post #1633 of 8916 Old 06-07-2004, 10:08 AM

Anyone having trouble when ABC programs are in 5.1 sound on KMBC? I'm accessing through TWC on channel 1421. For the Stanley Cup final games and the NBA game last night, I have to turn up the sound quite a bit higher than the rest of my channels, but it's only the case when the DD 5.1 sound is active. It's usually the opposite with 5.1 sound on all the other channels - the 5.1 sound is louder than the 2.0 or analog signals. Is this done intentionally at the affiliate? Or an ABC thing? Could it be fixed so we don't have to turn it up so loud??

Can't wait for game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight. Anyone who hasn't/doesn't watch hockey, check it out tonight in HD. The picture is beautiful and the Stanley Cup will be awarded, guaranteed. Nothing is better!!!
post #1634 of 8916 Old 06-07-2004, 10:16 AM

Yeah, Squeak, I noticed it last night too, but I was watching our TV that's not hooked up to a surround receiver, so I was just watching through the
TV speakers, so I didn't notice if it was in 5.1 or not. I just noticed it was pretty quiet, because when I changed channels during a commercial, I woke up our kids!

Now, if we could just get ESPNHD, I'd be all set. Anyone hear anything anywhere about TW and ESPNHD? Are they close to an agreement???

--Jayhawk
post #1635 of 8916 Old 06-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jayhawk

Now, if we could just get ESPNHD, I'd be all set. Anyone hear anything anywhere about TW and ESPNHD? Are they close to an agreement???

No news as far as I know. Hopefully since there'll be 7+ hours a day of true HD programming, they'll get the lead out, but I doubt it. I started a thread on the HDTV Programming folder, so check there - maybe somebody will have news.
post #1636 of 8916 Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak49
Anyone having trouble when ABC programs are in 5.1 sound on KMBC? I'm accessing through TWC on channel 1421. For the Stanley Cup final games and the NBA game last night, I have to turn up the sound quite a bit higher than the rest of my channels, but it's only the case when the DD 5.1 sound is active. It's usually the opposite with 5.1 sound on all the other channels - the 5.1 sound is louder than the 2.0 or analog signals. Is this done intentionally at the affiliate? Or an ABC thing? Could it be fixed so we don't have to turn it up so loud??

According to technicalitalian at KMBC, they're aware of this problem and working on it. It seems to be a little worse the last few nights, though.

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #1637 of 8916 Old 06-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks KMBC the Stanley Cup game # 7 looked great and sounded good.
post #1638 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would mimic the comment regarding the picture on the Stanley Cup game #7 - however, the sound is still terrible on the TWC HD Channel 1421.

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #1639 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
I don't think the sound on 9-1 is a Time Warner issue. I have the same problem OTA. Also have very low audio on 50-1 (50-2, 50-3 ,50-4 are fine).
post #1640 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 AM

anyone know of a good ISF tech in the kc area?

where's the any key
post #1641 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 09:11 AM

ABC's audio issue isn't a TWC problem. I get ABC OTA and through Comcast and both are doing it... Game 7 sure looked nice though...
post #1642 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

The audio I received from KMBC DT-07 in Dolby Digital 5.1 came though in good shape for me through OTA. The board checking and puck slapping was almost like being there at the Stanley Cup game #7. What kind of audio problems are people having on DT-07?
post #1643 of 8916 Old 06-08-2004, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

I can respond to the TWC - Channel 1421. Typical volume setting on receiver for non-digital channels = -25 dB. For digital, including HD channels = -35 dB, for Channel 1421 = - 10 dB. It is indicating DD, but transmitting only center channel output. This is a good 25 dB difference between ABC and the other digital channels.

For the TWC Channel 12 - Standard Def ABC - Setting is -25 dB and my Dolby PLII is doing a fantastic job of setting up a good surround feel.

Mike

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #1644 of 8916 Old 06-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Cyclone, you should hear what Neo:6 can do.

I hear all of you guys on this issue. I haven't been watching any NHL or NBA (I HATE THE NBA!!!), but in my past experience, the sound is still good, just quiet with KMBC. I can't really complain about that. Before I change the channel, I just turn down the volume. Not too much of a hassle.

... And on the seventh day, God created the remote!
post #1645 of 8916 Old 06-09-2004, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've got Neo:6, I like DD PLII better! To each their own, that's why we have competition.

Regardless of turning volume up and down, they need to get it fixed at KMBC.

Mike

post #1646 of 8916 Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 AM

I bet that you probably like DD EX better than DTS ES also. Like you said, to each his own.
post #1647 of 8916 Old 06-10-2004, 08:19 PM

I definitely prefer DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete (to DD-EX). But DD-II PL seems to do a better job than DTS Neo:6 for my Yamaha receiver at assigning 2-channel sound to the other speakers properly. I wonder if it depends on the receiver somewhat.
post #1648 of 8916 Old 06-11-2004, 09:37 AM

It's less the receiver than it is the receiver-speaker combination...combined with room acoustics. On better receivers and most pre-pro units, the user can also tweak individual speaker volume and delay settings. Properly establishing the actual and logical sound fields has a profound impact on overall sound stage and presence.

So it is absolutely an individual preference, but I can assure you DTS NEO:6 at your house will not sound the same as at mine. A properly calibrated system should always be calibrated to the listener's preference - so who's to say what is truly better or worse? There are no magic formulas for setting the sound fields - just starting guidelines.

Given the amount of money we're spending on hardware - it's nice to know we can make our systems perform the way we want it to, not how some white coat in a perfectly square, acoustically treated room says it should. By the way, this is why we should all demand that the local broadcastes not modify the sound or video in any way - I want to have the capability to view and listen in the manner that best suits the conditions of my personal theater. I don't want the boradcasters to adopt a "what's best for the masses is best for all" position.

...just my two cents...
post #1649 of 8916 Old 06-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by js615
. . . we should all demand that the local broadcastes not modify the sound or video in any way - I want to have the capability to view and listen in the manner that best suits the conditions of my personal theater. I don't want the boradcasters to adopt a "what's best for the masses is best for all" position.

...just my two cents...

Here, here!!! js615 for president!!

Craash

My Home Theater
Got Twins? We do!
post #1650 of 8916 Old 06-11-2004, 09:50 AM

Right on!

I love the tweaking ability I have with my Kenwood VR-7080. The THX Select Certified enhancements make EVERYTHING sound better (well, not everything, I just can't listen to DSP enhanced music. It sounds weird to me no matter what. I have to have SACD or DVDA for multichannel music)

On the other side, it's funny that with all that tweaking ability, I still prefer true source over any modified stuff when it comes to DD or DTS surround. The only thing I ever turn on for true surround sources is the THX stuff. The reason I turn that on is that the only thing they do is alter the surround mix from its meant for movie theater setup to a meant for home theater setup. Of course, this doesn't apply to multichannel music, since they are mixed for the home theater in the first place.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page